GENESYS Systems Integrator

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.3

Patrick Perry

Had a great experience at GENESYS and got to learn a lot of new skills

I worked at GENESYS Systems Integrator

Pros

The best part about working at GENESYS was the responsibility that they trust you with. The people are very helpful and there are no closed doors in the company. Everyone is more that willing to spare a couple minutes to answer a question or just talk.

Cons

Smaller company so it can be harder to climb up the corporate ladder easily. Training program can be a little bit better as well.

Employees are asked to travel up to 89%

I worked at GENESYS Systems Integrator as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

The employees are absolutely amazing to work with.

Cons

I was asked to leave my family for 6 months for one of their customers.

I agree with the reviews. We are seeing a decline in employee satisfaction @ Genesys.

Motion with Purpose

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at GENESYS Systems Integrator full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part of working at GENESYS is the people you get to work with on a daily basis. I recently took a week off to travel which reminded me that not all places in the world are like GENESYS. The trip made me appreciate the people I get to work with on a daily basis even more. Rarely do you find a large group of "A" players who are also humble enough to work together in the best interest of the entire organization. At GENESYS, each individual provides the potential, but the teamwork creates the results.

Cons

GENESYS works in a high-stress, fast paced industry. Those who are able to excel in the constant change, think, and react quickly are able to thrive in this environment. GENESYS takes on high profile projects where the individuals who make the decision to work with GENESYS may be putting their job on the line, and they count on GENESYS to make that project/venture/initiative a success. Often the jobs are not only successful but the jobs are so successful that the individuals that GENESYS works with end up getting promoted. Knowing that the work you do on a daily basis has a large impact on the success of GENESYS and the client is challenging and rewarding at the same time.

Continue to drive new initiatives that keep GENESYS at the forefront of the industry, but do not lose sight of the core competencies and strengths that has allowed GENESYS to get to the great company it is today. Keep working to ensure that GENESYS remains one of Kansas City's Best Places to Work and apply for more industry awards. GENESYS has all the right ingredients to be recognized for the success it has generated such as being an industry leader in the automotive and fiberglass automation, integration, and material handling industries while developing a culture that is second to none.

Very satisfying overall, fantastic company culture

I have been working at GENESYS Systems Integrator full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a member of the operations department, I find that my voice is always heard. There is a fantastic company culture that shines through in all facets of the company.The employees of GENESYS became my family and it was a seamless formation witnessing my coworkers become my social group outside of work. My direct superiors continue to request a gauge on my happiness at "G" and encourage me to pursue professional interests that could potentially morph into other positions at the company. I also strongly appreciate the emphasis on living a healthy lifestyle and the means in which GENESYS helps you accomplish your goals towards a healthier lifestyle. General work flexibility, not taking each other too seriously, fun and different events (Colorado ski trips!), unpredictable day-to-day tasks, and a beautiful work space are additional perks.

Cons

The location of GENESYS is not in the best part of Kansas City, so you do need to be extra wary when you meander this area of town. The workload on behalf of engineering and manufacturing isn't always at a constant, so one needs to be prepared for peaks and valleys. Some jobs come at high-stress levels and long hours/weekend work can be required. Extra help for the admin department would also be extremely beneficial.

Bringing in a receptionist would free up the two girls at the front to focus on more higher-level tasks that get bogged down by smaller, very time-consuming tasks. In general though, I stand behind the decisions of upper management and trust their decisions.

Trickery at it's best

Current Employee - Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at GENESYS Systems Integrator full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fruit for breakfast daily. Go home late at night.

Cons

You get to work long hours every week for 40 hrs. pay. Management tricked the employees into accepting a larger base salary and not be paid hourly. Then we got busy and now the employees are making less money than they would be if they were hourly pay.

You already work us to death, and now you insult us for it as well.

Best company I have ever been employed with

I have been working at GENESYS Systems Integrator full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company emphasizes making the work environment a place where people like to come to work, enjoy who they work with and providing a culture that is fun, collaborative and creative. Good health and wellness program.

Cons

Cyclical work load with some of their customers. It can be difficult to forecast resources and labor when a portion of their revenues come from industries that make capital improvements at certain times of the year.

Once a great company now a pile of wreckage

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at GENESYS Systems Integrator full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture based on healthy living. Fair pay and decent benefits for such a small company. Flexible schedule if you need to run an errand or go to the doctor.

Cons

Management has good intentions but they frequently make risky or ill-advised business decisions out of desperation to survive. Those decisions always lead to longer hours and layoffs for employees and a sub-culture of working on a constantly sinking ship. The suggestions and fears of the employees are rarely acknowledged or addressed.

Stop changing the business plan every 3 months. Hire a professional who is educated and experienced to run the company. Stop making impulsive decisions out of your need to be "different."

Good people, great work

Former Employee - Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at GENESYS Systems Integrator full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good company to get exposure to different industries (primarily automotive & fiberglass) and the experience I gained was very valuable.
     - The wealth of industry specific knowledge. Everyone was good about teaching me what they knew and very resourceful.
     - The freedom to work the way I wanted to. Had a very good manager who understood this and let me set my work schedule.
     - Good company culture and emphasis on wellness.

Cons

- Long hours and fluctuating workload.
     - Mediocre feedback on performance.
     - Mediocre salary and benefits.

During my time, the company ownership didn't seem to have a clear identity of the company and the company vision kept changing constantly. This resulted in a decent amount of turnover within the organization.

Overall, I enjoyed my work at Genesys and had a good experience. There is limited mobility/growth within the company, so if that's your goal then I would think hard about working for this company. But instead, you would like to get experience in a couple different industries then Genesys might be the company for you. After about 1-2 years, figure out if you want to continue or move to a larger organization.

Broken Trust

Former Employee - Ex-employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Ex-employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at GENESYS Systems Integrator

Pros

"Free" healthcare and friendly work environment. New office and shop. Decent location just of the highway.

Cons

Heavy work load generally. No clearly defined job title or description of work to be performed or expected. Creative but ineffective review process.

Confidential reviews should be secure and not penetrated by former IT managers. This is why I am no longer an employee, but would happily come back if the Engineering & Shop Manager was someone else (besides a former IT manager who can access the confitential review information).

Great Place to Work Inspite of A Few "Wrong Calls" by Owners/Managers which forced them to do major downsizing

Former Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at GENESYS Systems Integrator

Pros

The main manager (non-owner manager) of Genesys is probably one of the nicest human beings I have ever had the pleasure to meet, much less work for. They also promote health/fitness, balance between personal/professional life and I feel every employee is listened to there when they give their input on operations, etc.

Cons

Small company so there is not a much room for growth.

I had no issues with any of the management at Genesys. During their major down-sizing however, there were others that felt they were not given proper notice or compensation upon their release. I however, felt that Genesys went into survival mode and did the best they could in order to keep their doors open. Obviously, some wrong decisions were made which caused the need for the major down-sizing, but I truly believe management learned from their mistakes and I, or anyone else doesn't need to advice them of that.