GLL Reviews

3.1
GLL Managing Director Mark Sesnan
Mark Sesnan

1. SRA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlesex (Belize)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlesex (Belize)

I worked at GLL

Pros

Use of the pool and sauna

Cons

Poor management . Bias towards certain staff who slept with them . Awful company to work for . Poor pay and terrible shifts. No perks what so ever.

Advice to Management

Bulldoze botwell

2. CSA

Former Employee - CSA
    Former Employee - CSA

I worked at GLL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some good people to work with. who are genuinely people persons and love helping and teaching people about fitness. but these people thinning out and being forced to quit.

Cons

Everything. its like working with robots who have no hearts or morals. they only care about whats best for the business... full stop. you have to be cold and dislike everyone and be willing to stab anyone in the back and you will get far within company. everyone feels bullied. was told by general manager "whoever doesnt conform, we'll get rid of" nice?! companys very micro managed and your constantly being reminded by the way your treated.

Advice to Management

grow some hearts and stop screwing people over. listen to your employees. BE NICE and you will have a happier and more successfull work force.

3. CSA

I have been working at GLL (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible working hours. Perfect for students

Cons

unorganised centre structure. Good if you can use your own initiative

5. Waste of time

Former Employee - Fitness Instructor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Fitness Instructor in London, England (UK)

I worked at GLL

Pros

There are no pro's here, especially if you attempt to use your initiative.

Cons

You are likely to work underneath someone who ticks GLL's boxes but has little to no life experience. Absolute st company to work for, don't waste your time applying as you will regret it. Once saw he health and fitness supervisor collapse, when paramedics arrived the General Managers reaction was to 'huff' and 'tut' while sarcastically saying 'women huh'. Most unprofessional thing I have ever seen. Will attempt to get all staff to do cleaning to save on cleaning budget. I tried to make recommendations to improve the whole Gym scene here and was not listened to. Have since sold my idea's to another Gym chain and made enough money to set up my own fitness business.

Advice to Management

Look at the bigger picture, your best staff keep on leaving.

6. Good

I have been working at GLL

Pros

Fun great members and staff

Cons

Too much cleaning and stuff

Advice to Management

Increase pay

7. Perfect colleagues and customers.... the worst expectations, money over morals

Former Employee - Fitness Instructor
    Former Employee - Fitness Instructor

I worked at GLL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the start of working for the company things are great and there are occasional staff days out. The customers and colleagues are brilliant 99% of the time, the work load seems fair in comparison to the salary.

Cons

your job role becomes less and less of what you expected, i felt like a cleaner 80% of the time and a fitness instructor 10% and the remainder being a sales advisor/ receptionist. to pass the upper management tests and targets corners were always cut and shift reports were faked at the end of the shift. My main priority was to keep customers happy by constantly interacting with them and sharing my knowledge and expertise with them, however this was very difficult to do when i was cleaning toilets, scrubbing poolside alongside other jobs in that area that i am not trained to do, i was also told at points to stop offering free personal training to customers when i was not busy because they then would not be returning a profit from this. there was always promises of extra qualifications or courses to help enhance ourselves. however nothing was ever provided unless they were desperate to fulfil a role internally rather than pay another person to save money. Whist at this company i witnessed many illegal activities take place such as forging of personal documents, clinical waste bins were exactly the same when i started to when i left, being used as a door stop next to poolside alongside its official purpose and was not changed once. my qualifications were photocopied but under law to work as a fitness instructor under their guidelines i should be on the register of exercise professionals, i attempted to have this done through the company as told 4 times each time paperwork was either 'lost' misplaced, forgotten about or similar poor excuses. this meant i was working illegally for over a year under their policy. while i was working my hours were slightly changed without my knowledge, after months of this i realised i had been working more hours than i was paid for. on confrontation of this matter i was dismissed because apparently i "had not signed in for every single shift, and it was not all on CCTV" so it was dropped. After leaving i received a pay check that looked exactly how my final one should look. i spent this on university expenditure. a few months later received numerous emails and harassing phone calls from GLL asking for repayment of this money, the reason being that my old manager had filled out my leaving form wrong and stated i did not take holidays, i was compensated for this fact - but as it was not to my knowledge about this error i spend the money unknowingly. on fighting the case stating i was now a student at university, living in debt with no income struggling to afford basic food to feed myself, i was told that is irrelevant and i needed to pay the money back as even though it was entirely their fault, in a contract i signed upon starting with the company there was small print that covered this base for them. so i have had to start paying them over £700 taking me past my overdraft limit incurring charges of £5 per day on myself so that GLL are happy. The work also becomes very boring and tedious after a while. all GLL care about is how many people are paying their memberships not satisfaction, complaints are never dealt with and ignored.

