GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
2.1

Sanjay K. Jha

Pros
  • Work life balance, a lot of choice of activity to participate if you are interested (in 13 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, transport provided, work is not difficult (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible work life balance for people who actually contribute (in 25 reviews)

• I haven't even met my upper management and I have been employed with them for over a year (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Excitement turns to Anger turns to Apathy

Current Employee - Engineering in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Engineering in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loyal owners who continue to finance the operations
    Generally a nice facility, with a few problems
    Good coworkers

Cons

1. The area is really bad to live in, an expensive rural backwater. Locals extol the virtue of being able to drive 3 hours to go somewhere nice.
    2. With the exception of the cleanroom (which has almost nobody working in it & isn't very clean) the beautiful offices are crowded and dirty. People are packed in like sardines. Parking is still a problem but not as much as trying to find a restroom.
    3. There is no discernible strategy, there is practically no communication about the course of our future. The sad fact is that the company missed the opportunity and is now scrounching for crumbs-the IBM micro business for example.
    4. Execution is very far off the mark. I come from Intel, and there is nothing about Malta that looks or feels like a successful Fab. Poor decision making, weak processes and stunningly weak engineering are the GF Way.
    5. The new culture is a "yes Man" one, driven from the very Top.

The sad fact is that despite change, nothing is better, and I don't think it can get better.

Put a dress and some lipstick on this thing, then sell it

An exciting opportunity

Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Employees are enabled to be successful.
    -Exciting leading edge technology and typical associated challenges
    -Positive changes with new CEO and Malta GM

Cons

-Lack of accountability at department manager level for failure to deliver.
    -work life balance: some departments are fine, others with narrow visioned managers are not.
    -promotions are few and far between for good performers, reserved for "superstars"

Continue with changes made in last 6-9 months

This company needs a long term vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

You can experience how a leading edge semiconductor company operates. A lot of interaction with major equipment suppliers and opportunities to work with some excellent engineers...before they leave soon

Cons

This company is like a dead meat or prey to different groups of people from failed companies. One group of people from a failed company shows up, draws cash from the company and leaves. And next group of people shows up and doing the same thing and it repeats. The owner doesn't know anything about semiconductor and the management try to get as much money as they can during their stay without long term vision to make this company successful. No strategy or competence in management... directors and above.

New GM is a Joke

Current Employee - Contractor in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Contractor in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good building and some good workers

Cons

Module managers and up are incompetent. If IBM managers were that good then why IBM did not succeed in Semiconductor business. Do not make this place another failed IBM. Favouritism is rampant.

Wake up and do not be in denial. Hire other than IBM people.

All Bark, No Bite

Former Employee - Engineer Process Engineering in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer Process Engineering in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The site is brand new and gorgeous. You will work with the most sophisticated tools and systems in the business. Management is consumed with meetings and politics, leaving room for the individual contributor to breathe much of the time. Fantastic cafeteria, by corporate standards (although very expensive). There are opportunities to interact with top executives from companies throughout the supply chain, offering unparalleled ability to build your contact base. Location is in the proximity of several nature areas and quaint upstate NY towns.

Cons

Performance is absolutely not rewarded. Throughout my time, I was constantly reminded that I was "one of the best Engineers on the site." Not so fast....two years later, I received zero raises or promotions. In more than two years, I was only given one performance review, and it wasn't even close to fair. After being expected to carry responsibilities in the job title two levels above mine from the moment I stepped on-site, I was baffled by the lack of recognition. Engineers are expected to be on call 24x7, and due to a lack of institutionalized training, are constantly bombarded by phone calls at ungodly hours of the night. The company is reactionary to customer audits, and allows itself to be backed into a corner each time before attempting to fix systematic problems. Thus, the efforts are frequently nothing more than superficial. I can't count the number of projects of $10 million+ that are never finished, have results inaccurately reported, or just fall by the wayside. I feel genuinely bad for anyone who gets involved in this company. It's an absolute sham. Good ol' boys club of failed managers padding their resumes and retirement accounts.

