Gabe’s

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
1.8

Jeff M. Feinberg

Pros
  • Family owned business and the company is ran that way (in 2 reviews)

• Store Manager walked around with coffee while the associates were told they could not bring beverages into the sales floor (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • being screamed at on the floor in front everyone by your district manager (in 6 reviews)

• The company I have worked long hours, holidays and extra days a week has now abandon me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Work very hard with no reward

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They started me off at 8$ an hour instead of minimum wage which is better than most retail chains. The work is fairly simple in description however unfortunately you are expected to do it on top on dealing with customers and customer traffic flow which makes things tough when we are busy. Discount that is 15% on merchandise, steady hours USUALLY, although sometimes they would randomly cut everyone wit no notice. I handled returns, made sure the department was clean and presntable, was a cashier, unloaded shipments and trained new employees. My managers are nice and I like them all. Turn around rate is HIGH so you can get minor growth opportunities but even though you get a title increase your wage stays the same so what does it matter. More responsibility and no reward....

Cons

It's VERY hard to have a normal life. If you dont ask for a weekend off its not going to happen, and you have to reuqest your days off two weeks in advance. Life happens and it usually doesnt give you a two week notice. Schedules for every week are posted on the Friday before so you can't really plan much outside of work, I felt like this was ok in the beginning but soon realized that I would have no time for myself and couldnt plan other activities.

Sometimes they would make me work 9 days in a row with no day off and still wouldnt give me overtime. I would always do a great job and worked very hard so they would give me extra duties but didnt give me a raise, nore did they care if I needed something for me. Sort of inconsiderate after they kept piling more duties on me. Terrible hours at times such as overnights, midnights, early AM with no extra hourly wage. Sometimes I would work 6am-3pm then be expected to come back to the store at 12am that night again. Talk about exhausted. I am starting to feel like slave to this company.

Because it is a discount store the customers throw things everywhere and the employees have to just allow them to do it. Then we have to pick up after them after they trash the store, its frustarting because you have 100 things to do and the last thing you want to deal with is your department being a wreck while you're running as fast as you can to get tasks finished, for just a little over minimum wage its not worth it really.

You will probably work every holiday but Christmas, and the only holiday you get extra money for is Thanksgiving

Opening thanksigivng is not too smart. No one shopped in our store and employees wanted to spend it with family. What a waisted holiday. You spent more money paying us and opening the store than you made. Also, you woulnt have a high turn around if you paid employees what they deserve.

It was okay.

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Martinsburg, WV
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Martinsburg, WV

I worked at Gabe’s full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good team work, excellent flexibility and wonderful management!

Cons

Too much drama for my liking. Probably because it's female-dominated, which personalities can crash. Not worth the $7.50 an hour, 10 hour days. Sorry.

Be aware of the sexual harassment that's going on.

A company growing and on the move

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth potential and positive corporate environment and leadership are the hallmarks of my career experience at Gabes. This is a company that is focused on growth into new markets and internally growing it's store leadership for those markets.

Cons

There is sometimes some confusion regarding direction as well as multiple, sometimes conflicting viewpoints on what should be done and how it should be accomplished. It's sometimes frustrating but not too different from more established retailers.

Communication to all levels needs to be clear and and thought out with a timeframe that allows for planning and implementation of tasks.

Learned a lot, but had no life

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to shop name brands at super cheap prices and you get a discount on them.

Cons

You're expected to work 10+ hours on the minimum. I worked 12-15 hour shifts most of the time. The store is usually a mess because customers trash it. Hard to keep organized because the store receives the goods other retailers don't sell. Odds and ends everywhere. I traveled a lot to different stores which was a good experience but that meant a lot of time away from my family. The pay was not worth all the work I put in.

Don't stress your managers out with making them work ludacris hours.

my managers are the best

Current Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Floor Associate in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time (less than an year)

Pros

my managers are great. they go out of their way to see that things work out i like the people that i work with they Are hard dedicated working people our merchandise is better quality than it has been for years.

Cons

the turn key people are a joke. it seems that they don't care. we just hired 20 16yo are all they do is stand and socialize . they are not disciplined nor mature enough to work there we work short on the floor all the time. there i s 4 cashiers just standing there and 2 people on the floor to do returns, price checks clean up etc. get real!!!!!! how go i go home thinking i did a good job. I pride myself with a job well done and most of the time it is impossible. it really bothers me that i am working my butt off and getting paid the same as someone just standing there

i think you should go from store to store and see who the shining stars are

Say goodbye to business ethics.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I worked at Gabe’s part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The jobs performed are easy.

