GLOBALFOUNDRIES

www.globalfoundries.com
Employer Engaged

Amazing for anybody who wants to learn

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Great technology, convergence of all engineering fields

Cons

too many org changes can affect morale

Worst job I have ever had

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

New building and modern tool.

Cons

Management is sexist and abusive to their employees, and their decision making resembles a squirrel crossing the road. They cannot make a coherent business plan and stick to it for more than one quarter. Turn over here is over 20%, and yet management refuses to admit there is a problem. The fab is a sweatshop, literally, support is non existent. This place will fail due to the lack of any competent management.

You guys are destroying this place, when it fails, it will be your fault.

Resigned Yesterday

Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was an exciting opportunity that is now lost
    Met hundred of smart and dedicated people who are now gone
    Have a very nice 8 weeks of summer which will now become 30 weeks of winter

Cons

There is only one negative, but that negative has persisted without abatement every year. This negative influences everything and has squandered $billions and ruined hundreds of good people.

I am talking about the top leadership of the company. I am not talking about the middle managers and shift level supervisors that local HR leaders continue to blame for the toxic culture in Malta. These folks have done very good work despite HR and Top Leadership, they deserve a medal.

I have lived through three generations of fools running the company and running Malta. Each group of fools has been a cast-off from somewhere else, most frequently from another company that failed and is no longer in business. Each new cast-off has brought in its own cadre of cast-offs to fill critical positions. Each time we change leadership, the company takes a left turn into a dead-end that a reasonably competent leader would have foresaw. Who pays the bills for these mistakes? Mubadala and the everyday employee, whose bonuses and pay continue to lag, and who has to make up the work caused by persistent double digit turnover.

HR blames low morale on middle managers for not holding better 1:1 meetings and not performing better career counseling. They have a hard time answering the question- what career? There are no careers here, there are only jobs that people trade their souls to do until they can find something else. Everyone's career plan is to find something else.

So now we are becoming IBM, I guess because IBM microelectronics has been such a success that they can infuse Globalfoundries with the correct tonic for what ails us. It is still unclear why IBM paid us $1.5billion to unload this toxic waste. But is clear that having led a failed company is a key criteria for getting top leadership role at Globalfoundries. And so it goes, another ship of fools at the Top.

Cast your eyes on the next failing company, make this your succession plan.

Sexist

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Nothing worth listing. I get a paycheck...a weak one for the amount of work I do.

Cons

And now they take away womens restrooms? They have hired too many men so they take away the women's restrooms closest to the fab. Engineering at its best...

...

The Luther Forest of Politics. Not a place for good engineers

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New buildings, state of the art equipment, great investors to finance huge investment.... just like other reviews

Cons

You need to run through the forest of politics. There are many herds of political animals. They attack you, barks at you, glance at you, escape from you, ignore you, or do nothing....... Apparently they are not cooperating.

This is clearly not a place for good engineers. Many politicians are here but not many engineers, geeks or nerds. The management failed to infuse engineering culture into GF. If we just follow what other companies are doing, no reason to have a fab in the US. Very weak R&D.

I see the same cycle every 2 years. I'm sure you will restart the next one in 2016. It's just doubling the number of incompetent Directors/Sr Mgrs/PMTS/SMTS to provide jobs and money to locals (meaning white Americans)

Lack of leadership and organization

Former Employee - Shift Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The compensation is decent for a new graduate into the industry

Cons

Work-life balance
    Continuous change of leadership and job description
    Excessive hours

What you are doing is not working

Great experience so far

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Excellent benefits. Great people. I've worked here for almost 4 years now, and have received an excellent pay increase each year.

Cons

Very busy, but I'm grateful for that. I've worked in companies that weren't very busy, and was always worried about my job.

not impressive

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I didn't see any pros in this company. They give good health benefits. In this place, people are coming from different culture and we can know about more cultures.

Cons

Managers asks lower level people advice and didn't consider advices. This place is not US work culture. The people brought Singapore work culture. Simple example, I need to work at any time if any problem in our applications. But they don't allow work from home if needed. I am working more than 2 yrs, I didn't get appreciation for my work and didn't get any bonus. They don't allow to fix the problems permanently because management thought it may lead to new problems and they don't allow test new logic. Here there is no professional growth.

Please don't re org every two months. Please work with floor level people to fix problems. Otherwise, this fab wont deliver one product to customer. In this place more managers and they mess all the things like more chefs in kitchen.

Princ Engineer

Current Employee - Princ Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Princ Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is just a job, which can let you bring bread on table for your family. good for fresh graduate student for future career development. good for those people want to enjoy retire life

Cons

1)people come from all the world, some of them are very good professionally and some of them are really buster
    2) promotion is not on your performance, it is on how close to your manager
    3) very weak executive ability compare to his competitor TSMC
    4) nobody follow protocol, cleaning room like a dust room it is not very hard to find all possible particle in clean room. my god, Who is going to believe they can make good product in such kind of cleaning room.

be fair for those hard worker.

Mts

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES

Pros

Good Health insurance.
    Many great engineers until now.
    What else???

Cons

Horrible managers!!!!
    Some managers are taking the credit by stealing the work done by their engineers.

360 review system is required