GRBS Reviews

Reset
2.2
Rex Kuhn

1. Custodian

I have been working at GRBS part-time

Pros

Nice breaks, supervisors are nice.

Cons

No benefits, sometimes you can get laid off.

Advice to Management

They need to be more aware and do something when they say they gne do it .

2. This place is garbage

Current Employee - Custodian in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Custodian in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GRBS

Pros

You are left alone to work most of the time

Cons

-Poor Management -Supervisors are inexperienced and inconsistent

3. Love the job hate the employer

I worked at GRBS

Pros

Enjoyed working in the school environment. School staff was very welcoming.

Cons

Management was not very supportive. very high employee turn over rate. no raises after 1st year crappy benefits and no 401k or retirement options unless you are management.

Advice to Management

Take care of your front line employees! work on your communication skills!

5. Money not worth the time

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at GRBS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of any.

Cons

Politics - you have to play the game. I'm willing to play the game but not willing to sell my soul for it. Ridiculous low pay - if you want to pay your employees that little.. don't expect 55+ hours of out them Micro management - salaried employees required report time spent on every account - who tracks salaried employees that close? Blind leading the blind - Management is not subject matter experts in their field - no one really knows what they're doing Low pay - WAY below industry standard

Advice to Management

Be open to other's opinions... and opinions of those who aren't in "the family".

6. A joke of a job

I worked at GRBS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are left unsupervised for a large majority of your shift.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care about anything other than not getting complaints. They are slow to replace equipment/supplies and upper management only shows up when they receive a complaint which usually results in angry management placing blame on staff regardless of who is truly to blame. The biggest issue is that if you're not careful of keeping track of your hours they will stiff you on pay. You have to track down a manager to get it fixed and they usually forget/ignore you unless you threaten to talk to HR. I'm not a "disgruntled" employee. I am just being honest. Its a waste of time for a job. Huge turn over rate with supervisors because theyre underqualified and under trained. You will be asked to work double the amount in a normal shift because employees are always leaving early or calling off. Cannot keep a school staffed because so many people quit. This job ends up being more stressful. They will post online offering 10$ but only pay you 9$ or less. Inconsistent and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Management does not care about you. They only show up to scold you if there are complaints. They are cheap and underqualified.

7. not too bad kind of seculded

Current Employee - Janitor in Howell, MI
    Current Employee - Janitor in Howell, MI

I have been working at GRBS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pretty much work on your own everyone very friendly

Cons

the time they give you to complete a job or several jobs is efficient enough time you feel very overwhelmed

Advice to Management

need proper training and the managers aand supervisors should know the schools and how to use the equipment

8. Profit Minded - Less Concerned About Quality

I worked at GRBS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Streamlined, growth-oriented, sometimes customer focused

Cons

Little employee training or opportunities, profit above all else

Advice to Management

Too lean at top. Junior management and staff pushed very hard. Additional training needed for staff. improve organizational structure.

Good company in a thankless industry.

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at GRBS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture. GRBS, Inc. has done very good things to create a culture that is enticing in an industry that is not.

Cons

Too much emphasis on documentation where more emphasis should be placed upon client and employee contact and nurturing. Middle management burns out or fails to report accurate information due to too many hours required for reporting. True example "over-management" and lack of confidence in their field managers.

Advice to Management

Reduce "over-management" and instill confidence in those representing your company. Your client base is less impressed with tracking and documentation and more impressed by those that you entrust to do the job. Do not hide behind numbers and reports as they are not as important in the commercial cleaning services relationship as those who actually care for the facility. Invest the time and money in developing and paying your staff. This is where your money is made.

10. Cleaning a local bank for GRBS has some rewards beyond the pay received and can be well viewed as an opportunity.

Current Employee - Bank Cleaner in Grand Ledge, MI
    Current Employee - Bank Cleaner in Grand Ledge, MI

I have been working at GRBS part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GRBS has bank cleaning work available throughout the state of Michigan. Bank cleaners are not supervised; I enjoy the resulting independence and solitude when at work. There is some flexibility as to when the work can be done, because one works alone. One's mind is free to think of the most recent mental task set aside before one goes to clean. If one is reliable and does work that demonstrates that one cares about the concerns of one's employer and of the people directly impacted by one's work (bank employees), one will be appreciated and be able to look forward to job security (not to be discounted in today's world). GRBS has been in business about 100 years, which I believe is due to its possession of the basic traits required for a business to survive in the long term. As an employee, one is a part of that achievement. There are opportunities for advancement; if one possesses reliable transportation, it is worth looking into advancement after getting a firm handle on the realities of the many cleaning tasks required over time for a single location.

Cons

Two sets of cons come to my mind: first, those attendant to being a bank cleaner, and, second, those that would need to be addressed should one seek to function as a supervisor or manager of bank cleaners at GRBS. As a cleaner, even if one does superb work, increases in pay cannot be expected as it stands. Building maintenance in a line position is not a lucrative industry (I do not know about the situation for supervisors and managers). In addition, expectations concerning work are unrealistic given the time budgeted. Separately, in my own situation, my supervisor/manager has changed about every twelve months. As a result, building supportive working relationships (good will and a good reputation as a result of good work) is a challenge. Although GRBS has been in business for a century, its apparent problems sometimes leads me to wonder how it is possible that the company has survived, and why more problems have not been permanently corrected. For example, as a bank cleaner, I have found that the managers/supervisors I report to and rely upon for the delivery of cleaning supplies and such things as arranging for vacation pay have too often been disappointing over the six years I have worked for GRBS. I can understand why all these drawbacks exist, and they would be difficult (or impossible) to fix, but there is another flaw that begs to be mentioned, which is somewhat vexing for anyone wanting to respect their employer. Although there is a wealth of knowledge in the field, in the minds of people doing the work, incredibly, precious little interest on the part of those presently running GRBS is expressed with respect to feedback from those in the trenches. Every two weeks, a newssheet (two to four pages of information) is mailed with paychecks. The newssheet could be used to establish two-way communication with potential benefits for all (addressing communications from workers), but it is presently not being done. Last to mention, cleaning is work that does not, in general, command respect from wide swaths of the population. Self-respect, self-esteem, and self-love are supported through this work mainly (my opinion) when it is part of a lengthy personal history (or just one small part of daily life), like one chapter in a book.

Advice to Management

Invite feedback from workers.

Hard work for low pay

Former Employee - Cleaner
    Former Employee - Cleaner

I worked at GRBS part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like getting minimum wage to work out, never had to diet while doing this job

Cons

No raises, high supervisor turnover (6 in 3 years), difficult to get anyone to sub Claimed I wasn't eligible for vacation pay, contradicting their own employee handbook

Advice to Management

It would be much more likely that you would stay in business if you gave your supervisors and the cleaning staff who actually do the work more respect.

RSS Feed </> Embed