GLL

Updated Jul 7, 2014

GLL Managing Director Mark Sesnan

Mark Sesnan

Amazing

Duty Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsOpportunity to better yourself and grow in the company, great people to work with.

ConsWorking with underprivileged people brings it's challenges in customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementMy managers always been supportive, keep the good work going

Undervalued

Group Exercise Lead (Current Employee) Clapham, London, England (UK)

ProsGet to work with some good people. Possible career progression depending on your role. As a department line manager I had a Zero hour contract which allowed me to work when I needed and was left to do my job as my General Manager knew I didn't need watching over.

ConsSenior management have very little connection to the shop floor and running of facilities, do not appreciate the role of group exercise and the value brought to the business. Takes too long to get anything done, too much red tape and interference from senior management, only consider the smaller picture of how much it will cost, not how it will improve, retain or attract new business.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttend a Group Exercise Lead meeting, listen to the line managers, ensure general managers listen the their GEL's and don't dismiss their views or take group ex budget and relocate.

Good experience

Swim Teacher and Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat collegues and leadership within the gym at Swiss Cottage

ConsA lot of the same equipment in the gym as opposed to more creative equipment which wouldn't even take up much space that could be used for bodyweight exercises. this improved with Vipers and some other equipment but there is still lots missing to make it a comprehensive gym at Swiss Cottage such as TRX, kettlebells and so on. The management of the whole centre wasn't great and changed regularly which I don't think was beneficial for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change the management too often - it felt like musical chairs at times, desperately getting different people in because Swiss Cottage is the 'flagship' centre so if things weren't running with 100% efficiency there would be a big change, which isn't necessarily the answer. I don't think employees were treated very well and there was a huge amount of complaining about management around the centre which I have never experienced so much of before.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

efficient, easy, and somewhat fun

Lifeguard (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt's easy tp move around between centre's if you wished to. there's always work going and generally people are nice

ConsIt's not hugely well paid for entry level employee's. Also for non-contract employee's, lunch breaks are unpaid, which is annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more responsibility for the lower down employee's. It will make them feel like they have value, and improve their work ethic, as well as teaching them skills needed to rise up in the company.

Positive can do attitudes.

CSA (Current Employee) Mill Hill, England (UK)

Prosyou get to work beneath staff who have worke their way up from the same position you start in. also there is soo many centres you can move around to speed up promotion.

Conshavng to pay for gym membership and not enough people care asmuch about the centre as you do so it can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Senior Managementtry to keep hings positive because as soon as you put people down they are less likely to work as hard. enforce positive as well as negative feedback.

Sociable

Swim Teacher and Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThere seems to be a lot of FREE FI CPDs on offer. Generally a good friendly atmosphere. Opportunity for progression

ConsMuch lower rates of pay and no free staff membership compared to other leisure companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to see more CPD training for swim teachers too, to keep students in swim school for longer, more aquatic sports courses ie water polo, diving, syncro

Trust the credentials of your employees so practical things don't get so delayed by GLL specific criteria when they clearly already comply with national governing bodies.

Transformational graduate management scheme that has provided invaluable professional and personal experiences.

Service Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSocial agenda and the culture it creates even with many employees. Progressing staff and talent from within.

ConsGLL makes great managers but also leadership is important too and training around this would have been good at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more follow up on the appraisal side of things to ensure everyone has time to evidence and discuss development and training needs a well as feeling valued. I would liked to spend longer, and did in my own time with staff to discuss their role and experiences. Procedure for this work was great but coupled with a more personal and tangible coaching element would of been great.

Good stepping stone to learn basic skills, but lack of progression

Community Sports Officer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsDiscounted gym membership, able to work with a range of people from front line to senior management, a lot of responsibility given.

ConsAdditional responsibility does not equate to more money, no increase in salary for a number of years, progression often occurs if you know the 'right people' in non-operational roles (i.e. events, sport development, HR, marketing, IT etc.), Training to develop staff is non-existent in non-operational roles, recognition not given, company is backward in terms of innovation, always lagging behind the rest.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise the hard work people put in, and pay according to the loyalty and hard by employees, advertise jobs correctly and don't ear mark positions for people even before they have become public knowledge

Average, little accountability of role or importance given to it. Could be a vital component of company.

Community Sports Officer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVariety and scope of role, lots of different people and experiences to be had

ConsNo training opportunities at all for current role, no progression and little innovation or risk-taking. Completely risk-averse ethos which is counter-intuative.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore trust in employees, more training opportunities, increase responsibility and prestige of position. The working environment is bland, particularly in my position as a community sports officer. Not enough resource to do the job properly - physicals (ie laptop/phone/desk space!), should be a budget aligned to role, clearer progression to align with other parts of the company and training opportunities.

Appallingly bad Admin & Finance department. Payslips reduced for no reason. Expenses not paid.

ProsProvided the training I needed to move on. As much of it is needed from a Health & Safety point of view you've got a good chance of getting some qualifications on the CV. Just may take longer than expected.

ConsAppallingly bad management. Company seems very slow and disjointed. Some of their policies feel like shackles. Initiative is never rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts the basics that are important; communicating with your team, getting their training done, making sure they're paid correctly & on time. Get it right.

Worked for GLL? Contribute to the Community!