Shut down the Malta site. It's like the Titanic, and it's already hit the iceberg.

equipment engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

pay is not bad for my first job

Cons

Easy place to work. As a new grad equipment engineer you are not held accountable for much. You do not even need to go into the fab to see where your tools are located, if you do not feel like it. There are still a few experienced techs left in the fab, which you can dump your project on, and as long as you have set up your voicemail, you do not need to bother with those pesky late night calls. Your projects do not need to be done on time, or even completed at all, because upper management changes their minds more often than the café changes the special of the day. We will soon become a combination of all the reject IBM managers, and a daycare center. We all know that this place is toxic, but management still acts “surprised” when people tell them how bad it is.
    Turnover is horrific, every area / shift has lost most of their original people, this includes process and equipment engineers, but it gives more opportunities for new college grads to get their first job for their resume. Failure is inevitable the only question is when.

Keep up the good work!

apathetic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

lots of training available for those in my department (seems to be different than any other found throughout the company) - management is helpful when it comes to discussing issues

Cons

policies maybe written somewhere, but are never followed, cost savings is non-existent, "old boys club" seems evident with a lot of cliques.

It's like taking a test drive of a Maserati, but when you buy it, it is a Yugo!!!

Former Employee - Principal Technician in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Technician in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Benefits, and pay.
    -Great people (in most cases)
    -If you need a job, they will hire anyone, no matter what you did. Yes even if you were a Walmart greeter, they will hire you.

Cons

Well, the lets start with the area. It is expensive. The cost of living goes up significantly when it is Horse racing season. Yes the local companies don't mind even gouging the locals to get a buck. Rent, food, and gas go up during this time. So make sure if you do decide to go here, you do it in the off months of Race season.

Management. Hmm..which one since I was there they changed management like most people change clothes. The latest one before I left made the same promises and the other 6 or 7. The Moral is so bad for the fab workers, you can see it with everyone walking with their heads hung low. But hey let's do some round tables and find out the problem. Once we do them, we will blow smoke up your behind to make you feel better. Yet we won't do anything to make it better for you. Since hell I have a golden parachute and will be gone before anything can and/or will change, so why try?

Fab personnel (Experienced). Of the experienced ones left, WAY OVER WORKED and WAY UNDER APPRECIATED!! Don't fret those of us that worked there, understand and are proud and sad for you, since you are still putting up the good fight. You are basically these people are the ONLY, and I mean ONLY people trying to make this place be successful.

Fab Personnel (NCG's) Listen and learn what you can from the experienced techs and Engineers. They will not steer you wrong. If you listen to the others, well you are part of the problem.

Now lets talk about the site in general. This place is two companies in one. One is Operations. Which they hire NCGs and tell them it is important to run everything, no matter status of tools. They could be failing quals and have issues, but hey we ran the product through it. Because CYCLE TIME DRIVES EVERYTHING!!! If you run product through a tool that is having problems, you will get crap out!! No yield and high CPW. If you dont know what CPW is = Cost Per Wafer. If that was new to you, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM TOO!!!
    Then you have Engineering. Experienced ones that have been there for long time have given up, since why try when you get brow beat or told you don't know what you are doing. The NCG's these are the new Yes men. Enough said.

Management...Well they out number the real workers in the fab almost 10 to one. Every time they do a "Restructure" they keep many of the cards in play and only add a couple. You are the problem. You are the reason there are SO many of these posts!!! Please do the people left a favor, clean out your desk and quit., You would be doing the company the best thing you could do, and be helping the local area.

Why bother posting, you won't be here long enough, or just plain don't give a damn!! But for ATIC, clean house now. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

Cement Ceiling for Women here at GlobalFoundries

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

-Lots of money invested only in the product, not the people
    -New Big Buildings, Construction;
    -They will hire everyone and anyone

Cons

-Cement ceiling for women
    -Management are either NCGs, no experience or IBMs dead wood who destroyed that semiconductor business
    -HR urinates on your leg then tells you it is raining but their high heels and chuckles smiles are popular with Corporate types
    -Safety & Health here is on the back burner during the non-stop "expansion"...(risky and a concern)
    -Too many temporary overseas workers in rotation. Ask them how much of their workforce are non-resident aliens? They won't say...The joke is on the town of Malta NY!

-Be Honest with the community and tell locals the real direction of the company
    -Fix the salary disparity in he ranks
    -Metrics on management effectiveness
    -Give employees real opportunity to advance and stop the HR "secrets"
    -Stop expanding on unsuccessful platforms
    -Do real background checks so we don't have to work beside sloppy seconds of our competitors or criminals!

Summer intern

Former Employee - Intern in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

good pay. I had good managers, coworkers are friendly.

Cons

You do not do a job. nothing you cannot accomplish. No job satisfaction at all. Always stress full days.