GKN Driveline North America

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.2

Philippe Cabassol

Very clean and efficient company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hickory, NC

I have been working at GKN Driveline North America as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, clean environment. The Hickory location is beginning expansion.

Cons

Some of the assembly line equipment is old and not running at best it could be.

None

Gkn Driveline experience

Current Employee - Machine Operator  in  Newton, NC
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Newton, NC

I have been working at GKN Driveline North America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits an its a great place to work for.

Cons

Management was bad depending in which department you are in. An some department there is no team work at. I learned to run all my department's machine and I got stuck running all 7 by myself with little pay. That's a no no. Up to you if you want to work there.

GKN Driveline has provided me great opportunities, great insight and open to employee suggestions and inputs.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern  in  Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Hickory, NC

Pros

We work hard so we can play hard. After only interning for 6 weeks we have had a GKN family day, participated in Relay for Life, Red Cross Blood Drive, a trip to the US Whitewater Center, and upcoming events include a community service project, and a minor league Hickory crawdads baseball game. Their company culture speaks volumes and overflows into the support of their community. They really care about their employees and listen to their opinions, you know when you say something that you are being heard and actions are taking place when needed. Although every one has individual roles they emphasize teamwork and helping each other to better the company.

Cons

Communication between seperate business groups seems to be lacking. Need more cross functional teams or cross functional communication.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Temp haven

Former Employee - Machine Operator  in  Newton, NC
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Newton, NC

I worked at GKN Driveline North America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the people on the floor are easy to get along with. Sundays they serve lunch for everyone. The plants are very clean and orderly. The work/life balance is very good. If only the compensation was better.

Cons

The work is easy, everyone basically just has to press a button. For some, that is ok...but I found it too monotonous. There are a few temps with degrees in engineering and finance that work on the production floor and are never placed in a position to be utilized the best.

Start utilizing the skills of people on the floor, they want to help you if you will just let them

Job Good

Current Employee - Operator  in  Newton, NC
    Current Employee - Operator in Newton, NC

I have been working at GKN Driveline North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay. Good Hours. Decent People

Cons

HR needs better comunication with employees

Talk more with employees

Good

I have been working at GKN Driveline North America

Pros

Worked at one of the NC facilities. People were easy to work with and pleasant.

Cons

Management needed to get together on the goals.

Improve management cooperation.

Not too agressive

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at GKN Driveline North America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a stable position without heavy demands

Cons

Company doesn't care to be innovative and would rather not be aggressive in pursuing new opportunities

Good place to work

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Roxboro, NC
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Roxboro, NC

I worked at GKN Driveline North America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good company with established business processes, I was given plenty of opportunities to develop myself and show what I can do. Very good lean practices and committed to educating the whole workforce in lean. The working atmosphere was good and everyone always pulled together to get to the job done

Cons

As an organization it leaves buying machines and committing money too late in the process which makes it challenging to meet project timelines.
    It also does not do a good job of attracting the best talent.
    Senior management is sometimes indecisive and leaves decisions to the very last minute

Listen more to some of the challenges of your people. Spend money earlier, it will help you be more successful. If you don't spend money, don't be surprised if it doesn't work as planned.

GKN BGR could be so much more if those from corporate would allow it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bowling Green, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, OH

I worked at GKN Driveline North America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable company that tries to do the best for its employees. Promotions from within are now being done as they were not before. Mgmt seems to be more consistent.

Cons

Manager who turned company around left and it seems to be falling apart. Should pay those that are vial to organization not what a cart shows, same for all levels in the organization.

Listens to what your people are telling you and reward them for this actions.

Trash mixed with treasure

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Mebane, NC
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Mebane, NC

I worked at GKN Driveline North America as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic exotic metal fabrication processes. Tight tolerance high volume manufacturing and assembly. Robotics and controls, material handling. An almost endless array of interesting and challenging technical processes and techniques. A sea of automation. No real problems with excessive meetings, bureaucracy, light on management.

Cons

There is no sales or order systems. The business appears to be run on excel spreadsheets via email. Horrific problems are ignored while minor problems are beaten to death. Islands of automation with no data generated or retained other than at the local level makes data driven decision making impossible. Primitive machinery from the 70's is flogged for output while new tooling investments stand idle. Light on talent and expertise. Primitive working conditions on the shop and in the office.

Stop using local heat exchangers to dump heat into the plant, and then using air conditioning to move the heat again. and again. The plant has grown organically with no thought to heat flow or material flow. Or parts flow. Just stuff in more and move things around. And it shows.

Worked for GKN Driveline North America? Contribute to the Community!