GT Software

2.8

Scott Lance

Utopia found

I have been working at GT Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a manager I can tell you everything at GT Software is just great, it's all great great great!!! I wish I had been born at GT Software and spent my entire life in the office. The best part of my job has been helping to get rid of all those ney-sayers. I know most were talented contributors but their failure to blindly follow the direction of the month was totally unacceptable.

Cons

We have to go home at night and the office is closed on holidays. I wish there were more hours in the day to spend learning from the greatness upper management shows each day.

Keep up the perfection and keep getting rid of employees who dare to question your vision. You truly do know it all!

A Relatively New Employee Perspective

I have been working at GT Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

GT has a "family" feel, and this is the primary factor in making this a fun place to work. Many people have been here a long time, and have strong relationships. Employees eat and socialize together frequently--far more often than a typical company. This is made easier by the fully stocked kitchen, which is replenished every Monday. The reviews that complain about "junk food" made me laugh--salads, fresh lean meats, rotisserie chicken, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, green tea, etc. But yeah, if you want some chips and salsa and a coke, they have that too. Frequent social outings and corporate events continue to build the cohesive team feel. These are just part of a good work environment, but they matter.

Some very bright people work here, and I've learned a lot from them in the time I've been here. What makes a job enjoyable for most people is the work you do and the people you work with. The people at GT are, for the most part, very talented and friendly. A major factor for me in any job is whether it is making me grow personally and professionally. I feel that I am growing at GT.

I decided to write a review here because some of the other reviews describe a company that I don't even recognize as the GT Software I work for. Also, I know of no one currently working here who goes around filled with rage at their manager. Not one. You have disagreements between people, and not everyone agrees with every management decision, but this is common in a company, especially one that is approaching new markets. My guess is that some of the bad reviews were written by an angry former employee or something. Notice the bizarre and particular consistencies in the complaints, bad grammar, and even strange phrases repeated, such as: "court jesters." This might be the same angry person.

Is GT perfect? No. But considering all aspects, is it an excellent and competitive option in Atlanta? I'd say so.

Cons

Company strategy has shifted to target a larger market. There is a certain amount of churn, change, and adjustment as the existing products are aligned with this strategy and new products are developed. A rapidly changing, rapidly moving environment is not for everyone.

There is a lot of "history" here, in terms of products and knowledge. It can take awhile to get up to speed on things. The good thing is, the company seems to be putting a lot of effort into helping "on-board" new employees.

I wish we could get where we're going faster.

We know you have a plan to take the company into some new markets. Help us get excited about that vision with some more detail around how and when we will reach particular milestones.

Getting better everyday!

I have been working at GT Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great and I think the management team is on the right track to making this an incredible company.
     - New product development is underway.
     - The culture is one that everyone matters equally and political manipulation is not tolerated. (I have worked in companies where culture is dictated by the squeaky wheels, its no fun and management is eliminating that in a great way.)
     - The camaraderie and team work is well supported with internal activities and events as well as employee-nominated awards program.
    All in all a great, growing, thriving environment.

Cons

When I came to GT Software there were some "but we've always done it this way - complainers" starting to hinder the innovation and performance. A strong concerted effort by the new management team has gotten things turned around. There has been a lot of turnover, but its all been for the better as the company has "allowed the naysayers to seek other opportunities." For those of us left, it continues to get better and better...

Keep up the growth and encouraging the positive, innovative atmosphere. It is exciting to be a part of it!

When Truth Must Come Undone

Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GT Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers (one or two exceptions there.)
    ​Generously stocked kitchen but I prefer a salary increase.
    Clean Restrooms.

Cons

Many of us - still at GT - wonder... Why must you, the "Executive Team", demonstrate such weakness about the company's performance by having employees publish false information in this website where truly desperate jobseekers read every day?
    Why do you purposely want to mislead honest people looking honest jobs? Why must you publish fiction?
    There are desperate people out there looking for jobs!
    People with immense family obligations!
    We ARE those people!
    We ARE those people that on our first day at GT never expected to be mistreated, grossly under compensated, overly suppressed, helplessly disrespected, hopelessly unappreciated and threatened with termination if you, the "Executives", label us "Negative" because of misconstrued information transferred to you by your court-jesters.
    There are desperate people out there who should NOT have to live and work like us who have been living and working with the daily fear of "I wonder if I'm getting fired today" or "I MUST remind myself never to offer opinions during lunch in the break room because the wrong person must be listening" and "I definitely must NOT befriend the people who are currently in the Management's black list."

Do what most of us do: "KEEP ON KEEPING ON" and look for new job.
    Try to find a respectable company where you won't have to be the "Yes Man." Should you, however, decide to stay and "play Queen/King" a bit longer; if your thirst for power has not yet been satisfied, then PLEASE act as the professional we all thought you were when you first came to GT. PLEASE act more like a human being and not like an android.
    We need to be treated like the serious professionals that we are. STOP threatening us with to your blacklist if we don't feel like attending those silly and costly outings. We have families and friends to go with, should we feel like bowling or golfing. Please spare us of that nonsense. Get rid of your foot soldiers; the times of The SOPRANOS are dead and buried. Finally, do NOT promise job advancement when you never intend to do so and never forget "what goes around, comes around." Stop burning bridges. The day you'll need the people you kicked out might be closer that you think. After all, this IS a small town! Good Luck with job hunting and remember "KEEP ON KEEPING".

Great if its your first job out of college.....otherwise keep looking

I worked at GT Software full-time

Pros

Good health benefits
    Fully stocked kitchen (although its always the same junk food, after a few months you get tired of always eating the same food, so you end up bringing your own anyways)
    Encourage employees in taking part of company activities
    Good if its your first or second on the field, and just want to gain some experience. If you want to stay there long-term or think might advance and grow, don't waste your time and keep looking!

