GLOBALFOUNDRIES
www.globalfoundries.com Milpitas, CA 5000+ Employees

GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Sanjay K. Jha

Pros:
  • "Another good thing is, new desk and builidings so you can have clean work environment"
    in 17 reviews
  • "good for those who wan work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Zero work life balance for some, while others can leave on time --> Work not distributed fairly"
    in 16 reviews
  • "A lot of blame coming from upper management when in business it is known that"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very Poor Performance Rewards Program

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGF is a place with really great people who came from all over the world to be successful

ConsUnfortunately, the company leadership and HR practices are so bad that I don't think there is any way for it to succeed. The performance management process is one example. The process is completely subjective, there are no facts used to evaluate performance and progress. If your manager likes you, you might get a good review. If s/he doesn't you are screwed.
Even if your manager gives you a good review, HR enforces an outdated process that lowers your ratings to fit into a distribution curve they simply made up. HR is out of the 70's, they are backwards, weak, ineffective, but yet they are very feared. It is tragic.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire HR and start over again.

Seriously BAD management and Vendor ran company

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood Pay
Great Benefits
New Equipment

ConsOnly time in my working career that doing the objective right thing has proven to be a hindrance rather then a benefit.

Lots of scared managers running around from meeting room to meeting room, stammering about cutting costs and value engineering and setting department policies that are reminiscent of 1950's McCarthyism.

Meanwhile, the engineers and rank and file workers are left completely alone to figure out what work needs to be done, without any direction, support, and without any feeling of ownership. Resources are misappropriated and underestimated.

Vendors have more control over the GF equipment than the actual system owners.

Most employees feel broken due to lack of ownership and lack of management's support.

Advice to Senior ManagementTerminate all worthless managers that are continuously leading us in the wrong direction.

Empower those who will lead us to a successful and profitable company.

Provide a private forum for your employees to voice they concerns. Sad statement that we have to go on public internet and post information in hope that it will be read by someone who cares and has the wherewithal to effect a positive change. Sure sign of desperation for any employee.

Need for a stronger fab leadership, not more consultant and corporate advisors

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, decent compensations, fab start-up opportunities (still in start-up mode), great potential for growth if the technology is ready in time.

ConsFab's business and investment decision making is led by finance and procurement who have no wafer fab experience and clueless about the fab challenges.
The business plan is changing too often due to too much investor, corporate advisor and consultant involvement.
The new organization is changing from bad to worst. The fab today has no clear leadership and key decision maker.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the GM fast and fully empower him or her to own the fab business plan and key decision, minimize the involvement of investor, corporate advisor and consultant on the day to day business process.
Spend more time to understand how employee's issues and find way to improve the morale. Do not freeze the increment and bonuses again.
Look into the tecnology leadership effectiveness. We can't win if the technology readiness is not meeting customer's timeline.

Poor top management waste 3 years of growth and maybe we have no time anymore

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood engineers and reasonable supervisors. The new CEO many bring more positiveness.

ConsThe VPs' leadship is very poor. They have no such ability or knowledge to lead the company. They did funny decisions every day. I cannot believe how those presidents can be still there for past 3 years. With various directions and focus changing everyday, people is very busy but working blindly with no efficiency. It makes us feel pessimistic to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTerminate all vice presidents.

Dr. Suess meets Dr. Kevorkian

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you LOVE the idea of working in a enviroment that resembles the most twisted and psychotic horror movie you have ever seen, this is your place! Do you love the idea of drinking away your sorrows? Then this is your place! Do you want to feel like a beaten down dog that just cant get abused enough? come on down!

ConsWhat cons could there be? who doesnt like to nearly vomit everytime they get out of bed to come here? you lose so much wieght from the stress! whats not to like about that? Every review on this site that is negative is true. do NOT believe the fake positive ones that HR placed. This place made me wish i was back overseas fighting a war! at least there you have REAL leadership. if you want to gouge your eyes out with a rusty spoon, this is the place to get your motivation.

Advice to Senior Managementi would say its about 3 managers to every actual worker. you would literally have to fire this entire site, and start over. maybe a actual successfull semiconductor company could but this one, and start over. its kind of like the amittyville horror house, where you slowy become pyschotic. but whats not to love about that!!

A company with tons of potentials

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than 8 years

ProsInnovative, new technology and overall people are easy to work with,get recognized by management

Conspoor HR, salary not competitive, incompetent high level managers

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to stand up and make tough decisions, not moving engineers to do nonsense work

Leading edge technology - lots of stress

Principal Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than 5 years

Prosworking on the bleeding edge

ConsTechnical direction lacking - projects get cancelled

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of picking the future direction

another day at work

Senior Technician (Current Employee)
Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for less than a year

Prospay is ok, could be better.

Cons12hr shifts. all about production and hitting numbers. some people are stressed.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more workers and build parking garage and have an easier way to park in sea of cars.

a large company with multi culture

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Prosgood engineers, hard working attitude

Constop level managers put too much focus in short term goals. they never thought about how to achieve long term goals in a systematic way.

Advice to Senior Managementthink about how to encourage result oriented attitude.

Nice people, poor management.

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
East Fishkill, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than a year

ProsColleagues are generally nice, unless under big work pressure. Working hours are flexible as long as jobs can be finished before deadlines.

ConsCommunication between different departments is very inefficient, and collaboration involving different teams could sometimes be very frustrating. Management has a lot of room to improve.

Worked for GLOBALFOUNDRIES? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GLOBALFOUNDRIES reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GLOBALFOUNDRIES CEO Sanjay K. Jha. All 269 reviews posted anonymously by GLOBALFOUNDRIES employees.