GMMB

James Margolis

Lots of Work!

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at GMMB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on what team you're on, you will stay VERY busy. You get to work for great causes and with great people.

Cons

It took a while to break into the group.

Great first time internship

I worked at GMMB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic environment to work in as an intern for the first time.

Cons

Not many opportunities after internship.

Great place to work, but be prepared to work hard!

Former Employee - Vice President and Senior Vice President in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Vice President and Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

I worked at GMMB full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The partners at the firm has established a very collegial work environment; you get the opportunity to support very meaningful causes; people are generally happy working there; there are lots of opportunities for upward advancement; and many stay a very long time. It's a great place to get your feet wet in the industry and learn the campaign and PR world.

Cons

You work very long hours; so this is not a place that you should go if you want a 9 to 5 job. It's not transparent what makes one person a VP, SVP, partner -- feels a bit like it's a popularity contest. Despite this, overall it's a great place to work and the leaders are all truly good people who care.

Keep doing what you are doing and improve transparency.

Great learning experience, very satisfying

I worked at GMMB

Pros

The office culture is great, a lot of young people, great location, great work

Cons

Sort of old fashioned in the design of the organization. Being an assistant to a Partner but sort of a great mentoring program I suppose

Amazing learning experience, very demanding

Former Employee - Digital Media Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Digital Media Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at GMMB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The office culture is amazing and account managers treat you as an equal. Managers are great at providing feedback and allow you to work one-on-one with them. They actually integrate your ideas and work into what is presented to clients.

Cons

Even if you're an intern or assistant, the position is very demanding. Managers rely on you for client-related work while assigning menial office work (making copies, mailing packages) at the same time. $10/hour for interns is too little for the amount of work expected.

Place more emphasis on upper management learning social media and latest digital tools as opposed on relying on interns and assistants to build social media campaigns with little direction.

Work with smart, interesting people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at GMMB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A great work environment for on-the job learning - you must be comfortable with the "trial by fire" mentality.

Cons

The amount of responsibility you get can be very dependent on your particular team dynamics. That being said, you can make your own luck if you are persistent enough.

Provide a more dynamic system for growth, not strictly limited to the year-end review process. Promote based on qualifications, not seniority

The best political consulting and advertising firm in the country. And it's not even close.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at GMMB full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The vast majority of the clients represent great causes.
    Amazing offices.
    Progressive values

Cons

Highly variable hours
    Strength of the practices are uneven. While the political and global health teams are first class, the digital team seems to be in constant transition.

Fantastic

Current Employee - Account Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at GMMB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meaningful work, great coworkers, big ideas, and a great company culture. If I could have, I would have stayed there for a longer amount of time but I had to leave the DC area. It's a fun and positive place to work where you feel like you're making a difference.

Cons

I don't think there are many cons. They grew so quickly that the management lay out is a bit wide and hard to maneuver, but overall it works well. The HR department had some hiring problems in my time, but it seems to be fixed now.

Mixed review. Largely unimpressed.

I worked at GMMB full-time

Pros

Interesting clients and projects; fair salaries and good benefits; nice location on the Georgetown waterfront. It is a fairly typical ad agency environment.

Cons

The fact that it is managed by a partner team of nearly 20 people, means that there are politics galore, much more so than I had previously experienced. The culture seems to reward kissing up and "yes men" attitudes. Cliques abound and you had better know how to navigate them. Original thinking is not often rewarded and it begins to show in the creative work. Creative process is often shortened or derailed by aggressive account teams and poor planning.

• Make sure that employees are being treated fairly and equally. For as progressive as GMMB likes to believe it is, I saw discrimination here firsthand.
    • TRAIN people in your systems. Trial by fire caused much unnecessary stress.
    • Create better paths for advancement on the creative side

Interned there for a year, and it was such a great experience. Truly felt like a member of the team.

Former Employee - Media Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Media Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at GMMB as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome culture, fun place to work.

Cons

Hiring process could probably use a little work.

GMMB Photos

A campaign sign hanging in the Washington, DC offices of GMMB (Photo thanks to Flickr user Ekene O with permission, All rights reserved.)
have you seen this van chugging along our nation's capital? (Photo thanks to Flickr user mayramcpherson All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo