GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
2.1

Sanjay K. Jha

Pros
  • Work life balance, a lot of choice of activity to participate if you are interested (in 13 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, transport provided, work is not difficult (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible work life balance for people who actually contribute (in 25 reviews)

• I haven't even met my upper management and I have been employed with them for over a year (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Princ Engineer

Current Employee - Princ Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Princ Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is just a job, which can let you bring bread on table for your family. good for fresh graduate student for future career development. good for those people want to enjoy retire life

Cons

1)people come from all the world, some of them are very good professionally and some of them are really buster
    2) promotion is not on your performance, it is on how close to your manager
    3) very weak executive ability compare to his competitor TSMC
    4) nobody follow protocol, cleaning room like a dust room it is not very hard to find all possible particle in clean room. my god, Who is going to believe they can make good product in such kind of cleaning room.

be fair for those hard worker.

Mts

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Good Health insurance.
    Many great engineers until now.
    What else???

Cons

Horrible managers!!!!
    Some managers are taking the credit by stealing the work done by their engineers.

360 review system is required

More Politics than in Politics itself

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Advanced Technology and a chance to get in at the very beginning. If you can do the impossible...navigate the cronyism and work hard and do not expect anything but the knowledge and can put your personal; advancement in the industry in the back burner for a while...maybe you have a chance.,...

Cons

Politics, and then some more politics and certainly lack of leadership....

An exciting and busy place to work, however chaotic. But overall a great mix of people.

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-easy to get started on high-impact projects
    -good benefits, above average compensation
    -very diverse workforce, and high energy coming from new college graduates

Cons

-the management system is somewhat disorganized, high flux
    -there is a consensus of discontent, however it is not evident of the atmosphere or day to day life

Increase meritocracy. There are a few great people who work much too hard and it often goes unrecognized.

Major changes .... some results .... still a long way to go.

Current Employee - Employee in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Employee in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Globally they finally realized the last board of directors was meaningless and CEO was clueless and they finally replaced the well connected site leaders who messed up the site. ( Don't worry about them, they found nice jobs with vendor companies. don't bet the same for the man in the street )

We got some of the best talkers in the industry. We outperform any of our competitors in delivery of messages by a very wide margin. Truely, never was so little results spoken of by so much.

We licensed technology for an obscene expense from another company which reflects the failure of our own development efforts ( which we had invested a lot). It was a nice celebration we had for our large expenses and write offs of our investment..

Not sure if the new IBM GM can do much. Funny thing is that the last "great leader" proclaimed before that Malta outperformed IBM on latest tech development. I guess Folks finally realized that IBM's crappy performance was in fact better. It really takes some extraordinarily bad Leadership to under perform with respect to IBM.

Some programs succeed and in fact succeed very well in earning revenue. Rewind back 1 year ago and you'll recall that those programs are also the least in priority. Duh...

Cons

Huge gravy train numbering into the hundreds of employees who have past working association with a key figure in this company. You can easier identify such departments by the ridiculous number of Senior/Principle member of technical staffs they have. They report either into non critical organizations or are offsite in sunny Austin/West Coast and have nice 8-5 jobs. No ownership for any of their simulations/unrealistic forecasts or implications. Gravy train departments also have the best retention. No surprises. Those who do little, live well with guaranteed promotions. Ridiculously huge overhead and no one even knows how they contribute to the business.

They love the GPM. Each leader is convinced that he can do a better job than his predecessor on differentiating performance. Each leader ensures that his huge gravy train gets the high ratings while folks they don't know get the low ratings. Combine this with frequent management changes and guess the result. No one can even quantify the value it adds to the company.

Management / HR are very conscious of glassdoor reviews. They blame each other for the poor reviews but they change a lot of their policies.

Dump the GPM. You only get rid of your best.
    You can always fire /hire / promote as you like in the US without the forced distribution that the GPM mandates.

Trying to do too many things at once, no clear direction

Current Employee - SMTS Process Engineer in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - SMTS Process Engineer in Albany, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Albany is good family location, significantly cheaper than Bay Area

Cons

Management is horrible. Quote from one SVP 'we must prioritize everything'. Executive management says to challenge with data but everyone afraid and no one makes data-based decisions. Albany is extremely white, significant racial bias if you get even 10 miles out of town.

