GM Financial Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Daniel E. Berce

Pros
  • Company does care about employee work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Pay is good for the type of work you will be doing (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • not very open to promoting work life/ home life balance, all production , hard to take vacations when your required to work every other Saturdays (in 2 reviews)

• There is no room to move up in this company (in 2 reviews)

1. I.T. Management

I worked at GM Financial

Pros

Capable leadership
    Competitive pay
    Good training opportunities
    Possible advancement opportunities for those with the right experience, and who are in the right place at the right time.

No company is perfect. GMF has experienced rapid growth. This presents a special set of challenges and in the process some employees can feel mistreated or left behind, in spite of good intentions. But in the grand scheme, these are good problems to have (as opposed to being in a shrinking company that's laying off). Overall it's a positive environment to be apart of.

Cons

Reading through some reviews here, I find some points made which have merit and others that do not. Senior leadership is somewhat out of touch with what's going on in the trenches. This much is very true. While there have been some complaints of too many AVPs I believe that is erroneous if you compare the ITS org chart--particularly on the infrastructure side--with other parts of the organization. Due to the IO integration project infrastructure was very busy trying to marry two companies while the rest of the NA centric teams were busy building out their org chart. One big problem is there are not enough VPs. One in particular has so many teams there's no opportunity to spend much time with any in particular. This tends to degrade management in a more general sense. There are also some at the SVP level far too unengaged with lower teams.

It's possible for some promotions to be handed out to those who seem less deserving. This can happen in any org, and it's also true that it can seem political, but at the same time it's important to recognize the following:
    1. Not everyone can get promoted every year. Some will get left behind, and it won't always seem fair. That's life. It's impossible to make everyone happy.
    2. Don't blame the person who was promoted. If you were given that opportunity you would take it, so why shouldn't they?
    3. Keep in mind a great engineer or developer doesn't always make a good leader and vice versa. Additionally, it's possible to be so good at your job that management can't afford to move you up. That seems like a travesty and injustice but it can happen in any company.
    4. Politics can seem to play a role, but remember good leaders have to have good to great interpersonal skills--and they have to be good communicators. Maybe you're a great engineer but not the best communicator. There's no shame in that.
    5. If you have a problem report it to your manager. If he isn't receptive go to his boss and so on. If it's an issue in another team, ignore it and move on. Just do your best to please the person you directly report to and ignore the rest of the politics.
    6. Keep in mind that if you work under a manager (instead of reporting directly to an AVP), he/she may not wish to have the AVP above them interacting with engineers directly. Some engineers don't like AVPs looking over their shoulder. So while some may accuse middle management of being aloof, distant, or disconnected, there can be good reasons for that.

In my time at GMF, I found an adequate pipeline for lodging complaints or recommending improvements. As I recall they had surveys on occasion to give feedback. There were also opportunities to give feedback to your manager at mid year performance checkins and the formal performance review. Take advantage of these opportunities to voice your concerns. Remember management is more receptive to the problems you present if you also provide a solution or suggestion for improvement. It's easy to complain. It's more productive to be a problem solver.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership (VP and especially SVP) has to make more time get closer to the trench work and understand the daily challenges of engineers and developers. They should make the effort to meet with smaller subsets of people to understand ongoing challenges.

Windows Teams (critical apps, vmware, core)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good management, good engineers, flexible work environment, high value on work life balance, numerous training, learning and career development opportunities.

Cons

Anonymous forums such as this one afford the opportunity to make claims without verification or accountability to whether or not they are true. I've looked at some of the other reviews reported here, and can confidently state they are false. I have not seen micromanagement, nor have I seen abusive management practices. On the contrary, I've seen a caring management group, that want the engineers to succeed. Of course, it's not perfect, but considering the volume of work we do, and the rapid growth we have undergone, the teams operate with remarkable effectiveness, and management is solid. If there is a CON, the only one is that pace and volume of work. We always seem to do so many things in such a short time span. Much of this is outside of the control of the teams, and is business driven.

Advice to Management

Develop a global IT vision and corporate mission. Improve the project pipe line, so that infrastructure teams are involved sooner in order to avoid flawed service delivery that becomes a management burden. Look for more team building opportunities. Slow the pace of work when we can. Seek ways to work smarter and not harder.

decent company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay - ok insurance

Cons

to many chief not enough indians - very political - some times not what you know but who - depends on dept on pay raises most get very little

Advice to Management

help employees learn - do better job of teaching correctly

Pretty Good

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lower level management are nice and undeestandinf. They don't expect perfection and are happy to help however they can for you to improve. They do expect you to know how to do your job and will hold you accountable.

Cons

They are not a very open or diverse company. This year thus finally included orientation as a protected status. They do not recognize transgendered.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to spend some time with the worker bees of the company to remember what it's like to work on an hourly rate.

