GHA Technologies

Updated May 2, 2014
Updated May 2, 2014

3.8

George Hertzberg

GHA's great company model, combined with your great work ethic, yields even greater financial rewards.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

GHA was just bumped up in the VAR 500 list and is now ranked at 196, up 136 spaces from the year before. The VAR500 is a list of the largest value-added resellers, solution providers and integrators in North America by revenue size. Revenue size is determined by the amount of annual products and services sold over the course of 2010.

Needless, to say if you have very high revenue sales then there are a lot of people making very good six figure incomes because of the high commissions. You do not make this list if your sales force is not selling and your sales force willl not stay if THEY themselves are not making money.

Don't take my word for it. Look at the VAR 500 list and while you are there look at the INC 5000 list as well. You will see that this company is moving forward .... Rapidly. Facts are facts.

You have the ability to work from home and there is a high degree of freedom. You are offered medical, dental and a 401K and in addition you will be offered a Stock Ownership Plan. You have the choice of selling literally over a million products if you wish. You receive the highest commission rate in the VAR reseller industry.

You literally have an extensive amount of freedom, you are treated fairly, and if you have a solid work ethic you will be rewarded. If you are waiting for the phone to ring perhaps this is not the place for you. The market has changed significantly as we all know, and with that thought change sometimes if very uncomfortable. We adapt if needed. If you want to make money and enjoy change then this company is the place to be.

Cons

Having an extensive amount of freedom is somewhat of a double-edged sword. You have to manage yourself without someone supervising your time. As a result, there are some people who fail because they simply lack time management skills.

Filing a weekly report which takes about half an hour to complete may seem tedious (the words salesman and report mix like oil and water). Again, it is a very short report but necessary nonetheless.

The market has changed; you can no longer rely on dated business practices. You have to go after business either through cold calling or via email. The days of letting the phone ring and writing out an invoice are over. This is where people get frustrated and, as a result, they tend to blame everyone and anyone but themselves for poor sales.

Do not fix something that is not broken.

Demoralizing corporate philosophy, poor leadership, and an all-around exploitative and unpleasant workplace.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Money, pure and simple. If you have exceptional sales talent and - most important of all - if you have a book of business with established clients, you can make in excess of $100,000 a year.

Cons

Too many to list, but here are a few:

1) Owner/founder/president is a micro-manager with a remarkably inflated ego and little regard for his sales reps. Example: every rep is required to submit a weekly email to the owner outlining activities & accomplishments; be prepared to have your email blasted to all the other reps with harsh criticism by the owner. No privacy, no respect, maybe even a few HR issues as a result.

2) Reps work out of their homes, except for a few at AZ HQ, and all are on full commission with a recoverable draw. Owner did not bother to observe wage and hour regulations in the states where reps were located, resulting in gross under- or non-payment of minimum wage, and has even tried to recover draw paid to reps who quit or were fired (which may be against the law in some states). Is this someone you want to rely on for a paycheck?

3) Most communication among reps and management by email is "cc:"d to everyone, and you should be prepared to sift through 100-plus internal emails a day - in addition to the 100-plus emails from clients and vendors. A major time-waster, and an impediment to effective selling.

3) The "sales strategy" changes every month, sometimes every week. They are triggered by whatever the "hot issue" of the day is on TV or in the papers. For example, when Swine Flu was a hot issue, we were lectured constantly about how much money we could make selling washable keyboards and mice to health care institutions and schools, and what a great door opener it would be. When I tried this lame approach my customers a) laughed at me and b) stopped returning calls ...

4) The comp plan changes even faster than the "sales strategy" with more and more gates, hurdles, and conditions slapped on so that it takes a degree in math to figure it all out. But the bottom line is that compensation overall has dropped by 10% to 20% for the average rep over the past couple of years.

5) Many reps who join the company with an established book of business (contacts / customers) have been fired with little notice (and little apparent cause) after working for GHA for less than a year, sometimes only a few months. The customer relationships they brought to GHA are then handed out to the GHA reps with most longevity (or who suck up to the owner). Grossly unfair and exploitative.

6) The office staff at AZ HQ act as if they are terrified of the boss, and scurry around like scared bunnies. The most bizarre office environment I have ever witnessed (during my week of training at HQ).

Why bother? You'll never listen to this advice. But just for the heck of it:

1) Step back and get out of the email exchanges and micromanagement of sales reps.

2) Structure well thought-out policy, strategy and compensation plans - then let others execute on them.

3) Hire an experienced operations manager / GM and help them help the reps to succeed - if you do this, there will be plenty of money for everyone at the end of the day.

