GLL

Updated December 4, 2014
3.3

GLL Managing Director Mark Sesnan
Mark Sesnan

A company with a great ethos and mission that's honest about the good things and the challenges.

Current Employee - Corporate Support Role
    Current Employee - Corporate Support Role

I have been working at GLL full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked at a few different employers in the past and GLL is one of only a number of those companies that not only exists to do good in the community, but was also honest about the job itself. They promise training and career development and they really mean it! I feel really invested in and like I can go far here.

Cons

As it's a charitable social enterprise, we don't have the huge budgets that private companies have. We have strict policies and procedures, but that can be a good thing as public safety comes first.

As a Casual Staff you are treated indifferently at best.

Former Employee - Casual Gym Staff in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Gym Staff in London, England (UK)

I worked at GLL as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The flexibility of Casual work is great. You meet a lot of nice interesting people - staff and members. The opportunity to get a foot in the door and progress in the health industry in some capacity is there, I suppose.

Cons

Staff having to pay for gym membership.
    Casual staff gym membership payments is a lucrative source of income for the organisations. The catch is that they don't have to actually give you the hours of work you want. A large portion of Casual Staff on their books, should probably no longer qualify as Casual Employees, but are still paying their monthly gym membership, whether or not they are using the facilities.

It is important to ensure they are no longer taking £13 when you are off their books. So cancel your direct debit. GLL might be classified as a charitable social enterprise, but getting any money back from them may take ages, if you do in fact get your entitled refund.

GLL Response

Dec 15, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We’re sorry to hear that you feel this way. We can confirm that all of our staff (that wish to use our facilities) pay a heavily subsidised gym membership which allows you to use any of our leisure ... More

Undervalued

Current Employee - Group Exercise Lead in Clapham, London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Group Exercise Lead in Clapham, London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work with some good people. Possible career progression depending on your role. As a department line manager I had a Zero hour contract which allowed me to work when I needed and was left to do my job as my General Manager knew I didn't need watching over.

Cons

Senior management have very little connection to the shop floor and running of facilities, do not appreciate the role of group exercise and the value brought to the business. Takes too long to get anything done, too much red tape and interference from senior management, only consider the smaller picture of how much it will cost, not how it will improve, retain or attract new business.

Attend a Group Exercise Lead meeting, listen to the line managers, ensure general managers listen the their GEL's and don't dismiss their views or take group ex budget and relocate.

Amazing

Current Employee - Duty Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Duty Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to better yourself and grow in the company, great people to work with.

Cons

Working with underprivileged people brings it's challenges in customer service

My managers always been supportive, keep the good work going

Good experience

Current Employee - Swim Teacher and Fitness Instructor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great collegues and leadership within the gym at Swiss Cottage

Cons

A lot of the same equipment in the gym as opposed to more creative equipment which wouldn't even take up much space that could be used for bodyweight exercises. this improved with Vipers and some other equipment but there is still lots missing to make it a comprehensive gym at Swiss Cottage such as TRX, kettlebells and so on. The management of the whole centre wasn't great and changed regularly which I don't think was beneficial for the employees.

Don't change the management too often - it felt like musical chairs at times, desperately getting different people in because Swiss Cottage is the 'flagship' centre so if things weren't running with 100% efficiency there would be a big change, which isn't necessarily the answer. I don't think employees were treated very well and there was a huge amount of complaining about management around the centre which I have never experienced so much of before.

efficient, easy, and somewhat fun

Former Employee - Lifeguard in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in London, England (UK)

I worked at GLL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's easy tp move around between centre's if you wished to. there's always work going and generally people are nice

Cons

It's not hugely well paid for entry level employee's. Also for non-contract employee's, lunch breaks are unpaid, which is annoying.

Give more responsibility for the lower down employee's. It will make them feel like they have value, and improve their work ethic, as well as teaching them skills needed to rise up in the company.

Positive can do attitudes.

Current Employee - CSA in Mill Hill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSA in Mill Hill, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you get to work beneath staff who have worke their way up from the same position you start in. also there is soo many centres you can move around to speed up promotion.

Cons

havng to pay for gym membership and not enough people care asmuch about the centre as you do so it can be frustrating at times.

try to keep hings positive because as soon as you put people down they are less likely to work as hard. enforce positive as well as negative feedback.

Sociable

Current Employee - Swim Teacher and Fitness Instructor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There seems to be a lot of FREE FI CPDs on offer. Generally a good friendly atmosphere. Opportunity for progression

Cons

Much lower rates of pay and no free staff membership compared to other leisure companies.

It would be nice to see more CPD training for swim teachers too, to keep students in swim school for longer, more aquatic sports courses ie water polo, diving, syncro

Trust the credentials of your employees so practical things don't get so delayed by GLL specific criteria when they clearly already comply with national governing bodies.

Transformational graduate management scheme that has provided invaluable professional and personal experiences.

Former Employee - Service Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Service Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at GLL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Social agenda and the culture it creates even with many employees. Progressing staff and talent from within.

Cons

GLL makes great managers but also leadership is important too and training around this would have been good at the time.

Allow more follow up on the appraisal side of things to ensure everyone has time to evidence and discuss development and training needs a well as feeling valued. I would liked to spend longer, and did in my own time with staff to discuss their role and experiences. Procedure for this work was great but coupled with a more personal and tangible coaching element would of been great.

Good stepping stone to learn basic skills, but lack of progression

Former Employee - Community Sports Officer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Community Sports Officer in London, England (UK)

I worked at GLL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounted gym membership, able to work with a range of people from front line to senior management, a lot of responsibility given.

Cons

Additional responsibility does not equate to more money, no increase in salary for a number of years, progression often occurs if you know the 'right people' in non-operational roles (i.e. events, sport development, HR, marketing, IT etc.), Training to develop staff is non-existent in non-operational roles, recognition not given, company is backward in terms of innovation, always lagging behind the rest.

Recognise the hard work people put in, and pay according to the loyalty and hard by employees, advertise jobs correctly and don't ear mark positions for people even before they have become public knowledge

GLL Photos