GS Marketing Reviews

Updated July 16, 2014
Updated July 16, 2014

2.8

CEO

Passionate associates, for the most part.

I have been working at GS Marketing part-time

Pros

As many have said before, the front-liners, and the in-the-trenchers are what make this company great, despite the mishandling and juggling of important strategic decisions. We workers bees do an amazing job with what little resources we are given (mostly time and manpower). Somehow we find a way.

Cons

Work life balance is what you make of it. I see projects doled out in the late afternoon with a red-hot ASAP deadline. Then the managers and higher-ups leave for the evening while the rest of us are left in their wake. The first rule of successful project management is coming up with a timeline and project plan. This company will learn that one way or another...

STOP letting good talented people walk away. Fight for them if you feel like they are worth keeping. Money, while great, isn't the only thing that motivates us. Being recognized by your peers, or simply being told "Hey, great job" is what will keep us going. A superficial, transparent "shout-out" board is all well and good, but at the end of the day feels contrived and forced, at least that is how I feel, personally.

Happy at GS Marketing

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company really takes care of their employees with great benefits, flexible work environment (great for families), comfortable building and nice perks

This is a family work environment, small company with a close knit work force. Everyone seems to truly enjoy the company of their coworkers.

There is opportunity for those who are highly motivated “doers” and are willing to seek it out, you will not be given a traditional “5 year plan” but as long as you are dedicated and produce exceptional work this should not hold you back.

At GS Marketing you are always busy and there are tons of associate engagement functions.

Cons

No company is perfect but this one is better than others I have worked for., especially among those of a "corporate" nature.

Due to recent growth spurts of the company there is a lack of organization/ownership on some projects, as long as you are someone who likes a challenge and new opportunities you will be fine. You also have to speak up and ask questions for clarity.

Not a CON for some but again, you have to be self-motivated to seek out/ask for new opportunities and prove why you deserve them. If you are not willing to make every day and situation work for you, have candid conversations about what you want out of your career and take the initiative to make things happen this may not be the place for you.

Do not become complacent - things are moving fast - keep changing and growing with the industry, company and associates. Even though things are busy, continue to stop and acknowledge the talent and dedication of those hardworking individuals on your team, it is much appreciated!

Great People, Great Benefits

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time

Pros

To me, the best part of going to work everyday, is the people that I work with. People at GS Marketing are really friendly, outgoing and very willing to help each other out. I think GS Marketing also has a good grasp of understanding that people need a work-life balance to be happy. GS Marketing is a part of a larger parent company, so we really get great benefits and perks in terms of sporting events, concerts, associate recognition, etc.

Cons

I've been with GS Marketing for a little over a year and a half now and for me, the pros outweigh the cons but no job is perfect.
    My biggest issue with GS Marketing is that there is often a lack of communication between leadership and those of us "on the front lines". The associates at GS Marketing put in a lot of good work, and everything gets done, which is a testament to the people that work here. It would be nice though to see recognition of where we need help and then investment in people/systems for getting that help.

I think that associates, management and the business as a whole would benefit if management were to take more of an investment approach in their associates and the associates that they choose to hire.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GS Marketing has provide a wonderful work environment and great leadership who cares.

Current Employee - Technology  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technology in Houston, TX

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason to work for GS Marketing is work-life balance. I can only speak of a couple time that I was required to stay beyond my work schedule. It has been a very friendly and pleasant workplace.

Cons

Since GS Marketing is a small company, quick growth is limited. However, if you have true talent you can grow within the many Friedkin Companies.

Continue the company gatherings as this provides a fun work environment to all staff.

GS Marketing leadership continues to look the other way after tenured employees leave.

I worked at GS Marketing

Pros

Beautiful faculty. The benefits are great and the on site workout facility is top notch. The parking garage is a nice touch with Texas heat.

Cons

While a great place to begin a career, GS Marketing does a horrible job providing a vision and career path for young professionals. The "leadership team" as they so fondly like to call themselves lack true automotive experience and the ability to quickly make decisions. You have multiple Vice Presidents and Directors overseeing areas in which they have no training or expertise. The biggest deficiency with GS marketing is their inability to actually produce a product in which they are not a reseller. Every vertical they try and enter has to be with a "partner/vendor" because they don't own any technology. They find companies that have an existing product and then try and stamp their logo on it and say it is GS Marketing's product. There are several flaws with this approach. First, when the product was developed by the vendor there isn't any GS Marketing input therefore the product isn't created with the automotive dealer in mind. Secondly and most importantly, the price has to be marked up to create a profit. The sales force has to approach dealers with a product that wasn't developed with their best interest and then they have sell it at price that isn't competitive. Finally, whenever the the re-marketed product breaks or needs enhancements they are at the mercy of the vendor/partner. This creates a customer service nightmare and again calls on the leadership to resolve which they do by issuing credits. This does not address the problem at it's core.

