GQR Global Markets

Updated November 7, 2014
Updated November 7, 2014
3.3

Hugo Sugden

Work-hard, play-hard environment. The days go by fast, the people are fun, good management

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Career progression
    Competitive salary
    Fun company culture
    Incentives used to hit targets
    High energy

Cons

Long hours, they are eventually scaled back once you start meeting you targets.

Keep up the good work!

High energy, results driven environment with a great group of people to work with.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Potentially very lucrative
    Entrepreneurial
    Young company and young staff
    Great co-workers
    Incentives

Cons

Long hours, working from 8am to 8pm
    Tedious at times

Continue to enhance the training structure for new hires by providing as many resources as possible to ease the learning curve and get started.

Exploits Newly Grads - Unprofessional - Stuck Up Work Culture

Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely no pros except the for the trainees I started with who were genuinely kind and hard-working people. As well it is a very hard-working staff, but just like any other. It was clear to me that this company's target is newly grads (which I was not), and they should stick with that because anyone in the work-force for over a year could spot this exploitative organization just one day into working there.

Cons

They had lied about so many things and wasted a month and half of my time trying to seem exclusive in the interviewing process. They claim your base salary is 40,000USD which is normal for any recruiting agency, but once you're basically hooked, they send you some "contract" (to me it was just 2 pieces of paper someone wrote in a hurry) stating that actually you have to work 8am - 8pm and your base salary is just around 26,000USD + overtime equaling out to the 40,000. I'm not even sure if there was a real benefits package because it was so vague and HR was so uniformed when it came to Health Coverage inquiries.

I have interviewed since at other recruiters in the city, and all of them agree that this is not the standard. GQR will say that its a work hard, play hard mentality and that they make some of the highest commissions in all of the business - this could possibly be true seeing as they work with top execs. But honest to God, it will take any newcomer a year of their life before they start seeing any real money. I worked in the work-hard play-hard environment before, living my job, all over the world, and I will attest that work doesn't have to be this soul-sucking and mind-numbing to make good, hard cash if that's what you're looking for. At least go somewhere where your co-workers are nice since you'll be practically living together...

Speaking of Which...

CULTURE WAS TERRIBLE! I have worked with some of the top CEO's all around the world, and even they weren't as stuck up as some of my co-workers who I encountered here. Of course not everyone was terrible, but mostly they were not open and very condescending to any newcomers. Geez, give a 20-something year old an assistant (that's what you'll be as a newbie) in a company with no morals and they think they're God. There's only about 12 people total in the NYC office, and I didn't even know all of their names before I up and quit within my first week. (This is after basically uprooting my life and moving to NYC specifically for this job! You'd think I would want to give it more time, feel it out, right? NO, That's how bad it was. I didn't care that I didn't have anything lined up because this was just so far off the mark from what I was expecting. The company and people were so unprofessional, and I honestly wouldn't want to add that kind of experience to my resume let alone life track. Additionally, I can pick out maybe 2 people who I thought might be decent (excluding the trainees). Training 101, if you have a staff of 12 young people, introduce the new people on the first day, it won't take but a lunch break, and you're in no position to shun anyone in the work-place because of "status"

Last venting comment - Training was a joke for anyone who has ever had proper training. The company was so unorganized about it, they would have you leads list building for 10 hours straight, days on end, before they even attempted to get your mind focused on learning about the niche sector you were supposed to recruit in. Great tactic (sarcasm). That's totally backwards. If you want your newbies to retain and learn info quickly then don't kill our brains by forcing us to stare at a computer pressing the same 2 buttons for 10 hours a day before you ask us to research something that might actually be useful. As well, they weren't even transparent with their newest employees, even after we've already started (we are already working for you, now tell us the truth)! I asked a simple question in between my mind-numbing button-pressing about the cold-calls which is something that would be eventually be part of the training. The Managing Director refused to answer at the time and defended himself saying that it will take too much time to explain at the moment. (All in all, i just wanted to know if they lied when they say "so and so recommended us to call you" a Simple YES would have sufficed because they do - which isn't necessarily bad, this is a common sales-tactic to build value, but Lord oh Lord, I'm not stupid! Answer my questions if I'm in training, how else will I learn???).

