GFI Software

GFI Software Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

GFI Software CEO Walter Scott

Walter Scott

GFI is one of a few non-iGaming IT employers in Malta ... it turned out to be my worst career move

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Ġwann (Malta)

ProsI have to think hard about the pros, but I guess being a small island, the dress code is very casual and peers are mostly very nice people. The location was (I have read the company has moved into a new office location, and it's not SmartCity Malta) fairly central so easily accessible from wherever you live on Malta ... as long as you have a car. Maybe public transport connections are better now but I am not sure.

ConsPeople at GFI Malta do not seem to trust each other. With everything you do your manager will tell you to make sure you cover your back with email trails or the sort. I have been told that this is a standard process for Malta, but whenever you call in sick (which must be done before 9 am) the company will send a doctor to you house!

My biggest gripe with the company however is the extremely, unacceptably, baffling poor wages! How they can justify paying someone with an IT degree and over 10 years experience less than 20k a year is just mind boggling ... but that (and the lenient Maltese corporate tax laws) is unfortunately why they are based in Malta, which is a shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management are very poor communicators and Walter (who became CEO while I was there) is an especially odd (but admittedly hard working and smart) cookie ... who unfortunately only cares about pleasing the shareholders and does not give a toss about his Maltese-based staff at all.

During my time there, our excellent team culture was killed by management by abolishing the yearly Christmas party, no more family days, no more after work beers on the roof ... all the fun stuff, poof , gone!

Another thing which - beside the extremely poor salary - is very poor is the fact that lower management seems to be promoted based on who they know and how long they have been at GFI, so their policy is based on seniority and favoritism rather than merit-based promotions which creates even more friction.

Advice to management:
    - remove all Malta management and put in place managers based on competence
    - pay your staff a salary which makes them proud they went to uni and worked hard for years to gain experience and are now giving their all to GFI's cause, underpaying makes you feel dirty, especially when you hear the CEO just bought a new Ferrari or Mercedes SLS
    - and for Pete's sake, put the fun back, work without fun is just not cricket man!

hard work

Channel Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Proshigh earning potential with great bonus and commission rewards.
    room for individual contribution and growth.

Conshigh pressure, long hours with not very realistic targets

Advice to Senior Managementensure employee morale through better communication and realistic targets

Great place to work, Great people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsYou work hard, but are well rewarded. Success is celebrated, and the company works hard to train up and support skills gaps.
    Great office location in Edinburgh.
    Free softdrinks
    Foosball table!

ConsHard work, and rapid change, but for me that just keeps it interesting.
    Not much else to say, they constantly work to address any issues/problems as they arise.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, keep communicating.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly managed, lack of direction

Marketing, Sales (Former Employee)

ProsPay is good. A lot of good people. Not the worst managed company I've been with.

ConsA collection of businesses. Not focused. A CEO with a very foul mouth. There are good people, but there are mediocre executives in senior management who never seem to be held accountable.

Brilliant place for people who are proactive and can take accountability

ProsExciting environment with lots of opportunities
    Training is provided in technical as well as "commercial skills"
    Management is prepared to listen and react - especially the CEO

ConsChanges can come quickly and be hard to understand without asking questions.
    Flexibility is key and this can imping on personal life sometimes, although they do give due account for people who go over and above.

Advice to Senior ManagementExplain better to the whole organisation the strategy and culture that you are trying to build.

Love and befriend the management and you will succeed!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Ġwann (Malta)

ProsThis is a good place to learn....but it stops there. No good salaries no possibilities for your career.

ConsIt is not how capable you are, it is not how much knowledge you have it is not how dedicated your are! The only important thing is to have personal friends from the management side. At the start of this year (2014) an employee survey was performed. The results were so bad that the results were not even published.

Advice to Senior ManagementPack your things and get out! You have ruined GFI Software. You are not capable and there are no good reasons for you to remain at the helm of the company. You are light years distant from reality. One day it will bite back and all will be lost.

Tons of opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsGreat people, well known and respected products. Big enough to have a lot of opportunities, but not so big that it's a heavily structured, corporate environment.

ConsIf you need a lot of hand-holding and/or like to do the same exact things every day, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage people to seize opportunities for development and share the vision for where the company is going.

Freedom to be creative!

Manager Engineering (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsThe empower their employees. Everyone is involved in a truly collaborative process. I am very happy here! About to IPO any day now!

ConsNothing yet, will update later if something comes up.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Job!

Don't Know What the Other Reviews Are On About

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dundee, Scotland (UK)

ProsExcellent working conditions
    Good Benefits
    Great People

ConsDon't have anything bad to say I enjoy my job, I work hard. If I do a good job I get recognised for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Cool place to work - have no plans on leaving this company any time soon.

PPC Specialist (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsManagement actually know about the product and industry. I work in a very open and honest environment and colleagues are really good fun. It is hard work but good fun !

ConsNone really. I genuinly have nothing negative to say about working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing please and dont change to much ! Keep listening to your customers and employees.

Worked for GFI Software? Contribute to the Community!