GNC Reviews

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014
2.8

Michael Archbold

Pros
  • You learn a lot about the body and health as you go and the place was ran really well (in 27 reviews)

• Employee discount of 20%, employees are able to work different shifts/have days off for appointments (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • sales goals pressures along with pressures for maintaining normal retail operations (in 52 reviews)

• upper management who are managers with no people skills what so ever (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC

I have been working at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Commission, sales, independence, learning, fun

Cons

Sales goals, but they are easy to hit

Hire people who actually are involved in fitness

A good part-time job for students

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Upper Darby, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Upper Darby, PA

I have been working at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is good for busy students or those that are looking for a second job. The schedules are flexible and hours are not bad.

Cons

The environment changes drastically when you work at different locations. It is not good for those who cannot adjust to a changing environment.

So/so

I have been working at GNC

Pros

Compensation if your a good seller

Cons

Base pay stinks. Trying to sell overpriced GNC products

Better base or better commission

You get some bad with the good

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to make commission in retail. You basically get experience running an entire store by yourself even as a part time sales associate. All the stores are understaffed so you can pick up hours at other stores pretty easily if you want them. My store manager is awesome and most of the other managers are great to work for as well. Even the Senior Store Managers are great and very approachable. Plenty of opportunity to advance if your sales numbers are good.

Cons

Working in corporate stores can be stressful due to unrealistic sales goals. They want you to sell tons of GNC products, but you barely get any commission on GNC stuff. The only way to make a lot of money is to sell third-party products, but then you don't hit your sales goals. Also, they (corporate higher-ups like RSD and above) preach about how the customer's needs are so important and to establish trusting relationships with repeat customers, but then go on to explain how we need to be upselling everybody to more expensive products and adding on additional products to increase profit. And to add to it, every month there are sales contests on completely arbitrary products in the store and employees go out of their way to sell these products but actually end up blowing other potential sales in order to do so.

Give more commission on GNC products to motivate employees to sell the GNC brand. Training needs to be more intensive. I definitely learned highly valuable sales skills in my training with my manager and senior store manager, but it only lasted 3 or 4 days. Since then, I haven't had any updates/refreshers in sales training and I wish I could work one on one with a manager like twice a month just to brush up on skills so my approach/pitches don't get stale.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - GNC Sales Associate
    Former Employee - GNC Sales Associate

I worked at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You learn new things everyday. You also get to meet a lot of people and your communication skills will improve.

Cons

A few challenges here is leadership and learning. One must learn a lot about the different products that companies release. Leadership is based on sales, therefore the more you sell, the more you will be noticed.

Its not a bad gig if you can get it

Former Employee - GNC Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - GNC Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at GNC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary wasn't bad after promotional moneys and commissions were considered. It is a fun and competitive environment.

Cons

Sales goals can be really stressful on weeks when customers aren't biting. Also, if you are in a low volume store commissions can vary wildly (I've had weekly commission range from $20-$250). Low volume stores can also be extremely boring. Sometimes only seeing 3-4 customers on an 8 hour shift, with single coverage, which means no breaks, no lunch, and no distractions to break the monotony.

Good Learning Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hamilton, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hamilton, OH

I have been working at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good brick and mortar sales experience, excellent way to learn how to interact with clients and meet quotas

Cons

Working in an industry with very inflated prices and mixed results, sometimes hard to sell products

lower prices in order to be able to compete with online stores.

Retail Life

Current Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Interesting products
    -Chance to make lots of PM

Cons

-unrealistic sales expectations
    -They force you to sell specific products that may or may not be right for the consumer

None

Part-time employee fired for lack of enthusiasm

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Martinez, GA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Martinez, GA

I worked at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great, flexible part-time pay if you know how to sell health products. Nice employee discount. My manager was really nice & encouraging. Potential to be promoted to assistant store manager or store manager if you do good & everyone likes you.

Cons

Way too many responsibilities expected of a single employee for minimum wage. Many times I got stuck opening/closing store by myself after only working there a few weeks. I am one who likes to follow the rules, but one little girl is going to get a little frazzled trying to run an entire GNC by herself. It was ridiculous. During one of my peak times, alone in the store with customers I get a phone call from a regional store manager who decides its the perfect time for me to take 10 min to listen to her speech about our $1 donations to some cancer society. Well she felt I wasn't enthusiastic enough about these donations and was offended I was too busy braid friendship bracelets with her so she had my manager fire me.

I noticed some of your employees/management at the Augusta mall are addicted not only to cigarettes but to those oxy drugs you sell & they looked sickly like crack addicts.

Greatest Company in the industry!!! (Particularly Franchises)

Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Quality control: over 200 quality checks for consumer safety and guaranteed potency (This could explain why hundreds of products never make it to GNC shelves) . Innovative: constantly bringing to light new companies and revolutionary health, fitness and beauty products. Work for Franchise you will be much happier, creative flexibility pricing an customer service is far better.

Cons

Salary, I've worked for both Corporate and Franchise GNC..My salary was better at corporate but the stress and demands are greater. Franchise is wonderful but as a manager there will be no room to advance. :) things to ponder...Dozens of competitive, innovative and revolutionary products that never make it to GNC shelves...possibly quality control?

GNC Photos