Cons

Much too low salary compared to industry standard (in certain job roles)
    High Turnover (very high)
    Too much politics
    Too much drama and "office talk"
    No employee recognition
    No room or opportunity for growth
    No employee training
    Too much micromanaging and employee "watching"

To the President: Stop micromanaging and "owning" everything and hire professionals to do it instead. Never seen a President who is the primary person in charge of HR, Finance, Accounting and Sales Ops all at once. Learn to trust your employees. Put an employee recognition program in place. Some do really work hard and deserve a little pat on the back once in a while. To the Upper management: Stop forming little clans or groups and start getting along. Learn how to work with one another.....stop firing people left and right just because you didnt "like" them or didnt like their way of thinking. Act like adults and like professionals. Put the drama aside.

GREAT PLACE TO WORK

I have been working at GT Software full-time

Pros

I came from an enviornment where managment believed that the employees were lucky to have a job there. The culture ar GT Software is one where the management has added to their job description to let each employee know that the company is the lucky one. The free nutritious breakfast and lunch and "normal" benefits are fabulous. And benefits begin...DAY 1. I have been a professional in excess of 30 years and this is the best company & culture I have been a part of.

Cons

There is little formal training in place for the worker bees, but we are allowed to "create" our own path to the goals set.

Keep doing what youi are doing and grow. And send any ney-sayers to the company I used to work for!

"Great place to work" reviews are fiction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GT Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an employee at some point you will be fired or quit and then you can move on with your life. I hope there is life after GT Software!!

Cons

I have worked for GT for a few years and trust me it is a dead end. Please read ALL of the reviews for the real truth. Management has decided to seed glassdoor with phony glowing reviews in an attempt to raise its image. It is a truly sad ploy by the heartless individuals at the top. It might be great for them but barely tolerable for everyone else.

Sell the business to someone who actually understands the software space while you can. You have no clue what you are doing.

Great Place to Work - A Company Growing and On the Move

I have been working at GT Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great company! Employees are valued and they are shown they are valued everyday. The benefits are excellent - medical, dental, vision, life, 401k, etc. Not only are these benefits provided for employees, but the company pays the lion's share of the costs. Employees enjoy extremely low insurance rates through the multiple plans that are offered.

This family-owned company treats their employees like family as well. There is a fully stocked kitchen where everything from waffles to burritos are offered. Employees gather in that kitchen throughout the day and build camaraderie, a real sense of team.

There is a ping pong table. Employees are encouraged to go play a round of ping pong when they are stuck on an issue and need to clear their heads. Ping pong tournaments are held on a regular basis. Additionally, the company hosts almost monthly outings - from bowling to WhirlyBall - to reward the employees for their efforts and them how important and valued they each are.

The leadership team is constantly working on ways to improve the company. New products are being developed and new initiatives are being undertaken; all towards the goals of growth and success.

Communication is fantastic! The leadership team always makes sure that the entire staff is up-to-date on things that are happening within the company and the industry. There is no sense of exclusion for the employees. Leadership does a great job of communicating with us through monthly company-wide meetings and the occasional "Town Hall" meetings where employees are encouraged to share their concerns; to ask questions and get answers. Employees are able to sit with the President and hear the company news straight from the top.

The best thing for this happy employee is the entrepreneurial spirit that is felt throughout. Being in charge of one's own future at this company is exciting and thrilling. Being able to shape your job and really make it your own is fantastic. If you are willing, you are allowed to grow and learn and develop new skills. The leadership team is constantly looking for the best and the brightest, and they certainly have found them

Cons

While I understand how the higher than normal turnover during the past few years can be a little unnerving, it is to be expected in an industry that is changing rapidly. Things have calmed down considerably in that area during this past year.

Although it doesn't bother me, some are annoyed by the traffic in North Atlanta.

Keep on keeping on. Keep doing what you're doing! It's great working for and with you guys. It's exciting to work for a company when you know the leadership team is excited about the present and the future. Here we know these guys have their eyes on the prize and they are working hard to make sure we reach the goal of success!

Good people need the right leaders

I worked at GT Software

Pros

Most of the people working there are fun, professional, and talented. The benefits are competitive. The stocked kitchen is such a time saver for breakfast and lunch, and is great for developing relationships with coworkers with whom you would not normally come in contact with.

Cons

Excessive turnover at the management level which makes for an unstable company. Regular layoffs/firings which make for an unsettled environment. The flexible and creative environment is being replaced with an 8-5 mentality.

The person at the top need to be a sales driven, technologically savvy, motivating visionary. Financial experts are needed on the management team but not alone at the top.

Moving to GT Software was a risky career move.

I worked at GT Software full-time

Pros

The benefits and salaries are great, but they come at a cost. The location is also very convenient, close to 400 and 285 in Atlanta.

Cons

GT Software went through so many employees while I was working there. They fire people so quickly. Once I started with GT, I began to realize that everyone was miserable, because they were all so worried about getting fired. In one year, I watched them fire 22 people! Including upper level executives that had been with the company for 20 years+. Don't leave a steady career to embark on a new adventure with this company, it is not stable. The day I turned in my notice, was a HUGE relief for me. Also, the technology itself is for a declining market, the market share is finite, because only so many people will need to move from mainframes to cloud.

Put effort into keeping quality workers, and LISTEN to your teams. They are the best tools to see where the inefficiencies occur. Eliminating inefficiencies and wasted time will return much higher profits, than constantly changing your staff.