GSW Worldwide

Updated November 20, 2014
2.8

GSW Worldwide President Phil Deschamps
Phil Deschamps

Great Internship with some flaws that could have improved my time there.

Former Employee - Digital in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital in New York, NY

I worked at GSW Worldwide as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Location -> being from NJ, it was a few blocks walk from Port Authority
    -The overall Intern Program -> I learned a lot, got some new code in my toolbelt, and had a chance to work on my team building and presentation skills.
    - Easy to work with staff -> everyone was willing to help you out or collaborate with you, making you feel like a full-fledged member on the team
    - Freedom to try new things -> amongst the work, there were times where I was free to work on my own projects and see where I can fit them into projects for GSW

Cons

-Hard to collaborate with other departments -> for a company saying that each part comes together, it didn't feel that way. Art was with art, Account with account, Project managers with Project managers, etc etc.
    -Lack of understanding the tech side -> As the web dev intern, especially with my fellow interns, there was a clear issue with the lack of understanding what people in my department did which in-turn made things harder for us to do our jobs. It honestly felt like a game design crunch that didn't even need to happen because it's an advertising company.

Try to keep all the departments together because otherwise, it strains collaboration and makes it harder to make better ideas when everyone keeps to themselves because everyone's so divided.

Unfortunate turn for the worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown, PA

I have been working at GSW Worldwide full-time

Pros

Senior leadership has what seems to be, their best intentions. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter. They don't have what it takes to turn this ship around.
    - People are nice
    - hours are fine, depending on your team

Cons

No sense of strong senior leadership. Accurate compensation isn't given or takes forever. Workload is unbalanced across teams, and employees aren't resourced accurately. Very disorganized. Process is inconsistent across company

Listen to your employees

Smart place.

I worked at GSW Worldwide as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Creatives are treated well and CDs strive to champion work that raises the bar.

Cons

The hours can get long at times, but everyone is cared for well.

Smoother communications.

Horrible, negative, very high turnover workplace

Current Employee - Creative Director in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Columbus, OH

I have been working at GSW Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is about average (nothing to write home about).

Cons

- The environment is negative and weak
    - Everyone is miserable and looking elsewhere
    - Takes years and years to get promoted (although demotions happen more often)
    - Rounds of frequent layoffs
    - Company culture is nonexistent
    - Leadership is a "boys club"

Time to face reality.

It's different, just not all that different from any other agency

Current Employee - In the Upper Third in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - In the Upper Third in Columbus, OH

I have been working at GSW Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are passionate about healthcare and love a challenge, this is the place to find it. If you appreciate process and the order that comes from it, this is the place for you. If you don't mind hard work, this is the place for you. If you want a company with focus, the opportunity to work on national and global brands you will find it here. You are surrounded by really smart people - MBAs , PhDs, MDs, and lots and lots of other talent. The pay is as competitive as any place I've ever worked and in line with every 4As compensation model I've seen. The culture is evolving in a very positive way. And we are big and growing. Hard work, commitment and a willingness to put yourself out there are the keys to advancement.

I've recommended at least a 1/2 dozen people apply here in the last 2 years.

Cons

Pharma marketing is not for everyone. The processes are rigid to meet the various regulatory environments. Like any agency we have our ups and downs both in clients wins and losses as well as in people. Not any different than anyplace else is been or know of. Is working on better defined purpose, consistency of communication, transparency. Holding company holds us back, slows the hiring process, puts pressure on all.

Communicate - the good, the bad, the ugly. It's all being talked about anyway, own the narrative. Get clear on the mission, vision and culture and live them. Make sure everyone understands it and is committed to advancing them. Always be recruiting. Go wider and bring in more people. Expand the intern program or get onto campuses to grab talent early. Give people opportunities in other offices.

Poor management. Columbus headquarters dictates everything to the NYC branch at which I worked.

Former Employee - Director, Editorial in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director, Editorial in New York, NY

I worked at GSW Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Talented staff that works well together. People with great experience. Nice building; nice offices.

Cons

Mucky-mucks in Columbus watch everything that NY does. This is definitely a boys' club. I have heard of senior staff in Ohio doing egregious things, then being promoted. Very unethical company.

A never-ending nightmare.

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at GSW Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay- but you'll pay for it

Cons

Poorly managed by lifers with their own agendas.

Merciless devotion to time sheets and cost savings.

Barren culture. Omnipresent investor/owners cost-cutting mandates and policies.

No security- layoffs every quarter.

Cookie-cutter creative developed by same cronies again and again.

Account service staffed by old hacks or clueless young order takers.

Location is terrible- busy suburban mall with endless traffic and new development springing up every day.

IT has been outsourced to India, so simple help is a nightmare.

Much of the staff is biding their time waiting to get fired to collect a severance but that perk may disappear soon.

Impending company sale and relocation rumors scare everyone.

None. They know what they are doing. It's all about who can profit from the sale of the company.

It's alright

Current Employee - Senior Digital Engineer in Westerville, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Engineer in Westerville, OH

I have been working at GSW Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are willing to pay for top talent. The benefits package it pretty decent including a good amount of PTO and vacation.

Cons

You really need to take the PTO and vacation because it's not the sort of environment where you feel like sticking around more than necessary. The accounts teams are not good at their job so poorly communicated requirements and crunched deadlines get shifted down the line to other departments.

Not a horrible place

Current Employee - Account Services in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Account Services in Columbus, OH

I have been working at GSW Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is competitive, time off is generous.

Cons

Promotions are hard to get. There is no formal review process in place that every team follows across the company. Culture/fun around the office has declined due to budget. Lots of people are leaving due to management. We never know the business goals/objectives, if we hit forcast or if we fall short. Insight into that would help people understand things like why we didn't get bonuses the past 2 years. There have been rounds of layoffs within the past year. We have lost some good clients and lost a lot of pitches to bigger and better agencies. Management is not standard and your outcome at GSW is 100% dependant on if your manager is liked by upper management and if your manager likes you. It is a very toxic and political game. The 'boys club' is real.

Take us public. Create a strict process for MBOs/reviews and ensure it it actually followed.

Great place to start and get experience, but you burn out very quickly

Former Employee - Acct Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Acct Executive in New York, NY

I worked at GSW Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits are competitive and the opportunity for promotion exists, but it comes with a hefty price--working very long hours. Co workers are great to work with, but managers are grueling.

Cons

It's a challenge to sustain a career at GSW because of the intense working environment. Most staff are hardworking, but working 60-80 hours a week including weekends is burdensome and the staff are burnt out. Turnover is high. Timelines are unrealistic as such staff are required to work until 2am,3am, and 5am and then report to work the next day for 9am meetings. No doubt the quality, productivity and efficiency suffer as does work life balance. Where is HR on these grueling work schedules.

Upper management need to get in touch with how dept managers are running their teams as many staff will be running out the door. Better strategic planning and managing client expectations for timelines needs improvement.