GISI Marketing Group

Updated July 28, 2014
Updated July 28, 2014

2.4

Eben Swett

I am having a good time working at GISI Marketing.

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time

Pros

Working at GISI Marketing Group is like hanging out with your friends all day long. It is sometimes stressful, but everyone works as a team.

Cons

Some people do not want to work according to the values. If they are not happy then I think they should leave.

I have worked for two other businesses. Please keep focused on the values we live by. Not all businesses have a such a clear or positive code of ethics.

Good company to learn from and work with.

Current Employee - Manager Consultant  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great coworkers. Management style is Servant Leadership. There are many essential skill sets needed for all the positions within the organization. Great values.

Cons

Some days can get a little hectic as with most companies.

Keep plugging the values.

This company is terrible - all the reviews are accurate.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people are nice but fear losing their job so interaction is at times hostile and strained. A lot of hardworking fearful people.

Cons

Then there are some not so nice people mostly in management. Micro management that is so extreme that you can never be yourself or efficient because you never know what to expect and you will never have the freedom to manage your own self or your own accounts.

Egomaniac. You know who you are.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a long term company to work for.

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the people are awesome.

Cons

Company values are not followed.

Pay your employees better and listen to them. Don't micro-manage.

Simply put... don't do it.

Former Employee - Manager/Consultant
    Former Employee - Manager/Consultant

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

If your professional interests lie in the print industry then this company can teach you a lot.
    Also, the general employees there are great people, often over-educated for the job, they work very hard, and they have a lot to offer.

Cons

I worked there for about a year before being offered a management position. Being ambitious about career opportunities but seeing the constant stress caused to my then manager, I reluctantly took the position.

Big mistake, as all of my worst fears were realized. This company is drowning in hypocrisy but at least makes no effort to hide it. They tell their managers that they would like them to run the shops independently but constantly micromanage. They tell their employees that they would like input from them but shoot down every idea that doesn't come from the head office.

And then there's the "Beans" story. This story was told as a way to justify cutting hours, wages, and employees. If you've worked there long enough then you know what I'm talking about.

The compensation for how hard you work is not worth it. I've always told myself that I'm not better than any job that pays me. But the dispiriting atmosphere there changed that attitude. Probably for the better.

Also, I absolutely agree with the other reviews here that turnover is extremely high. Upper management treats their employees with utter disregard and will fire them at a moments notice. It doesn't matter how long you've been with the company or what you've contributed. Their motto seems to be "Our overall bottom line sucks. It must be the employees. Bring in the next wave." During my tenure I saw people who had been there for 5-10 years be let go. There is no job security. At all.

Owners, step aside and let someone who knows what they're doing run the company.

Ummmm no... If offered a position just walk away. And if you accept an offer, you can't say no one warned you.

I worked at GISI Marketing Group

Pros

The owners seem like decent people but leave operations in the hands of really bad managers.

Cons

Corporate in Tualatin/Portland: Management is poor to say the least and you can be fired at anytime for any reason without verbal warning, or write up. My termination came out of the blue and just a couple of weeks prior, the general manager told me I was doing a good job. Same general manager let me go with list of issues over a months time. Very scary place to work and no job security, no matter how good your intention or experience. Expectations for your job role is unrealistic and your soul will slowly be taken from you. Turnover is oddly high.

Advice to owner: bring a tried and true consultant in to improve this area.

Think of it as a temporary job only. This is not a company you want to stay with long term.

I worked at GISI Marketing Group for more than a year

Pros

The people who work there are wonderful people who work really hard and get very little back. And really that's about all the pro there is.

Cons

This review is specifically for the corporate office: Shortly after you start you will see that something is not right and it takes a while to put your finger on it. The culture is negative which stems from upper management. The company needs a major overhaul replacing with competent management. A certain manager manages entirely through intimidation and creating this subtle fear that eats away at you, until you feel like a zero even though you bring experience or additional knowledge. Also the turnover is out of this world. I've never seen anything like it. That in itself should be a red flag.

Learn how to manage. May I suggest the book, "Treat Your Employees Like Customers"

Thought it would be better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will recieve a lot of attention and will never slip through the cracks. The people who are there are wonderful individuals who deserve more.

Cons

Turn over rate was incredibly high. I was there for just under half a year and saw over 22 people either quit or were fired and walked out on the spot. I saw 4 people fired in my first two weeks, which was my indication to start looking. The printing process is too compartmentilized... one project will go through 8 or so different hands and up to 4 different deparments. It leaves a lot of room for error, which happens frequently. You may get canned by just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, even if it may not have been your fault.

Don't fire people so publicly and make such a scene of it. Also if schedules are so pressed, allow CSI's to give a buffer to clients for promised completion time.

Great out of school job

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

printing, graphics, preflight, learning the ins and outs of printing, and commercial skills.

Cons

management while I was there was very poor. All the staff was new so no one could do training successfully.

assist in training hands on with new employees and do not rely solely on the other co workers to do all the training if they have been there less then 6 months.

Worked for GISI Marketing Group? Contribute to the Community!