GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
486 reviews filtered by

Where Success Comes to Die

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If there were any pros at GF it was the experienced technicians that have long since left.

Cons

I worked at GlobalFoundries for the better part of three years. I met a lot of good people from all cultures and backgrounds and made quite a few friends in my time there. I waited quite a few months to write this review to let the dust settle and reflect on my experiences with this company but sadly my opinion hasn't changed. GF is, without a doubt, the worst company I've ever worked for and talking to current employees things are only getting worse. Here's why:

Management (Quantity is better than Quality?):
    Quite simply there's way too much of it. Senior Mangers, Middle Managers, Shift Managers, etc., etc., etc,. If they added any kind of value to the company then there wouldn't be a problem but when they hide in meetings all day and seemingly exist to torment the employees under them then they're beyond worthless. Basically, they're not around when you need them and when you don't need them they're breathing down your neck. Many seem to have very little experience in the semi-conductor field so they become very defensive and territorial when challenged. Of course, this leads to inter-departmental spats that, if you didn't work here, would be hilarious to watch. While management at GF looks for the solutions to their internal problems wave after wave of good experienced employees have ran, not walked, from the soul-crushing, life-sucking monolith that is GF Malta. If management had simply looked in the mirror rather than looking for blame where it does not exist then maybe they wouldn't have such great employee turnover. Anyone that works here though knows that the "leaders" are useless yes men.

Human Resources (Pretty but Useless):
    HR is a simple concept, if you have a problem at work you take a stroll down to the HR Office to see if it can be resolved. Not at GF! If you have a problem with your manager at GF, and the problem there is always with your manager, and you take your grievance to HR you've now become the target. That "confidential" conversation that you had with your HR rep? Don't worry your manager now knows about it and it will be used in a tag team double smack down assault on you that will make you want to quit or they'll fire you for walking on the grass. HR is not your friend here and they're just another entity, like management, that needs to be gutted from GF. Oh and don't be fooled by the suspiciously short 4 and 5 star reviews posted on this site. They're posted by our wonderful HR department to try and skew the statistics here. They think we don't know but we do.

Union Labor
    On site there's a few thousand of these clowns walking around that we call Union Contractors. They're easy to spot, they're the ones either drinking coffee ot smoking cigarettes and doing zero work. Of course, you have the poor attitude you'd expect these folks to have and it's multiplied exponentially by there huge numbers on site. I understand the concept of having a union for worker protection, blah blah blah but to them GF is just a cash cow they can use to scam the company out of every dollar they can. Their presence would even be tolerated if the quality or their work was half as good as local contractors but it's not. So GF is left with sub standard work at a ridiculously inflated price. Thanks guys!

If you're reading this and you're considering a job at GF my advice to you is don't do it. If you like to be miserable, want a terrible work life balance and wish to experience the bitter taste of failure then by all means put in your resume. If you're a current employee reading this, and I know a lot of you do, get out now before you show up one morning to a pad locked door. Trust me the grass IS greener on the other side.

If you're a competitor reading this then you can relax, you have nothing to worry about from GF. TSMC, Intel, etc, are light years ahead of Global in both product development and quality and employee relations. I've personally witnessed tour after tour of potential customers walk through the plant only to have zero orders placed. Gee I wonder why? If you're a local real estate developer or thinking of opening a business in Malta then you're the ones that need to be worried. If you're banking on GF and it's employees to make you rich then you might want to reevaluate the longevity of this company.

While I was working at GF I heard many analogies in reference to the failure that was occurring there. The one that was said the most was the phrase "Sinking Ship." Being able to look back now I realize that for a ship to sink it has to be out at sea. GlobalFoundries never set sail and so I would describe it as "Burning at the Dock."

Advice to Management

Rent a bus and drive off the nearest cliff.

2. GF

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Great place to work

Cons

Still working the bugs out on efficienty and effectiveness of employees

Advice to Management

clear roles and responsibilities

3. There are a lot of benefits for working for a newer company but also a lot of negative aspects.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is opportunity for growth.
    There are new opportunities.

Cons

There are lots of managerial changes, causing unhappy work atmosphere.
    There are a lot of "viruses", people who are clearly not happy working there which leads to multiple people giving off the same outlook.
    There is not enough time in the day to fix the issues many people are giving out which sometimes causes frustration and anger.

Just like "Office Space "

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to say you make computer chips for a living...
    And interact with big customers and people of various backgrounds...

Cons

In my first year I literally did the work of 3 people (they left) and was told during the performance review that I was a bad employee while receiving no salary increase. So, I started to come to work an hour late frequently and played computer games. I was then told that I was being considered for a promotion! But, at that point I had enough of the place and quit because all my motivation was gone.

