GP Strategies

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014

GP Strategies CEO and Director Scott N. Greenberg
Scott N. Greenberg

Pros
  • Work life balance, mostly decent people, good office locations, low-pressure environment, autonomy (in 6 reviews)

• They have a work from home policy (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Therefore there is little room for advancement or growth unless new clients are acquired which is rare (in 3 reviews)

• Not a whole lot of room for growth (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Smart people

I have been working at GP Strategies

Pros

GP is a growing company with smart people and a good business strategy. People generally treat each other with respect.

Cons

Large clients can be difficult to work with and GP doesn't always keep their expectations in line.

No room for advancement

I worked at GP Strategies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Work/Life Balance
    - Really smart and knowledgeable coworkers
    - Some pretty cool clients to work with
    - Benefits are okay

Cons

- Flat organization with top positions filled by people who are not likely to move on. Therefore that translates to no chances for meaningful career progression. Instead they make up titles which sound important but in the end it is just a title change. In some cases not even a pay increase to go with the new title.
    - For doing great work they are pretty stingy with pay increases (< 5%). Was told on several occasions that there are no bonuses given. Yet, looking at the company's 10K the top level executives receive annual bonuses and pay increases.
    - Also, lack of meaningful communications from leadership. Middle management does not know either so if you ask for information you are given vague responses.
    - My business unit had a few favorites who would get the choice assignments and clients. They never had to worry about getting hours although everyone else was scrambling to stay billable.
    - Corporate services seemed to hold a grudge against the employees who work on contracts. Very disconcerting to have them glaring at you when you walk by. Also, there is a regular annual company picnic seems the only people invited to attend were the corporate services employees. I never received a notification of the picnic and when I asked the non-corporate services employees about the picnic they did not seem to know what I was referring to.
    - Company appears to be run by the Finance department. If they call for cuts, layoffs are sure to follow no matter how well you may perform.

Stop conducting the Employee Satisfaction surveys and lectures until you actually mean that you want people to be engaged.

Not fun....

I have been working at GP Strategies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent and I've worked with some talented people who are very knowledgeable in their field. They have a work from home policy.

Cons

No chance for promotion, dispassionate management, unclear and contradictory direction from management. Since working here I've seen most of the talented personnel move on to other jobs and there has been no attempt to replace them.

Needs Improvements in Project Management

Current Employee - Supervisor in Central, IN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Central, IN

I have been working at GP Strategies as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility. Able to work independently on projects that are important and challenging. Incredibly talented and professional colleagues.

Cons

Project management is not involved or supportive; they seem stretched thin. When management is notified of serious concerns or suggestions, they are generally dismissive. There is little opportunity for advancement. There has been no increase in salary or compensation for anyone on this project for several years.

Encourage project managers to take time to get to know the projects and people they are managing. Management should provide some support and positive feedback to the group and individuals when warranted.

Energy Services - Engineer. Ok. Lack of management / collaboration.

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Amherst, NY

I worked at GP Strategies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay/benefits. Laid back workplace. Good people. Great potential for the company in the future.

Cons

Not much room for advancement which results in giving away management titles to non-management personalities because they have worked their the longest, resulting in an abundance of poor managers (good people, poor management and communication skills). Often don't know/don't care about products that leave the office, as long as they look good on the income statement. Very poor company morale for workforce engineers. Company has GREAT potential, but lacks the leadership to achieve it.

Do your job! Have team/company meetings to discuss current project progression, promote collaboration/knowledge sharing. Training to improve efficiency and quality. Establish standards and procedures. You need to invest in your employees, procedures and quality of products to drive sales, not hire more salesman and marketing staff who add even more overhead....DUH!!!!

I had a wonderful experience working at GP Strategies.

Former Employee - Assistant Instructional Designer
    Former Employee - Assistant Instructional Designer

I worked at GP Strategies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, conducive to learning and growing. Job assignment allowed for flexibility, whether it was working from home or working on site. I was also given flexibility with arranging my work schedule since I was attending grad school as well. The advice and guidance from my superiors was beneficial, plus it was also discussed the opportunities to grow within the company post internship.

Cons

I did not really have any cons per se. I guess I just did not really care for the uncertainty of project length and duration. At the conclusion of the project, there may or may not be a gap between a new project, which can make some people a little uneasy. My position was considered temporary, so I had a contracted end date. However, I just think for full time positions, that may be a little concerning.

GP strategies provides strong opportunities for growth

I have been working at GP Strategies

Pros

Management is generally supportive and the benefits are good.

Cons

The company is working to integrate it's different businesses which in the past have acted separately.

Good Environment!

Current Employee - Training Administrator in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Training Administrator in Troy, MI

I have been working at GP Strategies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Low stress level. Minimum Micro managing.

Cons

Periodic low work level. But consistent!

N/A

OK Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at GP Strategies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most positions are located a client locations. Telecommuting, flexible work hours, in my experience not a culture of micro-managing, E-learning, and tuition remibursement

Cons

Not given enough PTO considering all of your days are in one bucket (sick, vacation, personal days). A little less than 3 weeks that you have to earn prior to use doesn't go a long way. Don't always get feedback from management until it is review time. Benefits are very costly unless you participate in wellness program

Show your appreciation to current employees. All employees contribute to the success of the company. It would be nice that more employees became bonus eligible.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Burton, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Burton, OH

I have been working at GP Strategies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere & great people

Cons

New projects and personal growth

N/A