GNY Insurance Companies

Updated Jun 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Warren W. Heck

Great Atmosphere, all levels of personnel, including executives are friendly and approachable - Hope to Work There Again

Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI started working at GNY in 2007 in the Accounting Department as an Accounts Payable Clerk. Eventually, a role with more responsibility in the main accounting department opened up. I asked if I could move into the position and they offered it to me, so yes, there is room for growth. The company had very good traning programs to advance skills. It was a very relaxed, friendly environment and management was down-to-earth and approachable. The hours were very good, 9-5 with paid lunch. At the time I was there, I received 100% paid medical benefits and a very good 401 (k) package.

ConsThey pay was terrible. I loved working there but had to leave because they would not budge as far as increasing my salary. Also, the computer systems were terribly outdated using old software that was probably 20 years out of date! Besides that, all the pro's outweigh the con's. ...Wish I still worked there, miss everyone!

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a more competitive salary. Your company and people are wonderful! I enjoyed going to work every day and never had any distress with anyone. I would love to come back someday!

Working for GNY was a great learning experience.

Clerical/Rater/Junior Underwriter (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGNY has great training programs.

ConsThey do not handle as many commercial lines in comparison to other leading insurance companies.

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt was refreshing to be able to participate in an area truly devoted to change. The leadership was strong and willing to work together with the team to develop solutions that would work to improve results. The goals were clear and the environment was supportive which helped us to succeed.

ConsIt takes time to see the results of change. The Company should find ways to expedite the process of getting the word out.

Advice to Senior ManagementI joined GNY at the tail end of my career and having worked at other companies prior to GNY, I recognize the benefit of being at a place where management cares enough to be involved in the day-to-day. You should be more public about internal successes and achievements because there are many worth applauding.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Micromanaged company with extremely dissatisfied employees

Underwriting Trainee (Former Employee) Quincy, MA

ProsIt is a paying job

ConsMicromanaged by people who lack leadership skills. Guidelines change every 6 months which lead to high amounts of non-renewals and are wedging themselves out of the niche market that they so highly desire

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees when help is asked for. Don't pile on more work in spite of it. The company is unable to grow and reach true potential due to the window getting smaller and smaller (changing guidelines)

Glad I left

Junior Underwriter (Former Employee) Quincy, MA

ProsThe small office environment really worked for me initially

ConsBenefits and pay are both lacking. Technology is lack luster. High turn over. No advancement opportunities. The culture is such that everyone is out for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe high turnover should be an indication that the culture of your company leaves something to be desired. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. You'll never retain REAL talent without making some changes.

Strong Underwriting Culture

Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe company has a rich history and strong underwriting culture whereby it is clear that employees are expected to "do the right thing" which fosters pride in the day to day successes of individuals and the company as a whole. The work environment is pleasant and supportive. Training and development is available both in-house and through tuition reimbursement and encouraged by management.

ConsEmployee communication is not as strong as it should be. Departments are very good about working together, but there is not enough group-wide correspondence.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee communication could and should be improved. Employees care about the company and if asked would offer great suggestions.

Senior Underwriter

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you don't mind underwriting anything besides apartment buildings this company is for you. No stress. No new business production goals for renewal underwriters.

ConsThere are separate renewal underwriters and new business underwriters for each broker. So if you enjoy marketing, you'll never have a chance to do it if your a renewal underwriter. Don't even attempt to negotiate additional vacation time, if if its an additional week unpaid. You get 2 weeks to start, additional week after 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro management is an issue. Senior underwriters limit of authority should be increased. Compensation is way below average for Manhattan. You're told salary range is competitive by Human Resources, and when management makes you an offer it is considerably less by at least $15,000. If your not going to be more competitive with salaries at least be flexible with time off.

Enjoyed the job & people, hated the salary

Claims Examiner (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood location - Mid town, 8 hr workday including 1 hr lunch. Fast paced, friendly atmosphere

ConsCoat & tie job, senior management is very hands on

Desperate for a job, terrible experience

Network Support Technician (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGot to work with current technology in terms of server hardware and software.; first exposure to IBM Websphere software; convenient midtown location.

ConsHelp desk system was via overhead loudspeaker; I was asked to repair a hardware device then was reprimanded for installing the required software. There were numerous warnings posted - don't take someone else's food from the refrigerator, don't write graffiti in the bathroom. Aren't people adults here?

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't focus so much on nitpicky policies and procedures, treat people like human beings not robots. Encourage, rather than punish, initiative and creative problem solving.

GNY Insurance Companies

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you are interested in commercial real estate, GNY is a leading insurer of apartment buildings in the tri-state area.

ConsRidiculously outdated technology. None of the systems talk to each other. Individual computers are 7-8 years old on average. Office decor is terrible. Co-worker competency is mediocre at best, although there are some good people here, they are few and far between. Worst of all, you cannot think for yourself. Only upper management has the authority to make any decisions here. The rest of us are peons.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hired your employees to make decisions, yet you don't let them do that. If you don't trust your employees, they won't trust you. And please, for the love of god, spend some money on upgrading the technology in this place.

Worked for GNY Insurance Companies? Contribute to the Community!