GQR Global Markets Reviews

Personal view of an AVP

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Driven people and people with a good sense of humour – in office banter keeps the environment light. Young people who are motivated and people that have done really well.
    • Extensive database and relationships to leverage
    • Management are genuinely open to ideas/concepts that enable you to better do your role (i.e access to new advertising, trialling new services, innovative methods, justifying networking events)
    • Excellent potential to earn - fair and generous commission
    • Amazing offices in Manhattan – Epic 2000sqft Roof Terrace!
    • Management do back their staff, and it’s quite genuine that they want to see their employees make commission and earn well. They offer as much assistance as they can to identify any issues and prevent any blocks. It’s a tough love approach absolutely, but it’s clear that the system of ratios has worked.
    • Great incentives – both in short term rewards, and company wide trips.
    • Very thorough graduate training program.

Cons

• Having grown very quickly and still expanding, some processes aren’t clearly defined or can take time to set up – this is more in the contracting space or getting agreements out etc, - but people are generally helpful when asked.
    • Improving efficiencies of the database (but I know that’s being fixed)

Advice to Management

• Arrange some less formal inter-office meetings to facilitate collaboration better, and open them out from being sector specific from time to time– i.e we’ve recently placed with a client, which is through my team leaders hard work networking with another sector Team Head, who is non-IT. A collaboration session with rotating divisions – to discuss who they’ve got signed terms with and how they can leverage another team into their clients.
    • Sometimes information is lost in the process of it being passed down layers of management. If there’s a question or an issue my team leader is really proactive to relay the answer, but often they’ll be three different answers from the three different people he reports into.
    • An observation with the grad program – the program is fantastic and gets people productive quickly – when I was taught though, I spent a lot of time learning how to interview a person, and actually how a to thoroughly interview with a candidate - this should be incorporated into the program with more emphasis.

2. Life at GQR over the last 7 months...

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I saw some of the ridiculous reviews about GQR on the website and thought I would pitch in with my two cents…..

If you are an energetic, hardworking, determined and sales minded person, this may be the company for you. GQR offers an extremely challenging environment providing the structure to build your own book of business and brand from day one to become a successful recruiter. Further, GQR silo’s employees from day one providing the opportunity for vertical market specialism. GQR’s uncapped earning potential, commission structure and incentives are an incredible plus, awarding employees along the way.

GQR’s new office space is also absolutely incredible located in the heart of midtown Manhattan with fantastic skyline views.

Outgoing personality types will fit in well at GQR. You will struggle if you’re introverted.

I want to get across that working at GQR is no cake walk, however overall a career with GQR can be extremely fruitful for the right person.

Cons

Cons:
    - Long work hours (often 8-8)
    - Success is not immediate which can become discouraging.
    - Sales is not for everybody
    - Not suitable for those who can’t handle pressure

Advice to Management

Advice to Management:
    - Keep the atmosphere fun and light
    - Continue incentives
    - Stricter hiring process

3. A 'biased' review

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The fundamental problem with these reviews, is that those compelled to write a review have left the business, or are thinking about leaving the business, having either not done well, or realizing the job is/was harder than they expected. This job is not for everyone, and not everyone will enjoy it. While those (and there are plenty; GQR has grown from 6 people in the US, to over 40 in 2 years) who have done well, and are still employed by GQR, don't feel the need to write a review. If they then do write a review, they are portrayed as being 'biased' and forced to do so by senior management.

GQR is full of people that new grads should be able to look up to, and see the light at the end of what is a difficult tunnel in the beginning. The top performers in the company for the last two years, both started off their careers as new grads at GQR. In fact, a high proportion of those within the top 10 performers for the business are 'homegrown'. If they can do it, then why can't anyone else coming in to the company?
    I feel like a lot of these reviews are pretty much a 'well it is not working for me, it must be GQR' reaction. You have the same platform as those that have done well, however, anyone that is coming into the business at this stage, has the benefit of a far greater client base.

You don't work 60+ hours a week either. I would urge those saying that to do the math. Even 5 x 12 hour days, with a one hour lunch break is 55 hours a week, and we don't work 12 hour days every day. Some people in the office do work 60+ hours, but that is because they choose too, rather than it being mandatory or encouraged. In regards to advertised salaries - GQR do advertise that you can earn $90-$110k in your first year, but you are not going to earn that if you are the sort of person who complains about working a 60 hour week. That level of salary is possible in your first year, but it is not common, and you will have to sacrifice your work life balance. Some people are happy to do that in the first couple of years of their career. If you ask the top traders in an investment bank how much work life balance they had in their first couple of years, you might get a similar answer.

Cons

If you are not doing well, it is a tough place to be. The same would be said of any sales driven environment. This is not a grad scheme, where you get to settle in slowly. Management does spend a considerable amount of time training, and helping the junior consultants, however you are still given a lot of rope to get on with it by yourselves.
    There are a few things the company need to work on, but I would urge people to bring this up with HR and management, rather than writing online reviews like you have been working in some sort of boiler room with no windows.

