GLOBALFOUNDRIES
www.globalfoundries.com Milpitas, CA 5000+ Employees

GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Sanjay K. Jha

Pros:
  • "Another good thing is, new desk and builidings so you can have clean work environment"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Less pressure, relatively good work-life balance"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Zero work life balance for some, while others can leave on time --> Work not distributed fairly"
    in 19 reviews
  • "I haven't even met my upper management and I have been employed with them for over a year"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hard to get things done

Projects (Current Employee)
    Malta, NY

ProsDecent pay, Talented staff, surrounding community in NY is very nice. Company has a bright future, talented sustaining workforce with a patient investor that knows this will work.

ConsIve been here for just over two years as a contract worker.

The worklife balance is terrible for both contract and direct employees. 50-60hr workweeks have become the standard with weekends off out of the question

Some in Upper management are constantly finding ways to screw each other over and show they are top dog, while others seem to be just trying to get things done constantly needing to devote time to watching their back. Imagine what could be done without that fear.

Project management is a joke. Billions on the line and the constant blame is on the inept contractor, third party or even fourth party project engineers/managers or even the GM/CEO (behind their backs). Zero accountability from management while late and over budget. When things go wrong just bring in another contract management group to manage the last ones instead of giving clear direction. Probably because they have no idea how to manage a project and its starting to show. This is very frustrating and demoralizing.

Everything appears to be a reaction without time to actually plan or think. Just do and then redo. This all costs money and time.

Although not part of it, the rating and reviews have just happened for the direct staff. Cant believe you are still using a forced ranking and rating. That went away for most companies years ago because there was almost no better way to demoralize your team. I bring this up because Im tired of hearing about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your devoted team. Looks like they have been here for 20years working hard while in reality its only been 4-5max.with contract workers being here even less. The standing joke is that this place ages you in dog years.

Stop reacting to everything with the same sense of urgency. Project Management 101 says prioritize and plan.

Stand back and look at whos playing you and who is actually working. Beware of the silver tongued one.

Might be worth taking a look at HR. Must have no power because I know bad things have happened with little to no consequences and then being joked about after. Probably back to the slippery silver tongue.

Unless there are future projects, my job will be done in a year here and Ill be back to constant sun, year around golf and warm weather. Unless the new management changes how things are done, they will be back to wherever they are from also. I like the winter, so please turn things around.

More political, less technological

Principal Engineer Process Engineering (Current Employee)
    Malta, NY

ProsAs a start up fab, people get to learn a lot of new stuff, which are not available in already established companies.
    Many techs and junior engineers are great to work with. New fab-GM has started some fresh and +ve initiatives.

Cons1. Many of the senior folks are non-contributing; the company is like a big government to them handing out big welfare check. They do not participate in engineering activities and are unable to mentor junior folks.
    2. Horrible work life balance for people who actually contribute. They are judged with unrealistic expectation and are publicly humiliated for not being able to deliver. The non-contributing senior folks are enjoying their life.
    3. Floor-and-mid level managers are inept, do not understand technology. That means, they do not know if the engineering work you do is important or not. They do not value hard work needed to actually develop technology. All they care is how to save their own back in the daily operation meeting, which is purely a political showdown.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit a fresh batch of mid/floor level managers. Put people first.

Slow & Painful

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Malta, NY

ProsComparatively high pay vs other ENG jobs in the area

ConsAlways playing second Fiddle to your major competitor

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Looking for process

Technical Writer (Former Employee)

ProsEverything's new. Technology's fascinating. Lots to do

ConsUpper management seem to have no idea where the company's going or how to manage people effectively to get there.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that you have good staff, and trust them. Determine a real global strategy, rather than be reactive. There's a tremendous potential competitive advantage in having such a range of production capabilities, but the 'every fab for itself' ethos fumbles that advantage away. A unified, coherent set of processes would improve the business significantly

Things are looking better - Smart Officers put into top positions.

Malta, NY

ProsBusiness is gaining momentum, teams are working together and across the aisle now. Looking forward to company, career and financial successes w/the new Leadership.

ConsFeeling the personal financial impact (low raises) of the poor performance by the company last year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe top and bottom of the organization are looking great. The middle management still needs a bit more professional skills tweaking (already being scheduled).

Falls Short of Expectations

Equipment Engineer (Former Employee)
    Malta, NY

ProsDecent salary and benefits.
    Teamwork is good depending on the shift or shifts that you may need to encounter.

ConsPoor management
    Horrid Communication
    Lack of documentation and equipment/process controls
    No accountability for actions both positive or negatative. When something goes wrong it's easy to point fingers, or have the finger pointed at you. When something goes right, good luck getting credited for your work. Management or someone above you will gladly take credit.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your technical staff and engineers work. Practice more of a hands-off management style. I've seen too many decisions skewed in the wrong direction due to management's decisions. Have faith in the people you brought on board.

I feel unstable

Senior Technology and Integration Engineer (Current Employee)
    Ballston Spa, NY

ProsHigh salary compared to other companies nearby

ConsToo much change of direction, mismanagement

Advice to Senior ManagementEven if it doesn't look like your vision, please consistent. It helps employees. Management doesn't care moral or emotion of lower level employees.

Corporate world mayhem

Process Technician (Current Employee)
    Malta, NY

ProsHiring new people, a lot of job openings

ConsBusiness is still in start up

Low pay but very good work life balance

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

Prosvery good work life balance
    amazing atmosphere for Indians.

Conslow pay, very low bonuses,

Advice to Senior ManagementMANAGEMENT DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SAY NO - single most reason this company is in dire straits
    If New CEO Sanjay cant wield some magic wand and do something its going to be very difficult.

Such a Massive Disappointment

Malta, NY

ProsMost of the "working" people are great!
    Benefits are good.

ConsNO career path at all.
    Need new HR leadership. Get qualified people that we can trust!!!
    Stop hiring Directors and VPs!
    Too many technically trained people and not enough management trained people. Just because someone has the technical skill, that does not make them a manager!! Management alone is a skill and more than half of all managers have never taken one management course.....insane!
    Stop hiring people you don't need and use the people you have...you have sooooo many people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know this is like asking a monkey to stop eating bananas...but...the Company is way too top heavy...I have never seen so many Directors, Sr. Directors, SVP this, EVP that...it is crazy. And the salaries of all these people are completely OUT OF CONTROL. You want some cost-cutting measures? You want us to believe you care about the health of the company?....How about Director level and above take a pay cut or give up your bonuses? That would be a good first step in helping everyone else believe that you might actually care about the company and are not just riding the big pay day for as long as it lasts. Because from our view point...that is exactly what you are all doing. Yeah...thought so...we are right.

Worked for GLOBALFOUNDRIES? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GLOBALFOUNDRIES reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GLOBALFOUNDRIES CEO Sanjay K. Jha. All 334 reviews posted anonymously by GLOBALFOUNDRIES employees.