GSD&M Reviews

GSD&M CEO Duff M. Stewart
Duff M. Stewart

Great people

I worked at GSD&M full-time

Pros

Excellent group of caring people.

Cons

Lots of overtime and the pay isn't great.

"Best" in Austin...

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at GSD&M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Located in Austin and right across the street from Whole Foods. Cool perks - free food, concert tickets, parties, the occasional booze fest, some cool people, national clients.

Cons

A previous review said it best: cool but kind of a sweatshop. Low level employees aren't compensated fairly. Unsure if this is omnicom policy or internal. Youre expected to work weekends and all hours of the night to get projects done without overtime pay.

Runs on the idea that were "Austin" and that we should all be grateful to work at the biggest shop in town. Lots of levels and very bureaucratic environment - hard to move up.

Spend more time mentoring and leading the younger employees - they will be the future of the company, or they will leave and create great work elsewhere. Stop churning and burning talent and pay a fair wage for the hard work everyone does.

Not too bad

I have been working at GSD&M as an intern

Pros

The agency is really growing. I see really amazing things happening for GSD&M in the near future. Great people nice culture.

Cons

It's very easy to feel invisible here as an intern sometimes. I wanted the opportunity to really build my portfolio and get some amazing experience but I was left a little bit unsatisfied.

Take the time to at least meet your interns. Especially if you are their immediate supervisor.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, Okay Work, Low Pay

Former Employee - Creative
    Former Employee - Creative

I worked at GSD&M full-time

Pros

There are definitely smart and nice people working there who care about their work and the agency as a whole. Time off at holidays, Summer Fridays, pretty good about vacation time. They do their best to make the office seem fun and cool: free beer, little daytime events, SXSW party, etc. However it is hard to enjoy a beer when you have 3 pending deadlines and have already worked 50 hours that week.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance. Little to no chance for career advancement. Low pay. The only way to get a raise or promotion is to leave. Creative management seems pretty detached from the day to day work. Kind of a good-old boys' network at the higher levels. Pay is way below industry standards even for Austin.

Try to win smaller and cooler clients, pay people properly, and then maybe you can have the stylish agency you are so desperately searching for.

It's pretty cool but kinda a sweat shop

I have been working at GSD&M

Pros

Fun people and work atmosphere. Only place to work in Austin if you love advertising!

Cons

Some people abuse the freedom and bring down everyone else.
    You'll work 60 weeks. And no overtime.

Take care of the people that have been there the longest and have been loyal to GSD&M. Those people have held the foundation up all these years. We are the core that have kept the fire burning.

Great culture, good people, hard work

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at GSD&M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work culture promotes having fun and getting to know your coworkers; company stands by their core values

Cons

Don't count on working a 40 hour week for most positions, it is an ad agency;

Invest in more training and leadership, give employees the tools to be promoted and grow in their roles.

Solid place for an intern.

Former Employee - Communications Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at GSD&M as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Supervisors were very positive and interested in intern development. The building and space is great, and the vibe during the summer is relaxed and independent. Lots of things happening, feels like a productive environment.

Cons

When I was there, the entire office was going through a huge adjustment--they had just recovered from lots of layoffs and there was a palpable sense of things feeling a bit shaky and uncertain.

Great for Career Starts & Boomerangs

Current Employee - Assistant Media Planner  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Media Planner in Austin, TX

I have been working at GSD&M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working here was the perfect start to my career; gives you the right depth and breadth of experience to open so many doors for future opportunities.

Cons

The salary is low and promotions/raises are seldom if ever... BUT the experience is the true compensation.

Solid company, Creative on the upswing

I have been working at GSD&M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture. Respect for the work and for the most part your personal time.

Cons

Passive/aggressive culture of the recent past culture can creep up at times.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Great people & great work

I have been working at GSD&M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great group of people who want to do the best work for all their clients. Definitely a place that you get as much as you put in.

Cons

Horrible Coffee, I mean the worst. But thats about it.

Worked for GSD&M? Contribute to the Community!