Advice to Management

A suggestions box. Outside training seminars.

Great place to start career for confident, hard-working and ambitious grads. Work-hard play-hard environment.

Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Out of the approx. 100 people that work / have worked at GQR over the last 6 years OF COURSE you are going to have some bad reviews. It makes sense because ultimately, when you boil it down, they have failed at their first or perhaps now their second job and it's a common trait that for one's own self preservation and ego it's easier to write a list of why it was someone else's fault than take a step back and critique their own performance. The people that have written negative reviews are, in MY opinion (and in no way the view of GQR), most likely characters that focus on / add to 'problems' rather than people who look for 'solutions' and who strive to come out on top i.e. those who are more likely destined for success in their career and their personal life. The former are , in MY opinion , most likely dependents that need their hand holding at all times. There is nothing wrong with this - the working world can be a competitive place if you're fresh out of college but if you fall into this category select a slow-paced job with slower career progression to accommodate your learning curve, ability to take on responsibility, and ability to fend for yourself.

If money is your goal there aren't many jobs in which a 22-24 year old can earn $100k+. It is very achievable, and there have been many examples at GQR. It baffles me that people who have gone through the interview process are complaining about working 12 hours day. If you expect to earn north of $100k from working a 9-5 in a graduate program think again. I also cannot comprehend those that say they have no work-life balance, you finish work at 8pm daily in Santa Monica…. a city that has restaurants, bars, comedy, 11 months of sunshine, the beach, juice bars, cross fit, yoga, roller blading to and from work - a personal fave, surfing, and that's not even mentioning the highest quality of people on tinder, possibly in the world!!!

If leading a team is your goal, those who are successful are able to hire in under 2 years.

If working & living in another city (LA/NY/London) is your goal then again, this is possible if you show capability.

Over the four years I worked at GQR, both in London and LA, I found there to be a good mix of friendly, fun, and hard-working personalities in each office, as well as varying levels of academic ability - if you wish to learn about the intricacies of quant finance etc you can but if you're less motivated by intellectual stimulation GQR is living proof that with their guidance an academic individual or a relatively unintelligent person, who might also even have the disadvantage of having the dress sense of a 1990s car salesperson, can do very well e.g. buy a brand new sportscar and vacation to the best beaches in the world or jet off to Europe or put a deposit down on an apartment within 2 years of working there.

I think I read a couple of reviews of people likening the office to wolf of wall street. It is FAR from that. Some might say unfortunately as we'd have much better stories to tell our grandchildren. Anyway, apparently GQR LA now has very cool offices 6 blocks from the beach. You're more likely to find bagels and smoked salmon cream cheese than anyone drunk or indulging in anything illegal in the office. It is however an office of 22-32 year olds who have confident, out-going personalities with some disposable income living in LA / NY. Yes there might be someone that swears in the office or the occasional unpolitically correct joke but it's in good spirit. If you're very easily offended perhaps apply to work in a library. If you want to work in an office where you can have the occasional laugh with colleagues and voluntarily want to go for a drink with them then this is that.

I personally conducted myself impeccably when it came to interacting with clients or job seekers and can safely say provided each with a high level of service. With regards to working there, my overall experience was positive including several company holidays, winning billing targets to get a ferrari for the week, getting a month paid vacation to go traveling, one awesome threesome, earning decent money, a few good friends etc. MOST importantly for someone considering their career, this job and company is a solid foundation for someone who wants to quickly get a well rounded education and real experience of being relatively successful and carrying themselves in a competitive working world i.e. negotiation, business development, confidence speaking with a diverse range of people who are experts in their field, a network of top professionals, originating business (and profit) out of nothing etc etc.

Cons

The cons are in my opinion largely a reaction if you are perceived not to be working hard.
    If as I mentioned you don't want to work 12 hours a day then this will by default by a con.
    Because I worked for 4 years across 2 different offices during 4 of the company's first 5 years I found that targets would change quite regularly. This can be annoying but I imagine that now things have been ironed out and so this will likely be less of a problem going forwards.
    There are a few other cons that are general and in truth found in every office.

Avoid this Toxic and Unethical Place!

