GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews

Reset

Terrible management

Former Employee - Equipment Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Equipment Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many great people to work with, Great Cafe. Good Salaries and benefits.

Cons

Stupid management from the top to the bottom except few that can't do much. These people come completely from a different culture and experiences, They come from India, Singapore, Indonesia, Etc. That makes it very difficult to work with them, The others are clueless and with not much experience.
    These idiot Arabs keep spending and investing money no matter what even with oil prices down over 50 percent,

Advice to Management

The best advice will be to quit in order to same the company.

Terrible place

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Nice office space, and wonderful tool sets to help improve personal skills. Working with new technologies. Great cafeteria with various option of food.

Cons

Some how working here just simply kills ones morale. If you had a lot of energy prior to coming here, after a while you just give up trying. Not enough parking, lack of diversity and poor execution.

Advice to Management

Managers need to wake up and figure out best ways to motivate their workforce. Otherwise it will be very hard to achieve that success.

Third, and Dropping Like a Rock

Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Public relations does a great job creating a veil between reality and success
    Good co-workers, although they change often
    We do a nice job enriching tool manufacturers.
    We do a great job spending the discretionary income of Emirates

Cons

No longer the 2nd largest foundry, passed by UMC, because we cannot execute on any of the following

1. Persistent failure to deliver on new technologies, too late to capture any market on 20nm. Late on 14nm as well, we will be too slow to capture any significant market here.

2. Failure to solve the biggest obstacle to employee engagement - the forced distribution of performance ratings. Everybody knows this is a problem, but the HR leadership is incompetent to change it.

3. Failure to deliver world class yield, we are not a high performance manufacturer which explains why customers will not form long term relationships

4. Failure to develop a profitable cost model that can sustain the business. Our financing strategy is to rely on the Emirates to fund excesses and failures.This cannot go on for ever, and many think that the Emirates are finished with year-after-year failure.

Advice to Management

I don't think any advice is warranted because it is too late.If for some reason the Emirates bail you out once more, please stop the silly distractions and focus solely on Manufacturing Excellence, Costs and a Technology Roadmap that can be executed.

Vague Project w/ No Mentor

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

The pay was decently high

Cons

I'm a CS major who had no one to refer to. I was surrounded by Engineers whose only programming experience was in VBA. My manager, nice as she was, did not have a clear idea of the project I was supposed to do and no idea of what technologies I was supposed to use. I didn't even know under what context or who would use the project I was supposed to design and implement all by myself in < 10 weeks time.

Advice to Management

CS students aren't magicians. They need customer requirements, mentors, and a team.

Done Deal

Current Employee - Director in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company was founded on an audacious dream to redefine the industry. Many bright, experienced professionals bought into the dream, as did the taxpayers of New York.

Cons

The dream turned out to be a fantasy, and a nightmare.

Leadership has never been able to stabilize this business around a coherent strategy that can be executed. Instead, one group of failed leaders after another have perpetuated a fantasy, lied to investors, employees and taxpayers.

They have put on a show, with fancy buildings, a premier cafeteria, top pay for certain managers and slick public relations, when in reality the company has no stable customers and is miles away from being profitable.

Unlike the past, the Emirates appear unwilling to write a check to keep the fantasy going. Hard times are coming.

Advice to Management

Hopefully you can pull it togethers enough to execute an orderly demise to this business that doesn't unfairly punish employees who stuck it out

Sorry I ever accepted

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

some colleagues are the backbone of this unappreciative culture

Cons

TNC = to numerous to count

Advice to Management

try allowing those you hire to do what you hired them to do.......

Bonus

Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Much the same as the other review, decent creature comforts, decent benefits, nice food court

Cons

The workload is outrageous and unrealistic
    Senior leadership is incompetent, frontline managers just trying to hang on
    HR is in fact a sad bunch

But here is the kicker.. managers were given a "Stay Bonus" to try to stem the rising tide of good people jumping ship. The letter authorizing my bonus said that I was eligible for an additional $30k if I stayed with the company.

Last week that bonus came due, and I got 18% of the amount promised. That is about $700 extra dollars a year to put up with GloFlo crap.

This says it all

Advice to Management

No real advice, based on interaction with top leaders here, it is impossible to get a word in anyway.
    It's all over, just waiting for the lights to get turned out

"A Horrible Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Staff Technician in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Technician in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary's, good café food, nice office equipment.

Cons

GF Malta is a poorly managed company, expect a very hostile working environment where plenty of bullying, discrimination, targeting and intimidation comes from the managers who seem to have very little knowledge of what is actually going on and are more concerned their ego's and with assigning blame for their mistakes to someone else while relying of third hand information to make decisions that usually turn out to be the wrong ones. Money is needlessly wasted in stacks on parts for tools here and the longevity of this company is constantly in question as it's only a matter of time before the deep pocketed investors realize how much they are truly being fleeced and decide to pull out. If you are a current employee reading this DO NOT go to HR for anything, other than to use the water fountain. GF Malta has one of the WORST HR departments I have even seen in any company anywhere, they have zero integrity, they stand right behind the management however wrong they may be and just as with the management they will also certainly be a contributing factor to GF Malta's downfall. They actually post fake reviews on here to try to hide the real truth behind how GF Malta is ran. Those are the 4 and 5 star, two line reviews are the from the HR department. If your looking for something to add to you resume put in yours right now they will hire pretty much anyone and this is a good place to work while you look for another job. That is what most of the employees that have been with GF for more than 6 months are doing. With people leaving in droves for positions they found on their days off. Most people with the required knowledge to make GF Malta successful have already jumped ship.

Advice to Management

If you were serious about seeing GF Malta succeed you and HR would do the rest of us a favor, pack up and leave.

14nm CMOS Device Manager

Current Employee - 14nm CMOS Device Manager in Clifton Park, NY
    Current Employee - 14nm CMOS Device Manager in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting job, challenging, rewarding. Never a boring moment. For people want to work at cutting edge technology.

Cons

Demanding work. Working in the evenings, weekends. Working with customers can be tough.

Advice to Management

More focus on execution

Run, Don't Walk!

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cafe, new building, unlimited money for brick & mirror, good access to social media, hot HR babes but shame about the brains

Cons

Dead end career path, weak or incompetent management, no parking, cement ceiling for women, HR is total waste, raises that don't even meet cost of living increase

Advice to Management

Place would make a great space for a college. Get out now!

RSS Feed </> Embed