GLL Reviews

3.2
GLL Managing Director Mark Sesnan
Mark Sesnan

1. Good

I have been working at GLL

Pros

Fun great members and staff

Cons

Too much cleaning and stuff

Increase pay

2. Perfect colleagues and customers.... the worst expectations, money over morals

Former Employee - Fitness Instructor
    Former Employee - Fitness Instructor

I worked at GLL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In the start of working for the company things are great and there are occasional staff days out. The customers and colleagues are brilliant 99% of the time, the work load seems fair in comparison to the salary.

Cons

your job role becomes less and less of what you expected, i felt like a cleaner 80% of the time and a fitness instructor 10% and the remainder being a sales advisor/ receptionist. to pass the upper management tests and targets corners were always cut and shift reports were faked at the end of the shift. My main priority was to keep customers happy by constantly interacting with them and sharing my knowledge and expertise with them, however this was very difficult to do when i was cleaning toilets, scrubbing poolside alongside other jobs in that area that i am not trained to do, i was also told at points to stop offering free personal training to customers when i was not busy because they then would not be returning a profit from this. there was always promises of extra qualifications or courses to help enhance ourselves. however nothing was ever provided unless they were desperate to fulfil a role internally rather than pay another person to save money. Whist at this company i witnessed many illegal activities take place such as forging of personal documents, clinical waste bins were exactly the same when i started to when i left, being used as a door stop next to poolside alongside its official purpose and was not changed once. my qualifications were photocopied but under law to work as a fitness instructor under their guidelines i should be on the register of exercise professionals, i attempted to have this done through the company as told 4 times each time paperwork was either 'lost' misplaced, forgotten about or similar poor excuses. this meant i was working illegally for over a year under their policy. while i was working my hours were slightly changed without my knowledge, after months of this i realised i had been working more hours than i was paid for. on confrontation of this matter i was dismissed because apparently i "had not signed in for every single shift, and it was not all on CCTV" so it was dropped. After leaving i received a pay check that looked exactly how my final one should look. i spent this on university expenditure. a few months later received numerous emails and harassing phone calls from GLL asking for repayment of this money, the reason being that my old manager had filled out my leaving form wrong and stated i did not take holidays, i was compensated for this fact - but as it was not to my knowledge about this error i spend the money unknowingly. on fighting the case stating i was now a student at university, living in debt with no income struggling to afford basic food to feed myself, i was told that is irrelevant and i needed to pay the money back as even though it was entirely their fault, in a contract i signed upon starting with the company there was small print that covered this base for them. so i have had to start paying them over £700 taking me past my overdraft limit incurring charges of £5 per day on myself so that GLL are happy. The work also becomes very boring and tedious after a while. all GLL care about is how many people are paying their memberships not satisfaction, complaints are never dealt with and ignored.

Focus on customers and their happiness not their wallets. also take into consideration the complaints they give out and act on them, not leave it until it comes from higher up. give special considerations to people you used to "care about" as your members of staff, who gave everything to their job, started to further their career aspirations to be stabbed in the back and left to pick up the pieces of an error on your part! Don't forge documents illegally and lie under investigations. Ensure staff are happy by letting them do the job role you gave them, occasionally covering another area is fine. expecting overtime to be done for free. breaks were often not given due to lack of staff. illegal hours were worked. change the clinical waste bins and don't allow them to block open doors. follow up on promises to help gain qualifications. Continue staff days out as they were a lot of fun, the staff morale is vital to the centre and this is what kept many of us from leaving and kept the target being met one way or another. Staff should also receive free use of facilities and not have to pay £13 per month to use the equipment they are dealing with and showing everyone else to use daily.

3. A company with a great ethos and mission that's honest about the good things and the challenges.

Current Employee - Corporate Support Role
    Current Employee - Corporate Support Role

I have been working at GLL full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at a few different employers in the past and GLL is one of only a number of those companies that not only exists to do good in the community, but was also honest about the job itself. They promise training and career development and they really mean it! I feel really invested in and like I can go far here.

Cons

As it's a charitable social enterprise, we don't have the huge budgets that private companies have. We have strict policies and procedures, but that can be a good thing as public safety comes first.

5. As a Casual Staff you are treated indifferently at best.

Former Contractor - Casual Gym Staff in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Casual Gym Staff in London, England (UK)

I worked at GLL as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility of Casual work is great. You meet a lot of nice interesting people - staff and members. The opportunity to get a foot in the door and progress in the health industry in some capacity is there, I suppose.