Former Employee - Junior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

Learning the unpleasant side of business
    Young people
    Learning how to manipulate deals and people
    If you love the people you're working with, you get to spend most of your time with them in the office all 60+ hours

Cons

-There is no work-life balance here and the environment is toxic
    -They lied to me during the hiring process and made it seem like they were hiring people because they are growing when I was actually replacing someone who had only been there a few weeks
    -Their compensation and benefit scheme is a joke with an insanely low base that includes overtime (how does that even make sense if you're supposed to be exempt?). I'm not even sure how legitimate that is and the health coverage that they promised wasn't delivered
    -The supervisors are mostly untrained and if you ever went to them with any problems on payroll, time-off, even sometimes issues with recruiting it was painfully obvious how unprepared they are
    -Most of the people are very arrogant and put on a facade of friendliness to candidates and clients
    -They lie all the time and even encourage you to lie on your Linkedin profile by making it seem you've been there longer than you actually have e.g., Their most recent hires have start dates in 2013 but they started in the last half of 2014
    -They expect you to lie to candidates and clients, if you're not a pathological liar already, you will be
    -Here is The City is the only place that's given them their "award-winning" status and it seems that they're just chummy with GQR
    -The training was non-existent and nothing like they actually described
    -The recruiting software they use is absolute crap and if you need support you better hope it's early enough in the day that they're still in the office in the UK
    -Their expectations seem unrealistic. They used to advertise expected earnings of $90,000-$120,000 the first year but now advertise it starting at $40,000 (base+commission) which is really low if you're spending so much of your life there
    -They clearly prey on recent graduates
    -Why do they have so many different names? Wynden Stark? GQR? City Careers? City Internships? They pretend like they're sister companies but I don't see how that is if we all use the same equipment , office, database, and on the same payroll system
    -I really wish there would have been Glassdoor reviews before I interviewed with them so I could have avoided working in such a miserable place. Also, it seems like they need to import their recruiters who didn't even work in the London office but for other companies to trap them in with visa sponsorships to control the turn-over.

Advice to Management

Work on changing the unbearably toxic culture

Terrible Place to Work

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people to go out with. Work with the people in all of the offices. Young crowd.

Cons

Absolutely everything. I feel exploited each and every day that I am here. The hours are long and while you do get a base salary, it is absolutely not worth it considering you are working 60+ hours a week. There is NO work life balance. They are a dishonest company with the most pretentious, cunning people. You are forced to lie each and every day. And most people get into recruiting for the commission, however, you won't see any of your commission here. Every cent you are entitled to goes to the senior management and the company. In order to see a cent, you have to meet an insane "threshold" that they ensure you will meet, however, I have been here for quite some time and I do not think any one of us are going to realistically make it. The only people here that will make any real money are the "senior" team-heads. I am still here because I have to be, but I am most certainly ready and willing to leave at the next decent offer.

Any positive reviews on here were done by the current management since they are having trouble getting legitimate people to consider working here. The negative reputation that they have garnered is well deserved. It's sad that they have to calculate and manipulate us to write decent reviews to try and salvage this joke of a company. As for the other stuff, I am going to copy/past what another reviewer said because, in all honestly, all of it is absolutely true. They pray on new grads who don't have many other options and promise them everything under the sun. They will manipulate and take advantage of you. I promise. So, if you are considering working here, please DON'T relocate or make any sacrifices for this position and please take what I, and what this other reviewer have to say into consideration.

Other reviewer:

"They had lied about so many things and wasted a month and half of my time trying to seem exclusive in the interviewing process. They claim your base salary is 40,000USD which is normal for any recruiting agency, but once you're basically hooked, they send you some "contract" (to me it was just 2 pieces of paper someone wrote in a hurry) stating that actually you have to work 8am - 8pm and your base salary is just around 26,000USD + overtime equaling out to the 40,000. I'm not even sure if there was a real benefits package because it was so vague and HR was so uniformed when it came to Health Coverage inquiries.

I have interviewed since at other recruiters in the city, and all of them agree that this is not the standard. GQR will say that its a work hard, play hard mentality and that they make some of the highest commissions in all of the business - this could possibly be true seeing as they work with top execs. But honest to God, it will take any newcomer a year of their life before they start seeing any real money. I worked in the work-hard play-hard environment before, living my job, all over the world, and I will attest that work doesn't have to be this soul-sucking and mind-numbing to make good, hard cash if that's what you're looking for. At least go somewhere where your co-workers are nice since you'll be practically living together...

Speaking of Which...

CULTURE WAS TERRIBLE! I have worked with some of the top CEO's all around the world, and even they weren't as stuck up as some of my co-workers who I encountered here. Of course not everyone was terrible, but mostly they were not open and very condescending to any newcomers. Geez, give a 20-something year old an assistant (that's what you'll be as a newbie) in a company with no morals and they think they're God. There's only about 12 people total in the NYC office, and I didn't even know all of their names before I up and quit within my first week. (This is after basically uprooting my life and moving to NYC specifically for this job! You'd think I would want to give it more time, feel it out, right? NO, That's how bad it was. I didn't care that I didn't have anything lined up because this was just so far off the mark from what I was expecting. The company and people were so unprofessional, and I honestly wouldn't want to add that kind of experience to my resume let alone life track. Additionally, I can pick out maybe 2 people who I thought might be decent (excluding the trainees). Training 101, if you have a staff of 12 young people, introduce the new people on the first day, it won't take but a lunch break, and you're in no position to shun anyone in the work-place because of "status"

