GNC Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
2.8

Michael Archbold

Pros
  • You learn a lot about the body and health as you go and the place was ran really well (in 27 reviews)

• Employee discount of 20%, employees are able to work different shifts/have days off for appointments (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • sales goals pressures along with pressures for maintaining normal retail operations (in 49 reviews)

• upper management who are managers with no people skills what so ever (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible

Former Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK

I worked at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Got to help customers strive towards their goals.

Cons

Upper management only cares about sales and not their staff.
    Even if your sales are amazing, the don't give you credit they tell you, "you can do better."
    Horrible hours, and scheduling sucks.
    They hire people who aren't even physical fit, and have a passion for the environment.

fix everything

Sales

Former Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - GNC Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discounts on Products
    Easy work
    Learning about products
    Interacting with Customers

Cons

Pressure to sale items to only benefit GNC
    Getting talked down to by upper managment
    Horrible Pay and Commission
    Regional Managers that talk down to yoy,

Better communication
    Don't talk down and make them sell useless GNC products.
    Better pay, Minimum wage and lousy commission

SALES STORE MANAGER

Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - GNC Store Manager in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GNC is a company that cares about their employees. Because it's the people that work for GNC that make a difference. They are always coming up with new ways to improve our sales and customer service skills.
    I LOVE "Order Control Department"
    I LOVE some of the HELP DESK people! My favorites are: Shawn and Betty-Ann!
    I LOVE Laurie in "RECORDS"
    I LOVE my DELIVERY DRIVER" who drops off my shipment.
    I LOVE "GRAPHICS DEPT" they always send me my signage within days.
    I LOVE my "SALES ASSOCIATE" Josh! He always works so hard and is great with our customers.
    I LOVE my CUSTOMERS! They always make my day.
    I am lucky to work for GNC. I am PROUD to be an GNC employee!

Cons

My only complaint is: Wish we could have 2 people work together everyday. It is difficult for a store manager to do sales and operations within 40 hr work week. I wish all store managers could have an Assistant Manager for 40 hours a week.
    I wish our salaries were increased.
    I wish our HEALTH BENEFITS co-pay's were $0.00
    I wish that PART-TIME EMPLOYEE's were allowed to work 40 hours a week.

I wish Upper Management would ask Store Managers - how they could make our jobs easier. Offer more promotions to store managers. Increase salary and PM's. Have us work 8 hours a day and allow us to have 2 -15 minute breaks and an hour lunch.
    When RESETS begin. Have all managers go to other stores to HELP COMPLETE RESETS for each store. This is A BIG JOB and it requires a lot of hours.
    Stop having us change Price Tags every week. This takes a lot of time.
    Have prices and dates labeled on ALL PRODUCTS!
    Have a JANITORIAL SERVICE come to do FLOORS and WINDOWS every week.
    This is normal for all retails stores to have.

Change COLOR SALE TAGS every month. For example:

Sales associate,

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GNC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Different challenges with different customers everyday would really keep you on your game

Cons

Low pay, work alone most the time

Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work by yourself, commission on top of your normal pay, store opens at 10 and closes at 7.

Cons

GNC is seriously over the top when it comes to micro managing. Strict managers schedule that doesn't work at all for every store. Weekends are slow and they expect managers to work every Saturday and take every Wednesday off with 2 closing shifts during the week! Rsd is fake and throws co workers under the bus to save her own butt. Way too many conference calls too that are never positive.

Let managers manage. Let us work a schedule that fits our own store. Give managers a little more room to expand instead of beating us down constantly.

Decent company, poorly ran by upper management.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discounts, free products occasionally, learn a lot, easy job, get to meet a lot of people into fitness, laid back environment.

Cons

Nothing is ever good enough, a lot of negative reinforcement, ridiculous sales goals, not very organized, always some type of promo change or price changes occurring.

Get your act together upper management, I've Seen countless veteran employees 5plus years with the company just quit because of how poorly paid we are. We do a lot of work on tops of selling. We are the reason stores are still open they come to us for assistance. The promo changes need to be more organized and more well thought out

Numbers above all else

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at GNC full-time

Pros

There is a likelihood of making a decent overall hourly rate with commissions plus hourly rate.

If you are interested in the fitness industry it is a good stepping stone to get your foot in the door to network and gain some knowledge.

Cons

Micromanaged to end by those positions from the senior sales manager and up.

15+ % based indicators that need to be tracked on a daily basis which takes away from customer service even though they claim that it improves service.

Believes their own product is king when in fact is only average with a heavy price tag.

Pull your kpis and focus on the customer and not your bonuses.

Decent pay if you work at a high volume store, otherwise it's an unrewarding job.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in East Hanover, NJ
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in East Hanover, NJ

I worked at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to interact with customers and get to know them on a personal level. You get to learn a lot about health and fitness. When company reps come in and give out free samples, that's pretty cool too.

Cons

Low volume store = lots of down time. And the Lying. A majority of what you do at this job is lie. "You need this vitapak" or "You should be taking (insert GNC brand product) along with what you're buying today". When you first start working there, you're eager to meet your goals and feel great when you up sell a customer on a product. Talking a customer into buying a second vitapak or fish oil with their purchase makes you feel like you've made a great sale, albeit at the expense of their wallet. After time, you get tired of hearing yourself give the same sales pitch that is a load of crap which most customers can see through, and also coercing people into spending money on a product they can buy for a lot cheaper online. Most of the time the item you recommend to the customer is only suggested because it either offers commission (which is where you truly make your money at GNC) or it meets a sales criteria you have to meet by week's end or else you run the risk of being spoken to by either the store manager or regional sales director and getting written up.

Stop forcing sales associates to peddle your GNC brand products that are often VERY over priced (wheybolic/wheybolic extreme/wheybolic power etc) or inferior to other 3rd party items. If people don't want to fork out $60+ for GNC protein after listening to the company sales pitch, and would instead rather pay half that amount for a similar product, then do not fault the sales associate. By all means upper management, if it's that important to you then take the money out of your wallet and place it in the register. I challenge upper management to spend a week in a store and try all those sales pitches and see just how many people come back to return stuff they realize they never actually needed. I've seen it happen more times than I can count.

Competitive

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at GNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am probably one of the few people who actually love my job. I feel as though it is a competitive environment and I am always trying to improve each day. Its nice to get paid commission and I like meeting those trying to improve their health!

Cons

I feel as though upper management expect you to hit certain goals EVERY DAY which is near impossible, even if you are at a high volume store. I do not like the fact that my job is always at risk if customers refuse to buy product.

Most of the RSD and upper management creating these sales goals need to actually work in a store. Its not as easy as it may seem!

Great Job if you have the personality for it.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Towson, MD

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Money was good. Got promoted to assistant manager within 2 months of being an associate. Lots of free products. Normally a fun job if you work with the right people.

Cons

Extremely pushy attitude towards sales. Often required to sell specific items to customers regardless of what they actually need. This is what lead to me leaving. I no longer had the desire to lie to customers to meet sales numbers...which is often the only way to meet said numbers. Not my style, but some are great at it and make a lot of money. Its obvious that every person in managment is getting the same fire blown at them by the next person up the totem pole. sell, sell, sell, sell, sell... numbers could be better.. sell sell sell.

Be more realistic about sales.

GNC Photos