GNY Insurance Companies Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
19 reviews filtered by
Elizabeth Heck
1 Rating

1. Great place to work for stability and growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is down to earth and people care about you.

Cons

Some processes need to be formalized but this also provides needed flexibilityt to make case by case decisions.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees espeically the newer and younger generation.

2. Junior Underwriter

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time

Pros

This is a 9-5 job and you are off every weekend. GNY just switched over to a PTO schedule where you get 19 days off throughout the year to use for any reason which is more than what most companies offer.

Cons

They say its a salary job but they still make you clock in and out everyday like we're children. The worst part about the job is the pay. The cost of living is so expensive in NY and GNY does not pay enough which is the reason they have so much trouble retaining their employees.

Advice to Management

Increase your employees salaries so they won't keep leaving for higher paying jobs. This will help you retain your employees so you won't have to keep hiring and retraining new ones.

3. Terrible Experience

Former Employee - Rater in Glastonbury, CT
    Former Employee - Rater in Glastonbury, CT

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office was close to home. Good parking.

Cons

Not allowed to think for oneself. Not respected by management always felt as if I was not appreciated for doing a good job. Never any praise for doing a good job but always called out if the job wasn't done the way they thought it should have been done. Even if your way was better. Pay was not up to par compared to other companies in the area. No advancement opportunities. Co-workers were friendly and easy to work with. Office was close to home and there was ample parking.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect.

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work with smart, engaged, management and co-workers. There is little bureaucracy making it easy to get things done. Training is excellent; compensation, time off policies and benefits are competitive. Work environment is pleasant and engaging.

Cons

Company is in a state of change. The changes are good, but they sometimes cause disruption for those who are not comfortable with change.

Advice to Management

The Company offers opportunity for great personal growth but it isn't always obvious that these opportunities are available.

6. This Company is the one you would want to work at forever!

Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health benefits are one of the best in the industry. People here are amazing to work for/with. You learn so much about the different aspect of insurance that it makes you better at what you do. The environment at the workplace is very friendly. There is room for growth.

Cons

There aren't really any cons that I can think of that would be a turn off to work here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. Overall A Good Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong and consistent form of doing business. Although many would feel the company size is small as a negative, there are a great deal of relationships that are formed which build a community you want to come to work everyday for. This is the type of company you would be able to stay for a long time, the type where company loyalty still exists both from management to their employees but also from employees to management. The company has also just turned 100 years old showing their stability.

Cons

HR cracks down on performance and attendance too much however at least the managers actually fight for their employees.

Advice to Management

Give more feedback.

8. Worst insurance company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot here.

Cons

They treat their employees like children. If your one minute late in the morning or from lunch, they dock you and keep track of it. Unbelievable.

Advice to Management

Treat people like adults and appreciate your employees.

9. GNY is a horribly run company.

Former Employee - Underwriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The experience so you can get a job somewhere else.

Cons

Management is extremely old and out of touch with young junior underwriters. Underwriting department has the highest turn over. There is no orientation when they hire you. You are isolated on purpose on others if you are a trainee.

Advice to Management

Become more flexible. Let employees roll over vacation days from year to year. Add snacks to the kitchen for employees. Give them Columbus day off. Be more transparent to your employees. Stop saying we are growing when you are firing at will.

Nov 6, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Overall, we have historically maintained low turnover compared to our industry. A good portion of recent turnover has been due to retirement. Our most recent paid time off policy does allow roll over ... More

10. Great Atmosphere, all levels of personnel, including executives are friendly and approachable - Hope to Work There Again

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started working at GNY in 2007 in the Accounting Department as an Accounts Payable Clerk. Eventually, a role with more responsibility in the main accounting department opened up. I asked if I could move into the position and they offered it to me, so yes, there is room for growth. The company had very good traning programs to advance skills. It was a very relaxed, friendly environment and management was down-to-earth and approachable. The hours were very good, 9-5 with paid lunch. At the time I was there, I received 100% paid medical benefits and a very good 401 (k) package.

Cons

They pay was terrible. I loved working there but had to leave because they would not budge as far as increasing my salary. Also, the computer systems were terribly outdated using old software that was probably 20 years out of date! Besides that, all the pro's outweigh the con's. ...Wish I still worked there, miss everyone!

Advice to Management

Offer a more competitive salary. Your company and people are wonderful! I enjoyed going to work every day and never had any distress with anyone. I would love to come back someday!

Aug 12, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We do strive to pay competitive salaries as well keep our rich benefit program including generous time off and pension plan.

11. Working for GNY was a great learning experience.

Former Employee - Clerical/Rater/Junior Underwriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Clerical/Rater/Junior Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GNY has great training programs.

Cons

They do not handle as many commercial lines in comparison to other leading insurance companies.

Aug 12, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

We take pride in our long standing training programs. Since we are a niche carrier, we offer a certain product of services.

GNY Insurance Companies Photos