GNY Insurance Companies

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
3.1

Warren W. Heck

Great place to work for stability and growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company culture is down to earth and people care about you.

Cons

Some processes need to be formalized but this also provides needed flexibilityt to make case by case decisions.

Keep listening to your employees espeically the newer and younger generation.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work with smart, engaged, management and co-workers. There is little bureaucracy making it easy to get things done. Training is excellent; compensation, time off policies and benefits are competitive. Work environment is pleasant and engaging.

Cons

Company is in a state of change. The changes are good, but they sometimes cause disruption for those who are not comfortable with change.

The Company offers opportunity for great personal growth but it isn't always obvious that these opportunities are available.

This Company is the one you would want to work at forever!

Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Health benefits are one of the best in the industry. People here are amazing to work for/with. You learn so much about the different aspect of insurance that it makes you better at what you do. The environment at the workplace is very friendly. There is room for growth.

Cons

There aren't really any cons that I can think of that would be a turn off to work here.

Keep up the great work!

Overall A Good Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong and consistent form of doing business. Although many would feel the company size is small as a negative, there are a great deal of relationships that are formed which build a community you want to come to work everyday for. This is the type of company you would be able to stay for a long time, the type where company loyalty still exists both from management to their employees but also from employees to management. The company has also just turned 100 years old showing their stability.

Cons

HR cracks down on performance and attendance too much however at least the managers actually fight for their employees.

Give more feedback.

Worst insurance company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot here.

Cons

They treat their employees like children. If your one minute late in the morning or from lunch, they dock you and keep track of it. Unbelievable.

Treat people like adults and appreciate your employees.

GNY is a horribly run company.

Former Employee - Underwriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The experience so you can get a job somewhere else.

Cons

Management is extremely old and out of touch with young junior underwriters. Underwriting department has the highest turn over. There is no orientation when they hire you. You are isolated on purpose on others if you are a trainee.

Become more flexible. Let employees roll over vacation days from year to year. Add snacks to the kitchen for employees. Give them Columbus day off. Be more transparent to your employees. Stop saying we are growing when you are firing at will.

Nov 6, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Overall, we have historically maintained low turnover compared to our industry. A good portion of recent turnover has been due to retirement. Our most recent paid time off policy does allow roll over ... More

Great Atmosphere, all levels of personnel, including executives are friendly and approachable - Hope to Work There Again

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started working at GNY in 2007 in the Accounting Department as an Accounts Payable Clerk. Eventually, a role with more responsibility in the main accounting department opened up. I asked if I could move into the position and they offered it to me, so yes, there is room for growth. The company had very good traning programs to advance skills. It was a very relaxed, friendly environment and management was down-to-earth and approachable. The hours were very good, 9-5 with paid lunch. At the time I was there, I received 100% paid medical benefits and a very good 401 (k) package.

Cons

They pay was terrible. I loved working there but had to leave because they would not budge as far as increasing my salary. Also, the computer systems were terribly outdated using old software that was probably 20 years out of date! Besides that, all the pro's outweigh the con's. ...Wish I still worked there, miss everyone!

Offer a more competitive salary. Your company and people are wonderful! I enjoyed going to work every day and never had any distress with anyone. I would love to come back someday!

Aug 12, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We do strive to pay competitive salaries as well keep our rich benefit program including generous time off and pension plan.

Working for GNY was a great learning experience.

Former Employee - Clerical/Rater/Junior Underwriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Clerical/Rater/Junior Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

GNY has great training programs.

Cons

They do not handle as many commercial lines in comparison to other leading insurance companies.

Aug 12, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

We take pride in our long standing training programs. Since we are a niche carrier, we offer a certain product of services.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was refreshing to be able to participate in an area truly devoted to change. The leadership was strong and willing to work together with the team to develop solutions that would work to improve results. The goals were clear and the environment was supportive which helped us to succeed.

Cons

It takes time to see the results of change. The Company should find ways to expedite the process of getting the word out.

I joined GNY at the tail end of my career and having worked at other companies prior to GNY, I recognize the benefit of being at a place where management cares enough to be involved in the day-to-day. You should be more public about internal successes and achievements because there are many worth applauding.

Micromanaged company with extremely dissatisfied employees

Former Employee - Underwriting Trainee in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Underwriting Trainee in Quincy, MA

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a paying job

Cons

Micromanaged by people who lack leadership skills. Guidelines change every 6 months which lead to high amounts of non-renewals and are wedging themselves out of the niche market that they so highly desire

Listen to employees when help is asked for. Don't pile on more work in spite of it. The company is unable to grow and reach true potential due to the window getting smaller and smaller (changing guidelines)

GNY Insurance Companies Photos