Gabe’s

Updated November 9, 2014
Updated November 9, 2014
1.9

Jeff M. Feinberg

A company growing and on the move

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth potential and positive corporate environment and leadership are the hallmarks of my career experience at Gabes. This is a company that is focused on growth into new markets and internally growing it's store leadership for those markets.

Cons

There is sometimes some confusion regarding direction as well as multiple, sometimes conflicting viewpoints on what should be done and how it should be accomplished. It's sometimes frustrating but not too different from more established retailers.

Communication to all levels needs to be clear and and thought out with a timeframe that allows for planning and implementation of tasks.

Learned a lot, but had no life

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to shop name brands at super cheap prices and you get a discount on them.

Cons

You're expected to work 10+ hours on the minimum. I worked 12-15 hour shifts most of the time. The store is usually a mess because customers trash it. Hard to keep organized because the store receives the goods other retailers don't sell. Odds and ends everywhere. I traveled a lot to different stores which was a good experience but that meant a lot of time away from my family. The pay was not worth all the work I put in.

Don't stress your managers out with making them work ludacris hours.

my managers are the best

Current Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time (less than an year)

Pros

my managers are great. they go out of their way to see that things work out i like the people that i work with they Are hard dedicated working people our merchandise is better quality than it has been for years.

Cons

the turn key people are a joke. it seems that they don't care. we just hired 20 16yo are all they do is stand and socialize . they are not disciplined nor mature enough to work there we work short on the floor all the time. there i s 4 cashiers just standing there and 2 people on the floor to do returns, price checks clean up etc. get real!!!!!! how go i go home thinking i did a good job. I pride myself with a job well done and most of the time it is impossible. it really bothers me that i am working my butt off and getting paid the same as someone just standing there

i think you should go from store to store and see who the shining stars are

The job description is ideal but it's nothing like what you'llactually be doing!

Current Employee - Merch Manager
    Current Employee - Merch Manager

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience of how not to run a business. I have noticed they also pay slightly higher than other retail companies.

Cons

EVERYTHING!! Long long hours, stressful work environment with the feeling of defeat everyday. It's impossible to ever feel accomplished there. The upper lever management are rude and disrespectful! They don't carr about their people, but want to call it a great place to work. I was sold a dream in my interview and my first day of training I should have ran for my life!! The general managers put everything on their assistants and then take credit for all the good and blame us for all the bad. It was an absolute mistake coming to work for this company!

Get off your butt and do some work!!

Horrible under new ownership!

Current Employee - Happy Team in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Happy Team in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None! There are no pros! Often times the customers especially at night are pigs!!!!

Cons

Over scheduled management enforced by corporate!!! No quality of life!!!! Total greed and they think they do good by extended hours and sign up basis for employees to work. They don't think of under paid management who are forced to work holidays!!!! Honestly, I hope they collapse!!!

This is for corporate/owners....you are destroying families of people who work for you!!! Your GOD the almighty $$$ is a disgrace to our true GOD!!!!

worst place to work

Current Employee - Everthing in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Everthing in Erie, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the only pro in erie is the am crew

Cons

over worked under paid make you stay over your shift were lucky to have our schedule on Friday management doesn't care about you unless your a foreigner I see my coworkers more then my kids get wrote up if im sick had to work all week with the flu when I asked if I could leave early (cause I was sick) they told me no to suck it up work here if you like being treated like CRAP!!!

Get your head out of your butts were people to we have familys to

company has great future, employees don't!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Gabe’s full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Crew I worked with was great.
    Lot of freedom in merchandising the sales floor, especially hard lines.

Cons

With constant management turnover expect to work a lot of nights. Only one weekend off a month sucks. There were times when due to lack of management I had to work 6 am to 11 pm with no one to cover for my lunch or dinner. Company attitude seemed to be "you don't count".
    No paid holidays so don't expect any three day weekends....ever. Rules about management coverage made it very difficult to have a life outside of Gabes.

If you want to be a world class company, you need to be able to attract world class management. You can't do that with your current attitude and policies.

One of the easiest and best jobs I've had

Current Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in Belle Vernon, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in Belle Vernon, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy for the most part, they start you off at 8$ hr, the work is usually predictable, you get a discount on the merchandise, steady hours, spread out shifts so you can have another job if you want, pretty simple work, stores are not complicated and its easy to catch on. I work the floor and a register. I like my job and its not too stressful. When the store gets packed you just pick up the pace. I made sure everything was clean and handled returns too. One of the easiest low key jobs I've had. Really no complaints.

Cons

Schedules for every week are posted a day before so you can't really plan much outside of work. Must ask for day off two weeks in advance which I guess isn't so bad. Customers treat the store like crap and throw things everywhere and steal but that's not the stores fault. You will probably work every holiday but Christmas.

Give your employees thanksgiving off because seriously its just not right. Pay us at least 9$ an hr because we all multi task. Other than that its not a bad place.

don't work there it is horrible

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is really no positives of working there unless you just need money or if you have a full time job looking for a part time job to supplement income.

Cons

There are A LOT of cons, one it is min wage and you only get an average of 15 hours a week. There are very little full time positions and they try to get part time people to do full time work. Management is horrible I have been kept a hour past when I was scheduled to get off at work at night so that ended up with me getting out at midnight when the store closed at 10pm at my store. They promote people who do not deserve it, at my store is a popularity contest. You would be lucky to get the time off you need, they do not accommodate for family. With them playing favorites some people can call in all the time but other can call in for sickness once a year but they are threatened with a write up. They do not train people properly it is up to part time sales floor employees to train new hires.

Look at your management some have been there for years and the store is horrible from them, better pay, by making your management do their jobs we could get quality employees.

Awful

Former Employee - Fashion Coordinator in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Fashion Coordinator in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Gabe’s full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers keep you busy as well as your day to day activities. Pay wasn't bad for retail. The Operations Manager is awesome. Not a bad schedule for.

Cons

The GM is not nice. HR has been called plenty of times for harassment (even a few cases of sexual harassment) and nothing was done. They said they wouldn't fire him because it was too close to the holiday season. Way to be look out for your employees. I had like 4 different bosses telling me what to do and each time it was wrong. Lack of communication between GM and Merchandise Managers.

Get rid of the GM!