GIC Investments Reviews

Updated October 9, 2014
2.5

GIC Investments Deputy Chairman & Executive Director Tony Tan Keng Yam
Tony Tan Keng Yam

Smart and nice colleagues around, and yea, heavy politics.

I worked at GIC Investments

Pros

Abundant resources, working hours are reasonable

Cons

If you are not a GIC scholar, you are not in the main stream.

Overworked, underpaid, spoken to by SVP's in a very demeaning tone, Entirely too much work for one person to do.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GIC Investments full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Health Benefits, Working in San Francisco Financial District

Cons

No training, lack of communication, office culture divides the support staff from the executives.

Consider ensuring that when you have someone working for you whom gives a significant amount of notice on their departure you are proactive in finding a replacement in order to give the departing employee time to review and go over the specifics of the position that way you are not scrambling to throw together administrative assistants whom are already overwhelmed with work and sometimes are completely unaware of how the executives supported by that particular position prefer to have items such as expenses done in a particular way and in a certain turn around time. It's unfair to bring a person onto a team, give them four months of backlogged by work, put absolutely no time in training them and then additionally have that person supporting two people who clearly had personal issues with each other- so I was put in the middle of two people who felt their work was more important than the others. I spent many nights at work until 9pm just to be let go. When I discussed with my recruiter she even agreed that the expectation level was unreasonable. Supporting 2-3 Senior Vice Presidents is a heavy workload at times, especially with consistent international and complex travel. I technically supported 8 SVP's ALL of which were in completely different departments of the company; Global Risk Management and Insurance oversight, General Counsel/Legal, Investments, Human Resources and Benefits- My background was in legal and the team that interviewed me all were well aware of that. My personal opinion is that I was merely brought on for my legal knowledge due to an upcoming transaction and ironically as soon as that transaction was finalized- I was given my walking papers. Even more particular regarding the situation is the large severance package and benefits I was offered in exchange for signing a contract saying I would not investigate further or take any action towards the company for my dismissal.

Great people but very conservative. Opportunities are limited outside of Singapore.

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GIC Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family oriented, small office feel, excellent pay, challenging work. Beautiful office in downtown San Francisco.

Cons

Least 'fun' place I've ever worked. Red tape, then add in more red tape and before you're done add in some bureaucracy on top of that.

A lot of change is driven out of Singapore. US culture gets limited respect in management circles.

Stop talking about removing red tape and do it.

Bureaucratic and opaque setup

I have been working at GIC Investments full-time

Pros

- Not very stressful for a front-line investing job
    - Job security (at least compared to other financial institutions)

Cons

- Salary is below par (at least in Asia) because salaries for investment professionals are bench-marked to local corporate banks, rather than asset management / private equity firms
    - very opaque assessment and promotion structure - you are never told what you need to do to move up, yet are given nebulous feedback during review
    - depending on the team you are working with, your colleagues are company-"lifers" who have a set way of doing things
    - lot of stress on "visibility", leading people to posture, do a lot of work to literally get airtime
    - many of the younger colleagues are those who have gone through the 2 year analyst program equivalent - a lateral hire would be at a slight disadvantage re" visibility
    - overall the culture is "different", not all can get used to it

- implement people's major grouses from OCS please

Good Place to work

Former Employee - Investment and Trading Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment and Trading Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at GIC Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Low stress environment. Good, smart people, good work atmosphere.

Cons

slow moving and bureaucratic. constantly shifting benchmarks

decentralize management controls

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GIC Investments

Pros

Strong reputation in the industry.

Cons

Very structured and not very flexible organization structure.

Compensation below industry peers.

A respected global asset manager

I worked at GIC Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and nice colleagues, global investment exposure, relatively good job security, relatively low stress for buy-side front office, excellent training for those entering the Professional Programme, good opportunity to rotate through various asset classes, compensation is decent for a real money buy-side firm.

Cons

Very top down management, politics is a major factor behind promotions and opportunities, while changing it remains a very Singaporean-based professional environment.

I think there is a lot of unfair moaning about compensation among GIC staffers. If you want to get paid like in hedge funds or (becoming less so) in a global investment bank, then go to these firms, and not stay in what is essentially a real money asset manager.

Too much deadwood among the senior employees, make the organisation more global in orientation by raising the profile of one or two non-Singapore offices, need to cultivate internal analytical capabilities and start by paying more attention to internal analysis rather than external ones, if long-term loyalty is such an important virtue then consider establishing a retirement fund for employees since stock options are not an option.

Outstanding company

I worked at GIC Investments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart bosses, extremely well paid.

Cons

Does not take kindly to mistakes, favouritism, autocratic, pretentious

Good culture, low job progression

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at GIC Investments

Pros

Great culture, generally happy to be working here on a daily basis due to the people.

Cons

Similar to what most of the feedback here are, over emphasis is placed on academic results - leaving some very good staff demotivated and they eventually leave.
    Promotion is solely based on performance beyond your jobscope (not longevity nor doing your supposed role very well) and there is definitely a very apparent glass ceiling.
    Weak middle management.

Recognize and promote those who have proven themselves through good performance. Don't take forever to promote them (just because they are academically not qualified enough for HR's standards), because then the truly capable ones won't stay for sure.
    Consider promoting more within, than hiring from open market. Experience is overrated. You'll reap rewards from a culture of teaching and mentoring, and promoting.

Not a good place to intern

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in Mumbai (India)

I worked at GIC Investments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

some smart people in the business, access to a range of training material and having a big name on your resume

Cons

-lots of politics within the company
    -anything but a meritocracy
    -hard to understand the Singaporean accent
    -opaque decision making
    -decent package