GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
2.1

Sanjay K. Jha

Pros
  • Work life balance, a lot of choice of activity to participate if you are interested (in 13 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, transport provided, work is not difficult (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible work life balance for people who actually contribute (in 25 reviews)

• I haven't even met my upper management and I have been employed with them for over a year (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Lack of leadership and organization

Former Employee - Shift Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The compensation is decent for a new graduate into the industry

Cons

Work-life balance
    Continuous change of leadership and job description
    Excessive hours

What you are doing is not working

Overall not good

Current Employee - Smts in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Smts in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is not bad. Compensation/benefit is comparable.

Cons

Poor management. Poor review method. No PDCA(Plan, Do, Check, Action). Can't compete with other competitors.

Must review the plan, schedule, lots. Must ask to provide PDCA. Not just listen the engineer story

good and bad

Current Employee - Engineer Process Engineering in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer Process Engineering in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

flexible to learn and study as long as you like it

Cons

management needs to reconsider how to compete sec and t

do your best

Resigned Yesterday

Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was an exciting opportunity that is now lost
    Met hundred of smart and dedicated people who are now gone
    Have a very nice 8 weeks of summer which will now become 30 weeks of winter

Cons

There is only one negative, but that negative has persisted without abatement every year. This negative influences everything and has squandered $billions and ruined hundreds of good people.

I am talking about the top leadership of the company. I am not talking about the middle managers and shift level supervisors that local HR leaders continue to blame for the toxic culture in Malta. These folks have done very good work despite HR and Top Leadership, they deserve a medal.

I have lived through three generations of fools running the company and running Malta. Each group of fools has been a cast-off from somewhere else, most frequently from another company that failed and is no longer in business. Each new cast-off has brought in its own cadre of cast-offs to fill critical positions. Each time we change leadership, the company takes a left turn into a dead-end that a reasonably competent leader would have foresaw. Who pays the bills for these mistakes? Mubadala and the everyday employee, whose bonuses and pay continue to lag, and who has to make up the work caused by persistent double digit turnover.

HR blames low morale on middle managers for not holding better 1:1 meetings and not performing better career counseling. They have a hard time answering the question- what career? There are no careers here, there are only jobs that people trade their souls to do until they can find something else. Everyone's career plan is to find something else.

So now we are becoming IBM, I guess because IBM microelectronics has been such a success that they can infuse Globalfoundries with the correct tonic for what ails us. It is still unclear why IBM paid us $1.5billion to unload this toxic waste. But is clear that having led a failed company is a key criteria for getting top leadership role at Globalfoundries. And so it goes, another ship of fools at the Top.

Cast your eyes on the next failing company, make this your succession plan.

Great experience so far

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Excellent benefits. Great people. I've worked here for almost 4 years now, and have received an excellent pay increase each year.

Cons

Very busy, but I'm grateful for that. I've worked in companies that weren't very busy, and was always worried about my job.

not impressive

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I didn't see any pros in this company. They give good health benefits. In this place, people are coming from different culture and we can know about more cultures.

Cons

Managers asks lower level people advice and didn't consider advices. This place is not US work culture. The people brought Singapore work culture. Simple example, I need to work at any time if any problem in our applications. But they don't allow work from home if needed. I am working more than 2 yrs, I didn't get appreciation for my work and didn't get any bonus. They don't allow to fix the problems permanently because management thought it may lead to new problems and they don't allow test new logic. Here there is no professional growth.

Please don't re org every two months. Please work with floor level people to fix problems. Otherwise, this fab wont deliver one product to customer. In this place more managers and they mess all the things like more chefs in kitchen.

Princ Engineer

Current Employee - Princ Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Princ Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is just a job, which can let you bring bread on table for your family. good for fresh graduate student for future career development. good for those people want to enjoy retire life

Cons

1)people come from all the world, some of them are very good professionally and some of them are really buster
    2) promotion is not on your performance, it is on how close to your manager
    3) very weak executive ability compare to his competitor TSMC
    4) nobody follow protocol, cleaning room like a dust room it is not very hard to find all possible particle in clean room. my god, Who is going to believe they can make good product in such kind of cleaning room.

be fair for those hard worker.

Mts

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Good Health insurance.
    Many great engineers until now.
    What else???

Cons

Horrible managers!!!!
    Some managers are taking the credit by stealing the work done by their engineers.

360 review system is required

More Politics than in Politics itself

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Advanced Technology and a chance to get in at the very beginning. If you can do the impossible...navigate the cronyism and work hard and do not expect anything but the knowledge and can put your personal; advancement in the industry in the back burner for a while...maybe you have a chance.,...

Cons

Politics, and then some more politics and certainly lack of leadership....

An exciting and busy place to work, however chaotic. But overall a great mix of people.

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-easy to get started on high-impact projects
    -good benefits, above average compensation
    -very diverse workforce, and high energy coming from new college graduates

Cons

-the management system is somewhat disorganized, high flux
    -there is a consensus of discontent, however it is not evident of the atmosphere or day to day life

Increase meritocracy. There are a few great people who work much too hard and it often goes unrecognized.