Gabe’s

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
1.7

Jeff M. Feinberg

Pros
  • Family owned business and the company is ran that way (in 2 reviews)

• Store Manager walked around with coffee while the associates were told they could not bring beverages into the sales floor (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • being screamed at on the floor in front everyone by your district manager (in 6 reviews)

• The company I have worked long hours, holidays and extra days a week has now abandon me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Gabes

I have been working at Gabe’s

Pros

discounts environment
    friends
    pay check
    fun

Cons

- bad hours
    -customers
    -immature employees

Quit being afraid of confrontation.

Work very hard with no reward

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They started me off at 8$ an hour instead of minimum wage which is better than most retail chains. The work is fairly simple in description however unfortunately you are expected to do it on top on dealing with customers and customer traffic flow which makes things tough when we are busy. Discount that is 15% on merchandise, steady hours USUALLY, although sometimes they would randomly cut everyone wit no notice. I handled returns, made sure the department was clean and presntable, was a cashier, unloaded shipments and trained new employees. My managers are nice and I like them all. Turn around rate is HIGH so you can get minor growth opportunities but even though you get a title increase your wage stays the same so what does it matter. More responsibility and no reward....

Cons

It's VERY hard to have a normal life. If you dont ask for a weekend off its not going to happen, and you have to reuqest your days off two weeks in advance. Life happens and it usually doesnt give you a two week notice. Schedules for every week are posted on the Friday before so you can't really plan much outside of work, I felt like this was ok in the beginning but soon realized that I would have no time for myself and couldnt plan other activities.

Sometimes they would make me work 9 days in a row with no day off and still wouldnt give me overtime. I would always do a great job and worked very hard so they would give me extra duties but didnt give me a raise, nore did they care if I needed something for me. Sort of inconsiderate after they kept piling more duties on me. Terrible hours at times such as overnights, midnights, early AM with no extra hourly wage. Sometimes I would work 6am-3pm then be expected to come back to the store at 12am that night again. Talk about exhausted. I am starting to feel like slave to this company.

Because it is a discount store the customers throw things everywhere and the employees have to just allow them to do it. Then we have to pick up after them after they trash the store, its frustarting because you have 100 things to do and the last thing you want to deal with is your department being a wreck while you're running as fast as you can to get tasks finished, for just a little over minimum wage its not worth it really.

You will probably work every holiday but Christmas, and the only holiday you get extra money for is Thanksgiving

Opening thanksigivng is not too smart. No one shopped in our store and employees wanted to spend it with family. What a waisted holiday. You spent more money paying us and opening the store than you made. Also, you woulnt have a high turn around if you paid employees what they deserve.

They Thought They Could Steal My Pay.

Former Employee - Customer Service in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Gabe’s part-time (less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

I was a hard worker opening the new Gabe's in Fredericksburg, VA. We were on time and the first shift to put merchandise on the hangers. I worked the entire week and had 5 shift at 4 hours a shift. The pay is only 7.50 per hour. I was asking for a cashier position in the Job Fair, only they gave me a floor merchandiser position. On the second week of opening a select few of younger and more diverse employees received hours. I received none. Period. No even an explanation. The employees who received hours as cashiers had other jobs to go to. Me? I sat home and cried. The Store Manager even told me what a hard worker I was. So, I had no other choice but to accept another position. The same results in Fredericksburg. When I went to retrieve my 10 hour pay check, they actually tried to steal it by telling me I was "backed out" of the system. I had to be the one to call corporate head quarters for a lousy 75.00 paycheck. The second week of opening they let 50 employees go. Oh and when the newspaper ran a story about this store opening, only cute young women of color were pretending to be customers, but they were the employees the store manager hung around with during cigarette break.

Go back to Charlottesville, VA.

Not Good

I have been working at Gabe’s

Pros

None none none none none.

Cons

Expense checks were paid out two months late, had to pay for shipping of IT equipment out of my own pocket, terrible corporate to store communication, DM discussed store managers performance with other store managers in the district, unprofessional!

Worst job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in North Canton, OH

I worked at Gabe’s part-time (less than a year)

Pros

flexible scheduling
    flexible hours including early morning and overnight shifts
    good second job
    can text/use phone on the job
    very easy job
    I met some really good people who sure as hell deserve better jobs (and better pay!) than this.

