GPM Investments Reviews

Terrible company

Former Employee - Storre Manager in Scranton, SC
    Former Employee - Storre Manager in Scranton, SC

I worked at GPM Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a wonderful staff that went above and beyond. I met a lot of great people in my three years and I learned a lot.

Cons

Managers are expected to work a minimum of 52 hours a week (only got paid for 40), to cover shifts at a moments notice, and always be available because if not you'll get in trouble. Terrible home/work balance and definitely not enough pay for the headache. This company doesn't like to fix things the right way, everything is just rigged to work until either it can't be rigged anymore or someone gets hurt. Absolutely no concern for employees health and well-being. I honestly don't know how this company is still running.

Advice to Management

Don't harras your employees, and don't openly accuse people of anything. And please fix things before they hurt people.

2. assistant manager

I have been working at GPM Investments

Pros

raise every 6 months, free fountain drinks while ur at work.

Cons

they push plus sellin if u dont meet the percentage you get written up

Advice to Management

give some slack to the plus sellin all people cant do it like u want them to

3. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GPM Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job. I have a good staff if I can keep them, paying min wage but expecting more from them makes it hard to keep good employees. Repeat customers make my day. I enjoy seeing them and helping them whenever I can.

Cons

Wow. Where to start. I have been in retail mgt for over 20 years. And this place takes the cake. Like others have said before, you will not have any kind of family life or life outside of GPM. Granted they are a very fast growing company, but it's at the expense of their staff. The ones who earn the money for them to grow. In the beginning everything seemed like roses, then you find out that your budgets get slashed. To run a store 24/7 365 you are given a budget that even with single coverage and min wage you will still be over you payroll budget. So you, the manage have to cover those hours. It is the norm for the store manager to work 7 days a week and work 12-18 hour days. And like others have stated, you are expected to cover any shifts should someone call in are decide they don't want to come in. You get the "joy" of covering those shifts. I personal have worked 34 hours straight more than once in the last year. I average 64-78 hours per week. Let that sink in for a moment..... And if something should break, well hopefully you have some duct tape and bubble gum because that's how it'll fixed. The IT help desk is a joke. You will not every see a tech come to the store and fix an issue, you get to do that too. Yippee. Please don't just think that I'm just a bitter employee, I've been in mgt for a long time. Never have I seen a company so money hunger and just worried about being able to call themselves the biggest c-store company that they will run you into the ground despite the fact that you are the one making is possible for them to grow.

Advice to Management

Don't loose sight of the ones who make it possible for you to become a growing company. I have learned many years ago your staff and make or break you, Arie, need to take care of your store mangers and their staff better than what you are currently.

5. wouldnt recommend to my worst enemy

Former Employee - Store Manager in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Wilmington, NC

I worked at GPM Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

can't think of many. Fairly competitive benefits for store managers. Hourly employees to receive holiday pay, they only have one medical insurance option and it is poor.

Cons

store managers shoulder a huge workload and many responsibilities. Hourly employees also have many shift duties, as well as running register, selling lottery, money orders, phone cards, accepting ebt and dealing with age restricted sales. Often a store will run on single coverage with expectation same work load will be completed as double coverage stores. Thank you's are sparse, promotion and appreciation not based on merit. Turn over in all positions, hourly, managers, supervisors, extremely high. No quality of life balance. Managers salary based on 52 hour work week, company culture is you work as many hours as you need to get the job done, 55-60 hours or more per week not unusual. Managers are required to cover call outs, no call no show, if they cant find anyone to work. If you have to work 2-3 shifts it is no big deal. No support from upper management. Company expectations and standards change frequently, often with no prior information given. Hourly employees, managers expected to come to work at moments notice with no regard to your personal life. Very few truly professional people in field level. store managers are often thrown into a store with little or no training but expected to function like experienced manager. Hourly employee's start at $8.00 per hour. Very chaotic atmosphere. Like working inside a giant pressure cooker.

Advice to Management

There are reasons, turn over, employee theft so high. Your supervisors aren't always what they purport themselves to be. I have heard outrageous remarks come from supervisors and store managers, directed to their staff. Unfortunately NC doesn't offer much protection to employees. You may want to further investigate a supervisors "pet" or "golden child" They too are often not what they seem. Appreciation goes along way. Give people the tools they need to do their jobs.

District Manager

I worked at GPM Investments full-time

Pros

None. Company is only concerned with how fast and big they can get. If you want to succeed here be prepared to totally give up any home life.

Cons

Doesn't care about employees. Only tells you part of the truth when asked questions. They think they own their employees. Put policies in place and allow them not to be followed.

Advice to Management

Realize that your people are an important part of your company and without them, you cannot succeed.

7. its turning out to be a joke

I have been working at GPM Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who the less important are the ones who care the most

Cons

So far this company suck.they dont act like they know what they are doing. The don't seem to care about who's running the stores ( some employeesare lazy as hell) that it ddoesn't matter how much a person is lazy and worthless as long as there's a body there i haven't worked for this company for long but as a so far experience gpm had bought them self a royal mess. Employees who do drugs are lazy do thing making then selfs look busy kinda people get paid more then the people who work very hard never call in are always the ones who pick up slack always there when needed no matter what time of day always do the 100% and ACTUALLY care get crap pay and get thrown under a bus so managment is aways looking good. They only one employee working over nights im bad locations where cops are called daily in not twice daily when try to talk to managers they give excuses to why people cant do there jobs correctly.

Advice to Management

Im going to give thw best advise i possible GET RID OF CRAPPY EMPLOYEES START PASSING OUT DRUG TESTS TO EVERYONE START GETTING RID OF UR LAZY NO GOOD WORTHLESS EMPLOYEES. PAY THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY DESERVE AND WORK VERY HARD TO DESERVE

Ultimately disappointing!

Current Employee - Store Clerk in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Store Clerk in Charleston, SC

I have been working at GPM Investments

Pros

The small stores are easier to stock; all side chores can be completed in a timely fashion

Cons

Larger stores have only one person when they should have at least two, or at least have an overlap of staff shift so that one employee can assist the other in stocking and other side work. Some managers don't promote from within. Instead they bring in from the outside. Can't even talk to DM because all they care about is numbers. Benefits only available to those who work at least 30 hours a week. Staff overworked, underpaid.

Advice to Management

We employees keep the store open: be more considerate of us!

Management

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at GPM Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Regular customers and Team that worked for me are the only things that made this job worth while at all.

Cons

Company is rum Horribly, DM doesn't care about the people that work for her. Employees are seen as disposable. You are expected to work 60 + hrs a week without any additional compensation. They cut you budget hrs to make it almost impossible to run a store but increase your sales goals. They do anything they can to make sure you don't get your bonus. They want you to do the job of at least 3 people on the lowest salary in the area.

Advice to Management

Your staff is the reason why you have your job. If you want people to give you there all you need to treat them like they are people not cattle.

Horrible company to work for!!!!

Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at GPM Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I honestly can't think of any good reason to work here... It used to be a great "family like" company that turned into a people are just a number business

Cons

Pay is horrible, upper management does not appreciate anyone. It's a watch your back before someone stabs you in the back type of place.

Advice to Management

You need to realize that the "little people" are the ones keeping your company running. Pay your employees at least what the industry standards are.

11. Horrible

Former Employee - Store Manager in Camden, DE
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Camden, DE

I worked at GPM Investments

Pros

Pro....when I was able to give my notice and left that place

Cons

As a store manager the company expected you to be on call 24/7. If it was your day off and they called you, if you didn't answer or return their call in a timely fashion you got wrote up.

RSS Feed </> Embed