GKN Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.1

Nigel M. Stein

perform highly technical work to perfection

I worked at GKN full-time

Pros

it is a company that provides good opportunities

Cons

meet the projects assigned to perfection

investigate exellent employees who are

It was challenging, plenty of overtime, and I got a chance to learn a lot of machining techniques.

Current Employee - CNC Operator in Woodridge, IL
    Current Employee - CNC Operator in Woodridge, IL

I have been working at GKN full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have to say theLearning experiences I had while working there.

Cons

In my opinion they displayed poor leadership.

Spend more time developing and training employees.

Big Company, Small Company Problem

Former Employee - Associate Manufacturing Engineer in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Manufacturing Engineer in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at GKN full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I think their willingness to back aggressive development of yet to be developed products is good. The salary is good as well.

Cons

They were very unorganized, and had a management system constructed by seniority, not by competence.

I would say that a top down approach is important to ensure ventures into technology. You can't hire a bunch of entry level engineers to get manpower up, but leave them unguided with poor strategies and management skills.

Airplane Tech

I worked at GKN full-time

Pros

Good Company, they care about their employees

Cons

To far to drive on a daily basis

Keep up the good work

GKN St. Louis: Salaried Personnel are Treated Poorly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazelwood, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazelwood, MO

I have been working at GKN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

GKN typically offers a fair salary.

Cons

GKN St. Louis is driven purely by sales and does not embrace quality, training, or engineering functions as value added. This company does not value its employees and management often utilizes bullying tactics and threats to motivate. This company is poor at planning, scheduling, or utilizing data to improve its customer and employee relations. Employee morale is very low across all levels.

Profit driven company with no quality focus

Current Employee - Current Employee in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at GKN full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for starter who knows how to negotiate.

Cons

too many at garden grove, ca. bully management who are unfair to their employee, especially for those who are not in the right group. hostile environment, i was threaten twice by my manager because i corrected his statement in meetings. Incompetent manager, but HR does not do anything about it forces employee to leave. micro-managing while he can't do anything. demand to do things his way which does not inline with the ultimate goal of the company causing embarrassment to the team. Poor teamwork between production and does not corporate with quality, its all about profits and no quality. quality is a no no, but blame everything on quality personnel when things go bad. Big company but acts like a small mom and pa shop with no clear direction and schedule. No preventive, only jump at last minute and forces bad products to customers and blame quality department when you have a customer complaints. not enough quality personnel to clean up the mess and do not want to invest in quality. they think quality is a waste of resource and money. Forces quality to fix everything and do all the work but does not get support from most upper management. All talk about quality but can't actually do the walk. always complain about no quality support yet don't care about quality and does not provide resource to quality. only 2-3 quality engineers to support quality issues for the whole company, while quality manager just sit at his computer and do nothing but pretend he's working and wasting QE time by pretending to guide the QE.

this should go to the upper management to corporate level in UK. Management should really takes time to investigate their facilities. Business is all about profit but quality will bring you profit. Preventing and reducing potential risk rather than fight fire everyday. Really look into the individual management at each facility and work to change the culture of each facility.

Lots of opportunity for improvement....

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at GKN full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked in local, divisional and group roles... The closer to the work - the better the environment.

Cons

Highly politicized... The company has invested 10s of millions in lean programs but has a fundamental gap in how they lead. Sr. Leaders are insulated from the rest of the workforce and the HR teams don't really measure anything that matters.

Step back and reevaluate how you attract, retain and develop leaders... Your Leadership Success Profiles don't truly measure leadership.

Worst HR and Management Ever!!

Current Employee - Area Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Area Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at GKN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The high pay makes it seem what it is not.

Cons

I have never seen the executives from Dallas and UK make the same message two days in arrow. The local managers have been replaced twice in 9 months.. if you have not been replaced your on the inside track.. so your poor performace is ok.

Try to get the right people.. Fire everyone in HR and start over.. get rid of the wrong power that IS HOLDING BACK true growth. The inmates are running the show not the managers all driven by HR unwilling to support managers. The Union will kill this place because of how she treats them.

Overall a good experience.

I have been working at GKN

Pros

Director is fully engaged in our program.
    Plenty of resources

Cons

Lack in urgency across the board.
    Accountability lacks in most departments.
    Under-utilized in my role.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at GKN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair pay, benefits package, and good all around work-life balance. in general, supportive, cooperative, and friendly coworkers. Interesting and challenging work with plenty room to learn and gain a mastery of the business.

Cons

The nature of aerospace forces a competitive nature in the company and relatively few available contracts often creates ups and downs in business that do not lend itself well to stability.

More transparency.