GNC

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
2.8

Michael Archbold

Pros
  • You get a discount on everything you learn a lot you get to help people make life changing decisions (in 28 reviews)

• Employee discount of 20%, employees are able to work different shifts/have days off for appointments (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • sales goals pressures along with pressures for maintaining normal retail operations (in 54 reviews)

• upper management who are managers with no people skills what so ever (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work.

I worked at GNC

Pros

Loved the commission based structure.

Cons

Work by yourself can get boring.

More education of the team.

Nice place to work.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Lemoore Nas, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Lemoore Nas, CA

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get commission on top of your base pay.

Cons

Not easy to advance because people like their job. Hitting indicators can be trying sometimes.

Started great, ended bad.

I worked at GNC

Pros

Great pay for few hours. Worked 22-25 hours a week on a set schedule I had worked out with my manager. Responsibilities in the work place were also great. They give you keys to the store and also have you run the place during shifts by yourself. Customers were cool, and you make promotional money off 3rd party products which rounded my set pay of 8 dollars an hour up to about 16 an hour due to my ability to sell products and the business of our store.

Cons

Very corporate. The company stresses you to sell GNC brand products to customers who don't want them. Even after offering a GNC brand product to a customer who wants something that it may cater to, but turns it down, you're still expected to sell the product beyond your own ability. Management is very 2 faced. I got fired after running flawless shifts, and making great money for the company sales wise. They fired me for "disorderly conduct in the work place", saying that I was suspected of having people in the store after hours. When I told them to check the cameras to verify this statement, they simply said that corporate had already done that, but wouldn't tell my management what they had seen. Needless to say I was fired for absolutely no reason.

Former associate to major market RSD

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in New York, NY

I worked at GNC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You create your own destiny with your work and sales performance at a store level. Fun industry helping people live a healthier life.

Cons

Absolutely horrible upper management from the DSD's, DVP's and up. Nothing is ever good enough, they dont care about managers and associates. Believe me I know, I was an RSD for over 10 years. The pressure to sell a chewable OMS or collect a donation for breast cancer is immense. Along with the 12 other KPI's they track. I loved GNC for 15 years until they went public than it all changed. Its a very threatening environment where your constantly fearing for your job.

All upper management has recently changed so there may be a glimmer of hope. Treat everyone fairly, stop hyper focusing on rankings and provide a sense of job security to your team.

Great idea, terrible execution

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at GNC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun and healthy atmosphere with decent pay when used accordingly.

Cons

Their pay structure is based on base pay plus commission. The problem with that is the products commission is earned on are usually things like "Fat Cutter Extreme" or "Get Huge Like Arnold Pills." AKA items that 95% of the population doesn't need or want and the products aren't FDA approved. So here you have a HEALTH company selling UNHEALTHY products to people who don't need it and are thus hurting themselves in the process.

Drop the commission pay and pay better right off the bat. Focus on consumer health.

A good place to start exercising your sales skills and experience.

I have been working at GNC

Pros

Good sales training and good flexibility in college

Cons

Low compensation for anyone over the age of 21

You wear many hats.

Former Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Ashtabula, OH
    Former Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Ashtabula, OH

I worked at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The great thing about being a GNC sales associate is you get to wear many hats. I wan't a manager, but I had keys to the store. I would do the paperwork and drop the bank deposit off at the end of the night. I got to see how the organization ran as a whole. I also was the cashier. I was the floor sales rep and product expert. I did shelf blocking and assisted with inventory. It's good position for learning the basics of retail.

Cons

It's a smaller store. You don't get the experience of a big retail store. The pros can turn into cons when it's extremely busy depending on how you look at it. It can be a fast paced environment at times. You could be one of the only associates in the store. You must be able to multi-task and take care of multiple consumers.

I thought the management at GNC were actually very professional.

ok

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at GNC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ok to work for starting

Cons

pressure, plus commission is limited

Job is fun lot but the sales goals are not.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun job. Meet cool clients even pro athletes.

Cons

Sales goal numbers can be crazy depending on franchise owner. As corporate is just as bad. Confusing sales and can be annoying old ppl.

Make the prices more simple and with some consistency.

Terrible management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Occasional free samples of products
    -If a smaller store, you get to work by yourself

Cons

-Insane quotas. If you do not meet them, you are reprimanded, even if there are very few customers.
    -Upper management treats lower employees very badly. The pressure is insane. In every conference call, which was mandatory to all employees, the regional managers would call out random employees to ask them why they did not meet the weekly quota.
    -Ridiculous busy work. The "planograms", or the order in which the products were put on the shelves, were changed every few weeks. It was completely unnecessary.
    -Very difficult to move up to manager (which I have been told makes only a couple bucks more than regular employees, who get minimum wage).
    -Manager's commissions have gone WAY down in the year I worked with them, which is a big chunk of their low earnings. Very selfish.

Stop treating your employees like rubbish! And stop with the frequent planogram changes. Customers have complained to me numerous times because they can't find their usual products. Also, do not make employees call in to a conference call on a day that they do not work, and not pay them. That is ILLEGAL.

GNC Photos