www.gtat.com

Tom Gutierrez

My Experience at GT.

Former Employee - Growth Production Tech in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Growth Production Tech in Mesa, AZ

I worked at GT Advanced Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very positive middle management. Great employee spirit and team to work with. Great in office approach by management. Great insurance benefits. Good pay and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Wreckless decision making by top management which subsequently cost a large bunch of jobs.

Build your foundation before the house. You can't fix a car's wheels while it is running down the street.

Challenging and interesting

I worked at GT Advanced Technologies

Pros

I was in a different position other than just a worker. I was a Lead, helped trained people, worked closely with my supervisor to keep production moving. I learned how to input data into MES.

Cons

The company was unstructured. Hardly anyone was communicating and there were too many tests and recipes going on with product. Every day, rules kept changing and it got confusing to a point.

Stop confusing employees. Keep to a structure and quit changing everything all at once.

Would have been great

I have been working at GT Advanced Technologies

Pros

Good pay and benefits as well as work life balance

Cons

Dident last longer than a year

Outstanding opportunity that presented many advancement opportunities.

Former Employee - Lead Production Technician in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Lead Production Technician in Mesa, AZ

I worked at GT Advanced Technologies

Pros

Competitive wages, benefits, outstanding team members and management.

Cons

Not completing the huge task at hand and having to close.

Bring back these opportunities

AWESOME!!!!

Former Employee - Facilities in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Facilities in Mesa, AZ

I worked at GT Advanced Technologies

Pros

Really enjoyed going to work every day!

Cons

none none! none none none

none

Great learning experience

I worked at GT Advanced Technologies full-time

Pros

- Lot of independence while you work there.
    - Transparency is great.

Cons

- Lack of teamwork
    - New workers lacked training

Keep lessons learned from projects and document experiments.

Merrimack, Missoula, Hong Kong, Shanghai - Egos are out of control.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at GT Advanced Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with GT for years. As usual, there are lots of nice people. Most everyone has a really good heart and some try very hard to help the company be successful.

Cons

The talent across the board is extremely mediocre. They hired youth because they were more willing to travel, which is not necessarily bad but there is a cost of knowledge and experience. As an example, 50 + Asian executives who sign the checks aren't interested in talking to 30 somethings and don't want to answer/negotiate with 30 somethings unless your Mark Zuckerberg. Management was and still is I hear, out of touch.

They have had egos for years that are simply out of control and the fact they couldn't protect themselves and their investors against Apple shows their lack of experience and inability to ask for help. From the management group to directors to senior executives there is nothing worse than a management group/culture that thinks they don't have an ego when they clearly show it, such as making half a billion dollar deals with the largest tech provider in the world when they have never manufactured anything!

The Mesa plant wasn't a success because GT has never manufactured anything in the history of the company much less work with high throughput manufacturing. They never perfected any processes with anything and the failure to deliver to Apple proves it. This is a company that spent 500K on an ABB robot to pick and place polysilicon and they never, ever used it! The number of failures are too many to count.

Moreover, they couldn't produce in the Mesa plant because the employees that flew down to help from other GT offices simply are not adequately skilled. Pure and simple this group of individuals is suffering from a delusional sense of high self-worth and their executives wanting bonuses after declaring bankruptcy is the icing on the cake! I have no doubt these guys actually believe they’re the only ones that can save GT. The entire executive group bankrupted the company and now Gutierrez, Keck and Squiller, want their compensation since their stock is worthless! How low can you go? Where are their ethics?

How many times can management fail before everyone is fired? Here it is gents, do all investors a favor and sell the technology and close the company! Please don’t any of you try to run another company, you just aren’t good at it! Sometimes the truth hurts and it is hard to argue with the facts…. You're Bankrupt!

Whatever you do jobseekers wait until the leadership is turned over, hopefully the bankruptcy will force a new management group.

Could have been a great company but.....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at GT Advanced Technologies full-time

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, hr and office people were easy to communicate with.

Cons

The work atmosphere was definetly lacking. It's one thing to want your employees to work overtime but they were running this place like a sweatshop. Employees were starting to get burned out. I had to wonder how some of the supervisors that were brought in even got hired. They must have been excellent B.S.ers because their leadership skills were poorly lacking and very unprofessional. Some of the people that they were promoting should have NEVER been put in leadership rolls and yet they still remained but I guess that can happen at any company. Supervisors and team leads were changed several times which is also a bad sign.
    Breaks for the workers on the 12hr shifts started to get shorter time frames and the lunch rooms were definetly too small for the amount of workers being brought in. Quality was not taken as serious as it should have been. There were several times that their products were rejected from the customer due to flaws that were missed during inspection. Training was a joke as they were in too much of a hurry to get the product out. Even though HR was decent for the most part I have to question why they hired some the workers they brought in on the floor. The only thing I could think of was cause they needed extra bodies on the work floor so they hired just about anyone regardless of their work backround. There were so many things that needed to be changed but were just overlooked. I was there from the beginning and worked in 2 seperate areas and I saw the writing on the wall several months before they shutdown. I hope that the workers that were excellent at what they did on the floor will be able to or have been able to get good jobs with better companies.
    There are people that want to blame apple for the failure of the project but those people are in denial. Either they were not there at the GT plant and didn't see how poorly things were being ran or they still have a job with GT and didn't get laid off like everyone else did.
    GT Advanced Technologies is a poorly structured and unorganized company. This is why their company has yet to expand.

Former Employee - Quality Technician II in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Quality Technician II in Mesa, AZ

I worked at GT Advanced Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exciting place to work and learn.

Cons

Company allowed a customer with very little knowledge in the field of advanced materials to dictate contract terms that make success nearly impossible

See beyond the dollar signs and know the actual risks of business decisions.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Supervisory in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Supervisory in Mesa, AZ

I worked at GT Advanced Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were great and the job was interesting.

Cons

GT was not prepared to run a plant and had Managers in positions that should of been fired for under performance. The plants failure was partly related to the Growth area not properly training the employees in the proper loading and operation of the furnaces.

Next time you try to run a plant, get the right people in place.

They did bring in a great staff towards the end but it was too late.