GEO Group Reviews

1. Monitor I

Current Employee - Monitor I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Monitor I in Houston, TX

I have been working at GEO Group

Pros

Always A lot of over time Opportunity Good benefits after completing only 60 days of probation

Cons

By Far the WORST group of individuals I've ever worked for. ALL Employees Of Rank extremely unprofessional ghetto & loud. No doubt in my mind they WILL lose there tdcj contract in the near future

Advice to Management

Leave the drama at home

Ok place to work at

I worked at GEO Group

Pros

The compensation and benefits were ok.

Cons

Extremely strict with very little room to make decisions. Not forward thinking or evolving.

If the pay was competitive the job would be much more tolerable.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, IL

I have been working at GEO Group

Pros

There's always overtime available. Dealing with parole agents and law enforcement make the job seem more exciting at times.

Cons

Terrible pay scale. Chairs are uncomfortable. Dealing with parolees can be really aggravating due to their shockingly horrendous communication skills and low IQ.

Advice to Management

I believe the move to change to a business casual dress code was done to trick employees and outsiders into thinking the job is classier than it really is. Also, the constant talk of wanting to keep employees at the company for the long haul is insulting when there seems to be little to no effort to increase wages. And I don't mean the marginal yearly raises. There needs to be a substantial increase for the company to compete with similar positions at other companies.

Even the customer disliked Upper Management...that says a lot.

Former Employee - Case Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at GEO Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The ability to promote from within is nice (if you are favored by management)
    - A good opportunity to obtain experience working with the offender population
    - Quarterly training

Cons

- Program Managers are always extremely stressed and placed into very undesirable positions by upper management
    - Upper management expects too much of their employees without giving them proper compensation
    - The management style of the particular Regional Manager that I worked with was pretty cold and fake. The customer even mentioned how much they disliked her...and that speaks volumes
    - High turnover. VERY HIGH TURNOVER rate for employees
    - Management makes empty promises without delivering what they promised

Advice to Management

Specifically for Northern California Management- pay attention to the morale of your team. Do everything you can to keep valuable employees. You have lost a lot of very valuable people. High turnover is because of wages and sometimes ridiculous expectations of upper management. Stop placing all of the blame on Program Managers...they can only do so much to try and make their team happy. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CUSTOMER. The customer that was in partnership with our old office was not happy about management. Probation officers and supervisors admitted that they felt like BI/GEO Group were giving their employees the short end of the stick and thought that employee salaries were a joke.

If you continue to run your DRC's the way that you have been, you are going to lose another contract...I can guarantee it.

Racism and bullying are alive and well

Former Employee - Correctional Nurse in Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Correctional Nurse in Jamaica, NY

I worked at GEO Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Descent pay, descent hours, descent benefits

Cons

It was extremely full of racism, veteran vs the newbees, any nursing errors were spread like wildfire with no honorable intent to teach or correct, not uncommon to be greeted with silence or whispering, my car window was written on by another employee nothing was done. If you want to work here you better put on your tough girl panties, your game face and trust NO ONE.I was screamed at, humiliated, bullied for what??? It wont be one of the great and fun nursing positions you may have had. I did adore my supervisor, but she didn't have it easy either.

Advice to Management

Take the time and effort needed to evaluate the medical dept. So history doesn't keep repeating itself. Let the ones eating their young go, let the bullies go, let the people who never speak to other people because of their skin color go. The majority of my time there was spent in fear or disbelief.

Good job to earn money quickly

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Big Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Big Spring, TX

I have been working at GEO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of overtime, decent pay, easy hiring process, easy job, fun job, great experience,

Cons

lack officers necessarily to adequately run a prison, high turn over rate, officers don't stick to procedures or routines which causes stress for other officers.

Advice to Management

Higher more competent staff members and give them incentive to stay like facility activites. Have your lieutenants and captains more involved in the training process so new officers don't learn bad habits and short cuts from lazy officers. Work on the mandatory overtime process and instead of mandating officers two or three times a week schedule a lieutenant in the post or higher more officers because that's a major reason officers don't stay.

8. Corrections Officer

I worked at GEO Group

Pros

Easy work! Great academy.. Can sleep whenever.

Cons

Job means squat when you go to another corrections facility that is properly ran. Everyone hears geo and laughs.

9. Good money, negative work environment.

I worked at GEO Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary in full, on time, every time. Plenty of overtime if desired. Good benefits. Opportunity to relocate (at your own expense.)

Cons

Poor management., Poor teamwork. Lack of job satisfaction. Limited opportunities for advancement. Forget about holidays, weekends and decent working hours (if not part of the click) Mandatory overtime. Aggressive, disrespectful culture.

Advice to Management

Corporate: Revise your mission and vision, transmit it to employees. Establish high quality training for middle management. Be more aware about what goes on at individual sites. Facility: Apply standards evenly, raise your own standards of professionalism. Get educated.

10. enjoyed working with staff and offenders

Former Employee - Correctional Officer/Security in Lawrenceville, VA
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer/Security in Lawrenceville, VA

I worked at GEO Group

Pros

allow me to have personal growth

Cons

unfair acts when come to employees

Eh

Current Employee - Education in South Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Education in South Bay, FL

I have been working at GEO Group

Pros

Coworkers were good people. A job when i was desparate i would have have stayed longer if the pay was anything near what I can make at a more 'normal' envirornment

Cons

Very low pay, not worth it... Insulting , especially since they make so much profit... Unethical organization

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow