GLOBALFOUNDRIES
www.globalfoundries.com Milpitas, CA 5000+ Employees

GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Sanjay K. Jha

Pros:
  • "Another good thing is, new desk and builidings so you can have clean work environment"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Fair work life balance if you have a reasonable manager"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Zero work life balance for some, while others can leave on time --> Work not distributed fairly"
    in 14 reviews
  • "A lot of blame coming from upper management when in business it is known that"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bad early company decisions that got snowballed...

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInvestor hasn't seemed to give up - just hired a new CEO

Cons1. Hired way to many VP, directors, and managers before they even began to hire any engineers: A roomful of managers with no one to delegate tasks to quickly turns the environment into top-heavy, micromanaging, and full of toxic politics.

2. Over-stretching corporate objectives too far: The company started with a very ambitious goal - to merge two companies (AMD's fab and Charter) and at the same time overtake TSMC in technology lead. While that's challenging enough, the company executive decided to develop multiple technology lines in parallel. 5 years since the company's inception and billions of dollars spent, none of these dreams are anywhere close to realize.

3. Chose to built the fab in the remote corner of upper state New York: The geography lacked a sustainable pool of local talent and vendor support, and the remoteness discourages many good candidate to come. After the attrition rate started to rise, it is very difficult for the company to find experienced replacement.

4. Weak executive leadership team: Not sure whose idea it is to put together a leadership team with members all from failed, bankrupted, or acquired companies. None of them have the experience running a SUCCESSFUL company.

5. Relocation a large number of formerly Charter managers from Singapore to Malta: Should have relocated engineers rather than managers. On top adding to an already over-staffed management layer, the Singapore managers frequently use public humiliations and midnight calls to intimidate their subordinates - a common culture in Asia but not welcome in America.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the new CEO, maybe the company can finally restructure and start-over. The foundation is already too rotten.

Was hopeful 3 years ago, now just defeated. Resume updated and sent out.

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazing engineering talent in the beginning.
The potential to be a profitable, inspiring, innovative company IS there.

ConsPoor Management - Many talented managers and staff have left, some good ones stayed but have been demoted or transferred due to cultural style differences. Most of the upper management is from failed companies. Many do not understand how to manage various cultures and situations.

Sexual Harassment - Apparently okay in other countries but HR and certain management believe that if an individual is from a country that tolerates it that sexual harassment by that individual should be tolerated in Malta as well. Variations of this comment have been said by HR individuals when brought to their attention.

General Harassment - Treatment like you are no value add to the company, demeaning statements, daily meetings set up to brow beat the staff.

HR - No training and enforcement on all of the above.

Attrition - Hard data was sent directly to the VPs a year ago about department attrition rates, up to 60% within one year. Nothing was done. The engineers now are inexperienced, fresh out of college, and/or new to the field. Some engineers like this is good but not when it makes up more than 70% of departments. Skilled, experienced talent is lacking.

Compensation - Three years ago was about average. Now have fallen well below average due to less than inflation/zero dollar raises year over year.

Town Hall Meetings - Meaningless, the same thing is said but nothing that will help this company actually changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe keep changing our coat thinking it will make us look better. Let's change our body and the coats will naturally look better.

It is as bad as it seems

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHas potential to be a good place to work

ConsIt is simply not. Worst organizational health of any company out there. Misaligned leadership in Malta up and down the organization. Silos, factions, turf wars, low morale, attrition.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat can you say to this - will they replace themselves?????

New-ish Company Making Strides to Be the Best-with Some Growing Pains

Process Technician (Current Employee)
Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for less than a year

ProsSmart colleagues, days off if you work shift hours, bonuses, being on the ground floor of a startup, room to grow

ConsShift work falling on holidays-you gotta work them or use time off that may not be approved, disconnect between engineers planning and technicians executing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be better training for new engineers and technicians. Yes, having them shadow is good but the pace is too fast to explain actions taken. Classes need to happen for a good month before new hires hit the floor in my opinion-that way they know WHY they are doing something and how to handle common issues or have some clue before being in tense situations where major mistakes can happen in real time. Insurance companies do it this way with new hires being in training for a while before going live....you don't have the staff to do this? Well, you need to hire more now, not try and do more with what few people you have. The PEOPLE are your biggest strength so act like it and GET MORE PEOPLE in here and try and standardize how the shifts work across the board as far as duties are concerned-there is too much variance and not enough consistency because everyone is too arrogant to admit their way is not the most efficient way. So, hire more, standardize processes from the top down, have more casual end-of-shift meetings with some pizza or something so folks feel like they are part of a team, and nail down a promotion ladder.

Possibly one of THE worst companies i had misfortune to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice new multi million HQ building in Santa Clara
Free Pete's Coffee
Multicultural work environment
Number of super nice people
Total chaos allowing for easy hiding

ConsAs it has been said MANY times before here on Glassdoor - Management IS the problem. Or rather lack of thereof. It's almost (Or perhaps maybe exactly so) if they hire people on the favor basis to collect paycheck and do very little.
In a number of years i had been with this company i had seen absolute minimal if ANY improvement.

People in EVERY department keep saying same thing - How unhappy they are with the way things are done. Sure, those might be different things but the "Song" is always same. Yet, higher management is oblivious.

I have not seen any one person who is not a VP to get a real promotion. Sure very few people moved to like a Team Lead but i have not seen anyone to get promoted in a true sense. Unless they already have VP or above title, they had have a few of those promoted to SR or Executive VP, yes. But yet not a single person on my team had a promotion. Actually, in all the years being there my job functions did not change at all and i had been doing exactly same (Often totally pointless as at the end no one cared) things as i was when started with absolutely no outlook at moving up. Career? I do not think so! Just a job.

And speaking of a job. Do you like to work in a sweat-shop? In a place with no moral values? Company that cares none for you? Where there are no policies and person who can whine louder gets what they want? Organization where unless someone above you says same thing you might be saying for years, no one even notices? Corporation that is so riddled with "Power Silos" and "Information Blackholes" that simplest thing can easily turn into huge disaster, and none still care as long as there is a way to point to someone else? Enjoy a place where others you depend on for YOUR success do very little or procrastinate to the absolute last second and no argument you bring up seems to register? Where management is so unqualified that only other, higher up, management that is evidently "Blind" could possibly bring them onboard? Well, if so than apply to work at GF and best of luck. Yet in words of great Mr.T - "I pitty the fool!"

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to TRUE owners of GF from the Arabian Peninsula - Cut costs in ANY way possible and dump.

ABSOLUTE IDIOTS IN CHARGE. STAY FAR AWAY.

Senior Technician (Former Employee)
Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than a year

ProsThe techs and select engineers. Pay is decent, but that is about it.
It is easy to leave there with a smile on your face and your finger in the air.

ConsPick an area. Management are spineless with no integrity, HR is WORTHLESS and so are 98% of the game playing engineers. The whole organization is only a bunch of arrogant numb nuts that do nothing but wait for their turn to talk, don't listen and make dumb rules to be making them just to point out they made something. I was literally told that a 6mo out of college engineer that knows nothing is more important and useful than Principle techs with 20+ years experience. The engineers that are there steal ideas and try to detract from their ignorance my playing stupid games. I worked there 2 years and aside from meeting a few great people the rest of the place is crap. It is like they bought a 11billion dollar car and put a bunch of blind, deaf, teenagers behind the wheel without installing brakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementEAD and hope you don't get fired when they are bought out because that is the only way GF will survive, If someone with sense buys it out.

Danger, avoid at all cost, do not come here unless you are desperate for a job. You will regret it.

Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time for more than a year

ProsNew tools, but not too many other positive aspects.

ConsManagement has a terminal case of cranial rectal inversion. Far too many managers to front line personel. The people empowered to make decisions do not have a clue, and the people who do have experience are powerless to make a change. This place is a mess, there is little hope for sucess, but as long as Abu Dhabi writes the checks, these leaches will cash them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new job, you people have no clue how to do you current jobs. This place will fail, and it will be your fault.

Absolute worst place I have ever worked.

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

ProsSome decent work experience. I gained many friends over my time at global.

ConsManagement is top heavy and most are arrogant people with their own personal agendas. HUMAN resources is an absolute joke. The most worthless group of unsupportive, scared-of-management, spineless people ever assembled. I've had a few friends call me about getting a job there and I've told EVERY single one to not even attempt it. Every place preaches about "culture and values". Yeah, their culture and values is a bunch of hypocritical bullcrap. I hope the place fails catastrophically. Karmas a female dog..

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new job, you suck at this one.

Challenging

ProsLots of opportunity, Ambitious goals

ConsUnrealistic expectations, trying to do too much with too little

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your people to succeed

Incompetence at all levels

Milpitas, CA

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

ProsGood compensation and opportunity to rise (does not take much to be a Director here)

ConsNo senior management vision, and personality. Fiefdoms and turf wars result in replication of work. Huge investment of resources just to please the investors through pretty presentations from McK with flawed strategy. Top heavy management (count number of VPs, Sr. Directors and Directors) - very few ground workers.
Worst IT department anyone can imagine. HR couldn't care less. No meritocracy. Investor does not trust senior management and interferes continuously in operations.
Dark future unless CEO (Sanjay) can pull a trick.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed ground level workers not snooty middle management. Protect your employees from widespread politics in the company else top talent continue to run towards the door.

Worked for GLOBALFOUNDRIES? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GLOBALFOUNDRIES reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GLOBALFOUNDRIES CEO Sanjay K. Jha. All 268 reviews posted anonymously by GLOBALFOUNDRIES employees.