GNC

www.gnc.com

GNC Reviews in Kansas City, MO

2.8

Michael Archbold

Pros
  • You get a discount on everything you learn a lot you get to help people make life changing decisions (in 28 reviews)

• Employee discount of 20%, employees are able to work different shifts/have days off for appointments (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • sales goals pressures along with pressures for maintaining normal retail operations (in 54 reviews)

• upper management who are managers with no people skills what so ever (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you want to be overworked and underpaid, GNC is the place for you.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lees Summit, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Lees Summit, MO

I have been working at GNC

Pros

It is very difficult in many of my past jobs to get into management. At GNC they are always looking for new managers because of the high turnover so getting a store management position is easy. I work alone most of the time and do not have to share commision when working alone. As a manager I make the schedule so for the most part I am able to schedule myself so that I can go to any appointments (i.e. doctor, dentist, etc.) without having to use a vacation day to do so.

Cons

High turnover rate in part-time employees. Most stores run shorthanded when an employee quits or is fired. No lunch hours. Because GNC gives each store so few clerical hours, it is almost impossible to eat, go to the bathroom, etc. The management levels above store managers are so overwhelmed that they do not have time to deal with issues on a store level. If you need to even speak to upper management, you may wait days for them to answer your calls. As a store manager you might think that I simply manage...no, I do everything from waiting on customers to putting away freight, mopping and waxing floors and washing windows. GNC refuses to pay for those things. Too many cheifs and not enough indians. I will have one person in upper management tell me to do something one way and then am told by another that I did it wrong. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Very few woman in upper management. That may be because woman are too smart to be as overworked as men will allow. The longer you work and the more you prove yourself, the smaller your yearly raises are.

RSD's need to be over fewer stores so that they are not spread so thin. Quit giving us stupid little certificates for a job well done, instead give us bonuses or prizes.

Worst job I have ever had.

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employee discount. Nothing else to say nice about the job.I can't come up with the 20 words needed to fill in the pro column.

Cons

Woman are treated differently than men and paid less to do the same job. Usually about 20% less. Most people that move up in the company are men...woman are overlooked. Even when the woman do a better job. Lots of favoritism and sexual harassment from upper management. Goals are unrealistic and increase constantly. Many RSD's are overworked and can't do the job they are supposed to. You never get a weekend off and if you have an appointment or plans on your day off and someone calls in sick, you are expected to cancel your plans and cover for them. Small staff, poor pay. You are expected to do EVERYTHING including stripping and waxing the floors, washing windows and cleaning bathrooms. If air conditioning or furnace do not work or water is leaking into the store, it can be months and in some cases years before the company will spend the money to make repairs. No lunch breaks or breaks of any kind. If you have to go to the bathroom you must hold it or try to go as fast as you can between customers. No individuality allowed. Like robots, all customers must be given the same speech...on the phone or in person. Holidays paid for full time employees if you can get anyone else to work. After you have worked for the company for any length of time it is hard to be taken seriously by other companies when looking for a new job. Very little training. Written warnings and the threat of being fired are used as training tools.

Get a clue. If employees were treated well you wouldn't have so much theft and turnover.

GNC Photos