GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
473 reviews filtered by
2.2
Sanjay K. Jha

Pros
  • Work life balance, a lot of choice of activity to participate if you are interested (in 13 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, transport provided, work is not difficult (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible work life balance for people who actually contribute (in 25 reviews)

• I haven't even met my upper management and I have been employed with them for over a year (in 23 reviews)

Great people but different locations didn't work together and some management bullied people openly.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great chance to get in on the creation of a new fab and learn new technologies.
    They have a lot of training you can do on different areas.
    Most of the people were really nice and smart and willing to teach you.
    On-site Toastmasters group - great speaking practice and some really nice people.

Cons

Constant passive/aggressive fighting between Malta, Dresden and Singapore. Very little cooperation.
    Multiple large meetings where upper management told people they weren't working hard enough when people were already doing long hours and trying to work smart. Didn't own up to problems on management side.
    Saw people outright bullied by some managers - yelled at, put down - in front of others. HR knew and did nothing.
    Actual desks are really small (4x6) cubes with 4 ft walls on 3 sides in huge rows. Very noisy. Rigid rules about things on desk - get written up. If forget to lock laptop, it is taken and you are written up.
    Meetings at 7 a.m. were common to work with Dresden but expected to stay until 5 or later.

Stop the bullying. It isn't professional.
    Decide that either the fabs are independent and don't need to work together or make it happen from the top down through both sides. Otherwise, some people get stuck with goals to do it and no support.

2. Good exposure to cutting-edge technologies

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Engineer
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Engineer

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Good team environment and opportunities to learn

Cons

Frequent changes to the projects

Management is going in the right direction since change in CEO

Opportunities for the right person

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some good training programs for new college graduates and other people with little work experience. If you are a high performer you can go far in the company as long as you play by their rules.

Cons

They grade on a curve so if you are on a team of all high performers, someone will have to be rated low even if they outperform someone on another team who gets a high rating.

Get rid of using a curve for performance management. Employees should be rated against their job title, not the rest of their team. Don't lower other people's rating just so that someone else can be promoted.

5. GF

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Great place to work

Cons

Still working the bugs out on efficienty and effectiveness of employees

clear roles and responsibilities

Frustrating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Modern office environment
    - No shortage of work to be done
    - Diverse workforce

Cons

- Silos all over the place. Little cross-functional coordination in the absence of very senior management forcing the issue. Even senior management can struggle to foster cooperation.
    - Many owners lack broad awareness of what is needed in their areas of responsibility
    - Highly political career path : little scope for progress purely on technical grounds.
    - More work than available resource.
    - Little to no recognition, so limited opportunity for progression in career unless well-connected.
    - Ranking system rewards those who don't rock the boat.
    - Chaotic

- Replace the destructive rating system - it doesn't reward the behaviors defined in the company culture statement.
    - Cease shooting the messengers, listen to the message. Abide by the company culture statement : it applies to all.
    - Properly resource activities (headcount, tools). Burning out engineers causes huge damage across the board
    - Invest in training junior engineers, not just "sink or swim".
    - Promote based on technical ability, not politics.
    - It's a technical environment, learn to deal with that.
    - A company's culture shouldn't be negotiable at the first sign of inconvenience

7. There are a lot of benefits for working for a newer company but also a lot of negative aspects.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is opportunity for growth.
    There are new opportunities.

Cons

There are lots of managerial changes, causing unhappy work atmosphere.
    There are a lot of "viruses", people who are clearly not happy working there which leads to multiple people giving off the same outlook.
    There is not enough time in the day to fix the issues many people are giving out which sometimes causes frustration and anger.

Bad management and unclear development direction

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

big company, benefits, ok sickness off

Cons

long working hours, on call duties, very bad management and non sense meeting

Lot's of challenges and lot's of potential. Dynamic place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is tremendous upside to this company, lots of market potential, tons of work. Not a place to go if you want to sit on your butt and do nothing. It's still a start-up so there's a lot of work to do and they're still hiring a lot of people to help do it. I have a lot of flexibility to tackle the work and challenges I see. Strong investor support.

Cons

There is a lot of work and it can be stressful, but that's what it's like at a start up. It can be difficult for folks that aren't used to working hard. Some processes and procedures still need to be established or improved on, but it's exciting to get to be a part of that. If you want an established company where you work in your rut and don't go outside the lines, don't come here! They have to hire so many new people that the turnover is higher than at an established company.

Be more consistent with direction and strategy. Continuous changes in leadership, and the direction & strategy can undermine confidence.

Grading on the Curve

Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fab 8 looks nice, even in the snow. Top drawer equipment and a nice environment. Co-workers are dedicated although the quality of the workforce has declined in the past 2 years.

Cons

Operationally the Fab has serious issues. There is an " I know best" attitude that permeates every interaction with the new top management. Openness, candor, transparency & listening are not key aspects of our culture. "Telling the truth, even when it is hard" will get fired. Shut up and get with the program is more like it.

Management's attitude is best demonstrated during Performance Management time. I just finished the calibration session for my group, and like I expected, we were all required to lower our ratings. I get taking a look at ratings to make sure we are being fair and that the overall trend equals the team's performance. But I was told that I must have a specific number of employees who get unsatisfactory ratings, regardless of how they actually performed and the feedback I have been giving them all year. Management had determined that they were losers.

HR's performance strategy is to make sure we have the right number of losers to satisfy management. It is so backwards. Although managers and employees alike have asked over & over for a change, our input is soundly ignored.

Management knows best.

Listen, you are not always the smartest guy in the room.

Good-intentioned vision by AMD resulted in nightmare at Globalfoundries

Former Employee - Senior Management in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Multi-national workforce, tasty (but over-priced) cafeteria menu, Upstate NY is beautiful during nice weather months and great during winter if you like to Ski.

Cons

Where to begin? [Here comes the wall of text!]

I left quite a while ago and waited until my resentment and exasperation had subsided before posting on Glassdoor. In reality, AMD/GF provided some great opportunities and experiences. I met some lifelong friends there. Then came the current Globalfoundries' mentality. GF was supposed to be "all the good stuff from AMD, but even better!" It has been an opportunity that has been completely squandered across what averages to a new CEO per year. A recipe for disaster from a leadership perspective. And 5 years later it still hasn't defined itself or decided what it wants to be and how it will get there.

First, this area of the country is so union-dominated that the profit potential of the Fab8 site is virtually zero for the next several years - if it ever succeeds at all. It is absolutely mind-boggling how much a simple task costs the company when done by union versus non-union. The exact same task by union folks, that could also be done non-union folks, costs between 3x and 10x what non-union projects cost! And we're talking a scale of Billions of dollars here. You do the math! Hey, I get it, it probably is nice to work in unions, but it is astronomically more expensive for the client, in a low-margin/high-investment business, with quality that almost never surpasses non-union labor outcomes. What is the benefit to the client? There really is none. It's bullying and intimidation, a lack of competition, inflated rates, and part of the package AMD/GF signed up for in order to get tax breaks and incentives to move to Malta. Way to think ahead, GF! It's purely a racket and most thinking people that are capable of being honest with themselves know this. And it is a primary factor for what I believe will result in a high-potential, but zero-profit company that will no doubt be sold in the mid or long term anyway.

