GTRI Reviews

3.3
GTRI CEO Greg C. Byles
Greg C. Byles

1. Software Tester

Pros

Great location and really friendly people.

Cons

A lot of overhead that I didn't understand

2. Good culture but needs maturing

Former Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at GTRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great CEO and president. Smart young company that is growing. A great place for mid level engineers to learn the world of the VAR. Good salary and decent benefits. As a professional services consultant got to work on some interesting projects that furthered my own career. They encourage you and will pay for job certifications. Overall I would recommend them as a company.

Cons

The COO from 2013-2015 didn't trust or see improvement under his leadership. Sales people and Sales engineers don't know how to sell Professional services. Need to learn to say NO to a customer or involve your SME's sooner in the process to tell you NO don't bid on these jobs. Too many high level engineers working on low or mid level professional service engagements.

Advice to Management

Professional services is a steady stream of revenue encourage it's growth. Software and hardware has it's ebbs and flow and can't be counted on as much as you are doing in the future.

3. A Career Building Oppertunity

I have been working at GTRI full-time

Pros

Working at GTRI has given me great grounding for the start of my professional career. I have been given access to conferences that push me to excel in areas I am personally passionate about and that help me inside and outside of my position. I have also been given access to groups like the Business Marketers Association and the American Marketing Association which keep me connected to an even larger nationwide community. At work I have been challenged by having to come up with solutions to problems on my own which is something that I personally value in any position. I have really enjoyed working at GTRI.

Cons

I was lucky to begin working in this industry at a young age and I have heard a lot of people say, "once you’re in, you’re in" in reference to the industry. With that said, the industry and the companies within it could seem a little inaccessible without a willingness to learn past the scope of the individual business and the requirements of the employee’s specific job. The technology changes fast so the learning also never stops and without willingness to learn any job in this industry would be impossible.

5. Fun, super fast-paced environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at GTRI full-time

Pros

There is always so much going on that you can never be bored. The company culture is great and there are a lot of fun activities that go on throughout the year. There is a lot of individual recognition given to those who are doing a great job or go above and beyond. It is very fast paced so this is a great company for someone who likes a rapid pace and lots of interesting projects going on at all times.

Cons

This company requires people to be flexible due to the amount of change happening in the tech industry. If you don’t like change then this is not the place for you. Be prepared for priority shifts to occur frequently and abruptly as the company attempts to remain current to customers and where the industry is headed. Also, depending on what department you work in there may not be a lot of growth opportunity, but for some of the larger departments there is a lot of promotion from within.

Advice to Management

Take some time to think through how major decisions will impact not just the company overall, but the individuals who are dedicated their time and loyalty to GTRI.

6. I would recommend

I have been working at GTRI part-time

Pros

Great work environment. Highly recommended.

Cons

Management can be challenging at times

7. Rewind two years

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at GTRI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They employee many engineers specializing in many areas of technology who bring expert level knowledge to the table. The office is nice and there are many modern features making for an impressive environment to show to potential customers and employees.

Cons

The turnover rate and lay offs over the last couple of years has increased substantially after several controversial executives were brought in and the owners became less involved in what was going on around the office. This tight knit group made some hasty changes that many long term GTRI employees were not too happy about. Some great engineers left on their own terms after seeing what was viewed as highly unstable times within the company. That uncertainty has, multiple times, been denied in monthly town hall meetings even after it's recent axing of their managed services team and offerings. They are currently hiring a long list of people so something must be going right, but the feeling in the air at times can be unsettling for current employees. Compensation is not bad but industry wide they are on the low end of the spectrum which may also be the reason for some of the greats ones moving on.

Advice to Management

Show value in your employees and give recognition where it should be given. There are many hard working employees in the company who remain nameless while the break room junkies seem to get rewarded or recognized more often than not. Offer more training opportunities to lower level engineers to allow them to climb to the top and become even better at what they do.

8. Coin Operated Bodyshop

I worked at GTRI full-time

Pros

Good for young entry level to learn technologies to install for customers Fast moving small projects Very little process limitations Decent pay

Cons

Driven by sales, short term, short sighted focus Potemkin Village - Marketing as a mature company. Reality is chaos and always putting out daily breakdowns Very high turnover, except for long term staff with "tribal knowledge"

Sad to this company going down the drain

Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

Pros

Great Corporate Offices with an amazing office environment filled with amazing folks. When I first joined the company I couldn't have been happier. The company had fantastic morale, everyone got along and seemed to bond well. On top of this the compensation packages were fantastic, with an excellent Health care plan, as well as 401k and many other things. Greg Byles is a Great guy who is a joy to work with and at one point hired the best and the brightest.

Cons

For what ever reason Greg has decided to completely withdraw from the office and many of the amazing leaders who once occupied many key positions have mostly been replaced with horrible folks who have absolute little to no care for their employees. The team Steve Foster has brought on literally define the definition of the word GOOD OLDE boy network. He has esentially taken over the company and now runs it with an iron fist. Firing many of the best staff to replace them with former associates from his old role as well as his buddies. They have zero clue what they are doing and have little to no care for anyone they have steam rolled. Sadly the company that was once on track to become a billion dollar VAR is lucky if it will still be around in 5 years.

Advice to Management

Come back, and fix this sinking ship. The amount of employees who still work there and yet have their resumes out and are actively interviewing should justify the need to remove this plague Steve has brought upon the company.

10. Inexperienced upper management, lack of defined processes, fragmented business reporting

I worked at GTRI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were enjoyable, considerate of family needs and personal life

Cons

Compensation is average depending on position held and particular supervisor you are reporting to. Owners stepped back too much after putting in place COO, CFO etc. New upper management didn't appear experienced and knowledgeable of all aspects of industry. Upper management had little regard for employees being a vital part of the company. Numerous layoffs to address being cash strapped without addressing the real causes of declining business. Clear cut upper management "club" that take care of themselves first and couldn't care less about anything else.

Advice to Management

Empower employees- less meetings to talk a topic to death; employees are capable of making sound business decisions within their scope of expertise At least give the appearance you care about the individuals that make up the company and drive the revenue and profit Define procedures more clearly; if defining a procedure, complete the process of defining the procedure and putting the procedure in place, then follow that procedure

In my years working at GTRI I learned a great deal in regards to the IT industry as well as the simple fact that "boys clubs" do exist.

Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at GTRI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good location - good benefits - dynamic and busy environment - opportunity to meet quite a few people in the industry outside of the company itself.

Cons

- lack of training or structure - raises and additional compensation nearly impossible to obtain. - It is who you know, and who you are friends with in the company that change your future potential with the company, both financial and in job position/title. - Somewhat weak management depending on area you are assigned. - Team and individual moral decreased significantly during my employment.

Advice to Management

Put employees first. Happy employees will work harder, stay longer, and end up a more valuable asset than even a customer. You are nothing without the building blocks of your tomorrow which include your customers and employees. Not your own paycheck.

RSS Feed </> Embed