GKN Driveline North America

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Philippe Cabassol

GKN Driveline has provided me great opportunities, great insight and open to employee suggestions and inputs.

Supply Chain Intern (Current Employee)
    Hickory, NC

ProsWe work hard so we can play hard. After only interning for 6 weeks we have had a GKN family day, participated in Relay for Life, Red Cross Blood Drive, a trip to the US Whitewater Center, and upcoming events include a community service project, and a minor league Hickory crawdads baseball game. Their company culture speaks volumes and overflows into the support of their community. They really care about their employees and listen to their opinions, you know when you say something that you are being heard and actions are taking place when needed. Although every one has individual roles they emphasize teamwork and helping each other to better the company.

ConsCommunication between seperate business groups seems to be lacking. Need more cross functional teams or cross functional communication.

Temp haven

Machine Operator (Former Employee)
    Newton, NC

ProsMost of the people on the floor are easy to get along with. Sundays they serve lunch for everyone. The plants are very clean and orderly. The work/life balance is very good. If only the compensation was better.

ConsThe work is easy, everyone basically just has to press a button. For some, that is ok...but I found it too monotonous. There are a few temps with degrees in engineering and finance that work on the production floor and are never placed in a position to be utilized the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart utilizing the skills of people on the floor, they want to help you if you will just let them

Good

ProsWorked at one of the NC facilities. People were easy to work with and pleasant.

ConsManagement needed to get together on the goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove management cooperation.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Job Good

Operator (Current Employee)

ProsGood Pay. Good Hours. Decent People

ConsHR needs better comunication with employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk more with employees

Good place to work

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee)
    Roxboro, NC

ProsGood company with established business processes, I was given plenty of opportunities to develop myself and show what I can do. Very good lean practices and committed to educating the whole workforce in lean. The working atmosphere was good and everyone always pulled together to get to the job done

ConsAs an organization it leaves buying machines and committing money too late in the process which makes it challenging to meet project timelines.
    It also does not do a good job of attracting the best talent.
    Senior management is sometimes indecisive and leaves decisions to the very last minute

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to some of the challenges of your people. Spend money earlier, it will help you be more successful. If you don't spend money, don't be surprised if it doesn't work as planned.

Not too agressive

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Auburn Hills, MI

ProsIts a stable position without heavy demands

ConsCompany doesn't care to be innovative and would rather not be aggressive in pursuing new opportunities

GKN BGR could be so much more if those from corporate would allow it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Bowling Green, OH

ProsStable company that tries to do the best for its employees. Promotions from within are now being done as they were not before. Mgmt seems to be more consistent.

ConsManager who turned company around left and it seems to be falling apart. Should pay those that are vial to organization not what a cart shows, same for all levels in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementListens to what your people are telling you and reward them for this actions.

Trash mixed with treasure

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Mebane, NC

ProsFantastic exotic metal fabrication processes. Tight tolerance high volume manufacturing and assembly. Robotics and controls, material handling. An almost endless array of interesting and challenging technical processes and techniques. A sea of automation. No real problems with excessive meetings, bureaucracy, light on management.

ConsThere is no sales or order systems. The business appears to be run on excel spreadsheets via email. Horrific problems are ignored while minor problems are beaten to death. Islands of automation with no data generated or retained other than at the local level makes data driven decision making impossible. Primitive machinery from the 70's is flogged for output while new tooling investments stand idle. Light on talent and expertise. Primitive working conditions on the shop and in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using local heat exchangers to dump heat into the plant, and then using air conditioning to move the heat again. and again. The plant has grown organically with no thought to heat flow or material flow. Or parts flow. Just stuff in more and move things around. And it shows.

A good place to work for some people but not most. large turnover, they are switching to temps.

Machine Operator (Former Employee)
    Newton, NC

ProsYou get to learn a lot of different technologies. work with some good people.

ConsDo not get paid what your told you will. Supervisors only let certain people move up. Like I said they are changing over to 10.00 hr temps. I know people have been temp. for two yrs. while friends or family get hired on...move right on up to supervisor(even when not qualified).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management!!!

Good opportunity for students, can be better though!

Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
    Mebane, NC

ProsGood place to start your career at. Has a lot of scope for improvement (to be made). Can get creative depending on your boss. Overall a very decent place to work.

ConsPeople are so immune to changes. Difficult to sell your idea, even if its great. One can feel the politics at work. Can be really irritating at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan put in more effort and thought in the utilization of resources, especially interns.

Worked for GKN Driveline North America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GKN Driveline North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GKN Driveline North America CEO Philippe Cabassol. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by GKN Driveline North America employees.