www.gnc.com
Employer Engaged

Overall , great experience

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at GNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great people, competitive atmosphere, rewards skill and effort.

Cons

Constant nagging from upper management on sales goals

Put the right people in the right position. Just because someone has worked there for a good amount of time doesn't make them a good manager.

I work part time and really enjoy engaging customers.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at GNC

Pros

-Decent Pay depending on your sales
    -Nice Employee discount
    -Great Training program

Cons

-Required numbers to hit each month mean selling the not as good product

Hard to sell to customers when competition sells same product for a lot less

Horrible company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GNC part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get the right manager you can get to set your own schedule.

Cons

Slow
    do not care about there employees
    they can care less about the customers
    get paid commission and need to meet your KPI's (or no bonuses, no commission)
    they will not give you full time so they do not have to pay for your benifits
    30 plus hours is full tie they will only allow management to give you 29 hours most.

choose people who actually have potential to manage. you guys take anyone and everyone in to work and even more people to manage a store who doesn't know right from left.
    Abussive management who thinks thy can tell you what you want and comment on any aspect of your life , when they are worse off than you. very imperfessional.

Lied to About Pay--W4 Forged

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Suwanee, GA

I worked at GNC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I quit before I could be robbed of more money.

Cons

I was told I would receive $8.00 an hour. And yet somehow I was only paid a pitiful 7.25 an hour. Also, I was never allowed to fill out a W4--the store owner took that responsibility on himself, which I'm pretty sure is illegal. I would report this company to the IRS and sue over my stolen pay, but unfortunately I can't afford court costs and a lawyer, so I'm stuck merely attempting to let others know of the unethical practices of this company--particularly the stores in the north-Atlanta metro: Cumming, Suwanee, Flowery Branch, Buford GA. Avoid these stores unless you're into tax fraud and not getting paid what you've earned.

Pay your employees what you owe them.

I have been working at GNC

Pros

Very few pros to working here.

Cons

Terrible job and management treats people badly.

Started off well, then company became greedy

Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive, helping people, get to know your customers, pretty much your own boss, hire your own employees, make your own schedule, commission.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care. They tell you it's all about the customer and to make sure they're happy while the employees get dumped on from the customers and upper management.

Upper management doesn't understand what it's like to be forced to produce in this economy. While they tell you to get the customer what they want they also want you to push things on them they don't need in order to hit "numbers" such as theridiculously over priced chews that are low in clinical amounts and sometimes a dollar a chew, but you have to sell a minimum of 9% on all transactions. They also want you to have a certain amout of membership card sales which is difficult if you are in an area where most people already have one.

Their ideas of "training" are to shove useless amounts of papers at you to read expecting you to retain information that ends up changing in a month or 2 with papers and posters and fliers getting lost in piles.

When your review for the year comes up don't expect a big raise... the most you can get is 5% on salary which no one ever gets. You are usually getting 2-3% and after being a manager for 5 years may only be $600 "raise" for the entire year.

If your employees and managers aren't happy your customers aren't happy! Instead of focusing on what vitapak drive you should be shoving down customers throats you should look at what Vitamin Shoppe did to their managers and pay is well. We are the life line to the cucustomer. Not the RSD not the DSD and not the CEO. Without use your company would cease to exist. GNC needs a union. Over worked and under paid. This job used to mean something. Now employees feel like our company doesn't care about employees only profits. Take a page out of your own book you've written and live by the "golden rule" come down here and do a promo or change out over 2,000 allocation tags by hand while having to hire, train and schedule associates. Tell me how easy it is to get Quest bar customers (who only come in for bars and nothing else) to buy a $75 vitapak or $80 protein.

Starting PT Sales, promoted to Assistant Manager, then Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promotional Monies, Positive coworkers, free samples, employee discount

Cons

extremely low manager wage compensation, limited opportunity to move up in the company beyond store manager

When a region/city minimum wage changes, immediately reassure the management that their pay will be increased as well. Take advantage of the talent you have, and promote from within. That creates positive work environment and loyalty to the company. Do not sacrifice commission percentages of managers to retain PTSAs. Managers are what hold the stores in place, not the replaceable help.

This job paid the bills while I was in school.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on supplements if you like working out.

Cons

Corporate oversight can be frustrating. Lack of ability to make your own decisions. Moving around items and prices for no apparent reason was tedious. District supervisors had no idea what they were talking about when it came to products.

Let your employees make their own decisions and ease off on the oversight. Some oversight is good, but making a phone call a day or addressing every tiny mistake an employee makes does not keep morale high.

Sale

I have been working at GNC

Pros

Great job if you are a college student because the company gives the employees a lot of free time.

Cons

Pay isn't too good. Managers are not organize. Too much micro manage. The discount isn't good only 30 percent off. The company is too focus on numbers/ making the sale.

It's good for experience

I have been working at GNC

Pros

Interacting with people and gaining management experience

Cons

Pay is awful, it's a shame that McDonald's managers get paid better than us

Pay your managers better