GZA GeoEnvironmental Reviews

William R. Beloff

1. Environmental Engineer/Geologist

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Norwood, MA

I worked at GZA GeoEnvironmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First job in consulting, learned a lot about the business in a very supportive atmosphere for training and development. Jobs are interesting and clients are demanding, making it a challenging position.

Cons

Limited advancement potential from field staff to management positions.

2. Project engineer

I have been working at GZA GeoEnvironmental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back environment Work life balance

Cons

Lack of leadership Poor planning Low compensation

3. Underpaid and sometimes overworked.

I have been working at GZA GeoEnvironmental full-time

Pros

Some (about half) of the senior staff is great and really do invest time in junior staff. Almost all of the senior staff are really specialized in what they do and typically can answer any question.

Cons

Old boys club. Some senior staff are definitely a little sexist. Employee growth is limited and very, very slow. The work is really technical and boring unless you are an APM or higher. Benefits aren't great, but 401k plan is better than average.

Advice to Management

Invest more time in junior staff. At the end of the day, they're the reason why all of your work is getting out of the door.

5. Field engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at GZA GeoEnvironmental

Pros

Great bosses. There were many divisions, but the one I was in was led well and had many opportunities. Still wondering why I left actually.

Cons

Not all the divisions had the autonomy that I had in mine.

Advice to Management

Lots of upper management, so my potential outlook seemed bleak.

6. Good company and smart, genuine people.

I have been working at GZA GeoEnvironmental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work culture and genuine effort by most senior managers to support and nurture employees. I've worked for a relatively high number of companies and I really enjoy how little bureaucracy, politics and unecessary meetings and paperwork there is here when compared to previous places I've worked. Senior manangement (e.g. principals) are generally very intelligent people and provide a collegiate atmosphere for questions and discussion. Hours are reasonable if you want them to be and flexible with regard to when and where employees work. Assistant Project Managers and below get paid overtime. Very interesting, varied projects and opportunities for problem solving and unique solution design. Junior engineers can expect a lot of responsibility if they earn it. Generally, conference and industry group participation is encouraged, even among junior staff.

Cons

Training is always available however a new policy has been instituted that requires certain types of training to be completed on the employees own time (i.e. for free), which discourages participation. Benefits are good but junior engineers get very little vacation (10 days) even if they have years of prior experience. Vacation does not increase to 15 days until you are a full project manager or have worked for the company for 5 years. Promotion tends to be slow and compensation lags as a result. Very few women in senior management.

Advice to Management

Promoting superior employees more quickly will increase retention of higher quality candidates, in line with GZA's Generational Transition initiative. Many of the issues noted above would be solved with a move in this direction.

Good entry level

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist I in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist I in Norwood, MA

I have been working at GZA GeoEnvironmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary is competitive to other firms in the area. Benefits are also very good, Work-life balance is ok. It is a male-dominated firm/field, so it is hard to judge the company comparatively. For consulting, in general, travel isn't as lengthy as some other competitive firms (i.e. I go home at the end of 99.9% of my days).

Cons

It is a male-dominated company; common for the field of geo-tech. The company seems to attract the same types of people and can come across as less-than progressive, as sexism/sexist remarks aren't uncommon. It isn't the most woman-friendly/equalizing place.

Advice to Management

The focus on the inter-generational differences needs to increase. The age of this firm is showing-- particularly as new graduates are coming into the company. There is an extreme lack of diversity ANY management level, which is a huge problem,. This company is dominated by older, white men. I would advise management to open their eyes to this issue and address it proactively with outside hiring, as well as intracompany initiatives to help the minimal diverse workforce that they DO have to succeed..

8. If you are ambitious, look elsewhere

Former Employee - Technician in Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Technician in Bloomfield, CT

I worked at GZA GeoEnvironmental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Benefits Paid vacation and holidays

Cons

low pay few opportunities for advancement weak leadership lax safety standards

Advice to Management

Step down and let real leaders lead us!

9. Was OK until I got injured at work.

Former Employee - Lab Tech
    Former Employee - Lab Tech

I worked at GZA GeoEnvironmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work was very flexible. I could work over the weekend and then take a 4-day weekend the following week. Great benefit options, excellent dental, awesome vision coverage My co-workers and direct supervisors were respectful and friendly. The lab was renovated and acquired new equipment.

Cons

When some neglected equipment caused an injury that needed surgery, I was laid off during my recovery. The manager in charge of my district was not approachable and had no idea what we were doing in the lab. There is little reward for hard work --- rewards are few and random. No room for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Don't lay off people who are out recovering from work-related injuries. It added insult to my injury.

10. Educational, very fair, and enjoyable.

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Norwood, MA

I worked at GZA GeoEnvironmental full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was able to be very independent. Lots of guidance if necessary, but jobs were your own responsibility. Great company.

Cons

Average pay but was getting better too. Could use more facilities at work to make the workday more enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the curmudgeons.

11. Great place to work

I have been working at GZA GeoEnvironmental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, relaxed atmosphere, lots of very smart passionate people

Cons

If you live in the city commuting can be very annoying. Like any place there are some people who you'd rather not work for and some people you love working for.

Advice to Management

The place does not come across as very woman friendly and especially not very mom friendly. There are very few women in upper management positions and even fewer moms. It may just be the field or the long hours required, but in the end all that really matters is perception. I would work harder at recruiting and retaining talented women and mothers if you want to change that perception.

RSS Feed </> Embed