GISI Marketing Group

3.3
Eben Swett

1. Enjoy going to work.

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love spending time with our associates. There are so many creative juices flowing through that it makes an exciting and enthusiastic environment within the group. The company values make this possible by caring for each other, celebrating the good things and having the leadership qualities installed in each of us to help make decisions in the best interest for the whole team.

Cons

Training can sometimes be a little difficult as there are so many specialties housed in one company that a general training course cannot possibly encompass each specialty. Training generally occurs on the job with the leader of that specialty. Other than the unique training within this company, I can't find cons with the culture or leadership as these are the areas I most enjoy about working for this company.

Advice to Management

We have great leaders in management as I can witness everyday, however, many of the locations don't have the opportunity to witness it as often. I suggest these leaders spend more time at the centers, so that they can benefit from the inspiration I have enjoyed for the 10+ years being around these inspiring leaders.

2. Shady hiring and firing practices

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not a whole lot of positives here

Cons

Management is degrading and will fire you without warning out of the blue and they are deceptive with hiring information. My suggestion is to not accept a position here. Working at Kinkos is better overall.

3. Under paid and not told important pay information upon hire.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Portland, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience for first time designers. You get to learn about the print industry. You get to work with good people.

Cons

Pay is very low compared to industry standard for a graphic designer. Not truly a marketing company as the name suggests. You won't really be doing graphic design it's mainly receiving PDF 's of other people's work and hitting print. This is a print store like Kinko's or office max. Only about 5% is actually doing true design work. As for industry standard goes for marketing and design this company is lacking. Most managers don't have a background in design or marketing. This company only pays once a month and won't tell you that during your interview or hiring day.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with a design management background or art direction. Pay your designers industry standard pay. Tell people you interview important details of the job and pay.

5. Fast Paced, Diverse Worklpace

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time

Pros

Never boring, always busy, and a great team environment. GISI offers a fun and very challenging work place with excellent opportunities to advance your skills and position. The values put in place ensure everyone has a voice.

Cons

Learning curve can be a bit on the long side with a business that is involved in so many different aspects of marketing.

Advice to Management

Keep adhering to the values, and don't be afraid to add more team building events (bar-b-ques, activities, and discussions)

6. Hard Working and Caring Organization

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time

Pros

GISI Marketing Group is made up of hard working folks that really care for fellow associates and clients. Growth opportunities are available and encouraged. There is a definite focus on what is important to the associates and their goals.

Cons

The environment is a very busy one, and at times can feel overwhelming. Asking for help is always encouraged, and there is a network of folks lined up to provide the help.

7. Fast-paced with advancement opportunities

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time

Pros

There's always a lot going on at GISI, with rarely a dull moment. The people are great, and there are a lot of opportunities to advance within the organization. The Values are talked about a lot, offer a great deal of guidance for big and small decisions. I like that every staff member is able to make decisions, and serve as a leader. Compensation is fair, and seems to be increasing on a regular basis.

Cons

At times the work can be demanding, but overall the work/life balance is great. Training is often "on the job", but there is a lot of support at all times.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on hiring good people. It makes a huge difference!

8. Good place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked here 10 years now and found it a great place to work.
    Have made a good living for my kids and myself here and at times have felt like part of a family.

Cons

Challenging and at times stressful but I am better person for it.

Advice to Management

Try not making employees feel like mistakes are one step closer to getting fired. Help employees learn from mistakes and help them grow from them and not feel defensive.

9. A Changing Organization

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Values implemented in 2008 are making a big difference. Excellent associates throughout the company. Extraordinary customer service.

Cons

There aren't too many "cons" about GISI Marketing Group. In general, it's an excellent place to work. Due to growth - there are the usual growing pains.

Advice to Management

We don't have "Management" in the traditional sense. We have Leaders. The best advice is to keep living our Values.

10. Quickly growing company with a great atmosphere!

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time

Pros

This company is really quickly growing, and is a great place to work! From upper management to communication and employee/client interactions - everything is professional, clear, and relaxed. It is clear that management tries its hardest to set employees up for success, from training to inter-company promotions and development. GISI is great!

Cons

The company sometimes moves a bit slower than I'd like when making big decisions and promotions, but this also speaks to how thoroughly options are weighed before decisions are made, which is a good thing. GISI takes a while to make a move, but once they do - they stand by it.

11. Don't Believe What You See

Former Employee - Manager/Consultant
    Former Employee - Manager/Consultant

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are self-motivated and have a desire to learn and grow, there is some opportunity for advancement. I was promoted after a year to manage one of the locations, which was a great resume-builder. I had the opportunity to work alongside some awesome and incredibly hard-working people during my two years with the company. I learned a ton about the print industry, pricing, and how to read an operating statement. But what I learned most at GISI (from the upper-management) is how NOT to run a business and exactly what kind of company I never want to work for ever again.

Cons

Where do I start? From the very beginning, you will be lied to. This is a printing company, much like a Kinko's or Fed-Ex, so don't let the 'Marketing' title fool you. The company values are not followed (although they are preached), and you will feel like 'Big Brother' is always watching you. You will most likely quit or be fired within the first two years of employment. This company has the highest turnover rate I have ever seen, and I've seen some wonderful people be let go with absolutely no regard whatsoever. You will be undervalued, underpaid, and none of your opinions or advice to better the company will be given a second thought. If you ever get promoted to become a manager of one of the GISI locations (heaven forbid), just know that the hours you will be required to work will NEVER be worth the life sacrifice you're making or pay increase you will be receiving.

Advice to Management

First of all, stop making your poor associates write fake Glassdoor reviews because the 'actual' reviews are so terrible...it is extremely pathetic and sad. Also, please let someone else take over the company who actually knows about marketing. Maybe re-create a new values book that you can actually follow. Pay your hard-working associates the wages they deserve, listen to what they have to say, and TRUST in their abilities.