Gabe’s Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.8
Jeff M. Feinberg

Pros
  • Great associates (store level), great customers, fun work environment in a serious matter (in 2 reviews)

• generally good people to work with (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • being screamed at on the floor in front everyone by your district manager (in 6 reviews)

• Long long hours, stressful work environment with the feeling of defeat everyday (in 4 reviews)

1. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A growing company with potential for promotion

Cons

Somewhat disorganized corporate structure. Too many changes without real direction and follow through.

Advice to Management

Develop your leaders and give them a career path to progress on with some kind of confidence and support.

2. Sales Associate

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time

Pros

Don't have to think alot

Cons

Low pay, disorganized management, few hours

3. Worked for worse

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Gabe’s full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No matter what your title is you're just an employee. You unload a truck daily, process the merchandise, merchandise it on the floor, recover, run the register, run the fitting room, manage the store, LP, everything at the same time. If you're not a multi tasker you'd have a hard time.

Cons

Not enough payroll to support the volume. No personal or sick time. No compensation for holidays.

Advice to Management

Don't think you are going to manage people or projects you are it.

5. Less than good

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Gabe’s full-time

Pros

I was an assistant manager and thought that the compensation for that position was good. Also, the employee discount plan was also adequate.

Cons

The company was highly disorganized from upper management. Many times the left hand never knew what the right hand was doing. They took advantage of store level management. Managers were scheduled for 50 hr weeks, but pay checks stated pay was for 80hrs every 2 weeks. Also if a manager called in sick, that sick day had to be made up on a scheduled day off. In the store I worked for, they are on their 4th GM in a one year period which I think speaks volumes.

Advice to Management

Get a plan and stick to it. Treat all members of management equally without gender, race, or lifestyle bias. Treat ALL employees like human beings instead of indentured slaves!

6. General Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at Gabe’s full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New deals daily for the customer. Newer stores easier to shop. Customers love Gabes.

Cons

Heavy freight with little floor space. Not enough payroll to support the needs of the business.

Advice to Management

Be prepared for long days without enough payroll to support the store. Heavy communication. Daily changes to the plan

7. Gabriel Brothers

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Gabe’s (Less than a year)

Pros

You work on your own there isn't always someone breathing down your neck

Cons

No money! I don't see room for advancement in this company. Its a small privately owned company.Its corperate and of coarse its like a sweat shop. No body makes money accept the higher up fat cats.

Advice to Management

Try to help your employees get benefits and make more money. Hard work should be rewarded but it isn't. Don't cut your employees hours to get yourself a big bonus. And don't keep a whole bunch of people on the schedule that don't work there anymore to make look like you are cutting hours to get the bonus.

8. starting over

I have been working at Gabe’s full-time

Pros

I love my job, honestly.

Cons

Its a corporation, its all about the offices & suits.

9. Proudly Supporting sweat shops and child labor

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Gabe’s full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company really needed managers so I was able to talk my rate of pay higher then Billy T. wanted to pay. This company never gets audited by any agency. Associate numbers are so low you will only get fired if you steal.

Cons

Sanitation and Fire code violations galore. West side store has mice, I was assigned to tear down food fixtures shovel dead mice and droppings than restock food. Mice living in the food on the sales floor as well as in the backroom. At least once a week (if not more) you will get 6 or 7 hours off before your next 10 hour shift.

Advice to Management

Have fun working 6 day work weeks from November till the 2nd week into January. This company reminds me of a pyramid scheme, only those ontop see money and perks. Dont let these used car salesmen sell you a bad job. Lie to your face to keep their spot on the Gabriel Pyramid of filth.

10. processor

I have been working at Gabe’s part-time

Pros

great job great customer service great associates

Cons

never any paper towels in the restrooms

11. Merch Manager

Pros

None - you have a good chance of advancement they will tell you 6 months, thats because in 6 months most have moved on from stress and no work life balance or been fired because they cant work till they die.

Cons

Mandatory 6 day work weeks year round. No communication between executives' No respect for people at any level No management skills needed just a fire fighter No use of business acumen No work life balance period. No concept of store operations at an executive level

Advice to Management

Store management life is hell move on it doesn't improve

RSS Feed </> Embed