GP Strategies Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.3

GP Strategies CEO and Director Scott N. Greenberg
Scott N. Greenberg

Pros
  • Work life balance, mostly decent people, good office locations, low-pressure environment, autonomy (in 5 reviews)

• Established company, competitive compensation, work from home and relocation flexibility (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a whole lot of room for growth (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of professional development for remote workers (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I had a wonderful experience working at GP Strategies.

Former Employee - Assistant Instructional Designer
    Former Employee - Assistant Instructional Designer

I worked at GP Strategies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, conducive to learning and growing. Job assignment allowed for flexibility, whether it was working from home or working on site. I was also given flexibility with arranging my work schedule since I was attending grad school as well. The advice and guidance from my superiors was beneficial, plus it was also discussed the opportunities to grow within the company post internship.

Cons

I did not really have any cons per se. I guess I just did not really care for the uncertainty of project length and duration. At the conclusion of the project, there may or may not be a gap between a new project, which can make some people a little uneasy. My position was considered temporary, so I had a contracted end date. However, I just think for full time positions, that may be a little concerning.

GP strategies provides strong opportunities for growth

I have been working at GP Strategies

Pros

Management is generally supportive and the benefits are good.

Cons

The company is working to integrate it's different businesses which in the past have acted separately.

Good Environment!

Current Employee - Training Administrator in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Training Administrator in Troy, MI

I have been working at GP Strategies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Low stress level. Minimum Micro managing.

Cons

Periodic low work level. But consistent!

N/A

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Burton, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Burton, OH

I have been working at GP Strategies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere & great people

Cons

New projects and personal growth

N/A

OK Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at GP Strategies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most positions are located a client locations. Telecommuting, flexible work hours, in my experience not a culture of micro-managing, E-learning, and tuition remibursement

Cons

Not given enough PTO considering all of your days are in one bucket (sick, vacation, personal days). A little less than 3 weeks that you have to earn prior to use doesn't go a long way. Don't always get feedback from management until it is review time. Benefits are very costly unless you participate in wellness program

Show your appreciation to current employees. All employees contribute to the success of the company. It would be nice that more employees became bonus eligible.

Stay cool, Portland

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at GP Strategies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People make a company what it is, and the Portland office is a great location for GP. Previously Via Training, GP bought the Portland location when the original CEO sold. GP brought financial stability to the company. Most of the Via employees who were there for the transition stayed at least for a while after, and many are still there. BP did try to keep the original traditions in the Portland location, and the office decor remained creative. The work in the Portland office is satisfying, with big name clients and interesting content.

Cons

Some roles were phased out by GP, which seemed like a great loss for what was Via.

Continue to let the Portland office have a level of autonomy from the rest of GP.

Great Opportunity with chances for increased responsibilities

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at GP Strategies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family friendly environment. Remote work on most assignments.

Cons

Sometimes, work hours were extremely long. And travel requirements weren't always communicated expeditiously.

Share clear vision to specific employees, rather than surprising them of scope responsibility changes via an all staff meeting.

High stress, low wages.

I worked at GP Strategies as a contractor

Pros

Easy commute, some very nice people, plenty of work in the "back office".

Cons

The better you are at your job the more work you will be given without advancement or wage increase. You need to fail or threaten in order to get noticed.

Operations can not run the show. There has to be a "separation of duties". However, when Ops is unhappy, everybody is unhappy. That said, try giving some value added support without bogging them down in red tape.

Okay.

I have been working at GP Strategies

Pros

Professional atmosphere in a convenient work setting. HQ is close to Columbia Mall. So, there's also many places to choose from to eat, even though, they are at the food court.
    We have a 401K "matching" plan.

Cons

Mngt doesn't seem to recognize (or react when notified about the) capabilities of people who work in their organizations. Yes, me, but also several others are sitting around with ability that is lying dormant.
    401K matching is not good at all.

Share some of the financial success with the workers. Don't keep raising the Healthcare co-pay and deductibles. Put some money into the general fund instead of your pockets.

It's a good place to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at GP Strategies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules and locations. Most employees work from home. High quality benefits and insurance plans. Employees are very talented and work well together. Very low turnover

Cons

A training company that does not train their own employees. Most employees have to hit the ground running in a "sink or swim" mode. If you don't have a lot of common sense and can work on your own without a lot of training or support, you will succeed. If you need your hand held, you won't survive

Provide more internal and external training opportunities for existing employees. Don't always put the customer ahead of the employee