GES

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Steve Moster

On the Frontlines of the Exhibition Industry

Designer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGES is a large global company that has a wide variety of job positions. They usually persued the latest in technology, and would start programs for employee recognition. Many of the employees were friendly and helpful. Opportunities to work with many people across the U.S. and sometimes other countries.

ConsOpportunities for advancement are political, same for work/life balance. Some employees allowed much more free range than others, with no ryhme or reason. Human resources most of the time not even aware of employees job duties. No job track advancement program for a large portion of the company. The Design division lacked true leadership.

Hasn't been the worst place to work...

Senior Accountant (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsWhile there are definitely good things about GES, there are other things that are equally as challenging.
    Are there things that could be better? Of course, that is the case at any employer. A good place to work is defined by what you make of it and is definitely affected by your attitude. That being said--here are the things that I find best about GES:

Good work life balance - I've had to work very little over time and only a handful of times on the weekends. For me, they have been conscious of my family circumstances and have scheduled out of town trips around my availability.
    In my location, employees are encouraged to get involved on various committees.
    They have employee recognition programs--and in my location, anyone can nominate someone who has done a good job, it doesn't have to be someone in management.
    A very collaborative environment, and some things can be changed quickly.
    Compensation is fair - I received a bonus the first year I worked here, and pay increases every year.
    Generous sick time, and a floating holiday that is taken when the employee chooses to use it.

ConsNot much room for advancement for my area, unless someone retires.
    Employees are not empowered--They do attempt to empower employees and managers, but when every little decision must be run up the flag pole first--action is slow, deadlines are missed, and necessary changes are prevented because "we've always done things this way".
    Performance reviews are really pointless because everyone is rated "meets expectations". Even after an exceptional first year on the job, I still was only considered "meets expectations" when raise/bonus time came, which was very discouraging as a new employee. First year increases and bonuses are prorated based on when employment started.
    Lack of consistency between locations - Each location seems to operate as an island

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees! I have seen the frustration when my manager's hands are tied. We were hired for our professional expertise--allow us to use it.
    Set company wide policies and standards and enforce them--it's difficult to know what goes on from HQ when each location is allowed to operate the way they want to.
    Provide more opportunities for advancement for all employees, not just some.

Working for Global Experience Specialists can be rewarding.

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsIn general this is a great company to work for. Depending on your department and your manager will determine if you are able to be successful and move forward within the company.

ConsYou need to have a degree to advance within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone equally, showing favoritism openly makes it difficult for the other non favored employees to do their jobs with enthusiasm and continued one team spirit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people. engaged and motivated

Conshours can be difficult at times

Advice to Senior Managementnone

OKay nation wide company

Hydrogeologist (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Proslarge support system with nation wide company, easy to move around

Conslocal manager (san diego), not capable of performing job

Advice to Senior Managementreview management

Procedures vary from office to office/trainimgm

(Current Employee)

ProsThe shows and travel are great.. Most of the people are great. Office in general is nice.

ConsTraining is not good....people are thrown to the wolves to learn. They use shared resources so management is not in most offices to see what really happens. Quality of life is not good mostly due to the industry. Alot of tension between departments due to not enough people to do the work and over working the people that are there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what really goes on. Discipline the same for all and put away the favoritism.

Over-worked and Under Paid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the employees at the company are wonderful hard working people. The people make the difference.

ConsCompany does not value or recognize loyalty and hard work. There is a tendency to promote individuals who should not be promoted. In addition, as the economy took a down turn and employees were laid off or as individuals quit, the company tends to not replace them and distribute work to others. The employees are very over worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at your employees and make better judgment calls for reviews and promotions and hire the staff to get the job done. Give your team a break, they need it.

G - Great, E - Exciting, S - Successful

Material Handling Coordinator (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsDetailed on all assignments. Healthy work environment

ConsNot enough work, relief for outside workers should be looked at.

Advice to Senior ManagementCross training

Good in the Beginning, Lacking at the End.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsGreat Co-workers, excellent benefits, growth possible if you're willing to lie about others and promote yourself

ConsBad Management in the NSC, No accountability, rewards scandalous behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to trust what lower level employees say and do not take directors for their word.

I had a great experience working at GES. The staff was very helpful & professional and it was a nice place to work.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Foxborough, MA

ProsThe staff were lovely to work with and answered any questions that I had.

ConsNot enough communication, everyone had their own clients & did not explain the overall functions of the office & their roles there.

Worked for GES? Contribute to the Community!