GSN (Game Show Network) Reviews

GSN (Game Show Network) President and CEO David Goldhill
David Goldhill

1. Still surprised how much I love working here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GSN (Game Show Network) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Super smart people who don't take themselves to seriously, makes it fun to work there
    - Open communication, people are ok saying hey... is that a good idea? I really value that.
    - Real work life balance -- which is hard to find, I still am waiting for my all nighters that just never came!
    - Can't speak for every department, but in my world.. wiliness at all levels to roll up their sleeves and pitch in if it calls for it
    - Open to new ideas and trying new things, creativity and innovation is really valued
    - Not a perfect execution (weekly rockstar awards with gift cards), but at least an attempt to recognize good work across the teams at all levels.

Cons

- Currently growing like crazy and that forces change, as a new-ish employee the decisions being made to support the growth seem smart (re-orgs for example) but I do see that the change is a little hard for others.
    - Sometimes communication is not great about big decisions... less about what the decisions are, but more around why they were made.
    - Lots of big personalities and smart people... can be a little challenging for the soft spoken to get "heard"

Advice to Management

- This is improving, but explaining the why of decisions goes a long way, management should be responsible for communicating down, I don't think all leaders are created equal in this regard.
    - Remember change is hard for everyone, be sensitive to how individuals will feel about reorgs and not ONLY how it will affect the business.

2. Amazing culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GSN (Game Show Network)

Pros

The people at GSN are what make it great. The culture is one of hard work in the day, but frequent company outings on weekends and after work. There are company sponsored ball games, wine tastings, sailing trips, etc.

The work is engaging and interesting in marketing at least. Can't speak to dev.

Cons

There can be a push to finish crazy projects quickly.

3. Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GSN (Game Show Network) as an intern

Pros

Free coffee and snacks. People were friendly. Good buff for the resume, but didn't make any lasting connections.

Cons

I came on having high hopes for this place, but it was an incredible let down. I never felt like a team member and specifically questioned my importance there. There was a learning curve, and no/little training. I felt like the "internship" program implemented too many things that made it seem like extra school work and not a job experience. I get that they're trying to prepare us for the real world, but it's too much. My so-called mentor really didn't fill the role.

Advice to Management

Meetings and time management are an issue. Even from an intern's perspective, the office always seemed in constant disarray and no one seemed to have a clear goal of what was going on.

Best Gaming Company in SF

Current Employee - Analytics in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analytics in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GSN (Game Show Network) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to learn the ins and outs of game design, product management, art, analytics, software engineering, or anything else you'd be hard-pressed to find something better.

The technology is absolutely cutting edge, and management is more than happy to support (monetarily and time-wise) a person's desire to explore new ways to accomplish things. There is no "GSN way" or arrogance here, and you're given freedom to experiment, while being supported if you fail.

Culture is amazing at GSN, and you'll realize within a few weeks this is waaaaay better than Zynga, EA, Storm8, Kabam, TinyCo, Booyah, Crowdstar, Kixeye, or wherever else someone might also (erroneously) consider.

Everyone at the company is awesome, top to bottom, in all the departments. Might sound like BS, but seriously, this is a fantastic place to work, and the people are a big reason why. Bring your A game, because GSN doesn't hire dummies. You'll level up just being around the talent they have.

Compensation is high, company outlook is good, great benefits, tons of fun parties and events. Why would you not want to work here? Seriously, get applying!

Cons

Depending on your role, you might have to work a little late on occasion. But this is pretty rare, and nothing crazy. Um.... Nothing else comes to mind. They even have really comfortable chairs.

Not really much to complain about, the pay is good, the company is good, the people are good. It's even in a convenient location!

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on, you guys rock.

6. THE best place to work by far

Current Contractor - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GSN (Game Show Network) as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working with the recruiting team at GSN. We're a small but scrappy group of folks and there's always daily challenges to meet. Opportunities for personal and career development are unlimited. My responsibilities have expanded quickly within the past six months of being here due to the aggressive growth track of our nationwide offices.

The company's collaborative team culture is excellent as well and the fun monthly events help to maintain a sense of camaraderie between employees. In short, I go to work here feeling like I am actually contributing something important to the company while having fun doing it!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize great work from employees and maintain an encouraging, collaborative environment.

RSS Feed </> Embed