GNC Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. GNC

I worked at GNC full-time

Pros

Focus on health, free samples of protein and supplements, I worked in a franchise and was able to run the store how I liked...no pushy selling.

Cons

Crap pay, worked lots of overtime for no pay but that was my choice to make sure the store ran smoothly.

Advice to Management

No room to grow in a franchise beyond manager, after a while it becomes mind numbing.

2. waste of time no room to grow

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GNC part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

easy scheduling, store closes early, not dirty work

Cons

unorganized management, micromanaged, lots of "busy" work, sales goals are outrages (less than 10% company wide meets them), they want you to use "hard sales" tactics when this is a job that requires "soft sales", the balance of pay is horrible store mangers are making less that 36k a year

Advice to Management

redo your whole set up and consider less sales goals more customer relationships

3. Sales Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Villa Hills, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Villa Hills, KY

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great way to get experience selling and getting comfortable with communicating one on one with customers. Commission is a plus as well.

Cons

Not enough hourly and if you don't have enough customers it can get boring.

5. Sale Rep

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

i learned a lot about getting and staying fit and healthy from the inside out. the product are awesome and the 40% discount is a perk.

Cons

pay is not very well. you are over worked and under paid with no benefits. they only offer part time hrs and in the end you will not be appreciated.

Advice to Management

show that you care more for your employees. higher pay and benefits would be nice .

6. Mgr

Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at GNC full-time

Pros

Good at first but not enough training

Cons

Dont care for good employees

Advice to Management

Take care of your good managers they may stay longer and work harder

7. Good overall

Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at GNC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for a franchisee and was treated very well. You learn all about the intricacies of the business from customer service, payroll, order procurement and overall running a business effectively.

Cons

Corporate stores pushing products for commission often came back into our stores to be returned due to them not being a good fit for the customer.

Advice to Management

Listen to the Franchisees', get out of your corporate offices and into stores more often.

8. Horrible; lying company

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Arlington, TX

I worked at GNC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

30% discount of products. (Even though it's off the regular price, not membership).

Cons

Oh gosh, where do I start... The hiring process was easy. They saw my background and realized that I'm in school for kinesiology, so my product knowledge and customer service wasn't a problem. Of course I knew I'd have to get better at selling, but that's ALL they care about. I watched my manager sell all types of crap to an old lady, who didn't need half of it - but we were in a contest so she pushed as much as she can. Managers have no regard for their part-timers. Sorry you're a 35 year old woman with no education, but this is a part-time job for me while I'm in school, only a year from graduation. I was expected to jump through hoops, get last minute texts to come to work if she wanted to leave early. And talk about unprofessional... Store had 4 keys, and 3 people working. But only 2 keys were given out and I was expected to open the store, stay for an hour, and then come back to lock up for the other part-timer almost everyday. So rude, so inconsiderate, and she needs to go though training again.

Advice to Management

To the SSM, if you're keeping your manager but have seen issues arise with part-timers, don't lie to part-timers about the situation.

Worst Retail Job Ever

I worked at GNC part-time

Pros

You get to learn about supplements and nutrition. Sometimes you can get free samples of the latest supplements to try. -You can get promotional money based on certain items that you sell.

Cons

-Minimum wage -Commission based, so everyone is too competitive and jumps on customers -The company really doesn't care about their employees. -Ridiculous sales goals -too much pressure -very stressful if sales goals aren't met - associates will try to fight over customers -

Sales associate

I worked at GNC part-time

Pros

Good commission if you can sell

Cons

Part time but was forced to work 39 hours a week, hard to take off, missed a lot of family events

Advice to Management

Carry more than 3 people at a store so you can allow employees to take off

11. great company to start with

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of support from management in my region. Was great to learn the ins and out of the business from good managers. You get quick feed back from customers when you help them. Decent discounts.

Cons

Depending on the store commissions can be minimal. It really depended on the number of people walking through the door. You had to decide between making money and helping the customer.

RSS Feed </> Embed