Cons

Employees made minimum wage for seventeen months at my location.
    There is a wide variance between the good employees and the not-so-good employees. Many employees at this business have issues with absenteeism, tardiness, overall attitude, and effort. Some of these employees managed to become department Leads. Other workers, the ones who show up everyday and outperform the others, are the ones stranded making minimum wage for seventeen months.
    I did not stay the full seventeen months to witness what my raise would be in March of 2015, but from what I have heard, a yearly raise is only fifteen cents.

The store hired over two hundred employees in October 2013, right before the store opened. By March 2014, there were less than forty employees. As the store opened and time went on, management stopped scheduling people--without communicating with these people--because they no longer needed them.
    Since then, Gabe's attempts to hire individuals on a daily basis because it is so difficult for them to find decent help. Before I left in December 2014, I was one of approximately a dozen original employees still left.

While the managers attempt to hold employees accountable--and understandably so--they do not hold themselves accountable for their own actions. For example, the schedule is supposed to be completed by Thursday for the following work week. The schedule is normally not finished until Saturday afternoon (a work week at Gabe's is Sunday-Saturday).

Because the store offers such low, low prices, the everyday riffraff makes it that much more unpleasant. The store is constantly handling issues of theft. Once, the store manager was punched in the face while chasing a thief and ended up going to court.

The store is always trashed.

The store I worked at is right next to Target. When I worked early mornings (before the store opened up for the day), I noticed that Target's parking lot had absolutely zero carts leftover from the night before. On the flip side, Gabe's would have scattered carts infesting its parking lot. Just another example as to how this store really does not have their stuff (for lack of a better term) together.

Essentially, Gabe's makes Walmart look like Costco.
    Save your sanity, and do not work in this toilet of a store.

Things to improve: honesty, integrity, promise-keeping, fairness, caring, communication, respect for others, leadership, and accountability.

Do not sacrifice principle for expediency.

It's a Train Wreck

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Gabe’s

Pros

really no pros to this corporation

Cons

Here to start, it is only part time work and min wage they give you 15-25 hours a week or less you work 5 hour shifts you end up working in 2 or 3 departments picking up after customers but it still is not fast enough. You can not leave when scheduled, so many nights you end up leaving a hour or more after scheduled, if you work nights you clean up after day shift, buggies, z - bars full of returns. Management is horrible you hardly see them on the floor even when you page them they still take forever to come, they are cross training people but not giving the increased pay that goes with the position. you have to watch your pay stubs or they will insert breaks even if you did not take one.

you need to look at how yours stores are run it is not the floor employees fault that stuff is not getting done look at management.

Merchandise Manager

I have been working at Gabe’s

Pros

Decent prices and benefit package

Cons

Horrible management! There's never clear direction and poor decision making. The management staff doesn't care about their employees. Store is always a mess and management isn't open to new ideas and suggestions. Their are never enough cashiers and leaders have to ring; keeping product in the back because they can't complete their job.

The company as a whole will continue to fail until they start to care about their employees. In order to run a business you need loyal, hardworking employees but over working the good ones and letting the bad ones slide lowers morale and creates bad turnover; leaving stores under staffed and sales in the toilet! You should also pay your employees for their hard work.

The job description is ideal but it's nothing like what you'llactually be doing!

Current Employee - Merch Manager
    Current Employee - Merch Manager

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience of how not to run a business. I have noticed they also pay slightly higher than other retail companies.

Cons

EVERYTHING!! Long long hours, stressful work environment with the feeling of defeat everyday. It's impossible to ever feel accomplished there. The upper lever management are rude and disrespectful! They don't carr about their people, but want to call it a great place to work. I was sold a dream in my interview and my first day of training I should have ran for my life!! The general managers put everything on their assistants and then take credit for all the good and blame us for all the bad. It was an absolute mistake coming to work for this company!

Get off your butt and do some work!!

Horrible under new ownership!

Current Employee - Happy Team in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Happy Team in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None! There are no pros! Often times the customers especially at night are pigs!!!!

Cons

Over scheduled management enforced by corporate!!! No quality of life!!!! Total greed and they think they do good by extended hours and sign up basis for employees to work. They don't think of under paid management who are forced to work holidays!!!! Honestly, I hope they collapse!!!

This is for corporate/owners....you are destroying families of people who work for you!!! Your GOD the almighty $$$ is a disgrace to our true GOD!!!!

Gabe’s Photos