GP Strategies

Updated February 26, 2015
2.9

GP Strategies CEO and Director Scott N. Greenberg
Scott N. Greenberg

Pros
  • Work life balance, mostly decent people, good office locations, low-pressure environment, autonomy (in 6 reviews)

• They have a work from home policy (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Therefore there is little room for advancement or growth unless new clients are acquired which is rare (in 3 reviews)

• Not a whole lot of room for growth (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good to start your career

I have been working at GP Strategies

Pros

Good place to start a career and get exposure to different roles and types of projects and clients to build expertise and experience.

Cons

Once you get to a certain point of your career or looking for a career path, there is no real room for growth or clear career progression. Senior Leadership is more of a good old "boy/girl" elitist club inclusion into which are made on arbitrary, personal/subjective basis.

Define a clear long-term strategy and goals for the organization and communicate and lead to those. Define clear career paths and criteria for reaching next steps.

Good company to work for, offering above average benefits backed up with responsive HR and Pay Departments

Former Employee - Staff Configuration Management Analyst
    Former Employee - Staff Configuration Management Analyst

I worked at GP Strategies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The (small) Business Unit I worked in has an outstanding manager and several top notch supervisors and co-workers. Work was demanding and fast paced but compensation was equally appropriate. Use of earned personal time off was not a problem.

Cons

This job in particular was a contractor scenario providing support and services to the “customer”. As such, work depended on funding which seems to have more political influence than practical end user concern.
    Subject matter expertise was sometimes ignored by supervisors and the customer, to the detriment of the program.

None. Upper management is very good.

Good place for those who are early in their career.

I worked at GP Strategies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn and work on a variety of projects.

Cons

Very limited career opportunity, terrible HR department.

Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Instructional Designer
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer

I have been working at GP Strategies

Pros

The work is interesting and diverse. The clients are appreciative of the guidance and support.

Cons

Little or no support from management. Too many Indian Chiefs. Bean counters rule the roost which deflates morale. 401K has been flat. Work continuity is fickle.

Support your consultants and they will support you.

No room for advancement

I worked at GP Strategies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Work/Life Balance
    - Really smart and knowledgeable coworkers
    - Some pretty cool clients to work with
    - Benefits are okay

Cons

- Flat organization with top positions filled by people who are not likely to move on. Therefore that translates to no chances for meaningful career progression. Instead they make up titles which sound important but in the end it is just a title change. In some cases not even a pay increase to go with the new title.
    - For doing great work they are pretty stingy with pay increases (< 5%). Was told on several occasions that there are no bonuses given. Yet, looking at the company's 10K the top level executives receive annual bonuses and pay increases.
    - Also, lack of meaningful communications from leadership. Middle management does not know either so if you ask for information you are given vague responses.
    - My business unit had a few favorites who would get the choice assignments and clients. They never had to worry about getting hours although everyone else was scrambling to stay billable.
    - Corporate services seemed to hold a grudge against the employees who work on contracts. Very disconcerting to have them glaring at you when you walk by. Also, there is a regular annual company picnic seems the only people invited to attend were the corporate services employees. I never received a notification of the picnic and when I asked the non-corporate services employees about the picnic they did not seem to know what I was referring to.
    - Company appears to be run by the Finance department. If they call for cuts, layoffs are sure to follow no matter how well you may perform.

Stop conducting the Employee Satisfaction surveys and lectures until you actually mean that you want people to be engaged.

Smart people

I have been working at GP Strategies

Pros

GP is a growing company with smart people and a good business strategy. People generally treat each other with respect.

Cons

Large clients can be difficult to work with and GP doesn't always keep their expectations in line.

Needs Improvements in Project Management

Current Contractor - Supervisor in Central, IN
    Current Contractor - Supervisor in Central, IN

I have been working at GP Strategies as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility. Able to work independently on projects that are important and challenging. Incredibly talented and professional colleagues.

Cons

Project management is not involved or supportive; they seem stretched thin. When management is notified of serious concerns or suggestions, they are generally dismissive. There is little opportunity for advancement. There has been no increase in salary or compensation for anyone on this project for several years.

Encourage project managers to take time to get to know the projects and people they are managing. Management should provide some support and positive feedback to the group and individuals when warranted.

Energy Services - Engineer. Ok. Lack of management / collaboration.

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Amherst, NY

I worked at GP Strategies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay/benefits. Laid back workplace. Good people. Great potential for the company in the future.

Cons

Not much room for advancement which results in giving away management titles to non-management personalities because they have worked their the longest, resulting in an abundance of poor managers (good people, poor management and communication skills). Often don't know/don't care about products that leave the office, as long as they look good on the income statement. Very poor company morale for workforce engineers. Company has GREAT potential, but lacks the leadership to achieve it.

Do your job! Have team/company meetings to discuss current project progression, promote collaboration/knowledge sharing. Training to improve efficiency and quality. Establish standards and procedures. You need to invest in your employees, procedures and quality of products to drive sales, not hire more salesman and marketing staff who add even more overhead....DUH!!!!

Not fun....

I have been working at GP Strategies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent and I've worked with some talented people who are very knowledgeable in their field. They have a work from home policy.

Cons

No chance for promotion, dispassionate management, unclear and contradictory direction from management. Since working here I've seen most of the talented personnel move on to other jobs and there has been no attempt to replace them.

I had a wonderful experience working at GP Strategies.

Former Intern - Assistant Instructional Designer
    Former Intern - Assistant Instructional Designer

I worked at GP Strategies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, conducive to learning and growing. Job assignment allowed for flexibility, whether it was working from home or working on site. I was also given flexibility with arranging my work schedule since I was attending grad school as well. The advice and guidance from my superiors was beneficial, plus it was also discussed the opportunities to grow within the company post internship.

Cons

I did not really have any cons per se. I guess I just did not really care for the uncertainty of project length and duration. At the conclusion of the project, there may or may not be a gap between a new project, which can make some people a little uneasy. My position was considered temporary, so I had a contracted end date. However, I just think for full time positions, that may be a little concerning.