Advice to Management

-Think before you make decisions: understand what "consequences" mean
    -Do the "arithmetic" before constantly dumping additional work on employees
    - Stick to your word
    - Don't misinterpret/ misconstrue manufacturing/ engineering principles to an illogical expectation system; read Animal Farm
    -Learn the work that your employees do

Still Failing

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company provides just average pay for most employee, top management's compensation is far more aggressive in case you are thinking of a position at that level.
    Benefits too, are average. However executive travel benefits are very nice. The rest of us get economy seats to Dresden
    For skiers, there is lots and lots of snow, as well as freezing windy weather for half of the year. You will get good use out of your thermal clothes

Cons

This is a company that does not know how to succeed.
    Costs are far, far out of line, but we pay managers bonuses,
    We haven't delivered a new technology yet, but managers get bonuses
    With the exception of Singapore, yield is below industry standard,
    Fab 8 will absolutely be late to full production, but we all got mandatory EQ training
    HR remains worthless,
    We just bought a proven failure of a company, they are suppose to show us how fail more?
    Profitability is no where to be seen. Budget cut madness will begin soon.

Advice to Management

Package this thing up for sale soon so we can get on with our lives

Bad management and unclear development direction

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

big company, benefits, ok sickness off

Cons

long working hours, on call duties, very bad management and non sense meeting

Hard work, no results, political evaluation, lose people

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I don't remember good points. Upstate NY was a good place although the winter is brutal, cafe is good although it's expensive, but those are not company review

Cons

When I look back my days at Fab8, it was a cycle of hard work, no results, political evaluation, and lose good people.

First, you need to work hard even though the assignment is nonsense. Just shut up and do it, don't talk back! is GF way
    Second, it always ended up with disappointing results. Middle management is surprisingly incompetent, they don't know what they are doing...
    Third, you get political performance evaluation. It's nothing to do with work performance, discrimination is everywhere. HR allows to do that....
    Lastly, good engineers leave the company. They left Fab8 with angers and frustrations. The remaining people are new college grads and semi-retired people. you need to work harder and harder and harder.....

Advice to Management

Actually, the great financial support by ATIC stifles Fab8. They keep investing into Fab8 and it keeps impossible operations.... It will continue until ATIC lost all the money

Good-intentioned vision by AMD resulted in nightmare at Globalfoundries

Former Employee - Senior Management in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Multi-national workforce, tasty (but over-priced) cafeteria menu, Upstate NY is beautiful during nice weather months and great during winter if you like to Ski.

Cons

Where to begin? [Here comes the wall of text!]

I left quite a while ago and waited until my resentment and exasperation had subsided before posting on Glassdoor. In reality, AMD/GF provided some great opportunities and experiences. I met some lifelong friends there. Then came the current Globalfoundries' mentality. GF was supposed to be "all the good stuff from AMD, but even better!" It has been an opportunity that has been completely squandered across what averages to a new CEO per year. A recipe for disaster from a leadership perspective. And 5 years later it still hasn't defined itself or decided what it wants to be and how it will get there.

First, this area of the country is so union-dominated that the profit potential of the Fab8 site is virtually zero for the next several years - if it ever succeeds at all. It is absolutely mind-boggling how much a simple task costs the company when done by union versus non-union. The exact same task by union folks, that could also be done non-union folks, costs between 3x and 10x what non-union projects cost! And we're talking a scale of Billions of dollars here. You do the math! Hey, I get it, it probably is nice to work in unions, but it is astronomically more expensive for the client, in a low-margin/high-investment business, with quality that almost never surpasses non-union labor outcomes. What is the benefit to the client? There really is none. It's bullying and intimidation, a lack of competition, inflated rates, and part of the package AMD/GF signed up for in order to get tax breaks and incentives to move to Malta. Way to think ahead, GF! It's purely a racket and most thinking people that are capable of being honest with themselves know this. And it is a primary factor for what I believe will result in a high-potential, but zero-profit company that will no doubt be sold in the mid or long term anyway.

Second comes the Human Resources team. This HR group is FAR too overreaching and is easily the most self-centered, self-aggrandizing group of management boot-kissers I have ever encountered in my 50 years. They involve themselves in so many operational decisions, without the technical experience, skill-set, or perspective to be anything less than utterly disruptive. Their inane excuses, processes, and procedures don't add up and they ooze a thinly-veiled contempt for the average employee. Just look at how many people on Glassdoor have called out Human Resources DIRECTLY as a major, insurmountable obstacle to success, not only for individuals, but for the company in its entirety. In a token manner, they solicit feedback that they ignore or, worse yet, turn around to bludgeon the masses with. They seem to actually believe most employees are so unintelligent that they don’t see what HR is doing. I guess employees are not smart enough or capable enough of understanding just how important HR is, at least in HR's mind. If that were the case, why have so many senior and talented individuals left the company? HR's attitude that they are doing the employees all a favor by 'allowing' them to work there is laughable and insulting. Let’s talk talent and performance assessments and reviews. GF's employee performance system is terrible. Just because Microsoft used to evaluate people this way does NOT mean it is effective or ethical. You have stellar performers being knocked down to a '1' or '2' simply because the bell curve demands that someone be at the bottom. HR, have you told your employees that the model you built your employee performance appraisals on was the model Microsoft used for 20 years and that Microsoft disbanded and discontinued this concept over a year ago because it was deemed unfair and outdated? Read Josh Bersin’s piece in Forbes on 2/19/2014 and you’ll understand why. He writes, and rightly so: “Research shows that this statistical model [Bell Curve], while easy to understand, does not accurately reflect the way people perform. As a result, HR departments and business leaders inadvertently create agonizing problems with employee performance and happiness.” So what does GF do? Uses this model exclusively. Classic GF! It has heavily contributed to GF’s loss of many, many other seasoned professionals in the last 5 years who refused to stay in an environment where luck, favoritism, and outdated performance models=‘high performance’. HR, you're a MASSIVE part of the problem. Get out of the way. Get re-trained. Re-educate yourselves for real-world HR application. Get re-staffed. Don't fool yourselves into thinking you've been right, fair, just, or a positive force for long term GF success. And above all, GET OVER YOURSELVES and quit being adversarial to the employees. You’re the least trusted group in the entire entity for a reason.