Company Culture

I have been working at GM Financial full-time

Pros

Great place to work
    Laid back
    Good people

Cons

No exact plan for advancement seems as though you have to apply blindly to move around company

Advice to Management

Come up with tangible ways individuals can advancement in the company

Best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Loss Recovery/Non Collateral Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

excellent balance with home and work life. lots of positive affirmation when job is well done. lots of room to move and grow. wonderful work family. friendly environment. every level of management is super helpful. team leaders actually lead instead of just "managing" their employees. benefits are amazing. management always open to new ideas and suggestions from employees. team effort really encouraged. excellent rewards/perks for job well done (paid movie day for whole company). Decent pay with adequate raises. Nice bonus structure for teams as a whole. No high pressure quotas. love love love it!

Cons

location in arlington...traffic can be quite congested. have to work one late night per week (11-8). and one saturday a month (but it's only half day and you get to leave work on friday at half day too!!!)

Advice to Management

keep up the great work! you have made a lifetime employee out of me! i couldn't be happier with every level of management that I encounter on a daily basis.

Not a bad team at all

Current Employee - LAN/WAN in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - LAN/WAN in Arlington, TX

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, great schedule, good pay for the work. Great boss

Cons

Lots of politics in a lot of teams. Many people don't care about anything but their stuff and could care less that you have to do work for other too.

Advice to Management

Get everyone to work together better.

How is it really?????

Current Employee - Windows in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Windows in Arlington, TX

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After reading all of the reviews to this point I decided I should go ahead and hopefully help people understand how it really is at GMF IT.

There are some pros:

Flexible hours
    Decent PTO time
    Paid training
    The work/life balance really does depend on the team and it can be good at times (but make no mistake the workload can definitely cut into your personal life even when you aren't on-call)

Cons

I personally have seen many of the negative complaints (and been involved with some myself as well) reviewed on LinkedIn and have no doubt that all of them are true regarding the people writing them. There are of course some good ones as well. That's not to say that because of all the bad IT reviews it is a bad company work for, it has to be looked at on a person by person basis. Just because someone has had a great experience personally and never seen an issue or anything themselves certainly doesn't mean that it isn't and doesn't happen. I have seen several reviews where people state that the bad reviews are completely false but unless you are involved in every job/team/incident/project/HR talk/etc. you cant make statements like that honestly.

Personally, I feel that the fact some people say that none of this happens at all (it happens at every company at some point and in some fashion or form) just goes to show the disjointed nature and teams are here. That said everyone doing research should read ALL of the reviews before making up their mind not just one to two. Look at the bigger picture.

Now to my personal take on GMF. This definitely isn't the worst place I have worked but it certainly isn't the best either. I gave the review an overall score of 2 stars because of the severely limited career opportunities within IT, the workload that does more often than not cut into personal life even when not on-call, and finally (as noted in almost every review including the ones that claim the other reviews are false) a lack of IT vision/direction/solidarity from management. This includes what is needed of IT, what is expected of IT, and then a consistent repeated message from the top down.

Advice to Management

Listen to and engage your staff, not just your peers or your direct reports. Get down and talk to the everyday staff that maintains everything and hear what they have to say and how they feel about things. Things aren't as bad as they could be but they certainly aren't as good as they could be either.

Worst IT department I have ever worked in. Don't even bother....

Current Employee - Linux Engineer in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Engineer in Arlington, TX

I have been working at GM Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Average market pay
    401K
    Somewhat flexible schedule for family related items
    They will pay for your certification tests

Cons

Management is a joke from the get go. There are so many Assistant Vice Presidents here the title is completely worthless. Basically every AVP is simply a manager and everyone with a managers title is a team lead. The AVPs have no clue what their own team does and is so out of touch that they do nothing but micro manage and hinder the work getting completed.

It is so disheartening to watch good people with managers title fight for what is right not only for the company but for their teams and watch them be blown off by the AVPs because it doesn't meet their personal agenda and political aspirations within the company. Then they turn around and steal those people ideas and move themselves up ignoring who did the leg work, no recognition of any kind.

Because of all of this there is zero room for advancement in this company unless you are part of the "in" crowd and play games and walk all over your coworkers.

Advice to Management

Instead of allowing promotion based on likability and friendship promote based on performance and ability. None of the average workers even feel cared about and the folks with managers title do so much more and better than the out of touch "AVP". Promote the managers to a position with real power and let them take the company to the next level.

Overall Decent Company

Former Employee - Credit Review in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Credit Review in Arlington, TX

I worked at GM Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, some great people, good salaries

Cons

Severe office politics led to hostility in the work place. Over 7 employees from my department left at the same time I did due to this. I have heard its been fixed.

Advice to Management

Your only as successful as your team - embrace your top employees, don't treat them like a threat.

RSS Feed </> Embed