GXS

Updated October 21, 2014
3.2

GXS President and CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert

Pros
  • With work-life balance (for a developer like me) (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible work at office or work from home ability (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management focuses too much on sales growth and not enough on service quality (in 9 reviews)

• The work environment is not much innovative (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Job to get you started

Current Employee - Intern in Brook Park, OH
    Current Employee - Intern in Brook Park, OH

I have been working at GXS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, nice break room, nice personalities

Cons

cant think of any cons

keep up the good work.

Decent company before buyout

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Brook Park, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Brook Park, OH

I have been working at GXS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere. Would recommend to somebody who wants to get their foot in the door

Cons

Unorganized, lots of finger pointing going on. Somewhat too much office drama where there sholdnt be

Listen to the employees a little more

Corporate culture sucked

Former Employee - Production Services Engineer in Brook Park, OH
    Former Employee - Production Services Engineer in Brook Park, OH

I worked at GXS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of room for movement and upwards mobility. this is a large company with exposure all over the world

Cons

i am sure management was well off but the rest of us were victim to the worst corporate culture. however i think this was only the case in brook park ohio, i believe management did not care for the place. the building looks inside and outside like a scene from the walking dead

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brook Park, OH

I worked at GXS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worker bees really care and do their very best amidst all the chaos and politics going on around them

Cons

No interest in creative or innovative ideas. Change is all talk. The company can sell but it's amazing they have so many customers since everything is put together with chewing gum and baling wire.

Quit talking about change, through out the old guard and really make the needed changes in your technology, people, and processes.

support theater

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist I in Brook Park, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist I in Brook Park, OH

I have been working at GXS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse problems present opportunities for clever solutions. 10% shift bonus. Critical support for hundreds of companies.

Cons

ZERO entrepreneurial spirit. Nothing is ever improved. Creativity is not encouraged or rewarded.

There is no innovation inside the company for radically changing our costs. GXS will never become more profitable, and thus our investors, Francisco Partner's, will never be able to sell GXS. Increasing sales is not changing the company into a more profitable company. Only radical surgery will ever transform GXS, and that will have to start at the top, but it will need to reach to within 2 levels of the bottom, the rot has spread too far to salvage most of the non-technical management.

Not recommended unless you don't mind fighting fires all the time.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brook Park, OH

I worked at GXS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay and benefits were the best I ever had. My co-workers and manager helped me the best they could. The company hired me when no other technology company would, and I was exposed to the e-commerce industry. GXS has many Fortune 500 and international clients and continues to grow.

Cons

When I was hired, I received almost no training to do my job. Documentation for how to do common tasks was almost nonexistent. The work environment was chaotic and full of pressure. Crises occurred on a daily basis from faulty systems and high-impact production issues. Everyone in my department felt frustrated most of the time from not knowing how to do their job or not having the tools to do their job. Poor communication between departments hurt customer service. Customers often complained about poor service and had to escalate issues just to get them resolved. Layoffs have resulted in understaffed departments. Senior management focuses too much on sales growth and not enough on service quality.

Develop thorough training programs for all new employees, especially those who have never worked for an e-commerce company before. Hire more people to handle the growth in business GXS has seen. We know you want to get more business, but we also need to improve service to our existing customers so we don't lose them. Employees are burning out and quitting because they have to do so much with so little. We want to provide better service and stay with the company, but we need lots more support from above to do so.

Dysfunctional chaos

I worked at GXS full-time

Pros

Good coworkers, frontline employees really care.

Cons

Dysfunctional culture, success depends entirely on whether you are part of the old guard and not on ability.

A complete trainwreck

I worked at GXS

Pros

I honestly can't think of a pro.
    The pay/benefits used to be good, but no longer.
    It's better than being unemployed, I suppose... that's the most positive thing I can say.

Cons

The entire company has gone downhill since splitting from GE. It seems to be all about cutting costs, which means less employees, less resources, less benefits, less pay, etc. Meanwhile, they've merged with Inovis which means more work.
    Almost all the nice benefits that were there with GE, beyond a generic health plan have been eliminated.
    Most departments are woefully understaffed and overworked.
    Running around "fighting fires" is a daily occurrence.
    Management is completely out of touch with what the people "in the trenches" do, even on a superficial, general level.
    Morale is low, stress is high.
    People have been fired/quit/resigned at every position, from the Vice President on down. It is a revolving door with high turnover, and many of the people who have stuck around for years are the ones who are incompetent or can't get a job anywhere else.
    Communication in general is bad, but between the departments themselves, communication and cooperation are virtually non-existent. Each department seems to have walled itself off from each other one, like isolationist little countries protecting themselves.
    If you find any middle managers who care about the problems, their decisions are overridden by higher management. Everyone seems to be constantly afraid of being yelled at or fired.
    The blame game is an almost daily occurrence as well. Nobody wants to try to fix anything, for fear of being blamed. The philosophy seems to be that it's better to do nothing at all, than try to make anything better or do something productive.
    People who have been there for years guard knowledge and do not share it with anyone, thereby ensuring that the company must go to them, thus securing their job safety. Programmers implement code and do not share any information with those who need to support it. And so on.
    I could go on, but unless GXS wishes to hire me as a consultant on how to fix their business, I think this is enough of a review for people to get the idea.

Clean house from top to bottom and start over.

If you like working all the time w/o recognition then this is your kind of place.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Brook Park, OH
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Brook Park, OH

I worked at GXS

Pros

The benefits are very good, this is a result of being a spin off from GE. I'm sure if GXS could there would be no benefits.

Cons

Long hours, no knowledge depth. I had to give my personal cell number, my wife's cell number and contact numbers when I went on vacation. If I didn't (almost always did) get called I was worried I would. The yearly pay increases didn't keep pace with inflation. If you get hired on make sure you get big money up front, because it isn't going to get better.

Keep an eye on your talent. They are slipping away due to burn out.