***Some people DO see the light at the end of the tunnel in this position. Typically, newly grads with a go-getter, "can't be broken by hard, enduring work" type people might find solace here if they can hold out for 8-months to a year to hopefully start their road to riches. I didn't see the light.****

-Challenge yourself to be more transparent as a company and as people
    -Don't brag about your training program because it was laughable
    -Don't claim to be the best unless you can back it up, in my opinion you can't and most of it is farce
    -Don't be so stuck up. There's no grounds for it. You are a start-up with a handful of employees in a few different cities where the management and seniors exploit newcomers and make all of the money, this much is clear. We're all people with probably the same goals that brought us here, so embrace that immediately and don't just shun people until you think they're worthy or cool enough to drink with you during lunch.

GQR Global Markets Response

Sep 23, 2014MD

We are disappointed with your comments you left on Glassdoor after leaving the firm.

We target highly driven graduates through to people with extensive tracks records in Sales and Recruitment
    ... More

To those writing poor reviews on GQR Global Markets..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

If you work in the recruitment industry or want to work in the recruitment industry this is just the place to be. I have worked at a few firms now and am here to stay.

Cons

What I really wanted to achieve in this review is to comment on those who have posted negative comments about GQR.

The fact is true of any headhunting/ recruitment job in existence that it is a hard job that requires a lot of time and energy (especially when you are new and trying to get up and running.) Like any recruitment job, we make the majority of our money on commission so the thinking is that the faster we can get people up and running, the faster THEY will have an established book of business and the faster THEY THEMSELVES will be making money. We do have high standards at GQR and do hold people accountable. This is not a company for individuals who don’t have exceptionally high standards for themselves and are not comfortable being accountable.

As to the quality of the work that is done at GQR-- please refer to our recent award for Best Front Office Recruitment Firm. Not just that but 80% of the placements we make are on an exclusive basis (for the senior consultants it is closer to 95%) which shows that our clients are happy with the work we do, and happy to work with us on that kind of commitment level.

If you are successful in recruitment, it is the best job in the world- if you are not it can be the worst. It is not surprising that some have had negative experiences because this job is not for everyone. If you are prepared to work extremely hard because you want a job that pays a lot of money (I’m 27 years old and will make over 300k this year), that offers solid career progression (thousands of markets/ locations yet to be built out), work with great people (my colleagues have become like family), want to have great relationships in both on both the client and candidate side (4 years into the business and I have not made a cold call in about a year) and want to be the best of the best in the industry- give us a call.

Hard work, long hours but great mid-long term opportunities

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I think this firm can be summed up in a nut shell - positives are great pay when you are on target (and better when above!), great career progression opportunities and they are happy to relocate you internationally. Negatives - you work incredibly hard to succeed which to me wasn't really a negative.
    I had a good experience there, I was happy with my team leader and felt I got the guidance I needed to be a success. After almost two good years I had to move on for family reasons but otherwise would still be there.
    For me - there were some incredible highs and also lows when things don't go your way but I think I was always very fairly treated in terms of the reviews of how I was working / could improve.
    Ultimately, sales is not for everyone. Having read a lot of the reviews and having interviewed people myself, the firm goes to great lengths to describe the hours / number of calls you'll be making / fact that you will need to be able to step up and manage your own time. Those that leave often just have not realized that not everything in life is there for you to have maximum benefit with minimum effort

Cons

Like any sales role the hours are long and the targets are tough. The plus side to this is that you are paid well on your successes. Could there be more thorough training? Probably. Do they expect people to be able to grasp things quickly? Most definitely. Recruitment is tough, I think people forget this - you are going to be competing with other firms and people who have been working in the market for 10/15 years so you have to get up to speed quickly.

Positives - career path, earnings
    Negatives - long hours

Horrible and exploitative place to work! Don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Business Development Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of young people working in the office.

