GNC Reviews

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014
2.8

Michael Archbold

Pros
  • You learn a lot about the body and health as you go and the place was ran really well (in 27 reviews)

• Employee discount of 20%, employees are able to work different shifts/have days off for appointments (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • sales goals pressures along with pressures for maintaining normal retail operations (in 52 reviews)

• upper management who are managers with no people skills what so ever (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible upper management

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at GNC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved some of the other managers in my region, they were helpful and made great friends.

Cons

Upper management has unrealistic expectations and claims that "if you don't hit goals, you aren't trying." Part time employees are also likely to call out on very short notice so you are always responsible for being on call.

Quit and maybe I'll come back.

horrible

I worked at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

nothing. well you are garanteed 29 hours of work a week. that is the only good thing.

Cons

sucks. worst experience ever. dont do it to yourself. it is annoying. you have to lie to customers.

There are better retail store manager position

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

30 percent off all supplements

Cons

Little pay for a lot of work.

None.

Really GNC?

Former Employee - GNC Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - GNC Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at GNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learning that I could use my social skills to improve my confidence and salesmanship. Great way to make friends and meet new people.

Cons

Ha. Really guys? Of course your experiences at franchise locations are going to be much different than the corporate stores. Was overworked underpaid I bent over backwards for this company rised thru the ranks until a senior store manager. I parted with this company because of how RSD's, DSD's, DVP's treated their employees. Of course I was treated well by the big dogs of the company when they came to visit my concept store in Mooresville, NC. I was a top salesman for this company for the entire 3 yrs. I was there as a 'reward' for this they cut our quarterly bonuses UNLESS you were a top 500 store. Great work GNC, great work. Keep it up and you will

Treat your managers with respect and/or sales associates with respect. They are the ones who make the money in your stores not the RSD's/DSD's/DVD's. They push the managers and associates to make the stores money. They are not selling on the floors like managers/associates are!!

I worked at GNC

Pros

Easy hire
    fun environment to help people. A lot of locations to chose from. Discounts on product if you work out.

Cons

Company Support
    Bonus structure
    Time
    Management taking the time to train employees

Terrible corperate culture

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Granger, IN
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Granger, IN

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good discounts on products if your into fitness yourself, it can also be rewarding to really help a customer get products that help them achive better results.

Cons

Poor culture among upper managment, a constant game of politics and favorites. Managment beyond the store level is less interested in the companies vision and mission and more interested in promoting themselves as individuals.

RSD and DDSM positions need to spend far more time in-store to better understand the needs and wants of both employees and customers.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director

I worked at GNC full-time

Pros

-great promotion potential from associate to regional level (though this is due to high turnover at all levels)
    -excellent training from vendors on 3rd party items and free gifts to try out new products
    -opportunity to gain a lot of health and product knowledge

Cons

-because they promote from within, they lowball on salary so someone doing the same job could be paid $15-$20k more than you
    -the culture is high pressure, high stress, burn you out and find the next young buck to take your place....trust me, there is always someone else willing to take the job at low pay to get the experience on the resume
    -too many sales metrics...isn't the object to make money?

Lets make money, we all know that's the goal, sell gnc brand and increase the basket size, and don't anger the customers by trying to sell very specific items to make a sales goal! The customers coming back (BLY) should be top priority and the rest simplified. I believe in the multivitamins here but wont even shop here for other things unless I need vitamins because I feel bad for the poor associate that gets in trouble for not making his goals....

Good paying job with astronomical sales expectations

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Niles, OH

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The ability to move up in this company is great depending on if you are willing to relocate. It provides a good health insurance plan with great benefits. Flexible schedule as well unless you are a store manager. It is good pay if you work in a high traffic store because then you can make lots of commission. Then it is very rigid. However, a lot of these pros depend on the people that you work with. Especially with management. It's very structured to where if your boss wants something done but doesn't make sense, you have to do it anyways.

Cons

The cons are almost everything. The hours drag, almost everywhere has bad leadership simply because you have to hit astronomically high sales goals. It's like climbing a ladder that never ends. This makes selling extremely stressful. I've seen employees outright lie to their customers to sell a product just to hit sales goals just so they didn't lose their job.

I would suggest lowering sales goals opportunities. Make small goals for workers and reward them when they hit them. Make sure they know they are doing good work so they value going into work everyday rather than dreading it.

Awesome first sales job

I have been working at GNC

Pros

Learn sales. Stores are fun to work in.

Cons

Lots if sales goals. Must be able to handle pressure

Be careful in changeing priorities so often. Makes stores feel you are not certain about what you are doing.

Store management is amazing & like family. Corporate management... Not so much

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Coworkers help each other out with duties, sharing commissions, and sales. I have interacted with a lot of managers and all were amazing

Cons

Corporate! Unreasonable expectations. Benefits are not as good as they should be. Entirely too much pressure on small stores they hardly have any staffing hours

When doing store visits, corporate is so rude! They make everyone feel like idiots that can't do their job!

GNC Photos