Cons

Staff having to pay for gym membership.
    Casual staff gym membership payments is a lucrative source of income for the organisations. The catch is that they don't have to actually give you the hours of work you want. A large portion of Casual Staff on their books, should probably no longer qualify as Casual Employees, but are still paying their monthly gym membership, whether or not they are using the facilities.

It is important to ensure they are no longer taking £13 when you are off their books. So cancel your direct debit. GLL might be classified as a charitable social enterprise, but getting any money back from them may take ages, if you do in fact get your entitled refund.

GLL Response

Dec 15, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We’re sorry to hear that you feel this way. We can confirm that all of our staff (that wish to use our facilities) pay a heavily subsidised gym membership which allows you to use any of our leisure ... More

6. Undervalued

Current Employee - Group Exercise Lead in Clapham, London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Group Exercise Lead in Clapham, London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work with some good people. Possible career progression depending on your role. As a department line manager I had a Zero hour contract which allowed me to work when I needed and was left to do my job as my General Manager knew I didn't need watching over.

Cons

Senior management have very little connection to the shop floor and running of facilities, do not appreciate the role of group exercise and the value brought to the business. Takes too long to get anything done, too much red tape and interference from senior management, only consider the smaller picture of how much it will cost, not how it will improve, retain or attract new business.

Attend a Group Exercise Lead meeting, listen to the line managers, ensure general managers listen the their GEL's and don't dismiss their views or take group ex budget and relocate.

7. Good experience

Current Employee - Swim Teacher and Fitness Instructor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great collegues and leadership within the gym at Swiss Cottage

Cons

A lot of the same equipment in the gym as opposed to more creative equipment which wouldn't even take up much space that could be used for bodyweight exercises. this improved with Vipers and some other equipment but there is still lots missing to make it a comprehensive gym at Swiss Cottage such as TRX, kettlebells and so on. The management of the whole centre wasn't great and changed regularly which I don't think was beneficial for the employees.

Don't change the management too often - it felt like musical chairs at times, desperately getting different people in because Swiss Cottage is the 'flagship' centre so if things weren't running with 100% efficiency there would be a big change, which isn't necessarily the answer. I don't think employees were treated very well and there was a huge amount of complaining about management around the centre which I have never experienced so much of before.

8. Amazing

Current Employee - Duty Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Duty Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to better yourself and grow in the company, great people to work with.

Cons

Working with underprivileged people brings it's challenges in customer service

My managers always been supportive, keep the good work going

9. efficient, easy, and somewhat fun

Former Employee - Lifeguard in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in London, England (UK)

I worked at GLL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's easy tp move around between centre's if you wished to. there's always work going and generally people are nice

Cons

It's not hugely well paid for entry level employee's. Also for non-contract employee's, lunch breaks are unpaid, which is annoying.

Give more responsibility for the lower down employee's. It will make them feel like they have value, and improve their work ethic, as well as teaching them skills needed to rise up in the company.

10. Positive can do attitudes.

Current Employee - CSA in Mill Hill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSA in Mill Hill, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL full-time (less than a year)

Pros

you get to work beneath staff who have worke their way up from the same position you start in. also there is soo many centres you can move around to speed up promotion.

Cons

havng to pay for gym membership and not enough people care asmuch about the centre as you do so it can be frustrating at times.

try to keep hings positive because as soon as you put people down they are less likely to work as hard. enforce positive as well as negative feedback.

11. Sociable

Current Employee - Swim Teacher and Fitness Instructor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There seems to be a lot of FREE FI CPDs on offer. Generally a good friendly atmosphere. Opportunity for progression

Cons

Much lower rates of pay and no free staff membership compared to other leisure companies.

It would be nice to see more CPD training for swim teachers too, to keep students in swim school for longer, more aquatic sports courses ie water polo, diving, syncro

Trust the credentials of your employees so practical things don't get so delayed by GLL specific criteria when they clearly already comply with national governing bodies.

GLL Photos

Greenwich Leisure Limited, Royal Arsenal West (Photo thanks to Geograph user David Anstiss, Some Rights Reserved)
Clissold Leisure Centre in Hackney 2 (Photo thanks to Flickr user Social Enterprise Coalition, Some Rights Reserved)
Clissold Leisure Centre in Hackney (Photo thanks to Flickr user Social Enterprise Coalition, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo