GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.1

Sanjay K. Jha

Pros
  • Work life balance, a lot of choice of activity to participate if you are interested (in 13 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, transport provided, work is not difficult (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible work life balance for people who actually contribute (in 25 reviews)

• I haven't even met my upper management and I have been employed with them for over a year (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Bright future but unsustainable work load.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of room for career growth.
    Highly qualified engineering workforce creates a good environment for learning and innovation.
    Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Poor US location. Weather is too cold and very high taxes.
    Unsustainable workload and poor work/ life balance.
    Losing good people due to burnout.

Find a way to compete in this tough business without burning out employees. Include families in reward celebrations since they paid a high price for the success.

Undesireable

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

people, cafeteria, laptop policy, they offer MVP insurance!. that is literally all of the pros i can think of

Cons

public humiliation is a motivational tool frequented by managers
    fire fighting with no long term strategy is the norm
    females rarely see promotions
    HR meetings are frequented by average employees seeking support but are unable to implement change
    expected to come in on off days >1/week for meetings (shift schedule gets 3-4 days weekends)
    little to no employee appreciation (not even a holiday card, not to mention party)

learn to be humane.

From bad to worst

Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Health benefits, cafeteria, new office facilities, reasonable compensation, global talents

Cons

Favourism and discrimination are the norm here. If you are from former AMD, Chartered, Samsung or NXP, you have no future here. The new GM has replaced the entire middle to high management team with folks from down south NY. The new team is far less competitive and lack of high volume manufacturing experience. The fab performance is from bad to worst since the new team took over 6 months ago.
     The new AME team is clueless about the competition out there. The process and tool performance is way below industrial benchmark even the fab has the most advance equipment fleet. The yield improvement and tool release continued to delay. And the management always have good stories to tell.
    The manufacturing ops has slightly improved since the top guy left. However, the culture of sandbagging and credit-stolen from others remained.
    The promotion here is a joke. As long as you are closed to the new GM or from IBM, you can be promoted anytime even you just joined the company less than 6 months.

Treat every employee the same irregardless their background and culture. Read the employee feedback in Glassdoor. These are true reviews that reflect employee's feeling towards the company and leadership performance.

Just left

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tons of opportunity. Great people. New site GM in Malta seems to "get it" and is focusing on the right things. Best cafeteria I've ever had. :)

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Nearly impossible to succeed. Everyone is spread so thin on so many things that it is difficult to hit performance metrics. Prioritization discussions are schizophrenic at best.

Too much change creates unmanageable risk.

Need to find ways to manage alignment of customer requirements to process and tool set that allows the team to execute on a plan that is stable for more than a few months. This is a real challenge given the market position.

Looks Not much future in New York

Current Employee - SMTS Process Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - SMTS Process Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work environment, relaxed culture, good relationship with peer groups

Cons

Strange culture, not much respect others,
    Unfair, Dark & shaded promotion system by managers preference induced from sex, race, color, religion, gender, national origin ...

Managers to be more diligent to assign the engineer to proper position and review engineer’s work
    Directors and above, must encourage engineers instead of chasing; but chase and encourage managers
    Let’s not selfish; Sacrifice little bit more and Respect Individuals could lead us to success

Lost Cause

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New factory that looks good
    Average pay and slightly above average benefits- nothing great
    A long list of great coworkers now at other places

Cons

This is an incompetent organization. There are no real and significant advances at Fab 8. No technology breakthroughs, no operational excellence, no change in culture and no change in HR and the way people are treated. Simply put, the company has no competitive edge for customers or potential new talent. We get the leftovers in both areas.
    and here is punch line... with so much at stake and so many issues to fix the new GM's answer is mandatory EQ training for everybody. You may think I am kidding, but sadly I am not.
    Incompetence is our way

The new leadership isn't open to opposite points of view. There is a real need for them to be the smartest people in the room. So I don't think I can give advice, it won't make any difference

My motivation: 45 cent raises year after year

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits,
    MVP health ins
    Not really much else
    20 word minimum

Cons

Review process that's designed to stifle career advancement

Lack of competent middle management has created a A culture of mediocrity and "getting by" due to the review system. One person that does the supervisors job for him gets a 5 and it smothers the rest who are all awarded 3's and the .45 cent raises that come with it year after year regardless of their contributions.

Understaffed with the cheapest talent available

No pay structure, no rhyme or reason to who gets paid what other than what your last company paid you.

Waste $ on new talent, no $ to retain good battle tested talent

1 time salary-title adjustment is in order to turn the morale around in this company

GLOBALFOUNDRIES is a sinking ship that is not yet sunk only because our Eng. have grown proficient at scooping water

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great starter company for those who are eager to get their hands dirty. If you can survive here for a year, you're a veteran.
    Initial compensation is surprisingly decent and is higher than many similar positions. However, GloFo's review system prevents everyone from receiving the bonuses they deserve post-hire.
    Malta is equidistant to happier places - Boston, NYC, Montreal to name a few. Saratoga Springs is also 20 minutes away on the Northway.

Cons

The primary cause of grief comes directly from top-down. GloFo Malta is a 3 year old site trying to compete with the big boys. As a result, we're operating at a faster speed than we can handle. There is an inherent false sense of urgency that comes with corporate projects. The engineers are very well aware that we cannot develop the next technology with the allocated time, yet are nevertheless forced to work towards an impossible goal.
    Consequently, work/life balance is skewed. Most engineers are thus forced to work seven days a week and be "on-call" for the remainder.
    Given the youth of the company, many of the mid level managers are former employees of another company within the industry. A great deal too many will hold firm to his or her own past workings and believe only in self-judgment. almost outright refusing to accept current facts from their engineers.
    Higher management refuses to take responsibility for failures to the end-customer and rather prefers to play the blame game against their own employees. Overall, it leads to one big, collective, political mess.
    Upper management claims to be results and data driven yet ignores the data engineers put in front of them.
    There is a great waste of engineering talent. Much of the output of the part of the job that requires any means of engineering is often not utilized, either due to negative results (management only reports the half-truth to customers) or irrelevancy (because the situation has changed since).
    Following the above point, because the company "prioritizes" everything simultaneously, the integrated process changes daily. There is no sense of norm or control. It is not possible for the engineers to try to resolve a problem if the very circumstances of which the problem resides is subjected to constant change.

I really wish there is something we can do. Yet we know that as long as our investors continue to burn money on GLOBALFOUNDRIES, we'll continue down this ungainly path with no success in sight. The problem here is that we have no corporate focus and no one in the upper echelons to try to change it. We need to slow down, even if the end-customer objects, fix the most immediate killer issues before tackling others. At the end of the day, we may have even saved time and resources with a piecemeal approach. Until we do that, there is no hope.

Lost

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, and salary. Nice cafeteria.

Cons

Extremely bad work/life balance- over 20+ hours week overtime is normal.
    Management continually rewards each other for a good job, based on the work of all others below.
    Decisions are to reach goal regardless to impact on people, safety, equipment.
    HR is powerless, total disrespect to US employment laws- they're too busy hiring new people to replace the ones leaving.

Not a company to recommend, probably growing pain

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Benefit is good. work life balance not good for most people.

Cons

It has some many politics and within the company, learning and growing is so hard. Poor managment

Care about employees and be good manager instead of pushing, pushing, ...