GNY Insurance Companies

Updated June 1, 2014
Updated June 1, 2014
2.9

Warren W. Heck

Great Atmosphere, all levels of personnel, including executives are friendly and approachable - Hope to Work There Again

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started working at GNY in 2007 in the Accounting Department as an Accounts Payable Clerk. Eventually, a role with more responsibility in the main accounting department opened up. I asked if I could move into the position and they offered it to me, so yes, there is room for growth. The company had very good traning programs to advance skills. It was a very relaxed, friendly environment and management was down-to-earth and approachable. The hours were very good, 9-5 with paid lunch. At the time I was there, I received 100% paid medical benefits and a very good 401 (k) package.

Cons

They pay was terrible. I loved working there but had to leave because they would not budge as far as increasing my salary. Also, the computer systems were terribly outdated using old software that was probably 20 years out of date! Besides that, all the pro's outweigh the con's. ...Wish I still worked there, miss everyone!

Offer a more competitive salary. Your company and people are wonderful! I enjoyed going to work every day and never had any distress with anyone. I would love to come back someday!

GNY Insurance Companies Response

Aug 12, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We do strive to pay competitive salaries as well keep our rich benefit program including generous time off and pension plan.

Working for GNY was a great learning experience.

Former Employee - Clerical/Rater/Junior Underwriter  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Clerical/Rater/Junior Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

GNY has great training programs.

Cons

They do not handle as many commercial lines in comparison to other leading insurance companies.

GNY Insurance Companies Response

Aug 12, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

We take pride in our long standing training programs. Since we are a niche carrier, we offer a certain product of services.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was refreshing to be able to participate in an area truly devoted to change. The leadership was strong and willing to work together with the team to develop solutions that would work to improve results. The goals were clear and the environment was supportive which helped us to succeed.

Cons

It takes time to see the results of change. The Company should find ways to expedite the process of getting the word out.

I joined GNY at the tail end of my career and having worked at other companies prior to GNY, I recognize the benefit of being at a place where management cares enough to be involved in the day-to-day. You should be more public about internal successes and achievements because there are many worth applauding.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Micromanaged company with extremely dissatisfied employees

Former Employee - Underwriting Trainee  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Underwriting Trainee in Quincy, MA

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a paying job

Cons

Micromanaged by people who lack leadership skills. Guidelines change every 6 months which lead to high amounts of non-renewals and are wedging themselves out of the niche market that they so highly desire

Listen to employees when help is asked for. Don't pile on more work in spite of it. The company is unable to grow and reach true potential due to the window getting smaller and smaller (changing guidelines)

Glad I left

Former Employee - Junior Underwriter  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Junior Underwriter in Quincy, MA

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

The small office environment really worked for me initially

Cons

Benefits and pay are both lacking. Technology is lack luster. High turn over. No advancement opportunities. The culture is such that everyone is out for themselves.

The high turnover should be an indication that the culture of your company leaves something to be desired. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. You'll never retain REAL talent without making some changes.

Strong Underwriting Culture

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company has a rich history and strong underwriting culture whereby it is clear that employees are expected to "do the right thing" which fosters pride in the day to day successes of individuals and the company as a whole. The work environment is pleasant and supportive. Training and development is available both in-house and through tuition reimbursement and encouraged by management.

Cons

Employee communication is not as strong as it should be. Departments are very good about working together, but there is not enough group-wide correspondence.

Employee communication could and should be improved. Employees care about the company and if asked would offer great suggestions.

Senior Underwriter

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies for more than 5 years

Pros

If you don't mind underwriting anything besides apartment buildings this company is for you. No stress. No new business production goals for renewal underwriters.

Cons

There are separate renewal underwriters and new business underwriters for each broker. So if you enjoy marketing, you'll never have a chance to do it if your a renewal underwriter. Don't even attempt to negotiate additional vacation time, if if its an additional week unpaid. You get 2 weeks to start, additional week after 5 years.

Micro management is an issue. Senior underwriters limit of authority should be increased. Compensation is way below average for Manhattan. You're told salary range is competitive by Human Resources, and when management makes you an offer it is considerably less by at least $15,000. If your not going to be more competitive with salaries at least be flexible with time off.

Enjoyed the job & people, hated the salary

Former Employee - Claims Examiner  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good location - Mid town, 8 hr workday including 1 hr lunch. Fast paced, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Coat & tie job, senior management is very hands on

Desperate for a job, terrible experience

Former Employee - Network Support Technician  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Network Support Technician in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies

Pros

Got to work with current technology in terms of server hardware and software.; first exposure to IBM Websphere software; convenient midtown location.

Cons

Help desk system was via overhead loudspeaker; I was asked to repair a hardware device then was reprimanded for installing the required software. There were numerous warnings posted - don't take someone else's food from the refrigerator, don't write graffiti in the bathroom. Aren't people adults here?

Don't focus so much on nitpicky policies and procedures, treat people like human beings not robots. Encourage, rather than punish, initiative and creative problem solving.

GNY Insurance Companies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies

Pros

If you are interested in commercial real estate, GNY is a leading insurer of apartment buildings in the tri-state area.

Cons

Ridiculously outdated technology. None of the systems talk to each other. Individual computers are 7-8 years old on average. Office decor is terrible. Co-worker competency is mediocre at best, although there are some good people here, they are few and far between. Worst of all, you cannot think for yourself. Only upper management has the authority to make any decisions here. The rest of us are peons.

You hired your employees to make decisions, yet you don't let them do that. If you don't trust your employees, they won't trust you. And please, for the love of god, spend some money on upgrading the technology in this place.

GNY Insurance Companies Photos

Red Sox Game
Happy 100th Anniversary!

+ Add Photo

Worked for GNY Insurance Companies? Contribute to the Community!