Last venting comment - Training was a joke for anyone who has ever had proper training. The company was so unorganized about it, they would have you leads list building for 10 hours straight, days on end, before they even attempted to get your mind focused on learning about the niche sector you were supposed to recruit in. Great tactic (sarcasm). That's totally backwards. If you want your newbies to retain and learn info quickly then don't kill our brains by forcing us to stare at a computer pressing the same 2 buttons for 10 hours a day before you ask us to research something that might actually be useful. As well, they weren't even transparent with their newest employees, even after we've already started (we are already working for you, now tell us the truth)! I asked a simple question in between my mind-numbing button-pressing about the cold-calls which is something that would be eventually be part of the training. The Managing Director refused to answer at the time and defended himself saying that it will take too much time to explain at the moment. (All in all, i just wanted to know if they lied when they say "so and so recommended us to call you" a Simple YES would have sufficed because they do - which isn't necessarily bad, this is a common sales-tactic to build value, but Lord oh Lord, I'm not stupid! Answer my questions if I'm in training, how else will I learn???)."

I can vouch that all of this was true then and is still true now.

Advice to Management

You treat people like this and run a company like this, all of it is bound to catch up to you.

8. Work-hard, play-hard environment. The days go by fast, the people are fun, good management

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career progression
    Competitive salary
    Fun company culture
    Incentives used to hit targets
    High energy

Cons

Long hours, they are eventually scaled back once you start meeting you targets.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. High energy, results driven environment with a great group of people to work with.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Potentially very lucrative
    Entrepreneurial
    Young company and young staff
    Great co-workers
    Incentives

Cons

Long hours, working from 8am to 8pm
    Tedious at times

Advice to Management

Continue to enhance the training structure for new hires by providing as many resources as possible to ease the learning curve and get started.

Exploits Newly Grads - Unprofessional - Stuck Up Work Culture

Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely no pros except the for the trainees I started with who were genuinely kind and hard-working people. As well it is a very hard-working staff, but just like any other. It was clear to me that this company's target is newly grads (which I was not), and they should stick with that because anyone in the work-force for over a year could spot this exploitative organization just one day into working there.

Speaking of Which...

***Some people DO see the light at the end of the tunnel in this position. Typically, newly grads with a go-getter, "can't be broken by hard, enduring work" type people might find solace here if they can hold out for 8-months to a year to hopefully start their road to riches. I didn't see the light.****

Advice to Management

-Challenge yourself to be more transparent as a company and as people
    -Don't brag about your training program because it was laughable
    -Don't claim to be the best unless you can back it up, in my opinion you can't and most of it is farce
    -Don't be so stuck up. There's no grounds for it. You are a start-up with a handful of employees in a few different cities where the management and seniors exploit newcomers and make all of the money, this much is clear. We're all people with probably the same goals that brought us here, so embrace that immediately and don't just shun people until you think they're worthy or cool enough to drink with you during lunch.

GQR Global Markets Response

Sep 23, 2014MD

We are disappointed with your comments you left on Glassdoor after leaving the firm.

We target highly driven graduates through to people with extensive tracks records in Sales and Recruitment
    ... More

To those writing poor reviews on GQR Global Markets..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

If you work in the recruitment industry or want to work in the recruitment industry this is just the place to be. I have worked at a few firms now and am here to stay.

Cons

What I really wanted to achieve in this review is to comment on those who have posted negative comments about GQR.

The fact is true of any headhunting/ recruitment job in existence that it is a hard job that requires a lot of time and energy (especially when you are new and trying to get up and running.) Like any recruitment job, we make the majority of our money on commission so the thinking is that the faster we can get people up and running, the faster THEY will have an established book of business and the faster THEY THEMSELVES will be making money. We do have high standards at GQR and do hold people accountable. This is not a company for individuals who don’t have exceptionally high standards for themselves and are not comfortable being accountable.

As to the quality of the work that is done at GQR-- please refer to our recent award for Best Front Office Recruitment Firm. Not just that but 80% of the placements we make are on an exclusive basis (for the senior consultants it is closer to 95%) which shows that our clients are happy with the work we do, and happy to work with us on that kind of commitment level.

If you are successful in recruitment, it is the best job in the world- if you are not it can be the worst. It is not surprising that some have had negative experiences because this job is not for everyone. If you are prepared to work extremely hard because you want a job that pays a lot of money (I’m 27 years old and will make over 300k this year), that offers solid career progression (thousands of markets/ locations yet to be built out), work with great people (my colleagues have become like family), want to have great relationships in both on both the client and candidate side (4 years into the business and I have not made a cold call in about a year) and want to be the best of the best in the industry- give us a call.

GQR Global Markets Photos