GTS Group

Updated May 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard J. Wenzel, Jr

I received a solid foundation to what became my career.

Operations Specialist (Former Employee)
    Sterling, VA

ProsGTS stresses the importance of procedures, follow up and follow through. There is a reason why things are done the way they are and accountability is established at all levels. Their ISO certification goes a long way in the industry and the company has a well diversified client base, so 1) they are more secure than other companies in their industry and 2) their employees are able to experience a well rounded approach to the industry by managing all types of shipments and commodities. Yes, lunch on Fridays was good as another reviewer pointed out and their health ins., and 401 K matching while I was there were well above industry average. More importantly, I learned how to enhance my problem solving abilities and GTS gave me a well rounded approach to most aspects of business management. I cannot stress the importance of this enough, as it has served me very well and will continue to do so. Others are not as fortunate and if you do take a job at GTS I would suggest embracing their approach to compliance and procedures. When I was there my successes were rewarded and my failures were constructively criticized.

ConsI believe I was there at a different time than the first reviewer, as there was enough support and training to get you settled and operating autonomously. Could it have been better? Yes, but I think it's important to note that this is an industry where you either get it or you don't. Particularly within the Logistics Industry a sink or swim mentality to some extent is healthy. I'm not suggesting this is GTS' approach, but I've seen plenty of smart people in this industry fail and to be brutally honest, the company (GTS or similar) is sometimes better off operating without these employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would give some thought to investing more in beginner training if you haven't already. At the same time I would honestly convey to new hires (as you did with me) that they should be expected to ask questions, problem solve on their own and should be expected to operate independently within xx days from hire date.

Continue to reward success and look for learning opportunities in the mistakes that are made. Continue to refine procedures and streamline the cargo management process. This should be a key component to any logistics company and I believe GTS has a leg up on it's competition in this area. Keep it up.

More like a sweat shop

Operations Agent (Former Employee)
    Sterling, VA

ProsFree lunches on Friday.
    The Owner is a good guy.

ConsYou work at least 47 hours a week and you can't leave untill everything is done.
    If your new, you take over a project that you must stay till at least 8pm on Fridays waiting for documents to process a shipment. I had to stay till Midnight before and you don't get OT pay.
    They have unreal expectations.
    Don't work here, it's literally the worst job I've ever had.
    Co-workers aren't friendly

Advice to Senior ManagementThe owner should look into unfair labor laws before someone sues. Plus the positive review was made by GTS Group. They told me so.

I hated this place from day 1

Freight Forwarder (Former Employee)

ProsCompany paid health benefits
    Free lunches on Friday
    career advancement

ConsWhere do I begin.......
    Endless overtime required (think 10 hour days as an average)
    Zero training but expected to perform immediately.
    Unsupportive, unfriendly colleagues
    Management does not provide direction or guidence
    Management freaks out over mistakes

Advice to Senior Management-Give your employees proper training and allow for a training period.
    -Allow for work/life balance.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An overall good experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy experience helped me prepare for a future career.

ConsLack of communication and common goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher wages for management and agents to retain them and avoid training expenses.

Worked for GTS Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GTS Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GTS Group CEO Richard J. Wenzel, Jr . All reviews posted anonymously by GTS Group employees.