GNC

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.8

Michael Archbold

Pros
  • You get a discount on everything you learn a lot you get to help people make life changing decisions (in 28 reviews)

• Employee discount of 20%, employees are able to work different shifts/have days off for appointments (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • sales goals pressures along with pressures for maintaining normal retail operations (in 54 reviews)

• upper management who are managers with no people skills what so ever (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun and Interesting

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Manitowoc, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Manitowoc, WI

I have been working at GNC

Pros

30% off all products, pretty flexible scheduling, good working environment, you get to learn about so many products, you get samples of many products. You meet a lot of people and get to hear their success stories.

Cons

If you don't know the answer no one's there to assist you, it can be really slow, people treat you like your a doctor or pharmacist..so you have to be careful what you sell. It's a lot of product to learn.

n/a

Gnc

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bridgeport, WV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bridgeport, WV

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

commision is good on certain products.

Cons

not enough hrs available to make good money parttime.

give us more commision ongnc brand

Good

I have been working at GNC

Pros

Nice place to learn about fitness

Cons

None. Good people to learn from

Was with company for 3 years, started as a PT minimum wage moved up to FT store manager. Learned a lot about supplements

Former Employee - GNC Store Manager
    Former Employee - GNC Store Manager

I worked at GNC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Room to grow and move up in the company, commission on certain products, great opportunity to learn about supplements and try them out.

Cons

If working in management it is salary based not hourly meaning you can work 70 hours like I did and you'd be paid for only 40. Company doesn't value employees too much, will move you around or let you go as they please. Upper management pushes it's employees to sell GNC products which do not give you commission.

Try to get into a higher volume store, the slower stores see less customers and sales and don't have as much opportunities to make commission. Build a strong team and hire trustworthy staff.

Don't forget to add a Multi-vitamin

I worked at GNC

Pros

Discounts at store 30%
    Good starting point to build retail experience, if you wish to pursue career in retail.

Cons

Constant demand to sell certain products
    Demand high ratio of items sold per transaction
    Learn to love the word P3.

Part time Sales

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in North Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in North Haven, CT

I worked at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping people meet their health goals, lots of fun if you take supplements yourself, clean work environment. Corporate employees visit you regularly to determine your skills and performance. Commission for part timers, based on promotional items. If you sell well, they take notice.

Cons

Sales are the name of the game, if you don't sell the products the push you will not do well; regardless of the over priced garbage they push as name brand. It seems they prefer to hire outside than to promote from within, despite meeting all sales goals and criteria.

Promote from within and think about your customers, not your name brand.

I had fun and learned a lot.

I worked at GNC part-time

Pros

people, money, fun, friends, family.... discounts

Cons

Work is work... sometimes that cant be helped.

Great Manager, Decent upper management, Horrible revenue model.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kelso, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kelso, WA

I worked at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gain experience in Supplement industry (which are crap and which few might be worth a dollar or two). Bro-out with your customers about protein and "test-boosters"

Cons

Selling of the OMS is a scam and a Joke. I refused to attempt selling most of them because you are selling on false hopes and unstable claims. You are expected to sell multiple vitapaks, OMS, Gold cards and P3's daily even if that means guiding the customer to a product that wont work as well or is overly excessive. I am not about that sort of business.

Get rid of (most) sales pressures, Consider increasing store hours to hire more employees when needed. Pay your employees better so they can stay.

My GNC Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lawton, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lawton, OK

I worked at GNC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at GNC was a great envorinment. I got to learn about all health categories. They pay is very good and inscreases every pay check. the commission can be very high depending on sales.

Cons

You do have to work by yourself so it can be a little boring. Reaching sales goals might not be met from time to time. My manager recommended I be pushy and force a customer into buying something but I simply said no due to the highly side effects and health risks with most of the products.

Overall, it was a good experience. I was happy working there up until the time I moved.

Very boring depending on witch one you work at

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paducah, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paducah, KY

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You make commission. You get a discount on everything you learn a lot you get to help people make life changing decisions.

Cons

You have to work really hard to get good numbers and if you dont have good numbers you lose your job but if you do have good numbers you get nothing in return but keep it up or this could be better you could be ranked 1 In the whole region but that dosent really matter because you don't get anything for busting your butt.

They can be understanding but they can also be very demeaning they will talk down to you a lot.

GNC Photos