GNC Reviews

624 reviews filtered by

Part Time Sales Associate

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at GNC part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot about products. Customers are great to get to know their goals and knowing you can help.

Cons

Managers think they are the best at everything. Company doesn't care about employees. I worked in a new store and the regional manager couldn't make up their mind on what we should focus on whether it was sales numbers or sales in general. With sales numbers it goes against policy of "helping others achieve goals" by wanting you to sell only certain items (mostly GNC products) when it might not be the right product for someone. Planograms are redicu

Stop being full of yourselves, and don't take advantage of your employees.

Great Manager, Decent upper management, Horrible revenue model.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kelso, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kelso, WA

I worked at GNC part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gain experience in Supplement industry (which are crap and which few might be worth a dollar or two). Bro-out with your customers about protein and "test-boosters"

Cons

Selling of the OMS is a scam and a Joke. I refused to attempt selling most of them because you are selling on false hopes and unstable claims. You are expected to sell multiple vitapaks, OMS, Gold cards and P3's daily even if that means guiding the customer to a product that wont work as well or is overly excessive. I am not about that sort of business.

Get rid of (most) sales pressures, Consider increasing store hours to hire more employees when needed. Pay your employees better so they can stay.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at GNC part-time (less than a year)

Pros

a lot of down time during your shift and easy job overall when you are not getting micro managed. Learned some new things some of which I think may be more pushing GNC's agenda than actual fact

Cons

Consider everyone sales people but don't pay the way you should pay people in sales. They do not pay commission on the majority of the products they want you to sell to meet you numbers. Making you choose between making commission or hitting numbers. Being in sales and there to make money what would you choose? Management can't understand why numbers aren't getting hit and paying more to sales associates is a topic for heated arguments from the upper local management. As mentioned above they micro manage not trusting any of their employees and want daily updates multiple times a day on numbers just taking away time from customers. Just recently they lowered commission rates on many products or as they call them PM's

Pay the people that are at the store the most more and incentivize them by paying commission on everything

Discount is only decent upside

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at GNC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount and sales on products.

Cons

You can be overqualified for a position and be a top seller but still fall short of a promotion. Favorites and butt kissing is a must in order to "get what you deserve".

Don't make qualified candidates for positions work twice as hard for what they deserve. This is a business it is about money. Liking or disliking someone's personality should be left at the door. Numbers speak for themselves.

I had fun and learned a lot.

I worked at GNC part-time

Pros

people, money, fun, friends, family.... discounts

Cons

Work is work... sometimes that cant be helped.

7. My GNC Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lawton, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lawton, OK

I worked at GNC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working at GNC was a great envorinment. I got to learn about all health categories. They pay is very good and inscreases every pay check. the commission can be very high depending on sales.

Cons

You do have to work by yourself so it can be a little boring. Reaching sales goals might not be met from time to time. My manager recommended I be pushy and force a customer into buying something but I simply said no due to the highly side effects and health risks with most of the products.

Overall, it was a good experience. I was happy working there up until the time I moved.

Raises and Promotions are mythical creatures

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some commission, flexible hours, and nice people. great education and great if you are going to school and maybe looking into this type of career.(nutrition)

Cons

So much pressure for sales that people quit faster than filling out the application itself! If you are a sales associate, your pay fluctuates so much due to the limited clerical hours given for the managers. IF and when you get promoted to manager, that is pretty much as far as you go and unless you start off at a really HIGH volume store..you can make just as much money as a part timer with high hours.(if that is even possible) You are NOT allowed to go over 30 hours now due to the affordable care act. Commission is good...when you can actually get commission.GNC barley started on giving commission to everyone that is not a higher up recently. Because their are SSM's that have been their since the dinosaurs roamed this land, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to move up. But don't fret! You can get your 1-3% raise! On top of that, Employee discounts are 30%. At times the customers get way better deals and as an employee you are forbidden to get such deals. Catastrophe! Oh but wait we do get these monthly free bars that don't exist anymore usually. Work-life balance can be either easy or difficult. The more you don't really do your job, the easier it is on your life. The harder you work, the more management depends on you because you actually do your job or you are literally all they have. A lot of managers are great but there are some who abuse their power. Well I can say much more but I am sure you are all excited to start your new career at GNC. Live in Hell--I mean Live Well.

Appreciate your employees more with a liveable wage that is not minimum wage. More commission on your own brand. Bring back 2%commission for long term employees. More job availabilities for people that want to move up. Full time employees and more assistant management positions available would decrease the employee turn overs. Ease up on the pressure of selling certain items.

9. Very boring depending on witch one you work at

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paducah, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paducah, KY

I have been working at GNC part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You make commission. You get a discount on everything you learn a lot you get to help people make life changing decisions.

Cons

You have to work really hard to get good numbers and if you dont have good numbers you lose your job but if you do have good numbers you get nothing in return but keep it up or this could be better you could be ranked 1 In the whole region but that dosent really matter because you don't get anything for busting your butt.

They can be understanding but they can also be very demeaning they will talk down to you a lot.

Positive experience, learned enough to step into better jobs.

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Yakima, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Yakima, WA

I have been working at GNC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount on products. Have a lot of time to your self at work. Actual job is easy.

Cons

Have a training program that could be great, but its outdated, poorly executed, and difficult to use. Required to upsell products that have questionable benefit.

11. Great pay, fun experience.

Former Employee - General Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at GNC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked around your schedule. Able to move up. Interact with people.

Cons

Supervisors dont know how to talk to people and dont know how to micro manage.

Listen to the GMs needs and the sales associates.

GNC Photos