GNC Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.8

Michael Archbold

Pros
  • You learn a lot about the body and health as you go and the place was ran really well (in 27 reviews)

• Employee discount of 20%, employees are able to work different shifts/have days off for appointments (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • sales goals pressures along with pressures for maintaining normal retail operations (in 49 reviews)

• upper management who are managers with no people skills what so ever (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

good learning experience

Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at GNC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

training and sales skill building

Cons

Corporate disconnect and huge emphasis on sales goals without any benefit of reaching them other than job security and harsh lecturing when performance is not incredibly high in one area.

Value employees more and become more conscious of ego issues and power trips.

Great job, good benefits

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and coworkers are great in my department. You get a 30% discount on purchases in the stores. Paid time off.

Cons

It is a very "corporate" company... almost more like a bureaucracy at times. There's a lot of friction between departments and people spend more time playing CYA than solving problems.

Needs more open communication between departments and to foster a less adversarial approach to interdepartmental relations.

GNC Work Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work part-time at GNC while I go to school full-time. The managers I've worked for are usually younger and friendly they tend to be very flexible with scheduling and will work around what you have going on in your life. You can make decent money if you are good at selling, plus you get really good product discounts. You also will get sample boxes from different reps so more free stuff is always good. If you are looking to go into a sales profession it is a good starting point for learning how to do personal selling. Overall it is a good college job, but I would not want to make a career of it.

Cons

Some of the sales goals are laughably unrealistic. Managers and higher ups will yell at you about low numbers, which can be an added stress that some people can not afford. The training is almost non-existent they basically work with you for three shifts and then you are on your own. It can get very boring because you usually work by yourself, I typically work for 6 hours and see about 10 customers, so prepare to be playing on your phone for a while. It is hard to keep good numbers and make good money with commission. Typically you will either make decent money and have a low employee ranking or you will make just a little above minimum wage and have a great employee ranking. Overall if you can't afford another worry in life GNC is not the place for you because they put heavy emphasis on your numbers.

Connect more with you managers. In my area the Regional Sales Director is very distant from employees and when he talks to them he is very condescending. Sometimes as a sales associate I feel very disconnected from the company I would be much more willing to make a better effort at sales numbers if I got complimented, but I only here from management if I am doing something wrong. It is important for the managers to trust the RSD and in my situation I believe there is a disconnect between them.

Good start to sales

I have been working at GNC part-time

Pros

Great start for a sales career, good for college students,

Cons

-Much of the products you must sell do not have as much commission as the products you do not need to sell

Pay isn't much for what you're required to do.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

30% employee discount
    Pages holidays (although we're always short staffed so I can't even take off)
    Pages vacation (that you can't use because there's no staff)

Cons

Never staffed
    Requires new staff to learn a lot of material in a short period with minimal pay on expertise.
    Poor pay, This year I received no sick pay...
    Also, I haven't gotten my yearly raise yet neither, 2 months+ overdue

Pay more per hour especially stores that are Segment B, and C.
    Commission rates in poor demographic stores make only $5-20 average a whole day.

meet sales quotas to keep your job not for more money

Current Employee - GNC Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - GNC Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

not much work except talking to people and pushing GNC products.

Cons

min wage for sales associates. only 3rd party has any promotional money but u are just supposed to sell GNC brand which have no PM. and unless u are a assistant manager or manager u dont make any commission on products

dear CEO, cutting sales associates commission % doesn't count as increasing profits for the company

Good place to work

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If supplements are of interest to you, you'll be around them constantly. There is a lot of opportunity to learn more if you have the right manager. A lot of the people that work at GNC really DO know what they are talking about. The scheduling is also flexible.

Cons

Meeting the sales goals is impossible some months. When 2% of stores are reaching goal, there is something wrong.

There needs to be a better connection between the sales-associate and upper-level management.

My expierence at GNC has been challenging and rewarding.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GNC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a challenging but rewarding job. Flexible schedule with solid pay. Great benefits and vacation time...great employee discount

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals, high pressure sales tactics, very low payroll ladder, Pay should be higher to equate for the amount of work put in, no overtime allowed, training

GNC's local management in the Baltimore area is second to none.

Former Employee - Sales Representative/Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Representative/Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The amount of responsibility granted to the employee gives you the creativity to leave your impression upon not just the customers, but management and the GNC community in general.

Cons

Just like any other job, it requires your precious time and effort. For instance, most GNC retail stores operate from 10 AM to 9 PM.

The more freedom given to local management the better, as store promotions and deals generate more customer interest.

High pressure, low payoff.

Former Employee - Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at GNC full-time

Pros

If you like constantly cleaning and extremely high-pressure sales goals you will love GNC.

Cons

High pressure for sales, you may be let go very quickly if you dont maintain very difficult sales goals every day. The corporate and RSD's lie about everything. The company is pretty much full of it in every respect. If you dont believe me you will after working here for 6 months. Get used to cutbacks on commission and benefits as well.

They know what they do. pay your employees better, stop lying.

GNC Photos