GIZ Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.5

GIZ Chairman Dr Bernd Eisenblätter
Dr Bernd Eisenblätter

Great place to intern if interested in international development

I worked at GIZ as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

GIZ pays interns well for German standards. The work environment is great, both in terms of the colleagues (very young and international) and in terms of the work environment. The company watches out for their employees' health -- way more than I have ever seen in the US. Interns get 2 days of vacation per month if the internship is longer than 90 days. Interns even got extra days of to participate in a intern trip to Vienna to visit other international organizations.

Cons

The work was very administrative. This could however be very specific to my unit. The work I did was not very integrated into the team effort which meant I didn't know too much about what was going on in the unit as a whole.

Professional Organization

Current Employee - Project Coordinator
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at GIZ full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will have lots opportunities to learn and exchange experience with many kind of professionals. If your goal of LIFE is personal development, GIZ is one of the challenging workplaces I would recommend!

Cons

Because GIZ is non-profit organization, you cannot aim for getting higher benefits for the more efforts you provided -- Different from other private company principle that "the more you do, the more you gain". However, it is also good for you to keep balance between work and life.

Great experience

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at GIZ as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly stuff, competitive salary, ethical organisation

Cons

Hard to get a permanent position

Paperwork could be further decreased

Factory of mediocrity, arrogance and negativity.

Former Employee - Junior Technical Advisor in New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Junior Technical Advisor in New Delhi (India)

I worked at GIZ full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nothing. The HR is a bunch of subversive, ill qualified folk with no spine. There is zero accountability. Money is thrown around to hire extremely mediocre german experts for very high sums of money, just to meet record keeping requirements. the work has literally zero impact. its amazing what a total hogwash this organization is.

Cons

1. Very poor internal culture. The leadership lacks the awareness/inclination to address the issue. You feel like you are in colonial India, except the managements are ill qualified buffoons with zero idea of the Indian context or even development. This in itself takes away from any pros, which for a reasonably self motivated professional, are none.

restructure. do an intensive cultural orientation to your staff before sending them in tropes to other countries. Reflect. Correct. What are you set out to do? Hire people from Ivy Leagues.

Intern

Current Employee - Private Sector Development in Windhoek (Namibia)
    Current Employee - Private Sector Development in Windhoek (Namibia)

I have been working at GIZ as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

International exposure, smart people, possibility to follow own projects, work across different teams. Clear goals from the ministry. Nice office locations and good social life in the company

Cons

Technocratic and slow, not always results orientated. No good training opportunities for interns and lack of contact to country directors.

A nice to place to gain experience in policy work.

Former Employee - Intern in New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Intern in New Delhi (India)

I worked at GIZ as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunities to travel to various domestic places and Germany. Also a lot of work is in coalition with the government (Ministry of Environment and Forests etc.) which gives a chance for a lot of networking. The work atmosphere is friendly and relaxed.

Cons

Since the work involves working with governments, a lot of projects can fall between the bureaucracy and not deliver as expected. The salaries are not very competitive.

Great company

Current Employee - Programmer Advisor in Juba, Baḩr al Jabal (Sudan)
    Current Employee - Programmer Advisor in Juba, Baḩr al Jabal (Sudan)

I have been working at GIZ as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Professionalism is accorded rightful recognition

Cons

Familiarity with German language is often setback in official (email) communication).

Give 1 month exclusive German language induction before work deployment.

Great atmosphere

Current Employee - Standards and Curriculum Expert in Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)

I have been working at GIZ full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to meet a lot of experts from all over the world. This allows you to develop some very strategic relationships.

You get to work on national projects with governments and private sector clients within a friendly atmosphere.

GIZ invest in your personal development to help you do your job

Cons

At the mid and top management there is a lot of turf wars which sometimes spoil relationhsips.

Keep the politics within the bounds of professionalism

functions exactly like the bureaucracies its german workforce likes to complain about

Current Employee - Technical Expert in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Technical Expert in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at GIZ full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nothing for an Indian staff. dont bother applying

Cons

- german staff treat locals as if they are second rate plebians. major neo nazism.
    - no prospects for upward growth
    - projects are not adequately monitored by country director's teams. therefore the projects run like dictatorships, often led by 'AVs' who are thoroughly unprofessional
    - poor intellectual culture within the organisation.

the conduct of the german international staff is disgraceful, and can be interpreted as racist. dire need for internal reflection.

Great learning experience, and handsome pay for the easy peasy kind of work I did there.

Former Employee - Planning Intern in New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Planning Intern in New Delhi (India)

I worked at GIZ as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

German colleagues, European work culture, Easy peasy work. Saturday-Sunday off, Lots of office parties, great exposure to global industry.

Cons

None that I can think of. Personally I'm not going to continue there only because I have greater interests in starting a firm of my own.

Good Job. Keep it going.

GIZ Photos

New building under construction - will include daycare center

+ Add Photo