GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
474 reviews filtered by
2.2
Sanjay K. Jha

Pros
  • Work life balance, a lot of choice of activity to participate if you are interested (in 13 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, transport provided, work is not difficult (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible work life balance for people who actually contribute (in 25 reviews)

• I haven't even met my upper management and I have been employed with them for over a year (in 23 reviews)

1. Difficult to get past the low morale

Current Employee - Equipment Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Equipment Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Still a new company and site, possibility of movement is very high

Cons

Still new company and site, not many people really know what they are doing. Many layers of management are not effective

Recognize individuals who perform above and beyond. Empower those who are willing to work harder than the group

2. Good exposure to cutting-edge technologies

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Engineer
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Engineer

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Good team environment and opportunities to learn

Cons

Frequent changes to the projects

Management is going in the right direction since change in CEO

Great people but different locations didn't work together and some management bullied people openly.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great chance to get in on the creation of a new fab and learn new technologies.
    They have a lot of training you can do on different areas.
    Most of the people were really nice and smart and willing to teach you.
    On-site Toastmasters group - great speaking practice and some really nice people.

Cons

Constant passive/aggressive fighting between Malta, Dresden and Singapore. Very little cooperation.
    Multiple large meetings where upper management told people they weren't working hard enough when people were already doing long hours and trying to work smart. Didn't own up to problems on management side.
    Saw people outright bullied by some managers - yelled at, put down - in front of others. HR knew and did nothing.
    Actual desks are really small (4x6) cubes with 4 ft walls on 3 sides in huge rows. Very noisy. Rigid rules about things on desk - get written up. If forget to lock laptop, it is taken and you are written up.
    Meetings at 7 a.m. were common to work with Dresden but expected to stay until 5 or later.

Stop the bullying. It isn't professional.
    Decide that either the fabs are independent and don't need to work together or make it happen from the top down through both sides. Otherwise, some people get stuck with goals to do it and no support.

Opportunities for the right person

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some good training programs for new college graduates and other people with little work experience. If you are a high performer you can go far in the company as long as you play by their rules.

Cons

They grade on a curve so if you are on a team of all high performers, someone will have to be rated low even if they outperform someone on another team who gets a high rating.

Get rid of using a curve for performance management. Employees should be rated against their job title, not the rest of their team. Don't lower other people's rating just so that someone else can be promoted.

Frustrating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Modern office environment
    - No shortage of work to be done
    - Diverse workforce

Cons

- Silos all over the place. Little cross-functional coordination in the absence of very senior management forcing the issue. Even senior management can struggle to foster cooperation.
    - Many owners lack broad awareness of what is needed in their areas of responsibility
    - Highly political career path : little scope for progress purely on technical grounds.
    - More work than available resource.
    - Little to no recognition, so limited opportunity for progression in career unless well-connected.
    - Ranking system rewards those who don't rock the boat.
    - Chaotic

- Replace the destructive rating system - it doesn't reward the behaviors defined in the company culture statement.
    - Cease shooting the messengers, listen to the message. Abide by the company culture statement : it applies to all.
    - Properly resource activities (headcount, tools). Burning out engineers causes huge damage across the board
    - Invest in training junior engineers, not just "sink or swim".
    - Promote based on technical ability, not politics.
    - It's a technical environment, learn to deal with that.
    - A company's culture shouldn't be negotiable at the first sign of inconvenience

7. GF

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Great place to work

Cons

Still working the bugs out on efficienty and effectiveness of employees

clear roles and responsibilities

8. There are a lot of benefits for working for a newer company but also a lot of negative aspects.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is opportunity for growth.
    There are new opportunities.

Cons

There are lots of managerial changes, causing unhappy work atmosphere.
    There are a lot of "viruses", people who are clearly not happy working there which leads to multiple people giving off the same outlook.
    There is not enough time in the day to fix the issues many people are giving out which sometimes causes frustration and anger.

Bad management and unclear development direction

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

big company, benefits, ok sickness off

Cons

long working hours, on call duties, very bad management and non sense meeting

Lot's of challenges and lot's of potential. Dynamic place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is tremendous upside to this company, lots of market potential, tons of work. Not a place to go if you want to sit on your butt and do nothing. It's still a start-up so there's a lot of work to do and they're still hiring a lot of people to help do it. I have a lot of flexibility to tackle the work and challenges I see. Strong investor support.

Cons

There is a lot of work and it can be stressful, but that's what it's like at a start up. It can be difficult for folks that aren't used to working hard. Some processes and procedures still need to be established or improved on, but it's exciting to get to be a part of that. If you want an established company where you work in your rut and don't go outside the lines, don't come here! They have to hire so many new people that the turnover is higher than at an established company.

Be more consistent with direction and strategy. Continuous changes in leadership, and the direction & strategy can undermine confidence.

Grading on the Curve

Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fab 8 looks nice, even in the snow. Top drawer equipment and a nice environment. Co-workers are dedicated although the quality of the workforce has declined in the past 2 years.

Cons

Operationally the Fab has serious issues. There is an " I know best" attitude that permeates every interaction with the new top management. Openness, candor, transparency & listening are not key aspects of our culture. "Telling the truth, even when it is hard" will get fired. Shut up and get with the program is more like it.

Management's attitude is best demonstrated during Performance Management time. I just finished the calibration session for my group, and like I expected, we were all required to lower our ratings. I get taking a look at ratings to make sure we are being fair and that the overall trend equals the team's performance. But I was told that I must have a specific number of employees who get unsatisfactory ratings, regardless of how they actually performed and the feedback I have been giving them all year. Management had determined that they were losers.

HR's performance strategy is to make sure we have the right number of losers to satisfy management. It is so backwards. Although managers and employees alike have asked over & over for a change, our input is soundly ignored.

Management knows best.

Listen, you are not always the smartest guy in the room.