Cons

Little to no training for new people. The extent of my training was standing next to a cashier and watching her ring people for hours. After the first couple shifts it's sink or swim.
    Hours were ridiculous - there were over 80 people on payroll, but the same 20-ish people got all the hours. We were constantly understaffed, but to get more hours you had to beg managers.
    Because we were constantly understaffed, the store was always a mess. I'd spend entire shifts doing nothing but picking clothes and hangers off the floor and straightening, only to have it messed up again within 20 minutes.
    During the holidays, we'd only have 5 people at most on registers and the lines almost went to the back of the store. Customers would be visibly upset and I felt bad when my shift was over and I had to cut off my line.
    Extremely disorganized - 6 or 7 managers but none of them talked to each other so on any given day i'd get calls from 5 different people asking me to come in to work. I probably could've come in and worked whether I was scheduled or not without anyone noticing. When I quit, I didn't know who to tell so I told one manager. A week later I got a call from another manager admonishing me for a "no call, no show" - she didn't know I had quit.
    Very impersonal; because there were so many people on payroll, I was working with completely different people each shift and it was hard to make friends. There was also a ton of employee turnover. I was hired in with 10 other people and only worked with one of them during my 2 months of employment - and she quit right away!
    To me, the job was excruciatingly boring. I hated spending 5 hours at a time just picking stuff up. Cashiering was a little better, but still pretty mind numbing.

Get your act together and talk to each other!
    Actually schedule people instead of calling around asking people to come in randomly.
    Treat your employees like people. Don't be so condescending. Be kind to them whether it benefits you or not.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s

Pros

Great team to work with for the most part, 15% discount.

Cons

Short shifts, cut hours. Bad incentive to stay- 15 cent raise a year and below inflation level pay.
    The new owners want us to be people oriented when they themselves are not IMHO.
    They don't care about the employees, high turnover reflects that. Who wants to work where you never get ahead?
    The store is always trashed by customers throwing stuff everywhere and the few associates on the shifts just can't keep up.

Cut lazy associates hours.

Started good turned bad very quickly!

Current Employee - Fashion Coordinator in Martinsburg, WV
    Current Employee - Fashion Coordinator in Martinsburg, WV

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the other employees are great and some of the management is amazing. I've grown to consider some of these people my second family (very few).

Cons

Cut back employees hours part-time and full-time. Employees under me are unhappy and leaving due to hours, pay and lack of management by a couple managers. Very high school type atmosphere with some of management. Often when you try and resolve issues nothing is done to correct the issues expect by a couple managers who would do just about anything for their employees. Stressful. Unrealistic expectations of the fashion coordinators. Often are left on our own to do literally EVERYTHING.

Stop cutting back the good employees hours. Don't waste time on the people not willing to work cut those people back to 5 hours a week not the ones coming in working themselves to death. Be more understanding of peoples everyday lives. Be more compassionate to the employees wants and needs within the store. If they ask for help please be willing to offer, give it, or send them help. Stop letting the store go to crap and get destroyed. The store was beautiful now it looks like a train wreck after all our hard work we put it for months. Help corporate understand cutting hours is causing us to LOSE customers because it is a mess and unshoppable (this is why we are losing sales and in turn losing hours). The store can not run off fashion coordinators alone it just doesn't work. In order to have a successful company you have to have the staff to keep it going. Having high turn over rates is not the answer. We are losing people left and right soon there will be no one left. Yes, everyone is replaceable but why risk replacing some of the excellent team workers you already have?? Just stop it.

Run away from this company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Gabe’s

Pros

There is really not any Pros to this company

Cons

Where to start, it is min wage and the raise is horrible, for years they lied to us and said we where getting a flat .15 raise across the board but they really was supposed to give us a review.
    Hard to get promoted they will work you like a dog they throw so many projects on you and expect you to get them done in the 5 hours you are there and wonder why it is not done, like cashier, pick up a department that has not been done all day, do the turns for that department that have accumulated all day, cover breaks.
    They skirt around rules some employees do not get breaks because the management is not willing to cover the break, one employee worked 10 hours without a break all because no one there but management could run customer services desk at the time. We are under staffed they keep cutting hours and expect the store to be run on 5 employees.

Listen to your employees, stop treating us so horrible we might work better.

It was okay.

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Martinsburg, WV
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Martinsburg, WV

I worked at Gabe’s full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good team work, excellent flexibility and wonderful management!

Cons

Too much drama for my liking. Probably because it's female-dominated, which personalities can crash. Not worth the $7.50 an hour, 10 hour days. Sorry.

Be aware of the sexual harassment that's going on.

A company growing and on the move

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Growth potential and positive corporate environment and leadership are the hallmarks of my career experience at Gabes. This is a company that is focused on growth into new markets and internally growing it's store leadership for those markets.

Cons

There is sometimes some confusion regarding direction as well as multiple, sometimes conflicting viewpoints on what should be done and how it should be accomplished. It's sometimes frustrating but not too different from more established retailers.

Communication to all levels needs to be clear and and thought out with a timeframe that allows for planning and implementation of tasks.

Gabe’s Photos