Second comes the Human Resources team. This HR group is FAR too overreaching and is easily the most self-centered, self-aggrandizing group of management boot-kissers I have ever encountered in my 50 years. They involve themselves in so many operational decisions, without the technical experience, skill-set, or perspective to be anything less than utterly disruptive. Their inane excuses, processes, and procedures don't add up and they ooze a thinly-veiled contempt for the average employee. Just look at how many people on Glassdoor have called out Human Resources DIRECTLY as a major, insurmountable obstacle to success, not only for individuals, but for the company in its entirety. In a token manner, they solicit feedback that they ignore or, worse yet, turn around to bludgeon the masses with. They seem to actually believe most employees are so unintelligent that they don’t see what HR is doing. I guess employees are not smart enough or capable enough of understanding just how important HR is, at least in HR's mind. If that were the case, why have so many senior and talented individuals left the company? HR's attitude that they are doing the employees all a favor by 'allowing' them to work there is laughable and insulting. Let’s talk talent and performance assessments and reviews. GF's employee performance system is terrible. Just because Microsoft used to evaluate people this way does NOT mean it is effective or ethical. You have stellar performers being knocked down to a '1' or '2' simply because the bell curve demands that someone be at the bottom. HR, have you told your employees that the model you built your employee performance appraisals on was the model Microsoft used for 20 years and that Microsoft disbanded and discontinued this concept over a year ago because it was deemed unfair and outdated? Read Josh Bersin’s piece in Forbes on 2/19/2014 and you’ll understand why. He writes, and rightly so: “Research shows that this statistical model [Bell Curve], while easy to understand, does not accurately reflect the way people perform. As a result, HR departments and business leaders inadvertently create agonizing problems with employee performance and happiness.” So what does GF do? Uses this model exclusively. Classic GF! It has heavily contributed to GF’s loss of many, many other seasoned professionals in the last 5 years who refused to stay in an environment where luck, favoritism, and outdated performance models=‘high performance’. HR, you're a MASSIVE part of the problem. Get out of the way. Get re-trained. Re-educate yourselves for real-world HR application. Get re-staffed. Don't fool yourselves into thinking you've been right, fair, just, or a positive force for long term GF success. And above all, GET OVER YOURSELVES and quit being adversarial to the employees. You’re the least trusted group in the entire entity for a reason.

Third is Sr. Management. It's easy to dismiss so many comments here as coming from pettiness or spite. But look at the sheer numbers of people repeating the same story. Favoritism. Bullying. Intimidation. Disrespect. Refusal to bridge the culture and operations gaps between Germany, USA, and Singapore. Lack of caring about this or any of the 200 comments on Glassdoor. It's all right in front of their eyes. ATIC/Mubadala may very well be refusing to allow the management to make changes, increase salaries, increase respect...I honestly don't know. But if that is the case, at least be honest. At least be transparent. This wouldn't be the first group of managers that are beholden to investors and shareholders to the point they tossed out ethics and respect for others in an attempt to "get while the gettin's good”.

Lastly is management's ever-present apathy to make hard decisions that effect positive change. Oh, they talk a great game. But everyone is out to preserve themselves and that is the only transparent scenario you'll find at GF. Management out of greed or ambition. Middle-management out of frustration. Rank and file out of fear and survival instincts during a lack-luster economy, with a high cost of living, in the second highest taxing state in the U.S. When the CFO speaks to 150 managers about austerity measures and cost-cutting, then walks outside of the Cafeteria into a chauffeured limo (we all saw this), it doesn’t ring true that they care. When travel budgets are slashed, benefits restructured, new employee requisitions canceled (or stolen by other managers), and employees are asked to dig deeper for savings, but when the Sr. Management team goes on a multi-day “team building” exercise at an expensive resort. It doesn’t ring true.

GF, you’ll always breed contempt and disappointment with your lack of transparency, half-truths, refusal to heed known concepts of Organizational Psychology, failure to take your own medicine, placing too much power in your HR group, lack of cajones to stand up to your investors to get for the employees what they deserve, and on and on and on. But it really and truly is not too late to turn the ship around if ATIC will allow you to make tough decisions for the company, but right ones for the employee. In essence, employee satisfaction and loyalty can serve up success to you on a silver platter. Otherwise, it's gonna be gristle in a bowl for another 5 years.

I wish you all the very best of luck in trying to get profitable and stay that way. But even more, I wish Management at GF would read stories and statements such as mine and so many others - and ACT on it in a positive manner! Please don’t try to scratch your heads and claim you didn’t know things were this bad, as profitability never arrives and things cave in on themselves. Seriously. You (should) know better.

It's all above. The first step to solving your problem is admitting you have one. The next step is be willing to do something positive about it. If you can't make it that far in the discussion, well...