GMAC-RFC Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Good company, down cycle.

Former Employee - Contracts Administrator in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Contracts Administrator in San Diego, CA

I worked at GMAC-RFC

Pros

They supported a balanced work/personal life. One was not looked down on or held back for future opportunities just because one needed a vacation every year or didn't want to work 12 hour days. In fact, 12 hour days were seen as a sign of a problem, and that problem was dealt with.

Cons

I was with a satellite office that had an excellent rate of turning foreclosures into homes sold. The corporate office was rather stodgy. Their larger (than San Diego) servicing site in Horsham PA had a time-tested, never-changing way of doing things. Even though we handled the poorer credit loans (thus, more foreclosures) and had a higher turnaround rate, Horsham still looked down on San Diego as renegades.

Advice to Management

Go with what works, rather than what's always been done.

2. Success is elusive and at best temporary.

Former Employee - Human Resources in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at GMAC-RFC

Pros

Being a subsidiary of GMAC has its benefits, both from a total rewards, recognition, and benefits perspective. But this is a company that excelled in another world, prior to the mortgage market meltdown and global economic turmoil. Work - life balance was strongly encouraged and supported.

Cons

GMAC-RFC served a niche market that at one point was very profitable. Then the world changed and the company did not change fast enough or move in the right direction. While talking about diversification of its portfolio, the company missed the boat in that it still focused on the sub prime market. The pressures brought about by the sale of GMAC to Cerebus also created turmoil as GMAC sought to consolidate and become more efficient. There were culture clashes and low employee engagement as a result. The people who needed to be retained were either let go or left the company before things got too bad.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics. Either build a culture that people can buy into or divest the business and focus on growth areas.

3. Great Place to Work? Used to be.

Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I worked at GMAC-RFC

Pros

Prior to the Mortgage Crisis, RFC was a great place to work. Good Compensation, Great Benefits and Great People. I can't begin to explain the level of talent of the people I worked with. Many smart, creative and innovative individuals. If a company were smart, it would come in and pick up a whole group of the displaced workers.

Cons

Since the mortgage credit crisis things are not very good. My entire group was eliminated as part of a re-structuring. Not sure if the company will make it.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive if you can. Over the years, RFC was more reactive...not a leader in the industry. More of a fast follower.

5. Grand

Former Employee - Treasury Analyst in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Treasury Analyst in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at GMAC-RFC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had very professional bosses

Cons

My daily travel on the M4 from London

Advice to Management

Keep it up

6. great place to work for

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at GMAC-RFC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay masters relaxed culture learning opportunities they invested a lot in bracknell office and employees. The office culture was very relaxed and chill.

Cons

too bad the company had to go into administration due to recession

7. Good Place for some experience

Former Employee - Analyst in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at GMAC-RFC

Pros

Great people Used to be a great environment before the credit crunch Good exposure to that industry good work life balance

Cons

Management turnover too high Management so involved that not much time to focus ont he team Nobody to learn from; everything if self taught No career progression in place and no study benefits

Advice to Management

N/A

Questionable IT direction

I worked at GMAC-RFC

Pros

Reasonable salary; Flexible work hours; Work from home option; Friendly people to work with for the most part; Work tools provided.

Cons

Allowing some managers to dominate and push their agenda without considering suggestions from the people actually performing the work and knows the details.

Advice to Management

Stop sending US jobs to other countries. They may be cheaper but it takes more of them to get the job done correctly the first time. Too many translation issues. Our economy needs the jobs.

RSS Feed </> Embed