Tear down the leadership team, cut the dead weight. Decide if you want to be an agency, reseller or order taker. Add automotive experience at key positions and spend time in the dealerships when developing products and support models. Stop chasing the next big thing and innovate. Create a path and stop following paths that were created by someone else.

From Fun to Good to Hate

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time

Pros

The associates. Those that work and put in the long unappreciated hours, working tirelessly to try to produce the rushed and unrealistic expectations of management. The campus is beautiful...Gym, on site cafe, sister companies with potential to move to.

Cons

The Executive Management has been somewhat turned over in the last 2 years. At first it seemed a good move but in time it appears to have been a bad one. Some of the executives that have been brought in, and others that were given a position because of who they knew, are terrible. They lack vision, direction and basic understanding of what leaders are supposed to do. They cant read their associates and appear to be completely blind to the declining moral, even with key associates clearly signaling that they are leaving. Shame on you...

The day to day is always rushed and Operations management has a "Yes" attitude that unrealistically sets sales up to do whatever they want even though the company cant produce it efficiently. I don't know how the associates always seem to gather together to make things happen, one of these days we will all wake up and just say "no" i wont work late for you.

Departments are understaffed because we don't want to add "expenses" since margins are tight and we are losing business. Of course if there was strategy and direction from executive management maybe we wouldn't be in this position. I mean we all saw this coming at least 6 months ago and the writing has been on the wall for years. We could never sustain with the way we did business 5 years ago without adapting.

We claim to be a marketing agency, but clearly we aren't. We don't even have a copywriter and a QA department, which are both drastically needed. We rely on associates not experienced in those disciplines to produce the work and QA themselves.

Take a look at each other and the ones that should leave, take a hike. you know who you are... heck you aren't even happy here, you just complain about why we cant do this or that. I guess you got the job thinking it would be easy since the business was "set up". Oh yeah, did i mention that we work for Toyota and that executives and managers have a fantastic car program? here another hint, if you work for Toyota, don't drive a Honda... and if you need to keep the Honda then at least still drive the company car to work...

Out of touch, not innovative, not a place to gain and learn new skills

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The gym is wonderful and offers free classes. The enclosed parking, beautiful campus, friendly associates. People have been there for a long time.

Good place to work if your parent runs or owns a dealership. Your application will be put on the top of the stack, do not worry about being qualified (what is that in the grand scheme of things).

Cons

People have been in the same roles for more than 10 years in some cases with no opportunity for advancement. The move the weak links around in to new positions instead of letting them go. The associates who are doing well do not get advanced they get stuck in the same position. Their is no focus on career development.

Not a marketing/advertising company. A mail house at best because they slap their name on other vendors products and market it as their own without really understanding how it works.

No diversity in leadership team. Some members of leadership team are inappropriate at best in their day to day behavior. It is a good place for you to die in your career.

You will not learn any new skills. May not even use the skills you have.

No training program for new associates. No true retraining for existing employees.

Employee morale is low and depressing environment.

Hire qualified candidates based on qualifications not just connections and the color of their skin. Pay people what they are worth.

Develop a training program for associates. Career development programs are necessary. Employees are sad and in a career rut. Take advantage of your current assets (employees). They have skills let them use them. Stop holding on to employees with high salaries who bring no value.

Take employee complaints seriously. Let hr do its job.

Great people and great benefits

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

To me, the best part of going to work everyday, is the people that I work with. People at GS Marketing are really friendly, outgoing and very willing to help each other out. I think GS Marketing also has a good grasp of understanding that people need a work-life balance to be happy. GS Marketing is a part of a larger parent company, so we really get great benefits. Our biggest client is Toyota, so we also get pretty great perks in terms of sporting events, concerts, associate recognition, etc.

frustrating at best

Current Employee - Worker  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Worker in Houston, TX

I have been working at GS Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

the building looks cool. company phones are iPhone's! haha

Cons

open office design - no privacy, clueless management, churn and burn attitude, no planning, no concept of how to run a successful company, extremely top heavy, no concept of project management, no respect for other departments, constantly giving assignments LATE and forcing long hours and holiday work

hire more qualified management personnel, your current staff is running the organization into the ground.

Worked for GS Marketing? Contribute to the Community!