GNC Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Love my job. Doesn't pay enough though

Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Phoenixville, PA
    Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Phoenixville, PA

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my job. Actually like getting up and going to work.

Cons

Doesn't pay enough at all for the amount of work you do.

Advice to Management

Need to pay employees and managers more. High turn over rate, always short with staff which puts stress on the managers. If you want good people the pay for employees and managers needs to go up.

2. Senior Store Manager

I worked at GNC full-time

Pros

Very little....was left to work independently for the most part.

Cons

Unreal hours and goal expectations. Poor pay for employees under me so high turnover.

Advice to Management

Pay according to job description and offer full time employment with benefits to average sales associates again. Put the old commission program back into effect for all GNC brand merchandise.

3. Sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at GNC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work isn't too difficult. Sales are fun if you're into it, discount is good if you like supplements

Cons

Corporate pushes sales numbers too hard, overdoes it. Gets boring on slower days, pay is minimum wage

Okay company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ

I worked at GNC (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool coworkers and small commissions

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals, pressure from corporate, lame commission system

Advice to Management

None

6. Nutrition consultant

Former Employee - Nutrition Consultant in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Nutrition Consultant in Enfield, CT

I worked at GNC (More than a year)

Pros

Good commission and meeting new customers. Product knowledge

Cons

Trashy managers. Unprofessional. Unfit. Greedy for sales.....

Advice to Management

Hire descent people....horrible ...they will fire you for almost anything and they are liars ( upper management)

Great Company!

Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Suffolk, VA
    Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Suffolk, VA

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GNC gave me a chance even though I had zero sales experience and my customer service experience was from 6 years before. Advancement can happen quickly if there's positions available. I interviewed for management after 2 months of working and was promoted 3 months after that. Everything the regional manager said he would do for me, happened quickly.

Cons

Unorganized pricing system. Price changes happen once or twice a month. Also every month the pricing department makes hundreds of errors and it makes customers upset with us even though it's not our fault. Also different stores have different products and if your store is not open to that product, you can not get it.

Advice to Management

Open all skus to every store so customers looking for certain products do not have to travel or order online.

Decent pay but an unprofessional and stressful place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Providence, RI

Pros

Good pay, especially in high volume stores Flexible Hours Enjoyable coworkers

Cons

Unprofessional environment, incompetent management, and poor training. This is a high stress job where numbers mean everything. Employees lie to customers and attempt to manipulate numbers in order to meet sales goals. Managers are expected to work over 40 hours. Managers get payed half time after 40 hours, so if you make 12 an hour you will then make six. Harassment is not uncommon in the workplace by upper management. Sales associates are treated like garbage and there is a high turnover rate in the company.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to make changes from the top. Promo is ridiculous and needs more double coverage in order to get it done. Scare tactics used by upper management and loss prevention also cause employee resentment and high turnover.

9. Solid Company to Work For

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsport, PA

I worked at GNC (More than a year)

Pros

You get to help people achieve their health and fitness goals, as well as gaining valuable sales experience. Another pro is that there is a commission system in place so you can earn more than your base wage.

Cons

Sales goals can be stressful, RSD's and managers can sometimes be overbearing if you are under the wrong ones.

10. Below average

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn alot about fitness and nutrition. You get to interact with people from all walks of life and have the opportunity to make new friends.

Cons

The pay is horrible, especially at franchise stores like where I work. I don't know about all franchises, but we do not have the opportunity to earn commission. In addition, there are no benefits like sick days, vacation days, 401k, medical/dental. And you seriously expect good people to stick around! GNC corporate constantly sends busy work like planograms. Oh my the planograms! Absolutely a ridiculous waste of time and they expect everything to be done in unreasonable timeframes. The store changes required every two months are asinine. Also, the people responsible for playing planogram reshuffle at corporate headquarters have a useless job that infuriates employees and annoys customers because they can no longer find items without hunting for 10 extra minutes! No music allowed in the store makes the environment bland and boring. I have heard several customers comment on this. As an employee it can be mind numbingly boring due to low stimulation. The whole atmosphere in a gnc store is terrible. Terrible decor, no music...basically no fun allowed. The problem with places like GNC is they want knowledgeable, fit, educated and attractive people for a near poverty price. You will never retain quality people without showing a little gratitude and going above and beyond for your employees. I don't care if the national minimum wage is $8 or whatever. Show that GNC is better than that! If your competition pays managers $25k on average, start your managers at $35k or better to show that you care. The discount is so-so especially when your prices are already much higher than numerous internet sites. One more thing, most GNC branded products are nothing special. The only products possibly worth a premium are the GNC Beyond Raw products. Finally, offering "sales" by raising prices $20 above normal and offering half off on the 2nd item is a joke. A true sale is if an item is normally $49.99, you lower it to $39.99 and still offer half off on the 2nd item.

Advice to Management

Read my cons post to see all of my advice to management.

Inefficient and depressing

Current Employee - GNC Store Manager
    Current Employee - GNC Store Manager

I have been working at GNC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moving away from a strong emphasis on key performance indicators, other than increasing profits over the previous year (less nit picky). There are some products that go on sale occasionally, if you buy in to any of the propaganda that the company espouses, with your employee discount you can keep an eye on desirable items.

Cons

Unbelievably nonreactive to customer and employee complaints. Systems in place are antiquated and desperately need updating. Never have I witnessed such glaring issues with the aptly named POS that show no hope of even marginal improvement. Overwhelming amount of paperwork that often isn't considered or utilized by upper management. Base pay is not a livable income when customer counts drop or when 'promotional money' products disappear. Expectations to run the store in the absence of an increasing customer count or high demand for products with commission are far too high for what GNC pays a base salary. There appears to be a culture of towing the party line without disruptions. Many of the claims made by studies GNC cites are unavailable. Not only should they be readily available to the staff but also to the public for independent verification. With recent issues with content verification on labels of products, we should also be able to verify what the company claims their uses to be are also accurate. In the end, a lot of it seems like snake oil.

Advice to Management

Reach out more to front line employees and customers, rely less on middle management to relay any useful data on day to day operations beyond profit/loss margins. Increase training to a more academic level instead of remedial elementary school multiple choice lessons. Educate your staff to understand the complexity of the human body, and reward them with a higher salary. Make their job easier by only carrying quality products that are third party, independently verified to contain the ingredients they claim and that those ingredients are scientifically proven to work and that those studies are abiding by scientifically sound methods.

RSS Feed </> Embed