GFI Software Reviews

Walter Scott

1. Average 2nd tier vendor

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at GFI Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quite a dynamic team, very sales focused, great back office team. Salaries are ok, incentives are good.

Cons

Mish-mash of company direction. Constant change which prohibits your ability to execute on long term business plan/strategy for your region.

Advice to Management

Pick the core products, and stick with them.

2. A place where you can learn and grow

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Valletta (Malta)
    Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Valletta (Malta)

I have been working at GFI Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. You'll learn a lot from experienced co-workers. Grown in knowledge and career path. Management has open door policy and willing to listen to suggestions. Some Benefits: Has life and health insurance. Paid overtime. Time in lieu. Paid extra vacation leave. Ability to forward extra vacation leave to the following year. Parking, Free food every end of month and lots of activities during the year. Has Gym and Games Room. Proud to work with great products used by thousands of customers worldwide.

Cons

One thing I strongly miss is working from home. I wish it was more encouraged. I wouldn't mind accountability. I think its a plus for both employees and company.

Advice to Management

As mentioned above in Cons. They should consider working from home in the R&D department more of a standard. Some Companies for example allow once a week to work from home. Or encourage it when you have a new child to take care.

Very Good

I have been working at GFI Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No micro managing.. the management at GFI is great. The environment is conducive to growth, which is terrific when you have a lot of potential. If you go above and beyond, you can advance. Benefits are really good (healthcare, etc), atmosphere is positive, for the most part.. you will always have those that are negative within an organization, but I really like GFI. They have allowed me to grow. Balance is good as well.. and it is expected that you do not live your life only working. Hours in Sales tend to be somewhat flexible; although you have you may have to cover West Coast hours, it is only until 7pm EST. Not bad. The Sales department is one of a kind.. you don't have to make cold calls. Most all calls come from Leads generated by trials of the software someone downloads. Overall, the culture is good.. and everyone is very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Training is lacking... there is not many policies and procedures unless you are in the Customer Service Department. If you like change, this is the job for you.. GFI is always changing.

Advice to Management

Get some training in place for new folks and have on going training for the entire staff. Pay could be higher than what it is as well. Also, it is very important to listen to your employees and what makes them happy. You do, however, have a very low turn over rate, which is terrific.

Boulder Team is a good ole boys club

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at GFI Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, unless your already a friend their group.

Cons

No creative control or technical control over you work. They just want someone to be heads down coding and do exactly what they tell you without question or comment.

Advice to Management

If you want to bring in new people from outside your original group you need to accept them into the "club" and assume they have good things to contribute.

6. A shame there isn't better leadership.

I have been working at GFI Software full-time

Pros

Great experience builder. Potential to grow, if under the right manager (read not sales).

Cons

Execs have too much ego. They preach about being open to change, but refuse to change lost areas. No real strategy (changes every few months).

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and stick to it. Change is fine, but GFI is madness.

7. GFI is one of a few non-iGaming IT employers in Malta ... it turned out to be my worst career move

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ġwann (Malta)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ġwann (Malta)

I worked at GFI Software full-time

Pros

I have to think hard about the pros, but I guess being a small island, the dress code is very casual and peers are mostly very nice people. The location was (I have read the company has moved into a new office location, and it's not SmartCity Malta) fairly central so easily accessible from wherever you live on Malta ... as long as you have a car. Maybe public transport connections are better now but I am not sure.

Cons

People at GFI Malta do not seem to trust each other. With everything you do your manager will tell you to make sure you cover your back with email trails or the sort. I have been told that this is a standard process for Malta, but whenever you call in sick (which must be done before 9 am) the company will send a doctor to you house! My biggest gripe with the company however is the extremely, unacceptably, baffling poor wages! How they can justify paying someone with an IT degree and over 10 years experience less than 20k a year is just mind boggling ... but that (and the lenient Maltese corporate tax laws) is unfortunately why they are based in Malta, which is a shame.

Advice to Management

Top management are very poor communicators and Walter (who became CEO while I was there) is an especially odd (but admittedly hard working and smart) cookie ... who unfortunately only cares about pleasing the shareholders and does not give a toss about his Maltese-based staff at all. During my time there, our excellent team culture was killed by management by abolishing the yearly Christmas party, no more family days, no more after work beers on the roof ... all the fun stuff, poof , gone! Another thing which - beside the extremely poor salary - is very poor is the fact that lower management seems to be promoted based on who they know and how long they have been at GFI, so their policy is based on seniority and favoritism rather than merit-based promotions which creates even more friction. Advice to management: - remove all Malta management and put in place managers based on competence - pay your staff a salary which makes them proud they went to uni and worked hard for years to gain experience and are now giving their all to GFI's cause, underpaying makes you feel dirty, especially when you hear the CEO just bought a new Ferrari or Mercedes SLS - and for Pete's sake, put the fun back, work without fun is just not cricket man!

8. hard work

Former Employee - Channel Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Channel Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at GFI Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

high earning potential with great bonus and commission rewards. room for individual contribution and growth.

Cons

high pressure, long hours with not very realistic targets

Advice to Management

ensure employee morale through better communication and realistic targets

9. Great place to work, Great people to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at GFI Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work hard, but are well rewarded. Success is celebrated, and the company works hard to train up and support skills gaps. Great office location in Edinburgh. Free softdrinks Foosball table!

Cons

Hard work, and rapid change, but for me that just keeps it interesting. Not much else to say, they constantly work to address any issues/problems as they arise.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, keep communicating.

Poorly managed, lack of direction

Former Employee - Marketing, Sales
    Former Employee - Marketing, Sales

I worked at GFI Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good. A lot of good people. Not the worst managed company I've been with.

Cons

A collection of businesses. Not focused. A CEO with a very foul mouth. There are good people, but there are mediocre executives in senior management who never seem to be held accountable.

Brilliant place for people who are proactive and can take accountability

I have been working at GFI Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting environment with lots of opportunities Training is provided in technical as well as "commercial skills" Management is prepared to listen and react - especially the CEO

Cons

Changes can come quickly and be hard to understand without asking questions. Flexibility is key and this can imping on personal life sometimes, although they do give due account for people who go over and above.

Advice to Management

Explain better to the whole organisation the strategy and culture that you are trying to build.

RSS Feed </> Embed