Cons

Everything. They totally used bait and switch techniques when they hired me--even blatantly lying about benefits like health insurance. In the contracts/employee handbook it states you work 8-5pm (normal) but really they want you to work everyday 8am to 8pm without overtime pay. Claim its salary pay, but if you work 60 hours a week you're actually making less than minimum wage per hour. They had the nerve to pay pennies and then not even pay us the correct amount or on time. Want you to make 200 calls a day, and meet impossible sales goals,. Don't allow breaks--will reprimand you if you take any (which is illegal since they're legally mandated--ESPECIALLY for such long hours). Want you to call if you're going to be 2 minutes late. The commission structure made it out like you could make $100k in a year, but in actuality it was impossible given the structure, which I'm not sure is entirely legal given many of the candidates were . I highly doubt the company is profitable and it probably won't be around for much longer. They have a million different company names they go by, probably because they are a fly by night company. Blatantly lies to everyone--employees, prospective clients over the phone, potential candidates--EVERYONE. Can't trust anything they say. Would encourage you to lie too. The office is filthy and the AC didn't work (why they didn't fix it is beyond me). Said it was just a temporary location until they moved to Santa Monica (yeah right). The phone and internet would go down and they'd try to give you rudimentary busy work. Not even a coffee machine in the office, only an empty fridge and water (sometimes). The managers can't be bothered to help you with any issue, but will reprimand you for going to the bathroom too many times or coming 2 minutes late from lunch.

Just shut down.

An Unethical and Horrible Place To Work!

Current Employee - Junior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people who work there are a pretty fun young crowd. While I never want to work with them, they are cool people to hang out with after hours.

Cons

Company Culture: First off, the company operates under a few different names..GQR, Wynden Stark, City Careers. It is really just weird. They lie to clients and candidates about where they are calling from and give fake names. They spam job boards. They pride themselves doing Executive Searches for upper levels and VPs only but really will take any positions and don't have any retained searches. They don't not care about quality or building relationships. When talking to "candidates", they only care about where they are interviewing and who their managers are so you can steal the positions from other recruiters. If you didn't get that out of the conversation, you weren't successful. They want you to make 100 calls in two hours (no joke) and must rush people off the phone by saying "I have a meeting". They will force candidates into a position even if it is not a good fit just to make money. They are very manipulating. Maybe that is why they have all the different company names... because after a few months nobody wants to work with them!

Work/life balance: A minimum of 60 hours, 7 am- 7pm. To be better than anyone else, you must stay late and work weekends. Everyone there seems coked out or on speed, probably to keep up with the ridiculous pace. Imagine Wolf of Wall Street! If you get up too often from your desk, you get a glare from the CEO.

Office: There are about 15 people crammed in one room. The office is dirty and disgusting. There are huge stains all over the carpet. The database software is outdated, slow, and crashes.

Training: I was hired as an entry level position and was told there would be training provided. Because all they care about is numbers, who can make the most calls, get the most interviews, and bill the most, my "mentor" didn't have any time to really train or guide me.

Salary: They promise you will be making 100k but once working there I really didn't get the sense anyone was making that. Also, once reviewing my offer letter with other REPUTABLE executive search companies, I was told the pay was incredibly low.

Seriously don't fall for all the crap they tell you when you are going through the hiring process because the real job is a complete nightmare. Don't be enticed by the once in a blue moon trip to Big Bear or Vegas, its not worth it cause that will be your only real vacation once you start there.

A great move with a company that has a promising future!

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

The people, earning potential, career prospects, autonomy, opportunities and guidance.

Cons

Long hours (as expected in the industry) and it is still a growing business so not every situation has a clear path/HR process to follow. Great for people who want to work for a privately owned company that they can help grow with.

Unprofessional & Greedy - AVOID!

Former Employee - Associate Agent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Agent in New York, NY

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working for gqr global markets - terrible people to work for.

Cons

-Employees are manipulative, greedy and very rude
    -They only care about themselves
    -They are the last people you would ever want to work with
    - They pretend they are busy and important
    -They are condescending
    -They speak very poorly of people
    - Avoid them at all cost

-Leave

Decent place to work

Former Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are driven individuals at GQR

Cons

GQR really has high expectations of its employees.

Treat your employees better