Gabriel Brothers

www.gabrielbrothers.com

Gabriel Brothers Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Gabriel Brothers – Santa Monica – “Gabriel Brothers entrance”

Jeff M. Feinberg

long

Everything Except Cash Office, Management (Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA

Prosthe people, customers, coworkers, and there percentage off

Conshandling with upset, angry customers

Advice to Senior Managementno favortism

Terrible.

Loss Prevention (Former Employee) Winchester, VA

ProsGreat associates (store level), great customers, fun work environment in a serious matter.

ConsThe test to become LP. They will literally disqualify you for 1/2 a point, and if you do fail the test, the DLPM will sound annoyed with you over it leading you to believe that management does not care about you, which they don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually start caring for employees.

The worst company I have ever worked for!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsEarly morning hours so you can have another job.

ConsWorst managers in retail ever. The loss prevention in the store is the worst. The hours they give you are horrible so they can cut corners. The store is filthy. They have NO training, No possibility for growth!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some managers that actually know what they are doing! Hire managers that are compassionate to their employees. Also consider how you talk to your employees. Please consider getting a new store manager!! Within one week four people put in their two week notice, and four people did not show up after working one week because of you manager. You also might want to look at your in store theft problem!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A mess

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsNot very much...Started as a cashier and was just told by Store Manager to go ring on the register...Minimal training and the person I was to mentor, was extremely unfit for that role. She was a long term associate who was bitter and sour in everything. Customer Service definitely wasn't her strength. Poor leadership from the Store Management Team...They appeared to be just trying to keep their head above water. Store Manager walked around with coffee while the associates were told they could not bring beverages into the sales floor.

ConsLong hours; schedule changes with out discussing with the individual. Poor leadership in the Store's. Definitely does understand the servant leadership philosophy. DM out of touch. Comes in the store and says do this and do that, but never really talks with us at all. Just barks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the advice of the "Gabriel' family member's and be in the stores. You may no have liked what they said but you certain knew that they cared.

It has just gotten worse

Customer Service (Current Employee) West Mifflin, PA

ProsThe only pros I can honestly say are some of the people I work with and the discount. Our new manager seems okay.

ConsThe management team are unorganized. They never tell each other anything. The new company that has bought Gabriel's sucks they already changed our uniforms once and are talking about doing it again. We have to pay for any extra shirts and all of our pants. The management team bullies people into staying over and also if you have to call off. If you have kids this is a horrible place to work. The raises are horrible, you only get one once a year and it is only .15 cents. A lot of favoritism in the store. People that have only been there for a few months and constantly call off get more hours than the people who come to work and have been there longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your employees instead of working against them and they might stay longer. Pay them more

Feel abandoned by my company.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsI use to love my job even with the long hours and never ending work load. I wanted to do a great job for my store and company. I no longer feel that way. I am not sure what the Pro is to work here any longer.

ConsI feel abandoned by my company. I gave many years of service just to find my company to cut many jobs and reduce pay rates for the same work load. Now that staff is reduced we have lost tallent and staff are feeling let down by the company. It was hard to get a day off in before let alone my vacation time. Now I will have to get the same work done if not more in less hours. I hope the talk of a union is happening for we need someone to speak up and be the advocate for the employees at this company. For our company is not an advocate for us any longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo talk about a great place to work. Please stop saying this for it is insulting to your employees. They are empty words and empty promises. So much for the last year of hearing what a great place to work this is going to be and that many opportunites will come for those who work hard and do a great job. Sure you are opening new stores in markets no where near where I live. Now you cut pay and postions out of my store.

Company has abandon me

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

Prosthey have good deals of merchandise but you can get that at TJ Maxx or other stores

ConsThe company I have worked long hours, holidays and extra days a week has now abandon me. I have been with this company through so much turn in ownership and bosses. The current group talking about how it is a great place to work. Please stop saying this for it is demeaning to me..... it is all talk and no action. I was told what great opportunites were coming only to find the company cut jobs, pay and expecting the same work load if not more. My company is no longer supporting me as an employee and there words are empty as far as opportunity, good pay and great place to work. Don't work here they will use you and toss you when they see fit. I feel for many people who lost jobs and pay cuts just as they were planning on family vacations for the summer after a long hard work load at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can not support your mission a great place to work maybe a Union could support the employees

Great place to work is a complete farce!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Monroeville, PA

ProsIt's a job, a terrible one, but a job none the less. Do not try and start off a career in this dump.

Cons50 hour work week minimum with Back to School and Holiday Seasons requiring 60 hour minimum weeks, poor benefits, no support from Corporate or DM level management for in-store level management, completely unrealistic goals set by people who have no field experience with this company i.e. not enough payroll allotted nor the tools to recruit any solid employees. No loyalty whatsoever to employees who have been loyal to the company, turn a blind eye to issues that have been in a constant state of decline. Store Managers getting away with murder showing up late and leaving early on a daily basis and overall infantile behavior on SM part is UNBELIEVABLE that is a certainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow you ruin a 50 year positive track record in less than 6 months is beyond me and utterly ridiculous for one to even fathom how you screw that up. And it keeps spiraling even further down the toilet. Yes you have made some gains but the company is nowhere near where it was 3 years ago before the investment company took over. It is appalling the way you treat, have treated and will continue to treat all employees at the store level.

A Hellish Nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a paycheck every two weeks

ConsWhere do I begin? Do I start with upper management that makes decisions and send it down to the stores with no regards to whether or not it's feasible? Or with the district manager that has expectations that does not fit with the staff that they have in place? Or a store manager that can't even figure out how to get returns done? Or associates that have been there for years and are very lazy and don't want to change? These are just the beginning of what's wrong with this company. They work you like a dog and expect you to change your schedule on a dime. They play favoritism with the managers they are "friends" with. Nothing gets done because people are to busy trying to play the game of backstabbing that no one is paying attention to the fact that the store is falling apart. They reward those who don't do their jobs, and penalize the ones that are breaking their backs to try and make the place look as though it's a functioning store. They hired a CEO that has previously ran other companies out of business. Gabe's is next.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not reward managers that do their associates jobs for them. And pay closer attention to the one's that are always working and not the ones that SAY they are working, but are doing nothing. Make sure your current store are put together and functioning correctly before trying to open new ones. Much more

Gabe's now owns you.

ProsI sat here thinking about this question......there is not one good thing about Gabe's.

ConsNo personal life, insurance benefits are horrendous, no working air conditioning. District Manager is very old school in the way he speaks to his store managers. People have more respect for their animals than he does for the people who work for him.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your managers with dignity and respect. On Friday June 6th you let one third of your management staff go. Now there is not enough coverage for vacations, fmloa, until new system is up and running. Who cuts off their nose to spite their face. Company wants to be a billion dollar corp.in the next few years. My advice would have been to cut back on the pencil pushers at corp instead of the hands that feed you.

Worked for Gabriel Brothers? Contribute to the Community!