GNY Insurance Companies

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
2.9

Warren W. Heck

Beyond exceptional!! Can't think of a better way to say it.

Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You grow. You learn so much working at this company that you become better at your field. This is a very hands on company and a company that you stay until you feel like retiring.

Cons

The company has evolved so much in the past 8 years that I've been here, that the cons of the company are pretty much nonexistent.

Overall A Good Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong and consistent form of doing business. Although many would feel the company size is small as a negative, there are a great deal of relationships that are formed which build a community you want to come to work everyday for. This is the type of company you would be able to stay for a long time, the type where company loyalty still exists both from management to their employees but also from employees to management. The company has also just turned 100 years old showing their stability.

Cons

HR cracks down on performance and attendance too much however at least the managers actually fight for their employees.

Give more feedback.

Could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have very good training and you can learn a lot. Collegues are great to work with.

Cons

Company is too strict with time off policy. They still have the old school separate sick and vacation days. They don,t even give you all your sick and personal days up front. They allocate it 2 every quarter. People get fired all the time for stupid reasons. There is no job security here.

Have some more respect for your employees.

GNY is a horribly run company.

Former Employee - Underwriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The experience so you can get a job somewhere else.

Cons

Management is extremely old and out of touch with young junior underwriters. Underwriting department has the highest turn over. There is no orientation when they hire you. You are isolated on purpose on others if you are a trainee.

Become more flexible. Let employees roll over vacation days from year to year. Add snacks to the kitchen for employees. Give them Columbus day off. Be more transparent to your employees. Stop saying we are growing when you are firing at will.

Great Atmosphere, all levels of personnel, including executives are friendly and approachable - Hope to Work There Again

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started working at GNY in 2007 in the Accounting Department as an Accounts Payable Clerk. Eventually, a role with more responsibility in the main accounting department opened up. I asked if I could move into the position and they offered it to me, so yes, there is room for growth. The company had very good traning programs to advance skills. It was a very relaxed, friendly environment and management was down-to-earth and approachable. The hours were very good, 9-5 with paid lunch. At the time I was there, I received 100% paid medical benefits and a very good 401 (k) package.

Cons

They pay was terrible. I loved working there but had to leave because they would not budge as far as increasing my salary. Also, the computer systems were terribly outdated using old software that was probably 20 years out of date! Besides that, all the pro's outweigh the con's. ...Wish I still worked there, miss everyone!

Offer a more competitive salary. Your company and people are wonderful! I enjoyed going to work every day and never had any distress with anyone. I would love to come back someday!

GNY Insurance Companies Response

Aug 12, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We do strive to pay competitive salaries as well keep our rich benefit program including generous time off and pension plan.

Working for GNY was a great learning experience.

Former Employee - Clerical/Rater/Junior Underwriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Clerical/Rater/Junior Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

GNY has great training programs.

Cons

They do not handle as many commercial lines in comparison to other leading insurance companies.

GNY Insurance Companies Response

Aug 12, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

We take pride in our long standing training programs. Since we are a niche carrier, we offer a certain product of services.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was refreshing to be able to participate in an area truly devoted to change. The leadership was strong and willing to work together with the team to develop solutions that would work to improve results. The goals were clear and the environment was supportive which helped us to succeed.

Cons

It takes time to see the results of change. The Company should find ways to expedite the process of getting the word out.

I joined GNY at the tail end of my career and having worked at other companies prior to GNY, I recognize the benefit of being at a place where management cares enough to be involved in the day-to-day. You should be more public about internal successes and achievements because there are many worth applauding.

Micromanaged company with extremely dissatisfied employees

Former Employee - Underwriting Trainee in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Underwriting Trainee in Quincy, MA

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a paying job

Cons

Micromanaged by people who lack leadership skills. Guidelines change every 6 months which lead to high amounts of non-renewals and are wedging themselves out of the niche market that they so highly desire

Listen to employees when help is asked for. Don't pile on more work in spite of it. The company is unable to grow and reach true potential due to the window getting smaller and smaller (changing guidelines)

Glad I left

Former Employee - Junior Underwriter in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Junior Underwriter in Quincy, MA

I worked at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The small office environment really worked for me initially

Cons

Benefits and pay are both lacking. Technology is lack luster. High turn over. No advancement opportunities. The culture is such that everyone is out for themselves.

The high turnover should be an indication that the culture of your company leaves something to be desired. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. You'll never retain REAL talent without making some changes.

Strong Underwriting Culture

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in New York, NY

I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company has a rich history and strong underwriting culture whereby it is clear that employees are expected to "do the right thing" which fosters pride in the day to day successes of individuals and the company as a whole. The work environment is pleasant and supportive. Training and development is available both in-house and through tuition reimbursement and encouraged by management.

Cons

Employee communication is not as strong as it should be. Departments are very good about working together, but there is not enough group-wide correspondence.

Employee communication could and should be improved. Employees care about the company and if asked would offer great suggestions.

GNY Insurance Companies Photos