GENEX Services Reviews

Updated March 11, 2015
88 reviews filtered by
2.1
Peter C. Madeja

Pros
  • I also was able to work from home and manage my own time as needed to complete my work (in 16 reviews)

• Flexible hours, independence, work from home (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Tedious, repetitive paperwork, and micromanagement have made the case managers miserable (in 16 reviews)

• Poor work life balance- many days you are on the road all day and you are up all night and weekends to keep up with billing and reports (in 6 reviews)

Growing company

I have been working at GENEX Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good leadership in managerial roles

Cons

billing guidelines are sometimes tedious

Feb 25, 2015Senior Product Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review and your kind words regarding our management team. We appreciate your dedicated service to the GENEX team!

2. Field Case Manager

Current Employee - FCM in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - FCM in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GENEX Services

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

Report writing and due dates create a poor work life balance

None

I have worked for this company for 6 years. HELP!!! I need another career/job.

Current Employee - RN Case Manager
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager

I have been working at GENEX Services

Pros

None that come to mind.

Cons

Push for billing. Pay is not good. Expected to drive and attend appointments all day. Then, work all night and weekends to get billing in and reports done for threshold days. When you add up the hours worked compared to what is allowed to bill, a case manger barely makes minimum wage. Unable to take care of yourself or attend doctor appointments due to expected work load. Case managers may work for 24 hours or longer without sleep to get billing in and reports done. Stress level is astronomical. Sales marketing has no clue what case managers do. They promise things to companies that are not reasonable and add pressure to case managers all to get contracts. Company promises work comp insurance carriers report formats that take 2 to 3 hours to do and you can only charge .5 for the report. GENEX also allows work comp insurance carriers to dictate their own individual report formats be used which makes it difficult for the case manager to follow so may formats which adds to the time to do reports. The computer system is slow and there is always issues which makes it even harder to do the job in a timely manner. Supervisor is always on your butt to get more billable hours, threatening you, writing you up, so they can make their unreasonable goals to make their bonuses. It is difficult to make case manager bonuses. You are expected to pad billing to make hours. There are so many cons to this company. Benefits are not good. Case managers are expected to know each company's special instruction/ billing guidelines which are neither up-to-date or non existent when you pull them up in system. Genex basically sells out their case managers to companies with unreasonable expectations because they basically have no clue as to what case managers have to do out in the field. No raises or very low raises. In 6 years, only make $1.00 more an hour than when first hired. No personal life because of expectations in getting billing in. Working for Genex is bad for your health and will eventually affect your health in a bad way due to the stress of making billing and working long hours. A case manager can only charge for time worked that Genex sales marketing contracted with insurance carrier no matter how long it takes to do the job. There are days when a case manager may work an 8 hour day and can only charge for about an hour. Where is the fairness in that? Ridiculous. I would rate this company a zero; however, that option is not available.

Genex should be concerned about their case managers. They should not promise things to insurance carriers without knowing what it takes for a case manager to meet those expectations. Genex needs to take care of the case managers who make this company and are out there representing Genex. Case managers are the face of the company because without the case manager's ability to work with the work comp carriers Genex would not have a company.

Enjoy working from home!

Current Employee - Utilization Review in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Utilization Review in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at GENEX Services

Pros

Enjoy working from home with flexible hours. Management are easy to work with as long as your do your job. If you like challenges, this is the place for you. Fast working environment.

Cons

Poor health benefits. Like any other corporation, need to meet productivity goals.

Awful Company to be attached to

Former Employee - Senior Case Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Case Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at GENEX Services

Pros

You can work from home, but the hours you have to work to make the billing minimums far outways any type of work/life balance

Cons

The billing expectations are unreasonable. Senior management does not care about the work/life balance of their employees, even long term employees. This is an awful and greedy company to work for.

Treat your staff better, since they are the ones making the money for your huge compensation packages. I am glad I left after 3 years. If you don't take care of staff, there will be a huge turnover of people, as soon as the economy improves to the point that people do not have to work here anymore.