Third is Sr. Management. It's easy to dismiss so many comments here as coming from pettiness or spite. But look at the sheer numbers of people repeating the same story. Favoritism. Bullying. Intimidation. Disrespect. Refusal to bridge the culture and operations gaps between Germany, USA, and Singapore. Lack of caring about this or any of the 200 comments on Glassdoor. It's all right in front of their eyes. ATIC/Mubadala may very well be refusing to allow the management to make changes, increase salaries, increase respect...I honestly don't know. But if that is the case, at least be honest. At least be transparent. This wouldn't be the first group of managers that are beholden to investors and shareholders to the point they tossed out ethics and respect for others in an attempt to "get while the gettin's good”.

Lastly is management's ever-present apathy to make hard decisions that effect positive change. Oh, they talk a great game. But everyone is out to preserve themselves and that is the only transparent scenario you'll find at GF. Management out of greed or ambition. Middle-management out of frustration. Rank and file out of fear and survival instincts during a lack-luster economy, with a high cost of living, in the second highest taxing state in the U.S. When the CFO speaks to 150 managers about austerity measures and cost-cutting, then walks outside of the Cafeteria into a chauffeured limo (we all saw this), it doesn’t ring true that they care. When travel budgets are slashed, benefits restructured, new employee requisitions canceled (or stolen by other managers), and employees are asked to dig deeper for savings, but when the Sr. Management team goes on a multi-day “team building” exercise at an expensive resort. It doesn’t ring true.

GF, you’ll always breed contempt and disappointment with your lack of transparency, half-truths, refusal to heed known concepts of Organizational Psychology, failure to take your own medicine, placing too much power in your HR group, lack of cajones to stand up to your investors to get for the employees what they deserve, and on and on and on. But it really and truly is not too late to turn the ship around if ATIC will allow you to make tough decisions for the company, but right ones for the employee. In essence, employee satisfaction and loyalty can serve up success to you on a silver platter. Otherwise, it's gonna be gristle in a bowl for another 5 years.

I wish you all the very best of luck in trying to get profitable and stay that way. But even more, I wish Management at GF would read stories and statements such as mine and so many others - and ACT on it in a positive manner! Please don’t try to scratch your heads and claim you didn’t know things were this bad, as profitability never arrives and things cave in on themselves. Seriously. You (should) know better.

Advice to Management

It's all above. The first step to solving your problem is admitting you have one. The next step is be willing to do something positive about it. If you can't make it that far in the discussion, well...

Lot's of challenges and lot's of potential. Dynamic place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is tremendous upside to this company, lots of market potential, tons of work. Not a place to go if you want to sit on your butt and do nothing. It's still a start-up so there's a lot of work to do and they're still hiring a lot of people to help do it. I have a lot of flexibility to tackle the work and challenges I see. Strong investor support.

Cons

There is a lot of work and it can be stressful, but that's what it's like at a start up. It can be difficult for folks that aren't used to working hard. Some processes and procedures still need to be established or improved on, but it's exciting to get to be a part of that. If you want an established company where you work in your rut and don't go outside the lines, don't come here! They have to hire so many new people that the turnover is higher than at an established company.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent with direction and strategy. Continuous changes in leadership, and the direction & strategy can undermine confidence.

The facts vs the myths

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

There are no good reasons to work for this company they have no good points ethics is something that still needs to find its way over to malta F8. The only possible reason to even consider them would be if you are new to the industry and need to get your feet wet before moving on to a better company.

Cons

Management is made up of every failed semiconductor company out there and a pack from singapore who are under some grand illusion that they can bring the tactics and dishonest management practices to the usa and succed. All the good managers and hard working folks already left this company.

Advice to Management

To be a world class player it takes more than what f8 has it takes your employees to believe in your vision for the future. Tools, fabs, buildings these are in essence worthless unless you have the dedication of minds at work for you. If you were a public company you would be out of buissness very fourtunate you are private in the real world you would be out of bussness.