Gabe’s Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
1.9

Jeff M. Feinberg

One of the easiest and best jobs I've had

Current Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in Belle Vernon, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in Belle Vernon, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy for the most part, they start you off at 8$ hr, the work is usually predictable, you get a discount on the merchandise, steady hours, spread out shifts so you can have another job if you want, pretty simple work, stores are not complicated and its easy to catch on. I work the floor and a register. I like my job and its not too stressful. When the store gets packed you just pick up the pace. I made sure everything was clean and handled returns too. One of the easiest low key jobs I've had. Really no complaints.

Cons

Schedules for every week are posted a day before so you can't really plan much outside of work. Must ask for day off two weeks in advance which I guess isn't so bad. Customers treat the store like crap and throw things everywhere and steal but that's not the stores fault. You will probably work every holiday but Christmas.

Give your employees thanksgiving off because seriously its just not right. Pay us at least 9$ an hr because we all multi task. Other than that its not a bad place.

company has great future, employees don't!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Gabe’s full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Crew I worked with was great.
    Lot of freedom in merchandising the sales floor, especially hard lines.

Cons

With constant management turnover expect to work a lot of nights. Only one weekend off a month sucks. There were times when due to lack of management I had to work 6 am to 11 pm with no one to cover for my lunch or dinner. Company attitude seemed to be "you don't count".
    No paid holidays so don't expect any three day weekends....ever. Rules about management coverage made it very difficult to have a life outside of Gabes.

If you want to be a world class company, you need to be able to attract world class management. You can't do that with your current attitude and policies.

Awful

Former Employee - Fashion Coordinator in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Fashion Coordinator in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Gabe’s full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers keep you busy as well as your day to day activities. Pay wasn't bad for retail. The Operations Manager is awesome. Not a bad schedule for.

Cons

The GM is not nice. HR has been called plenty of times for harassment (even a few cases of sexual harassment) and nothing was done. They said they wouldn't fire him because it was too close to the holiday season. Way to be look out for your employees. I had like 4 different bosses telling me what to do and each time it was wrong. Lack of communication between GM and Merchandise Managers.

Get rid of the GM!

don't work there it is horrible

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is really no positives of working there unless you just need money or if you have a full time job looking for a part time job to supplement income.

Cons

There are A LOT of cons, one it is min wage and you only get an average of 15 hours a week. There are very little full time positions and they try to get part time people to do full time work. Management is horrible I have been kept a hour past when I was scheduled to get off at work at night so that ended up with me getting out at midnight when the store closed at 10pm at my store. They promote people who do not deserve it, at my store is a popularity contest. You would be lucky to get the time off you need, they do not accommodate for family. With them playing favorites some people can call in all the time but other can call in for sickness once a year but they are threatened with a write up. They do not train people properly it is up to part time sales floor employees to train new hires.

Look at your management some have been there for years and the store is horrible from them, better pay, by making your management do their jobs we could get quality employees.

family business turned into a corporate hell

I worked at Gabe’s

Pros

generally good people to work with.

Cons

where do i start? well for one thing the managers don't care for you personal life what so ever but let something come up in their life and they'll drop everything and expect the same sympathy they wouldn't give to you. they cut your hours then double the work load then complain why freight isn't processed on top of constant threats of being fired for THEIR mistakes. the dm rewards them with pay raises off of OUR hard work but we get a "good job, guys!" the managers show no respect to the workers and constantly talk down you instead of to you. common sense does not exist in this company. Gabriel brothers was a good family business with a with a warm family wholesomeness to it but ever since it was sold it's turned into this cold corporate hell hole.

listen to the workers, we are the ones who talk to the customers and know them on professional and personal level. stop patronizing the workers. use common sense and stop trying to fit 8 hrs of work into 4. we are human, not robots. WE are the backbone of this company. WE make your raises. show some respect.

Waste of an Job

Former Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Gabe’s part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

No Pro's Sadly that apply

Cons

Disrespectful managers, schedules not up on time, cooperate doesn't care about employees, co-workers are rude... you sometimes had 5 or more rowbars to put back.. when i had to put in a sexual harassment for a manger it seemed like a joke..

better management skills, taking the time to know your staff, having staff members off for thanksgiving.. having coworkers work every other weekend so they can actually have a life... getting the schedules right, and listening to the coworkers that are having a issue with a coworker or a manager

Stressful

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time

Pros

There is no positive in working for this company, unless you are desperate.

Cons

the schedule is never up on time, changes with no notifications, minimum wage pay, they will not work with people who have disabilities at all. real quick to hire, real quick to fire.

Terrible.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Winchester, VA

I worked at Gabe’s full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great associates (store level), great customers, fun work environment in a serious matter.

Cons

The test to become LP. They will literally disqualify you for 1/2 a point, and if you do fail the test, the DLPM will sound annoyed with you over it leading you to believe that management does not care about you, which they don't.

Actually start caring for employees.

A mess

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not very much...Started as a cashier and was just told by Store Manager to go ring on the register...Minimal training and the person I was to mentor, was extremely unfit for that role. She was a long term associate who was bitter and sour in everything. Customer Service definitely wasn't her strength. Poor leadership from the Store Management Team...They appeared to be just trying to keep their head above water. Store Manager walked around with coffee while the associates were told they could not bring beverages into the sales floor.

Cons

Long hours; schedule changes with out discussing with the individual. Poor leadership in the Store's. Definitely does understand the servant leadership philosophy. DM out of touch. Comes in the store and says do this and do that, but never really talks with us at all. Just barks.

Take the advice of the "Gabriel' family member's and be in the stores. You may no have liked what they said but you certain knew that they cared.

It has just gotten worse

Current Employee - Customer Service in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros I can honestly say are some of the people I work with and the discount. Our new manager seems okay.

Cons

The management team are unorganized. They never tell each other anything. The new company that has bought Gabriel's sucks they already changed our uniforms once and are talking about doing it again. We have to pay for any extra shirts and all of our pants. The management team bullies people into staying over and also if you have to call off. If you have kids this is a horrible place to work. The raises are horrible, you only get one once a year and it is only .15 cents. A lot of favoritism in the store. People that have only been there for a few months and constantly call off get more hours than the people who come to work and have been there longer.

Work with your employees instead of working against them and they might stay longer. Pay them more

Gabe’s Photos