7. Clerical Staff treated like second-class citizens

Former Employee - Documentation Specialist
    Former Employee - Documentation Specialist

I worked at GENEX Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Management buys you lunch on end of the month
    - Some of the case managers are pretty awesome
    - Sometimes will let you work from home if there is inclement weather (hours after management leaves to "see if the roads are okay")
    - The work itself isn't too stressful and unless it is a threshold day you get to leave at 5:00
    - Accommodating to illness

Cons

- No overtime allowed, but clerical staff is forced to work late on threshold days without compensation...which is illegal
    - Management set unrealistic expectations
    - Very little training
    - Small or nonexistent pay raises
    - Cannot even bring in a lunch bag/box or tote bag, management thinks you might steal something (what, pens?)
    - Clerical staff always has to bend over backwards to do things for the Nurse Case Managers, things that they should be doing, and gets no appreciation for it
    - Very difficult to get in touch with HR or IT
    - Corporate only cares about money, not employee relations or morale
    - Staff constantly belittled in front of visitors and new case managers

Conduct exit interviews with departing employees and really listen. If you notice a trend of the entire branch leaving within a year except one person you might want to take note.

Big company with a big heart

I have been working at GENEX Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Established company that has a long history of serving the work comp field. Friendly co-workers, room for growth opportunities, work from home options, management gives you opportunities to expand your talents for the benefit of the company.

Cons

Though a good place to work, needs a little more work on building culture from top to bottom.

Keep trusting in your employees and allowing them to build on their talents. Work together to integrate new ideas and personalities to strengthen your culture.

Jan 30, 2015Senior Product Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking time to share your current job experience at GENEX. It's true, we DO have "friendly co-workers" and we're glad enjoy working here. We also agree that there's room for ... More

Good company but changing

Current Employee - Mid Manager in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Mid Manager in Wayne, PA

I have been working at GENEX Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive wages, flexible working environment and decent benefits

Cons

Continue pressure to grow in a shrinking and highly competitive market. New PE owners appear to be more active in company.

Look at the salaries of mid to lower level staff. They could use adjustment. Field operations could use a fresh new look. Practices have not kept up with changing market.

Used to be great, prior to new management taking over Anaheim office. Now it is all about the bean-counters..

Current Employee - Genex Utilization Review Nurse
    Current Employee - Genex Utilization Review Nurse

I have been working at GENEX Services

Pros

Many of us used to have great reasons to work here. It was a hard-working friendly team that enjoyed our work. Not so much now.

Cons

UR nurses are constantly reminded to open and close 8-10 cases a day, it doesnt take into consideration that surgeries with 9 DME, PT, etc additional requests come in with it and take more than an hour to close out with the ridiculous software provided. It is no longer about quality of the product we turn out.,calling offices for clarification, just open and close the cases. Make money and look productive. No longer about a patient that is in this mess somewhere.

They don't take advice. They are management. They have their agenda. Make money. That is their communication to the employees. They do not seek out advice. Funny...after our great branch manager quit when the bean counters arrived, a new one came in, and he could only stand it for 30 days, and he was out of here.

Jan 30, 2015Senior Product Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking time to share your current job experience at GENEX. Based on your response, it’s obvious that you care about your company and are determined to help us change for the better ... More

You are not the big cheese anymore....Upper management does know..they don't care

Former Employee - RN/Vocational Field Case Manager
    Former Employee - RN/Vocational Field Case Manager

I worked at GENEX Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

work our of your house

Cons

bill for hours, keep unethical people doing case work in spite of adjuster and atty complaints because you don't want to lose hrs, sales people underselling contracts, terrible health insurance, same old same old when comes to raises.....endless hours doing unnecessary and not billable report information; awful turnover;

When GENEX bought Intracorp years ago, my boss said, who cares if anyone is not satisfied, they have no where to go....guess what...little businesses started to grow and this year my whole professional office left, with years and years of experience....I think it is going to affect bottom line this year...that means no raises to those who stay....one year we didn't get raises because the weather was bad...give us a break..oh then they bought a new company right after...