4) Hire a *real* law firm that can structure compensation plans that comply with the laws in all states where you have a corporate presence or sales rep.

5) Stop terrorizing your office staff with rants and intimidation. If you do, they will become you best assets in the entire company. If you don't they will eventually turn into your worst legal/HR nightmare.

The Grass IS Greener on the Other Side

Pros

Please refer to the title of the review.

Cons

When I left, the manager told me something along the lines of, "well, the grass may not be greener on the other side". I was appalled on the fact that someone in management would even say this to an employee who was kindly resigning and giving them the proper notice.
    There are better jobs out there: the pay, better environment, and co-workers are happy to assist you! Thank you GHA, the little experience I received let me obtain a job that I absolutely love now!

Think before you speak.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was a Technical Sales Manager

Pros

The pay if you could get your clients to pay on time.

Cons

The accounting work, collections, and the stress to see if your clients would pay on time.

Charge a fee to have the accounting work done since you have so many accountants there.

Scam, don't waste your time!

Current Employee - Account Representative
    Current Employee - Account Representative

Pros

Established reseller, decent training with a list of good manufactures. The company is based in sunny Arizona.

Cons

New Tech Slavery, no salary. You will have to be customer service as well as accounts receivable.
    It is your responsibility to make sure your customers pay on time! By the way, unlike the country in billions of dollars debt and down graded credit rating. You better have a stellar credit history to get this no salary job,

Get a reality check!

Great experience - Unlimited earning potential

Current Employee - Vice President Sales
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales

Pros

Working from home and able to work at all hours during the day. I just had a CIO call me at 10:00PM this week and needed a quote. No one else can provide this service and this is why they buy $1,000,000 a year from us. Unlimited earning potential. I make 3 times as much at GHA then I did at CDW.

Cons

Working at home can make you a little stir crazy. I would get out of the office for onsite appointments as much as possible. Keeping on top of customers payments can be a hassle and time consuming.

The most challenging / rewarding position I have ever held.

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

Pros

Best compensation and benefits in the technology reselling industry.
    No micro-management
    A logical, supportive company backing your work
    Sales force is very helpful on questions
    Huge portfolio of technology products and services to provide for customers

Cons

I personally don't consider this a con, but I have seen it hurt people.
    You work at home: So either you have the desire and dedication to REALLY to succeed, or you will not be successful. The responsibilities of an IT sales person are no joke.
    You are 100% commission based, so if you don't work hard, you don't get paid.
    On the flip side, if you do work hard, you won't make more money anywhere else in the industry.

No direct issues with management, they are fair, and willing to consider any request, if backed with a logical business case.

Great company, great compensation, great opportunity.

Current Employee - Vice President of Sales
    Current Employee - Vice President of Sales

Pros

You'll make more money than any other Reseller, plain and simple.

Like any sales job you need to be ready to work very hard. Even harder if you're coming in without any contacts or previous customers to work.

You get out of it what you put into it. The people who do not succeed typically put forth little effort and do not stick to the proven territory building plan GHA has engineered.

Cons

Not the best option for someone with little to no IT Sales experience.

As far as IT sales jobs go, GHA is a breath of fresh air.

Current Employee - I Can Say That I Love My Job, Can You?
    Current Employee - I Can Say That I Love My Job, Can You?

Pros

Fist and foremost the ability to work at home is awesome. I love that I am not micro managed, at GHA you are judged on what you can do, on what you know and what you sell. There is no one to blame but yourself if you are not succeding. The comp plan really is the best that I have seen and in addition to that we also get stock ownership.

I also like the fact that I am 100% responsible for all my orders. I leverage pricing with the disty's or mfger's, I place the order, I cut the PO, etc

This job comes with full benefits, the ability to get certified on everything from MS to VMWARE and get paid an additional bonus to do so. Like the title says I love my job and not too many people can say that.

Cons

If you are going to work for GHA and you are going to work from home you have to be prepared to work hard. This isn't really a con but some people just can't work from home or manage themselves.
    You have to make at least 50 calls aday. Again not a con but if making calls isn't your thing you aren't going to succeed. You really need to be good at multi tasking as well.

I'm glad I made the switch to GHA over 7 years ago.

Current Employee - Technical Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Manager

Pros

Very well compensated if you can sell. No ceiling, or limits on what you can earn. The flexibility that comes w/a home office is great. Paid health care is a nice bonus.

Cons

Must be a self starter and driven employee. GHA is not going to hold your hand. Success is up to you as an individual sales rep.

Keep up the good work! Proud to be part of the GHA team for many years, and looking forward to many more.

Worked for GHA Technologies? Contribute to the Community!