Advice to Management

Focus on customers and their happiness not their wallets. also take into consideration the complaints they give out and act on them, not leave it until it comes from higher up. give special considerations to people you used to "care about" as your members of staff, who gave everything to their job, started to further their career aspirations to be stabbed in the back and left to pick up the pieces of an error on your part! Don't forge documents illegally and lie under investigations. Ensure staff are happy by letting them do the job role you gave them, occasionally covering another area is fine. expecting overtime to be done for free. breaks were often not given due to lack of staff. illegal hours were worked. change the clinical waste bins and don't allow them to block open doors. follow up on promises to help gain qualifications. Continue staff days out as they were a lot of fun, the staff morale is vital to the centre and this is what kept many of us from leaving and kept the target being met one way or another. Staff should also receive free use of facilities and not have to pay £13 per month to use the equipment they are dealing with and showing everyone else to use daily.

8. A company with a great ethos and mission that's honest about the good things and the challenges.

Current Employee - Corporate Support Role
    Current Employee - Corporate Support Role

I have been working at GLL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at a few different employers in the past and GLL is one of only a number of those companies that not only exists to do good in the community, but was also honest about the job itself. They promise training and career development and they really mean it! I feel really invested in and like I can go far here.

Cons

As it's a charitable social enterprise, we don't have the huge budgets that private companies have. We have strict policies and procedures, but that can be a good thing as public safety comes first.

9. Undervalued

Current Employee - Group Exercise Lead in Clapham, London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Group Exercise Lead in Clapham, London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work with some good people. Possible career progression depending on your role. As a department line manager I had a Zero hour contract which allowed me to work when I needed and was left to do my job as my General Manager knew I didn't need watching over.

Cons

Senior management have very little connection to the shop floor and running of facilities, do not appreciate the role of group exercise and the value brought to the business. Takes too long to get anything done, too much red tape and interference from senior management, only consider the smaller picture of how much it will cost, not how it will improve, retain or attract new business.

Advice to Management

Attend a Group Exercise Lead meeting, listen to the line managers, ensure general managers listen the their GEL's and don't dismiss their views or take group ex budget and relocate.

10. Good experience

Current Employee - Swim Teacher and Fitness Instructor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Swim Teacher and Fitness Instructor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great collegues and leadership within the gym at Swiss Cottage

Cons

A lot of the same equipment in the gym as opposed to more creative equipment which wouldn't even take up much space that could be used for bodyweight exercises. this improved with Vipers and some other equipment but there is still lots missing to make it a comprehensive gym at Swiss Cottage such as TRX, kettlebells and so on. The management of the whole centre wasn't great and changed regularly which I don't think was beneficial for the employees.

Advice to Management

Don't change the management too often - it felt like musical chairs at times, desperately getting different people in because Swiss Cottage is the 'flagship' centre so if things weren't running with 100% efficiency there would be a big change, which isn't necessarily the answer. I don't think employees were treated very well and there was a huge amount of complaining about management around the centre which I have never experienced so much of before.

11. Amazing

Current Employee - Duty Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Duty Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to better yourself and grow in the company, great people to work with.

Cons

Working with underprivileged people brings it's challenges in customer service

Advice to Management

My managers always been supportive, keep the good work going

RSS Feed </> Embed