Pick one thing to focus on and do it. Quit trying to please every single customer. Grow a pair and develop a process and provide the customer with a solution instead of having each customer dictate a solution to you so that you have multiple different solutions all trying to share the same fab in Malta. This is no way to make money, the margins are going to suck if this continues.

Dynamic and challenging

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Opportunities are given to employees to perform their best.

Cons

Global time zone support.

Listen to the ground level.

Oh, What a Feeling!

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good coworkers
    Nice facility
    Nice hiking paths nearby

Cons

I turned in my notice of resignation today after 4 years. I feel great.
    I have read the reviews and talked with many co-workers about the persistent problems in Malta. Many of us left, but some stuck it out, worked most weekends, put on weight and developed high blood pressure trying to help one batch of incompetent leaders after another make something of this investment.
    When we began bringing in IBMers, I thought that was a good sign, but I was wrong. What is going on is nothing more than cronyism. Loyal employees who have worked their butts off are being replaced by friends of the GM without any understanding or explanation. Many of these placements make no sense at all.
    Make no mistake, this is the GF WAY. Employees are commodities who deserve no loyalty from leadership.
    It feels so good to leave this place!

I don't have any advice. You can't change bad into good.

KC Ang The Sunshine Band Collapsing. The Gig is Up!

Current Employee - Shift Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get some experience in leading edge technology and then move on, to somewhere else.

Or be part of the KC clan and get it all for doing nothing.

The new GM is a visionary, we all believe he will make the right changes. He has started already, it is what the company needed. He is bringing in some very good talented folks with the drive to see the vision.

More IBM folks are here now and they can see through the muddle. And they can guide the new GM though the pile of mess so things can go in the right direction.

Cons

Human dignity is not part of the culture. If you are from Singapore and part of the KC clan, then you get whatever you want. So for the 99% that are struggling to get something and have to work 100% harder than the KC clan types.

You have in one group almost everyone in management from Singapore and they have violated every single federal workplace law. But yet HR, will not act, why? Because they are part of the KC clan and believe it or not the KC doesn't want them back to their native Sunshine country.

Some of these foreigners, are good, at giving the right folks the smile, only when it's to their benefit, then they turn around and brow beat everyone else in the organization. These Singaporean's are hypocrites! By the way, these clowns have green cards, almost as soon as they got here to the US, they have displaced Americans that can do the same job better. Maybe that explains the last few years of no forward progress with the company.

Great companies would have terminated these Singaporean clowns several years back, but in all honestly, GlobalFoundries, pays so much in relocation costs, that they don't want to look bad when they have to let anyone go back to their native country.

Put the right people in the right jobs and move some of the folks in the Sunshine Band back to where they came from. You will safe those that can work at their best by not being feared to do something that is not culturally acceptable.

Employee review program designed to stifle career advancement

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NY MVP health benefits are good, there are some great startup technicians that haven't left... YET

Cons

Wow, where to start.
    -If you are a NCG you can easily get a job here for less than $20 an hour doing SOMETHING with "engineering" in the title. But you can pretty much expect to be making the same salary in 5 years from now due to the destructive employee evaluation/review system designed to pay it's employees less and hinder their career advancement, unless of course you leave (which everyone is or trying to).
    -Training program- Semiconductor system overview I and II, and then ... Best of luck ! And a sink or swim environment following.
    -Your boss knows less than you do but because he has "experience" he is the one who decides your fate come review time and approves your time cards and time off requests.
    -Fab is hot, sweat shop
    -Everyone here who is not a NCG, is here because they failed somewhere else, an asylum of "misfit engineers/middle managers"
    -Continue to lose valuable person at the technician level which should be looked at as the most important job role in Fab.
    -Senior technicians that have been here 2-3 years are training new hires that make more than they do. Which just goes to show you the cost of living and inflation increase as compared to career growth and merit increase availability at this company for technicians.
    -Get out now, and don't waste 2 years of your life waiting for things to get better here
    -ignore the fake 4&5 star short/vague reviews that are created by the recruiters to offset the majority of 1 star reviews. This is how HR is fixing the problem of attrition by posing as happy technicians on glassdoor.com writing fake reviews. Instead of going to the CEO and say BUCK UP ! Nobody's ever gonna learn how to make an IC consistently if the hands on experience is turning over every 18-24 months.

Attrition-Know how to stop it, or else you (as a company) will never learn. Think about that. You really don't pay much.

It doesn't matter who the CEO is, it doesn't matter who the GM is. You need to focus on retaining your talent on the ground floor.