GMMB

GMMB Reviews

Updated May 28, 2014

GMMB President James Margolis

James Margolis

Amazing learning experience, very demanding

Digital Media Intern (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe office culture is amazing and account managers treat you as an equal. Managers are great at providing feedback and allow you to work one-on-one with them. They actually integrate your ideas and work into what is presented to clients.

ConsEven if you're an intern or assistant, the position is very demanding. Managers rely on you for client-related work while assigning menial office work (making copies, mailing packages) at the same time. $10/hour for interns is too little for the amount of work expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace more emphasis on upper management learning social media and latest digital tools as opposed on relying on interns and assistants to build social media campaigns with little direction.

Work with smart, interesting people

(Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsA great work environment for on-the job learning - you must be comfortable with the "trial by fire" mentality.

ConsThe amount of responsibility you get can be very dependent on your particular team dynamics. That being said, you can make your own luck if you are persistent enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a more dynamic system for growth, not strictly limited to the year-end review process. Promote based on qualifications, not seniority

Fantastic

Account Assistant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsMeaningful work, great coworkers, big ideas, and a great company culture. If I could have, I would have stayed there for a longer amount of time but I had to leave the DC area. It's a fun and positive place to work where you feel like you're making a difference.

ConsI don't think there are many cons. They grew so quickly that the management lay out is a bit wide and hard to maneuver, but overall it works well. The HR department had some hiring problems in my time, but it seems to be fixed now.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best political consulting and advertising firm in the country. And it's not even close.

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe vast majority of the clients represent great causes.
    Amazing offices.
    Progressive values

ConsHighly variable hours
    Strength of the practices are uneven. While the political and global health teams are first class, the digital team seems to be in constant transition.

Mixed review. Largely unimpressed.

(Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsInteresting clients and projects; fair salaries and good benefits; nice location on the Georgetown waterfront. It is a fairly typical ad agency environment.

ConsThe fact that it is managed by a partner team of nearly 20 people, means that there are politics galore, much more so than I had previously experienced. The culture seems to reward kissing up and "yes men" attitudes. Cliques abound and you had better know how to navigate them. Original thinking is not often rewarded and it begins to show in the creative work. Creative process is often shortened or derailed by aggressive account teams and poor planning.

Advice to Senior Management• Make sure that employees are being treated fairly and equally. For as progressive as GMMB likes to believe it is, I saw discrimination here firsthand.
    • TRAIN people in your systems. Trial by fire caused much unnecessary stress.
    • Create better paths for advancement on the creative side

Interned there for a year, and it was such a great experience. Truly felt like a member of the team.

Media Intern (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsAwesome culture, fun place to work.

ConsHiring process could probably use a little work.

Started out great, downhill from there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYoung staff, collaborative environment, senior mgmt has amazing experience

ConsSalary, hours, cliques, bad promo policies

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on merit, not favoritism or nepotism

This company had some of the most supportive supervisors I've ever worked with.

Field Organizer (Former Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsMy immediate supervisor always gave me positive feedback whenever I achieved any goal, however small.

ConsIf you're not a liberal, you likely won't feel comfortable working there long-term.

Inspiring place to work, but management needs improvement

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsExcellent work, wonderful clients, amazing issues and great colleagues

ConsThe management systems need to evolve.

Advice to Senior ManagementGMMB is still run and managed like a small firm and the management structures and systems need to be improved.

Tough and very challenging obstacle for creatives/designers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros- Great people to hang out with outside of the office.
    - Omnicom discount
    - Lavish company parties and picnics throughout the year
    - Comprehensive benefits and medical plan
    - So you can help change the world by working on issue and cause-related campaigns

Cons- Lack of transparency between management and creative (non-management level)
    - Very long hours including nights and weekends for creatives and designers
    - No respect for the creative/design process
    - Recognition given more towards account management and less to creatives and designers
    - Only as good as your last best performance or work
    - You are considered an outcast if you voice your opinion with the upper management and/or partner group; considered expendable afterwards
    - It's there way or you resign/get fired

Advice to Senior Management- Require all employees to read and be trained in the "7 Habits."
    - Improve training for new managers and how to lead and not just go through the hoops of managing.
    - Lead by example and always be available to those that require your input on a timely basis.

Worked for GMMB? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GMMB reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GMMB CEO James Margolis. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by GMMB employees.