GMO

3.6

Brad Hilsabeck

Challenging Culture; Great Benefits

I worked at GMO

Pros

Everyone is extremely bright, the company is very mindful of work/life balance, and the company knows how to treat its employees well.

Cons

A lot of the interaction is very impersonal between divisions so it can be challenging to really develop strong relationships.

They do a great job of preparing the next generation of managers, but pay little attention to developing the people below them.

Great company with smart people

Former Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at GMO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects
    Smart people
    Often innovative technology

Cons

Compensation is heavily bonus based
    IT is not as prestigious as business

Weigh IT more equally with business

Software Engineer Coop

Former Employee - Software Developer Coop in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Developer Coop in Boston, MA

I worked at GMO as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Interview process very easy. Very basic technical questions regarding OOPS concepts. Access modifiers etc.

Cons

Not suitable for international students because they don't offer Full time due to their visa policy

Summer Intern at GMO RR

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at GMO as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the renewable resources division of GMO as a summer intern. Great work culture, friendly environment, nice office, good people.

Cons

There are very few young entry level employees in the office, which makes the social aspect very limited. There was only one other intern. I would've preferred an internship with more colleagues my own age

Good company and benefits, high expectations, short time frames but a challenging work environment.

I worked at GMO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They provided a good work environment and good tools to do your job. As long as your project is aligned with the business, there is great support and a close working relationship with the business departments.

Cons

IT can have multiple diametrically contrasting goals depending on the needs of the business. The legacy application teams and applications are very entrenched. New ideas have to be organic, in order to grow but the impact is limited. Big major projects are delayed due to changing business requirements. You have to be insistent to get training.

The relationship of how an applications or project may impact other applications or data are not clear. Project teams make changes to applications and data with a minimal understanding of the impact on other parts of the organization. The environment is very passive aggressive.

Outstanding place to work

Current Employee - Software Developer (Senior Level) in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer (Senior Level) in Boston, MA

I have been working at GMO full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture is generally pretty great, benefits too... SEP IRA, no formal vacation policy, 100% free healthcare (no premiums, even out of network and copays get reimbursed). Working from home depends on your team but in my case it's pretty self regulating. As long as your are working and delivering on your promises everything goes great. Management is generally receptive to input on the IT side even though sometimes dates can end up driving some development efforts. GMO tends to focus on hiring only highly performing candidates so the interviews tend to be rather in-depth and rigorous. What that means is that the people you work with (assuming you get the position) are generally top-notch.

Cons

Compensation for IT employees is a bit non-standard. Base salaries tend to be on the lower side but bonuses are huge and paid once a year (and out of it comes your SEP IRA contribution). At the end of the year though, your total compensation turns out quite nicely but there's a lot of faith the employee must have that they won't get the rug pulled out from under them at the end of the year. Raises, while they do occur, happen less frequently in order to have your bonus control your compensation (my last year's bonus was between 60%-70% of my base salary).

Great experience under good management.

I have been working at GMO as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

For an intern, having good mentors to look after your performance and work on keeping you busy with tasks and projects is very important. Regular meetings and feedback, a very open and flexible culture, with the opportunity to work across different teams.

Cons

From a personal point of view, not having the option to extend this to a full-time opportunity because of Visa sponsorship is the single biggest issue.

Worked like a dog, but really rewarding.

Former Employee - IT Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at GMO full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I started in London and moved to Boston. I loved my work and enjoyed the people I worked with. I worked in technology and was given the autonomy and trust I needed to do my job.

Cons

Long hours, but generally that's life! I went through several bosses but as that's out of most peoples control, can't really grumble!

Keep doing what you're doing!

Great culture and good benefits

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at GMO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good healthcare benefits, and "flat" culture

Cons

No formal vacation policy, have to discuss with the manager.

Establish formal vacation policy

Great place to get experience, but no long-term career prospects

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at GMO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are very bright and efficient; there is an easy way about people and I felt upper management in my division was very approachable and friendly. Great vacation and medical benefits. Great exposure to high-level dealings that you wouldn't get in other companies; very open door and "if you want to give it a try, go for it!" attitude towards new projects. If you're interested in something, they will let you pursue it.

Cons

- entire company is paid as if every employee was a trader (low base, high bonus) which leaves them very uncompetetive for careers traditionally not paid this way (IT, accounting, etc)
    - no annual CPI salary increases, but also very limited opportunities for promotions/raises so... you can basically work there for a max of 3 or 4 years if you don't get a promotion. Then you have to leave so you can keep pace with your bills every month.
    -If you're promised a 40% bonus, know that you're only getting about 20%. Half of your bonus is withheld for manadatory retirement savings - there is no 401k, so this is essentially the retirement plan there, just be aware when you're quoted a high bonus that it's not truly all a "bonus."
    - They seem to have a company culture of running "lean". They seem to purposefully understaff and plan only enough employees for "normal times" so that during busy times everyone is fraying and falling apart at the seams. I get that lower overhead keeps client fees down, but it's fairly simple to work that a bit farther and realize that putting out late reports with material weaknesses due to chronic turnover, understaffing, and lack of work-life balance isn't going to get you ahead with clients in the end. They have very short-sighted goals as a fiduciary, it's odd.
    - The have a highly centralized power structure and do not let divisions make any autonomous decisions. It's limiting and crippling to divisions whose functions and needs are outside of the norm. It gives the impression of a lack of trust of divisional leadership, which is a shame considering the talented people they employ at those levels.

You have to spend money to make money. Selling yourself as a premier financial instituition while offering some of the lowest compensation rates on the Boston market, long hours, and very limited opportunities for advancement isn't going to get you the people you want to have. And if it does, it won't keep them for long. The amount paid to recruiters to hire replacements every year in my division alone...my god - just spread that amount around and more people might stay longer. Also, don't try to run a ship that needs a ten person team with five, it won't work forever, it doesn't work well now. I enjoyed my 3 years here, but ended up leaving because I felt I had no other choice. Love the people, loved the work, loved everything I learned, was a very happy employee, but had to leave to pay my mortgage and find a career instead of just a job.