GF Management Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

3.5

Ken Kochenour

Best hotel management company, and I've worked with quite a few!

Current Employee - Guest Experience Champion  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Guest Experience Champion in Cary, NC

I have been working at GF Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you have what they are looking for, you will be supported along the way toward becoming whatever you want to be in the hospitality business. I felt like I was given the tools to succeed from the 1st day I met my new management team. They are awesome!

Cons

The only major challenge I've faced is that I just graduated with a Master's in Mental Health Counseling. Leaving GF (I'm writing my 2 weeks notice at the moment) is going to be one of the hardest moves I've had to make because they really are sooo supportive. Anyone lucky enough to be a part of GF who is driven and dedicated to guest services has an amazing opportunity. They are quick to recognize talent and if you have it, in my experience, you will be recognized and appreciated for it quickly.

Keep doing what you're doing... (I'm putting 3/5 stars for Work/Life Balance because they will work you hard, but I promise you your managers will never expect you to work harder than they do - they're VERY dedicated/hard working people!)

Great place for Middle Aged White Men

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at GF Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn new skills and work in multiple locations and job roles

Cons

No benefits
    No effect or consistent communication about expectations or goals. Budget is an ever changing document. Salaries from other hotel personal added on to your payroll without any input from GM and then GM is held responsible for poor performance ratios.
    Screaming, ranting, raging and "going off" on people is not an effective Management Tool. Complete lack of respect shown by Upper Management to each other and Subordinates.
    Upward movement is often based on personal relationships versus abilities.
    Random reassignment, often without consultation with the person being reassigned or relocated.

You can not manage people the same way you manage an asset. Treat people with the respect that they deserve as Human Beings.

Reliable Income

I have been working at GF Management for more than 3 years

Pros

You will always be busy.

Cons

does not offer feedback or performance reviews on a consistent basis

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great training, great support, great opportunities

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Franklin, KY
    Former Employee - General Manager in Franklin, KY

I worked at GF Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was an inexperienced GM that had been promoted from desk agent to fill an open spot by a scam artist owner that cut corners at every turn. When they took over management of the hotel during a receivership, they gave me the chance to prove myself by giving me the training and support I needed and allowed me to ask questions without making me feel stupid, plus, after I had been trained they gave me a quality pay raise to go with it. I learned so much in the 12 months I worked for them. Thank you for all the support Chris and Todd.

Cons

Learning the reporting process and meeting deadlines, but if you ask for help you will get it. Just be genuine and willing to learn.

I'd have stayed with y'all forever if you had an affordable benefits package.

I have grown as a manager and have learned a great deal

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at GF Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Focused on the details, expectations are clear, preparation is the key to success, compensation is fair

Cons

An improved 401K plan with possible match would be beneficial in attracting talented employees

Continue to be clear on expectations and give more positive feedback on achievements

Rewarding Experience

I have been working at GF Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

A large hospitality management company with a wide variety of opportunities. Incredibly smart people work here and there is so much to learn from them. The corporate office is the most supportive group I have ever been around. The expectations are crystal clear and they provide the tools to meet and/or exceed each one.

Cons

The environment is fast paced - but not overwhelming.

Continue doing what you are doing - it is obviously working!

GF is all about "Show" They do not care about their employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at GF Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pretty decent health care package

Cons

GF puts on a show. They like to present that everything is perfect when in actuality their employees are all fed up. Oh sure the GM has his "Ask the GM" meeting once a month, but nothing is ever resolved. The kitchen equipment is very old at our location and anyone working there is subjected to extreme heat. The restaurants & bar are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. They will not spend money to fix anything, or update anything including air conditioning, heat, equipment needed for your job. No seasonal uniforms or uniform pay. And if your over 30 don't bother even applying for a job.

Wake up and listen to your employees! We're the peons that are making you the money! We know our facility and our guests, trust would be nice. And so would air conditioning in the summer and heT in the winter

Great Company

I have been working at GF Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company has experienced rapid growth over the last 5 years for a reason. They have experience with all levels of property management and brands. They provide great resources to their employees and put them in the best situation to be successful. They bring results on top and bottom line regardless of economic conditions.

Cons

There are really no cons I have experienced working for this company. Some may say they are aggressive but they always treat their associates with respect. The aggressiveness comes in the decision and strategy sessions attempting to improve performance - again but always in a respectful tone.

As the company continues to grow, continue to add resources and make adjustments during changing business climates and shifts in technology.

Tough Company to work for

I have been working at GF Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, open dialogue with Senior and Executive Level leadership. Company has a HUGE focus on sales and service in each hotel. Excellent financial accountability is rewarded, both financially and with career opportunities. Company focuses on basic fundamentals of hotel operations - revenue, cost control, service.

Cons

the benefits package could be improved to offer more comprehensive options (401k, dental, medical (all locations)) but this may be difficult due to the way the company is divided into sections based on owned, long term management and short term management deals.

More communication from Philadelphia in regards to culture, expectations, vision. Improve the antiquated excel based reporting and streamline. Far too may reports with the same information. A new report is not the solution for every problem.

You can go as far as you are willing to go...

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at GF Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Growth Opportunity, good pay, learn about real business

Cons

Benefits Package not as good as industry average in particular no matching 401k

GF had a reputation as a tough company but I chose to join anyway. All I can say is they have business expectations just like every other company I've worked for. I don't feel as they are any tougher but they do expect results. Just as with any other company, those that couldn't keep up always try to justify their own lack of success. I've seen it in many companies across the country. Work at GF can be quite rewarding but you have to work at it...success doesn't just fall in your lap. Everyone can complain but it's hard to argue that GF has not been successful as they have grown to be the 3rd largest management company in the country.

Worked for GF Management? Contribute to the Community!