GSA

GSA Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

GSA Acting Administrator Daniel M. Tangherlini

Daniel M. Tangherlini

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance and the majority of employees are dedicated to do the best they know how"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Work life Balance, Leave, Alternate Work Schedules"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not as in tune with private-sector business principles as one would hope"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Many times the Central Office sends out changes without advance notification and not well communicated"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Learned a lot about how the federal government works.

I worked at GSA

ProsGood work/life balance, great co-workers.

ConsNot good for people not prepared to spend their entire life in the government sector.

Horrible managment

I worked at GSA

ProsGovernment work, stable and decent benifits.

ConsHorrific management. Too many people in upper management just because they're clung on for 20+ years. Under educated and immature.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

Federal employment opportunities may be on the decline based upon the overall shrinkage of the Federal government.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at GSA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsService to country still means something to some of us.

ConsManagement style is in transition, much more prescriptive than in the past. Processes & their related metrics appear to be the most important outcome. Processes and tools are more important than customer satisfaction. Compensation does not keep pace with industry and promotion opportunities are on the decline due to a shrinking Federal government.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstill respect as a core value, it needs to be more than just lip-service. The level of morale continues to fall. People work harder and achieve greater results when there is respect in the workplace.

Overall Good Place to Work

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Auburn, WA

I have been working at GSA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLiveral leave policy and flexible work schedules.

ConsMany employees are not as empowered as they used to be.

This is a well organized operation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at GSA full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is aPositive working environment.

ConsNeed to work on stability

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Industrial Operations Analyst

I worked at GSA

ProsPeople and projects within GSA feel very much like private sector. Compensation is fair, people are motivated and rewarded based on merit with bonuses.

ConsInteracting with most agencies outside of GSA is frustrating. It is the typical complaint about government (slow, inefficient, etc) processes. Unfortunately this is an inescapable part of the job.

No light at the end of this tunnel

Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at GSA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits. Telework and transit benefits are excellent. Good salaries if you work in a core business line. Good people to work with.

ConsManagement is incompetent. Most managers have worked in the Federal government their whole careers and don't know how to manage outside of the prescriptive policies of the bureaucracy. They have no vision. They hold fast to their fiefdoms. Transparency is a joke; they don't communicate with their own people let alone customers. There's no budget for training or travel. Bad as it is, it's going to get a lot worse when we go to a mobile work environment (no assigned desks).

Consolidation of decision making in DC has hamstrung Regional offices, destroyed morale, and devastated productivity. No one can make a move without checking with DC first. Projects have been delayed for months for fear of running afoul of Central Office. Purchasing equipment is a bureaucratic nightmare that costs a thousand times more in employee time than the cost of the equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're not going to step aside, learn your jobs. You haven't been anointed as a god-head. Learn how to motivate and manage people. Learn how to process information to understand trends. Stop wasting time pontificating on things you know little about and let the experts on your staff have a role in decision making. Delegate and empower.

Where ambitious young employees lose their passion

IT Specialist (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at GSA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGSA has some very interesting offerings (Fleet, Buildings & contract managements) which allows for opportunities across the agency. It is relatively easy to move around the agency into different positions if you feel the need to try something new.

Location, Location, Location - Close to the White House.
Living in and around DC can be great (once you figure out traffic), the culture and opportunities that are at your fingertips are fantastic.

ConsBureaucracy will eat your soul! This was my first job out of college and although I had some great experiences and opportunities the constant struggle of bureaucracy will eventually kill your spirit.

Cost of Living in DC area is ridiculous for entry level employees, you are either living an hour out of the city or you are truly living paycheck to paycheck (all the while eating Ramen).

Contracting Officer at GSA

Contracting Officer (Former Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

I worked at GSA full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible work schedule
Telework capability
Family atmosphere

ConsBudget crunch
Afraid to have birthday parties for fear of being seen as wasteful

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to reward high performing individuals.

Decent federal agency with great work/life balance

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at GSA full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat work/life balance. Agency embraces telework, alternative work schedules, mobile technology. Tremendous opportunities for newer employees to take on high amounts of responsibility. GSA is at the intersection of many different areas of government which can make working at the agency interesting, albeit complicated.

ConsA Federal agency with a high amount of bureaucracy that can infiltrate daily decision-making. Continual changes in senior leadership every few years results in continual analysis and sometimes needless reinvention of agency wide processes.

Worked for GSA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GSA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GSA CEO Daniel M. Tangherlini. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by GSA employees.