GNC

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
2.8

Michael Archbold

Pros
  • You learn a lot about the body and health as you go and the place was ran really well (in 27 reviews)

• Employee discount of 20%, employees are able to work different shifts/have days off for appointments (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • sales goals pressures along with pressures for maintaining normal retail operations (in 52 reviews)

• upper management who are managers with no people skills what so ever (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Experience at GNC

I have been working at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

commission if you're a manager or pms(basically commission off of 3rd party products)
    social job, talking and interacting with all customers
    little to no chores

Cons

you have to be at a busy store to make sales or money
    youre forced to sell certain products as your quota that more often then not do not pay you
    minimum wage otherwise

stop forcing your employees to sell things that are pointless and expensive (chews, theyre filled with terrible ingredients, expensive and the pill substitutes that are the same in quantity are cheaper and healthier)
    put pms on sales we're supposed to make/pay more

Great learning experience while working retail

I worked at GNC

Pros

My boss was in training for nursing school, and the combination of his training and knowledge of nutrition made this a very educational experience.

Cons

Having to meet certain sales targets every month for oddball things was not very appealing. And some of the other employees I worked with (same hierarchy level) were not necessarily the greatest people. But I'm sure that was more because of the area and education required for the role.

Sales Person

Current Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX

I have been working at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Now I work for a Franchise location in Texas so my experience maybe a little different so...
    Great way to interact with local population, Awesome staff, Manager is well educated in Sports Nutrition, Manager interact very friendly and professionally with staff and customers.
    Great place to work if your well versed in fitness, weight training, and health. Pay fluctuates per person and outgoingness to sell. Hours quite flexible as well as consistent.

Cons

I currently have nothing to say in terms of cons. I really enjoy the work and the staff. I guess the only con i could really have would be a little under staffed. Obviously thats a not a huge issue.

Keep up the good work!

Great at first.

I have been working at GNC part-time

Pros

Good pay even part timers. great for a student. with the commissions you make great pay checks as long as you work 20 to 30 hours.

Cons

Two faced company tells you to help and do for customers and get what they want. but the undertone is sell gnc products .your always under pressure to hit goals that are sometimes unreachable .

the company could be better, much better

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Manassas, VA

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discounts on products. Opportunity to learn more about vitamins and herbs and other supplements that benefit health.

Cons

KPIs KPIs KPIs! Minimum sales dollars in certain areas are hard to hit, and it's ALL about the $$$, especially for GNC products.

Provide more specific, in-person training! Don't count returns against someone's sales dollars who didn't sell the product being returned! You get what you pay for (low-level wages=low-level employees)!

Rewarding but Stressful

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people better their health.
    Learning about the health industry. Not only supplements, but other ways to stay healthy such as exercise routines.
    Working with a leading dietary supplement company. GNC does a fantastic job creating their product lines.
    Building customer relationships.

Cons

Small room for growth.
    Stressful sales quotas and tactics.
    Training is spotty.

Revisit the ancient sales tactics used.

GNC doesn't care about what the customer wants, only about meeting sale quotas for arbitrary products.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at GNC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good part time job to have while you're in school, because the hours can be flexible (depends on the store). if it's a store located in a busy area, you can make good commission. You get a good employee discount.

Cons

They force you push the GNC products down people's throats and you have to meet unrealistic quotas daily, before being able to sell the products that will make you commission. They get rid of people for absolutely no reason and out of nowhere. You have random people from corporate coming in for the entire day, and usually they're not very pleasant people to be around. They don't pay very much.

You should consider having your employees actually help the customer find what they need, instead of forcing them to sell products to the customers that they don't need, just to meet your daily quotas. If you expect your employees to do so much, you should pay them more.

Fun environment

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Arcadia, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Arcadia, CA

I worked at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

adequate commission rates and good work environment

Cons

can involve very tedious work; constantly cleaning and checking expiration dates

Fun environment!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sherman, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sherman, TX

I worked at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discounts on quality products. The people you work with and for are all focused on the same goals - helping people succeed in their health goals.

Cons

The requirement to sell a certain amount of GNC products even though there is a better quality product that could benefit the patron more.

Educate the people better -- training can be lacking.

Only work at GNC if last resort

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Miami, FL

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers and franchisees are what make it tolerable to work at GNC. The 30% discount is just OK. The mark ups are huge so 30% is cheap.

Cons

Senior Management is absolutely terrible. I know because I was an executive. They promote people that have been in place for a long time - sort of a good ole boys club, or they promote the jack wagon that kissed someone's behind instead of the person who earned the position. I saw this happen twice. If I was the person who was screwed over by a good ole boy or behind kisser I would have left.

New CEO Mike - don't trust anyone at first. Make them earn it. Get rid of the good ole boys and staff yourself with people that have the drive and passion to take GNC back to where the shareholders need GNC to be for the next 5-10 years.

GNC Photos