Gabe’s Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
1.7

Jeff M. Feinberg

One of the easiest and best jobs I've had

Current Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate  in  Belle Vernon, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in Belle Vernon, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy for the most part, they start you off at 8$ hr, the work is usually predictable, you get a discount on the merchandise, steady hours, spread out shifts so you can have another job if you want, pretty simple work, stores are not complicated and its easy to catch on. I work the floor and a register. I like my job and its not too stressful. When the store gets packed you just pick up the pace. I made sure everything was clean and handled returns too. One of the easiest low key jobs I've had. Really no complaints.

Cons

Schedules for every week are posted a day before so you can't really plan much outside of work. Must ask for day off two weeks in advance which I guess isn't so bad. Customers treat the store like crap and throw things everywhere and steal but that's not the stores fault. You will probably work every holiday but Christmas.

Give your employees thanksgiving off because seriously its just not right. Pay us at least 9$ an hr because we all multi task. Other than that its not a bad place.

company has great future, employees don't!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Gabe’s full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Crew I worked with was great.
    Lot of freedom in merchandising the sales floor, especially hard lines.

Cons

With constant management turnover expect to work a lot of nights. Only one weekend off a month sucks. There were times when due to lack of management I had to work 6 am to 11 pm with no one to cover for my lunch or dinner. Company attitude seemed to be "you don't count".
    No paid holidays so don't expect any three day weekends....ever. Rules about management coverage made it very difficult to have a life outside of Gabes.

If you want to be a world class company, you need to be able to attract world class management. You can't do that with your current attitude and policies.

Stressful

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time

Pros

There is no positive in working for this company, unless you are desperate.

Cons

the schedule is never up on time, changes with no notifications, minimum wage pay, they will not work with people who have disabilities at all. real quick to hire, real quick to fire.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention  in  Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Winchester, VA

I worked at Gabe’s full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great associates (store level), great customers, fun work environment in a serious matter.

Cons

The test to become LP. They will literally disqualify you for 1/2 a point, and if you do fail the test, the DLPM will sound annoyed with you over it leading you to believe that management does not care about you, which they don't.

Actually start caring for employees.

A mess

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not very much...Started as a cashier and was just told by Store Manager to go ring on the register...Minimal training and the person I was to mentor, was extremely unfit for that role. She was a long term associate who was bitter and sour in everything. Customer Service definitely wasn't her strength. Poor leadership from the Store Management Team...They appeared to be just trying to keep their head above water. Store Manager walked around with coffee while the associates were told they could not bring beverages into the sales floor.

Cons

Long hours; schedule changes with out discussing with the individual. Poor leadership in the Store's. Definitely does understand the servant leadership philosophy. DM out of touch. Comes in the store and says do this and do that, but never really talks with us at all. Just barks.

Take the advice of the "Gabriel' family member's and be in the stores. You may no have liked what they said but you certain knew that they cared.

It has just gotten worse

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only pros I can honestly say are some of the people I work with and the discount. Our new manager seems okay.

Cons

The management team are unorganized. They never tell each other anything. The new company that has bought Gabriel's sucks they already changed our uniforms once and are talking about doing it again. We have to pay for any extra shirts and all of our pants. The management team bullies people into staying over and also if you have to call off. If you have kids this is a horrible place to work. The raises are horrible, you only get one once a year and it is only .15 cents. A lot of favoritism in the store. People that have only been there for a few months and constantly call off get more hours than the people who come to work and have been there longer.

Work with your employees instead of working against them and they might stay longer. Pay them more

The worst company I have ever worked for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Akron, OH

I worked at Gabe’s part-time for less than a year

Pros

Early morning hours so you can have another job.

Cons

Worst managers in retail ever. The loss prevention in the store is the worst. The hours they give you are horrible so they can cut corners. The store is filthy. They have NO training, No possibility for growth!!!

Hire some managers that actually know what they are doing! Hire managers that are compassionate to their employees. Also consider how you talk to your employees. Please consider getting a new store manager!! Within one week four people put in their two week notice, and four people did not show up after working one week because of you manager. You also might want to look at your in store theft problem!!!

Feel abandoned by my company.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I use to love my job even with the long hours and never ending work load. I wanted to do a great job for my store and company. I no longer feel that way. I am not sure what the Pro is to work here any longer.

Cons

I feel abandoned by my company. I gave many years of service just to find my company to cut many jobs and reduce pay rates for the same work load. Now that staff is reduced we have lost tallent and staff are feeling let down by the company. It was hard to get a day off in before let alone my vacation time. Now I will have to get the same work done if not more in less hours. I hope the talk of a union is happening for we need someone to speak up and be the advocate for the employees at this company. For our company is not an advocate for us any longer.

To talk about a great place to work. Please stop saying this for it is insulting to your employees. They are empty words and empty promises. So much for the last year of hearing what a great place to work this is going to be and that many opportunites will come for those who work hard and do a great job. Sure you are opening new stores in markets no where near where I live. Now you cut pay and postions out of my store.

Company has abandon me

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

they have good deals of merchandise but you can get that at TJ Maxx or other stores

Cons

The company I have worked long hours, holidays and extra days a week has now abandon me. I have been with this company through so much turn in ownership and bosses. The current group talking about how it is a great place to work. Please stop saying this for it is demeaning to me..... it is all talk and no action. I was told what great opportunites were coming only to find the company cut jobs, pay and expecting the same work load if not more. My company is no longer supporting me as an employee and there words are empty as far as opportunity, good pay and great place to work. Don't work here they will use you and toss you when they see fit. I feel for many people who lost jobs and pay cuts just as they were planning on family vacations for the summer after a long hard work load at work.

If you can not support your mission a great place to work maybe a Union could support the employees

Great place to work is a complete farce!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a job, a terrible one, but a job none the less. Do not try and start off a career in this dump.

Cons

50 hour work week minimum with Back to School and Holiday Seasons requiring 60 hour minimum weeks, poor benefits, no support from Corporate or DM level management for in-store level management, completely unrealistic goals set by people who have no field experience with this company i.e. not enough payroll allotted nor the tools to recruit any solid employees. No loyalty whatsoever to employees who have been loyal to the company, turn a blind eye to issues that have been in a constant state of decline. Store Managers getting away with murder showing up late and leaving early on a daily basis and overall infantile behavior on SM part is UNBELIEVABLE that is a certainty.

How you ruin a 50 year positive track record in less than 6 months is beyond me and utterly ridiculous for one to even fathom how you screw that up. And it keeps spiraling even further down the toilet. Yes you have made some gains but the company is nowhere near where it was 3 years ago before the investment company took over. It is appalling the way you treat, have treated and will continue to treat all employees at the store level.

Gabe’s Photos

Gabriel Brothers entrance

+ Add Photo

Worked for Gabe’s? Contribute to the Community!